Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ignorance

GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

For anyone talking about this delay who has not read the reasons why, read this.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=336131

Aventurine actually have good reason for this delay. Mmorpg.com kids need to learn a thing or two about the game industry and not get all angry when they do not get what they want, when they want.

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...

Comments

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

Good reason? If you state a date and can't meet it, you postpone it to another. That's normal. But dfamn, don't postpone it to a date you knoqw you won't achieve. Aventurine always has been this way, postponing, giving "hope" to their fanbase and ruinbing it over and over and over.

Good reason game ha sfull of bug? They should of had this beta months ago actually. This is by far, not a reason for them to keepdrawing the game launch allll the way for years.

• Cstahler92Cstahler92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by RDBeast

For anyone talking about this delay who has not read the reasons why, read this.

Aventurine actually have good reason for this delay. Mmorpg.com kids need to learn a thing or two about the game industry and not get all angry when they do not get what they want, when they want.

The reason tells us that they have known for at least a week that it wouldn't meet the launch. So instead of announcing it the day they found out they decided to trade for the day it is scheduled to launch. Aventurine needs to learn a thing or two about business and how to treat their fanbase and potential clients with respect instead of flipping them off.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Relevant:  Rabble Rabble Rabble

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    I was hoping for a delay after seeing how not confident tasos was during the interview, the beta is a good thing, this launch needs to be perfect as it's the last chance.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529
    After looking through the suport website I was pretty sure there wouldd be a delay.  Ther are a lot of little things which go into a product.   They aren't sexy but they are every bit  as important as flashy grpahics and gameplay.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Here is a very good post my friend Adûn made on the subject on the DF forums: http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=336390 I totally agree with him.
  • GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

The thing is, as was said in the update, they need to communicate with multiple parties to make sure everyone involved is up to scratch with what is going on. There are probably some things they would have to deal with in regards to steam aswell considering the game got greenlit so fast. The process is alot more complex than people think. Maybe they should of delayed it even further in the first place but ofcourse they do want to get the game out as quickly as they can.

I want to get into the world of Agon just like anyone else who is interested in the game... But I do actually think the delay is a good thing as it means the game itself can get a bit more testing and the release should be smoother.

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    thi sis great news! Hope they delay it to may id rather a GOOD solid game be released than a buggy mess.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

Deciding to do beta after missing TWO announced release dates.

AV should have forseen that and beta been a planned part of the game's development like all other developers?

It sounds more like an excuse to me (add it to the pile) then reality.

AV has poor time management planning skills.

From my perspectice of playing the game for many years this is more likely an excuse for an unfinished product then a legitimate excuse.

AV has given so many excuses for not getting this out the door since I started playing three years ago.  Originally, it was suppose to be the next big patch (they called it an expansion but to me it sounded like what Asheron's Call pumped out every month) to the game added content and balance to the game.

Here we are today and yes they have added, changed, and fixed a more then that original patch

BUT.......

It still isn't finished and I am not happily playing it.

If I had more time I would probably be playing something else right now but RL has me busy so when that slows down if the game is out I will try it.

But if it isn't I am going to try something else that may turn my attention away.

In either case, I am sick of rationalized excuses.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Not going to play the game I believe however they are doing the right thing in postponing. Although they could have made a lot better job in the way they told their fanbase.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Tasos and his buddies stay up late trying to figure out how much crap they can shovel at the fans and still get them to support their efforts. They must have gotten a good laugh with this latest scheme. Must say though it is a novel new way to get players to pay them to test it. +1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Sure. After claiming for months how no public beta test is needed and deny any request from the community to have one they find out at laucnh date and the very day of launch  that indeed a beta test would do good.

its ridiculous if you think about it ..and yes i am laughing now

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Its not about reasons.

Its about the way they communicate that pisses people off. 

If they would have said "We'll do a beta and then release when we think it's ready". People wouldn't be so pissed. 

Also the fact that they had to wait to until the day before release doesn't help either. Makes me think about a 5 year old thats scared to tell his mom that he broke something.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

I can never understand why some get so upset over a form of entertainment, it's not like it's going to enrich their lives or make them a better person, its just entertainment, no different than a film, a tv program etc etc.

Originally posted by SysFail

I can never understand why some get so upset over a form of entertainment, it's not like it's going to enrich their lives or make them a better person, its just entertainment, no different than a film, a tv program etc etc.

your list is incomplete by missing the most important...

a hobby..

i hope you know how a hobby can be important to a person.....and the difference from passive enjoyment from entertainment and active investment in a hobby..

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

imo, it's trust and respect, which is so rare these days.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

a hobby..

i hope you know how a hobby can be important to a person.....and the difference from passive enjoyment from entertainment and active investment in a hobby..

I wouldn't consider gaming a hobby, not if all somebody does is play them. A hobby usually involves learning something new, something that expands a persons knowledge, at least that's how i perceive a hobby.

Gaming falls into entertainment for me, i certaintly haven't learnt anything i could use in the real world by playing a game that i can think of.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

tasos kind of reminds me of the host that you see when you walk into a very crowded restaurant.  you can see it's gonna be 45 minutes before you're seated and then the host says, it'll be ten minutes.

he or she is lying but you're a fool if you believe him

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

a hobby..

I wouldn't consider gaming a hobby, not if all somebody does is play them. A hobby usually involves learning something new, something that expands a persons knowledge, at least that's how i perceive a hobby.

Gaming falls into entertainment for me, i certaintly haven't learnt anything i could use in the real world by playing a game that i can think of.

i dont want to get deep into philosophical discussion ..put  "play"  goes hand in hand with "learn" ..i agree that there can be differces in qualities for example ..your  everday shooter  to a complex realistic flight simulation ..i think MMORPG's arent on the lower end  and lean towards the higher end ..at least the sandbox  type ;)

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Dovregubben
    [mod edit]

And so what have you offered to the conversation?

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

From a purely business and customer relations perspective, there is absolutely no excuse for the way this all went down.  None.  They have not only damaged their reputation further with their own player base, but they have damaged it with potential new players.  I am one of those new players, and I've seen hot dog stands run as a tighter business than AV.  The way they look to us from the outside is very indicitive of how they function inside the company, and that doesn't give me much hope that this beta and launch will be much more than a disaster.

I also believe they missed a *HUGE* opportunity here to get the jump on all those sandbox and hybrid games coming out in 2013.  As fun as the hardcore PvP in DF:UW sounds, there are way better fully-featured sandboxes coming down the line that can and will cut into AV's potential player base.  The Repopulation is one of those, and those guys are running a tight ship with regular communication not only on their forums, but on sites like this one and in the form of in-depth monthly development updates.

Greed Monger is also very interesting, and there are other games coming as well.  AV had a chance to grab a lot of new players who were disappointed with MMOs this Fall/Winter, and introduce them to something completely different.  I was very much looking forward to it myself, but now it doesn't even seem relevant.  By the time this game emerges from beta, assuming it does in the first or second quarter next year, there will several other MMOs to choose from.

I also wonder if anyone knows what "debug mode" means.  It likely means the game is going to be struggling and lagging with not only the load of players, but the load of the game being in a logging debug mode, as anyone who works in software knows.   I can already hear the beta players screaming about performance issues.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Here is a very good post my friend Adûn made on the subject on the DF forums: http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=336390 I totally agree with him.

I agree with this as well.  I think they blew it on multiple levels, and there's just no excuse for this.  They don't even have a website for this game.  You can bet they would have just turned on the shopping cart, and it all would have caved in again.

Contrast the official information available online about DF:UW to what these guys have here, including their huge monthly deve updates, and their participation on their own forums:

https://www.therepopulation.com/

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

Actually I agree more with some of the replies to the post. Maybe Aventurine could of handled this better but I am still unsure of this. They are not a large successful company but they have got alot of coverage for their game recently so I would not be surprised if it is a little overwhelming for them and that they need more time to communicate with other parties involved.

I am guessing some of you out there think I am giving them too much credit but I do not believe I am, I believe the situation is alot more complicated than most people think and they should be given some more leeway on this. People should not be so quick to judge, moan and presume.

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245

The thing is, as was said in the update, they need to communicate with multiple parties to make sure everyone involved is up to scratch with what is going on. There are probably some things they would have to deal with in regards to steam aswell considering the game got greenlit so fast. The process is alot more complex than people think. Maybe they should of delayed it even further in the first place but ofcourse they do want to get the game out as quickly as they can.

I want to get into the world of Agon just like anyone else who is interested in the game... But I do actually think the delay is a good thing as it means the game itself can get a bit more testing and the release should be smoother.

BS. Large development houses need to communicate a lot more than a small company that is self publishing and yet those companies can give delay announcements before launch day. Can't believe people take everything AV says at face value.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462
    People should not be so quick to judge, moan and presume.

This has been years in the making.

For the people that played the game for years with no real updates and paid for it well we have been patient enough.

If you are new to AV and Darkfall well you better have a crap ton of patience and be used to reading one thing and another happen. 

It was a great game that needed a lot more attention form AV.  They stopped updating the game a long time ago with promises of some big patch that eventually turned into this whole new game.  I am exited and worried at the same time.  But I am sick of excuses packaged in wording making it sound like it is in my best interest.