Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Agon Examiner

xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Hello again all. I don't feel like I need to introduce myself here so I'll simply state my piece to get people's opinion. I plan on blogging about the politics of DF:UW, but I'm not sure which service I should use. I have limited it down to 3 options: Wordpress, Tumblr, and MMORPG's blog service. Which one should I use to report on politics, investigations, how-to, etc for DF:UW?

I'm also looking for staff to help make the blog more successful than the last blog I ran (Bannerfall). While I did get a fair amount of traffic, I simply couldn't keep up with everything that was going on in Darkfall and eventually let it fall to wayside after getting too involved in the grind and meta. I'm especially looking for EU players to staff the blog in order to get some "live" reporting from what is happening on EU. If you would like to join the paper, or help out in some way, please send me a tell.

Also note, all sources will be kept private, just like they were for Bannerfall. So if you want to "leak" some information, your name is safe in my hands image

The Agon Examiner Is now looking for staff

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    hoping to get guaranteed beta by blogging?  good luck.
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by muffins89

Sounds like he already owns DF, meaning he will be in beta free anyway :P

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Nope. I could care less about beta. I was planning on doing this regardless. A beta test just makes some things ... easier. If you saw Bannerfall, you know that I did i wanted to, not becuase it got me anything. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

I do own DF, but what you said isn't true. I have to "pre-order" just like everyone else. The only benifit I have is that my pre-order is cheaper. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

the link to "bannerfall" you provided takes me to the mmorpg.com homepage.  where i can look at some of your previous work?
  • shadowmonkeshadowmonke Member Posts: 48

why are you doing this

it seems like a waste of time

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

Seeing as though Xpiher is already a part of the Darfall Lore itself, it would only be fitting ;) I look forward to the blog. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

the link to "bannerfall" you provided takes me to the mmorpg.com homepage.  where i can look at some of your previous work?

hmm for whatever reason the link didn't carry over properly. I've edited the OP accordingly. The link is also below

https://bannerfall.wordpress.com/

Edit: I didn't keep up with the blog nearly as much as I had liked. Real life got busy at the time and the game politics started to flow in a way I couldn't keep up with, especially since I was more involved than I had been on early EU and post-transfer NA. Its hard to do a "objective" analysis of the political meta game when your guild was directly involved with EVERYTHING

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by xpiher

hmm for whatever reason the link didn't carry over properly. I've edited the OP accordingly. The link is also below

Edit: I didn't keep up with the blog nearly as much as I had liked. Real life got busy at the time and the game politics started to flow in a way I couldn't keep up with, especially since I was more involved than I had been on early EU and post-transfer NA. Its hard to do a "objective" analysis of the political meta game when your guild was directly involved with EVERYTHING

meh.  don't try to take on too much.  you could write something completly from your guilds perspective and it could still be interesting.  focus on a smaller part of the game and i think your writing would benefit.  it doesnt have to be un-biased,  just write about your experience in the game.  also,  i vote no on using wordpress.  that site looked like junk.

meh.  don't try to take on too much.  you could write something completly from your guilds perspective and it could still be interesting.  focus on a smaller part of the game and i think your writing would benefit.  it doesnt have to be un-biased,  just write about your experience in the game.  also,  i vote no on using wordpress.  that site looked like junk.

Its been improved since the last time I've used it. Its a lot closer to Tumblr now, but with more layout options and the ability to add more authors. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Dovregubben
    [mod edit]

Just let him be a newsman, then he wont do any harm.

Last time he visited darkfall, he defended the insane grind for two years over 10000 posts. He left when the game only had 300 macroers/exploiters still playing. He is the death to DFUW if he starts posting on anything game related.

Great idea xipher, you cover the politics. Are you planning on doing bouth servers or only NA?

Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by Dovregubben
    [mod edit]

Just let him be a newsman, then he wont do any harm.

Last time he visited darkfall, he defended the insane grind for two years over 10000 posts. He left when the game only had 300 macroers/exploiters still playing. He is the death to DFUW if he starts posting on anything game related.

Great idea xipher, you cover the politics. Are you planning on doing bouth servers or only NA?

1) I didn't defend the grind for 2 years. I defend the grind after it only took 2-3 months to have a viable character until they changed how rays worked. That's when I lost intrest in the game

2) Game play related I suggested serveral things that actually made it into DF:UW in some fashion: The way the new village system works is nearly identical to my PCPZ in my suggestion thread, infused materials is similar to "impure" ore to change stats. 

3) I want to cover both NA and EU politics, but I'll be on the NA server. 1 person has offered to help cover EU politics. I'll have to give him/her a test run before deciding if I want him on staff

OT: I still need more staff members. I hope to have a team of 4-6 people working on the blog at launch. Anyone intrested 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
     Im interested in hearing what you have to say. Hopefully it will be unbiased and we can finally get some truth. If its one thing DFO didnt give us last time, it was the truth about what they promised.

Originally posted by Callidor
     Im interested in hearing what you have to say. Hopefully it will be unbiased and we can finally get some truth. If its one thing DFO didnt give us last time, it was the truth about what they promised.

Most of the 2008 feature list was in the game at launch. The only things I can remember that weren't are 4-legged run, stiffer alignment penalties, skill cap with skill decay.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Most of the 2008 feature list was in the game at launch. The only things I can remember that weren't are 4-legged run, stiffer alignment penalties, skill cap with skill decay.

Please don't start this again.  I won't disagree that many things they had listed were in game, but to use the descriptions that they had posted was grey-borderline criminal.

Originally posted by thinktank001

Please don't start this again.  I won't disagree that many things they had listed were in game, but to use the descriptions that they had posted was grey-borderline criminal.

I speficially said their 2008 feature list. The one they released right before launch. The 2006ish feature list that was still on the main website was borderline criminal, and people who didn't frequent the forums wouldn't know that it was outdated. I give you that.

On topic: I think I'll be using Blogger instead of the three options I listed here. The main reason being is that I get the same functonality I get from say Wordpress, but at a cheaper price should I choose to go "preimum." 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

I have decided to use wordpress.com. I found a style I like with the proper widgets. Looking for staff members. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

my only concern is that every "retelling" of an event in darfall that I have ever heard was VASTLY different than the actual way it went down. These retellings are often SO biased.

If we can know that wont happen I think this would only help promote the game. UO had something similar. 

Just thought of the perfect example that many will remember: The proving of the term "mercmath" by Frank Sinatra when, after the Mercs denied having such massive numbers, he posted the city logs proving TMs accounting of the siege to be completely false. 

• cevendercevender Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Callidor

it would be nice to see two sides of the story when big alliances are going to war and not the biased part that appear on forumfall..

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I have decided to use wordpress.com. I found a style I like with the proper widgets. Looking for staff members. 

Finding staff members might be a bit difficult. You really haven't given any indication that you won't just follow the same route as last time and abandon the site after five months. Why not just start off doing news at another site rather than bite off what you've already proven is more than you can chew?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Finding staff members might be a bit difficult. You really haven't given any indication that you won't just follow the same route as last time and abandon the site after five months. Why not just start off doing news at another site rather than bite off what you've already proven is more than you can chew?

Last time I was in the process of getting a new job. I have that job now. I've already found some people to be on staff, but they are all european. I need people who plan on playing the NA server to be on staff. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Consequence

my only concern is that every "retelling" of an event in darfall that I have ever heard was VASTLY different than the actual way it went down. These retellings are often SO biased.

If he can pull this of, it would benefit everyone.

He could let the leaders of the sieges give their short description of the battle and put their statements into the article. Sure it wouldn`t be completly neutral, but it would give some information. There was a post on forumfall that tried to collect the names of the clanleaders. That info could be handy for someone trying to get some info about the politic. He could also use clan pages, youtube videos and forumfall to get info.

The main instrument we all used to get the news back in the old days, was the Urme-map. Any news page without some sort of Urme-map or atleast a link to one, will fail. The Urme-map was the best thing ever made for Darkfall politics, and it was a blast to see how the world constantly changed. If the mainpage had a permanent link to an Urme-map, a yourmom map and news about the politics, it have potential to get really popular.

I wish you luck Xphier.....as long as you stay away from the grind debate. :P

Still looking for NA staff members. Other than that, the blog is up at wordpress. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher