Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG with best engine

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

DAoC or Darkfall, easily.

No other MMO engine has been able to handle so many people on screen at once.

In Darkfall, no zones, no instances, no loading screens, real time FPS combat. The engine is above and beyond ANYTHING else.

Planetside 2 is pretty damn impressive too.

To bad darkfall and Planetside 2 are both shit games. Also dark age of camelot wants to talk to you, i've been in battles with 1000 players on screen and it was fluid. DAoC is a better game than darkfall can ever hope to be. Darkfall has load times trust me, they just use a streaming system to hide the load screens, it probally starts loading once you get near the area's border. Darkfall could be good if it would remove the player char looting on any death part, if they removed that, they would get far more people interested. I just find having to replace stuff every death to be a pain in the ass, and a unneeded part of the game. It just wastes my time having to replace gear all the time, and it would also make me not want to bother with pvp really.

The so called hardcore pvp crowd are mostly greifers that like to camp noobs due to the fact they cannot handle a fair fight. I see it all the time in these types of games. There is very VERY few of them that are really pvper's because ganking someone who has no chance to fight back is not a pvp fight, its just a pve fight bascally.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I would choose the smoothest engine that looks good with a lot people are on the screen. I'd also vote for the broadest toolset.

For now I'd say it's the Forgelight engine even though they are working the bugs. You can have a lot of people fighting at the same time in a huge persistent world. It also has a built in physics engine and great atmospheric graphics and lighting. For those with good rigs check your config file to turn the graphics up higher than you can in game.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Aelious
    I would choose the smoothest engine that looks good with a lot people are on the screen. I'd also vote for the broadest toolset.

For now I'd say it's the Forgelight engine even though they are working the bugs. You can have a lot of people fighting at the same time in a huge persistent world. It also has a built in physics engine and great atmospheric graphics and lighting. For those with good rigs check your config file to turn the graphics up higher than you can in game.

I like your quote Aelious, sadly reduce 3 weeks down to 1 week, because thats how long it takes the average mmo player to hit cap in a mmo. Some people can do it in 3 days.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68

Definately Darkfall - sweet looking world - awesome atmosphere.

Vanguard would be my next one for the same reasons

Siveria

I'm not really sure what you are referring to. We're talking about game engines right? I may have durped and not read your response right.
    Oh, LOL, now I know what you were referring to. NM LOL
  • freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    Cry Engine is the best for mmo's so far imo. Check out Entropia Universe to see what I mean. The game is wierd not for everyone but the physics on the vehicles are quite nice. and there are space ships that can travel from ground to space; and yes you have to manually land your spaceship.  The Engine is super dupper cool. :)
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

To this day I still feel that Blizzard has created an amazing engine w/ what they are able to do in WoW.  Yes, it's dated but as far as pure movement/responsiveness it's #1 in my opinion.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

MMO - Planetside 2

MMORPG - TSW's DreamWorld engine.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I can immediately think of three Lineage 2, Aika, Conquer Online. There's probably others, as well.

Edit: As to the original question, I couldn't begin to guess how many different sets of criteria everyone here is probably using to arrive at their answers. I can't say which might be the best, but I do know one that I'd really like to get my hands on, the Asheron's Call engine.

Heh, no. None of those had 600 people fighting in the same spot at the same time in a zoneless instanceless realm.

Ignorance at its finest. Lineage 2 had no real limitations like that, the world was seamless and allowed for 600 players or such to fight at one spot without instances. The same also goes for EVE Online so maybe next time you should look up facts before making claims.

I used to lead a smaller clan in L2 with and even for raids we had a lot of people showing up to fight the other clans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTmykoLLdA

On topic though, Unreal Engine is amazing but you need the full license sadly (not the UDK) meaning smaller developers aren't able to push out projects with more than 64 players in the game. Other than that it's simply amazing IMO, always been always will. :)

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61

Well if were basing on which engine is better by what game runs the smoothest than WoW is the winner. Lets be honest no mmorpg runs better or smoother than that.

I really do like the Cryengine though... I can seem to run most games with that engine pretty well.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Afaik you used to be able to fly between systems in eve. It just took days irl even on an interceptr.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    To this day I still feel that Blizzard has created an amazing engine w/ what they are able to do in WoW.  Yes, it's dated but as far as pure movement/responsiveness it's #1 in my opinion.

Have to agree, All round wow has a great mmorpg engine, Is scales well now with players, Zoning technology is excelent, and an array of features that has been added over the past 8 years.

The graphics system is but 1 facet of an Game Engine, and here were talking about mmorpg engines which require a much greater level of complexity with their networking implementation.

Eve online
    Big fan of the single server technology

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• bishbosh2bishbosh2 Member Posts: 66
    i think it is very hard to compare custom game engines designed specifically for a particular game because they are specficially built for a particular game and we really dont know anything about them. I would say the unreal engine is very good, iy has an. I have played tera beta and the game rann like a charm despite being boring and linear. hero engine seems pretty bad with swtor and we will see how cryengine goes with archeage.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont have a favorite engine to say its the best but i do like FFXIV engine. I would love to see an mmo made with Frostbite 2. Who wouldnt want full destruction environment in an mmo? It would be epic to go open world with your guild and siege the enemy city and destroy everything, or defend your city from enemy players destroying your city.

Crafting would play a mayor role for town rebuilding too.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I can immediately think of three Lineage 2, Aika, Conquer Online. There's probably others, as well.

Edit: As to the original question, I couldn't begin to guess how many different sets of criteria everyone here is probably using to arrive at their answers. I can't say which might be the best, but I do know one that I'd really like to get my hands on, the Asheron's Call engine.

Heh, no. None of those had 600 people fighting in the same spot at the same time in a zoneless instanceless realm.

Actually, each one has, and at far better performance than DAoC and Darkfall at 600. Can you link to a single 600 man battle in DAoC. I'd ask you to link to DF, as well, but I've already searched that and everything was speculation - no verifiable record of stable 600+ player battles in that game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside 2
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Idk what Age of Wushu is using, but I was super surprized at how responsive the game was (first obt) and how well it was optimized.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Fasten seatbelts please ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Planetside 2

I haven't played since beta, but it seemed smooth with a couple hundred people in game last I played. How is playability in the massive battles since release?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Planetside 2

I haven't played since beta, but it seemed smooth with a couple hundred people in game last I played. How is playability in the massive battles since release?

It differs person to person. The engine is horribly optimized at the moment in that people with medium specs can get brilliant framerates yet those on top end have slide shows. Once they get it nailed down it should be fine.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Yamota

Which one do you feel is the best engine.

I feel that only one mmo player in a thousand is even partially qualified to judge.

Not that that's ever stopped anyone from having an opinion.

^this.

Icewhite. if she wasn't so cold, she'd be cool.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Darkfall's, hands down.

the engine is solid and the net code kicks ass. In the past 3 years, I only crashed once and that was because the internet went down and i lost connection with the server.

The handling of shadows is superb, and I am anxious to see how much of an improvement DFUW will bring, with the addition of 3D sounds, post-process SFX  and more....

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    Planetside 2

It differs person to person. The engine is horribly optimized at the moment in that people with medium specs can get brilliant framerates yet those on top end have slide shows. Once they get it nailed down it should be fine.

that's actually good news. i had no idea what the deal was when i tried it the other day.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Engines that are optimised and run well and look good, for me,

FFXIV is really nice, espcially how they render vegetation, it's really pretty imo:

Wow that looks great. Never tried FF XIV. Both because of all the bad things I heard and its pure PvE approach.

This is half the problem with mmo gamers today, none actually try a game for themeselves, instead they follow the crowd and jump on the bandwagon. I always see for myself before jumping on the bandwagon, i did so with GW2 and numerous other mmo's.

Anyway i think ArcheAge wins the crown, CryEngine3 and the game looks beautiful. As for released games and smoothness then you have to say WOW is right up their. For looks i would put LOTRO up their and as much as it pains me you cant rule out GW2.

Age Of Wushu and Tera are very good as well, it's hard to really pick.