Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Followup to Yesterday's Announcement

BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
We do understand the frustration after yesterday's announcement. Today we need to clarify a few things after reading through your comments:

We truly regret the last minute announcement, but we want you to know that we didn't wait until the last minute to make it; we made it as soon as we had the information. We also want you to know that 55 people fought until the last minute to make that announcement unnecessary. This is not a matter of lack of respect towards the community; it's a matter of unfortunate timing. Our respect for the community is part of our process; we factor it into most of our decisions. We have done our best to improve our community interaction and communication and we will continue to do so through this setback.

We don't need to tell you how incredibly complex MMO development is, with thousands of things needing to come together and how issues can pop up at the last minute. It's ultimately our duty to do what's best for the game and for our players. That's why we didn't launch the game today, and it's why we decided to take this opportunity to put it through beta. We're not using Steam as an excuse. We're gamers and we love Steam and what it has brought to our gaming experience, so it's natural to want our game to launch on Steam.

Instead of simply announcing a delay yesterday, we decided to attack the issues, look at it as an opportunity to make the game better by involving the community, and to give it a chance at a better launch. We hope that the community will ultimately agree that we made the right choices. Until then, we would like to apologize for the disappointment our announcement caused.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    We do understand the frustration after yesterday's announcement. Today we need to clarify a few things after reading through your comments:

We truly regret the last minute announcement, but we want you to know that we didn't wait until the last minute to make it; we made it as soon as we had the information. We also want you to know that 55 people fought until the last minute to make that announcement unnecessary. This is not a matter of lack of respect towards the community; it's a matter of unfortunate timing. Our respect for the community is part of our process; we factor it into most of our decisions. We have done our best to improve our community interaction and communication and we will continue to do so through this setback.

We don't need to tell you how incredibly complex MMO development is, with thousands of things needing to come together and how issues can pop up at the last minute. It's ultimately our duty to do what's best for the game and for our players. That's why we didn't launch the game today, and it's why we decided to take this opportunity to put it through beta. We're not using Steam as an excuse. We're gamers and we love Steam and what it has brought to our gaming experience, so it's natural to want our game to launch on Steam.

Instead of simply announcing a delay yesterday, we decided to attack the issues, look at it as an opportunity to make the game better by involving the community, and to give it a chance at a better launch. We hope that the community will ultimately agree that we made the right choices. Until then, we would like to apologize for the disappointment our announcement caused.

Thank you for reading.

Taosos is the producer and personally responssible for this mess. 

Should be fired, not the first time he prooved he can't run a project .

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

He is making it sound like his hands are tied.  The organizational structure sounds convoluted.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Thank you for reading.

I still support the guy for trying to do something no AAA company has the balls to.  Give him a raise.

• Cstahler92Cstahler92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by wrekognize

Thank you for reading.

I still support the guy for trying to do something no AAA company has the balls to.  Give him a raise.

AAA companies don't to it becuase if they did they wouldn't be where they are today.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

tasos is a very dividing figure.

he should be criticized for biting off way more than aventurine could chew... and be praised for the exact same reason.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

He is making it sound like his hands are tied.  The organizational structure sounds convoluted.

I didn't get that at all from the post.

What I do get however is that AV needs to learn about management and planning. AV sounds like a bunch of college kids who do their homework at the last minute but can't make it. The line about how their employees 'fought'  up to the last minute doesn't help them either. Why? Because they were about to release a 'finished' product (i.e ready for launch/sales) . Hasting developers like this often results in a pretty buggy 'final'  product.  Rather than giving players a launch date that they're not entirely sure they can make it, or that it might be very tight on schedule, well they should just give themselves some additional days and rather than saying they'd launch the 12th, they could've said the 19th for example. In which case, even if they do manage to finish the work earlier than the launch date, well they've got time to squash the early bugs that added themselves to this change, and possibly even release the game slightly earlier than intended.

Now they're going from a product ready-for-launch to a Beta, 1-hour before launch date, because they're not happy about the state of the game, that's some pretty serious lack of management.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Cstahler92
    Originally posted by wrekognize

Thank you for reading.

AAA companies don't to it becuase if they did they wouldn't be where they are today.

With their millions of $ lost. Layoffs and cutbacks? ah, ok. sure.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    <span com_body"="">That part made me laugh so hard : "We don’t need to tell you how incredibly complex MMO development is, with thousands of things needing to come together and how issues can pop up at the last minute. It’s ultimately our duty to do what’s best for the game and for our players" So if its so complex, why did these guys decided to scrap the original game instead of fixing it? Doesn't make any sense to me. Why wasting time to create a "new" game that might give them the same bad name as the original instead of fixing the original game to prove us they can make a good game. These guys are hilarious really.
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    <span com_body"="">That part made me laugh so hard : "We don’t need to tell you how incredibly complex MMO development is, with thousands of things needing to come together and how issues can pop up at the last minute. It’s ultimately our duty to do what’s best for the game and for our players" So if its so complex, why did these guys decided to scrap the original game instead of fixing it? Doesn't make any sense to me. Why wasting time to create a "new" game that might give them the same bad name as the original instead of fixing the original game to prove us they can make a good game. These guys are hilarious really.

Sometimes it's better to start again from scratch. If the first engine was coded poorly, or was too limiting, than it's better to start over with a new engine that has more capabilities to answer your needs and is more adapatable.

Square Enix are doing the same thing with FFXIV ARR, they've remade the game from scratch using a newly created engine to better tailor their game.

• KnutCupKnutCup Member UncommonPosts: 21

There is and was no MMO games comparible to DarkFall 1.0, with the truly "Open World" and true "Full Loot" Period.

If AV thinks they can improve upon a game that I absolutely enjoyed thru and thru, I am definately "IN" with NO second thouights.

Games such as these take an incredible amount of resources and knowledge to come about, and I am really not expecting a "perfect" game when it is finally released, because I know the difficulty, I am absolutely willing to be patient and look forward to the best MMO out there.

Bitching and complaining will not light a fire under anyones ass to release quicker, I applaud AV for the move. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I think from the beginning of the announcement of Darkfall:Unholy Wars there should have been a decision to also make it known they would have a beta for the community to test the game before release. They need community feedback.

I'm interested still in trying Darkfall:Unholy Wars, but seeing how they handle things already, I'm inclined to wait after release for feedback from players. Hopefully, there will be very positive reviews so that I can have an mmo to play again. Haven't had a good one to play in years.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• fredfourfredfour Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Tayah

I think from the beginning of the announcement of Darkfall:Unholy Wars there should have been a decision to also make it known they would have a beta for the community to test the game before release. They need community feedback.

I'm interested still in trying Darkfall:Unholy Wars, but seeing how they handle things already, I'm inclined to wait after release for feedback from players. Hopefully, there will be very positive reviews so that I can have an mmo to play again. Haven't had a good one to play in years.

Aventurine and the whole darkfall media relation and or announcements has always been and always will be like that.  to say you want to wait from player feedback you'd just be shooting yourself in the leg.  in this type of game better face it from the first day to get that extra edge.

To put some things into perspective for you, when they opened the NA1 servers and promissed char transfers from EU1 we had to wait 6+ months for that to happen with multiple "delays" message from them.  When NA1 opened up there was no clear announcement for the ordering of the game or anything except a message from them like 30minutes before saying orders will be anailable in 30 mins or something like that.

A frien and I were able to log in the NA1 server 20 minutes before everybody else and the name of the server was still named BETA server so they only renamed their test server for a Live launch.  that is just how this company rolls since 2000, don't expect things to change 12-13 years later for these guys.

all you can do is wait, hope, wait again and try to get an account this friday or whwnever this thing really pulls through and enjoy this great game.. the game is great will be great even with shit management from Aventurine.

• GeneralSurgeryGeneralSurgery Member Posts: 4

Thank you for reading.

He's the entire reason that we even got to play DF 1.0 in the first place.

If there was no Tasos, there would be no game. I'm willing to wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU25YJ9iLpw

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by GeneralSurgery

Thank you for reading.

He's the entire reason that we even got to play DF 1.0 in the first place.

If there was no Tasos, there would be no game. I'm willing to wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU25YJ9iLpw

Welcome to MMORPG.COM ... Tasos.  image

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

We don't need to tell you how incredibly complex MMO development is, with thousands of things needing to come together and how issues can pop up at the last minute.

That's why we didn't launch the game today, and it's why we decided to take this opportunity to put it through beta. 

Life is incredibly complex with millions of things that can come up last minute.  You need to plan better for those few thousand that may come up with this part of life.  Time Management Skills.

Deciding to do beta after missing TWO announced release dates.

Shouldn't you have forseen that and beta been a planned part of the game's development like all other developers?

It sounds more like an excuse to me (add it to the pile) then reality.

"More information on the playtesting process and on the pre-orders, will become available in separate announcements starting tomorrow. We’ll also be happy to address your concerns and provide answers to your questions." - Tasos

Nothing new today except a bunch of excuses, no more info, and just them lying. Anyone surprised?

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    "More information on the playtesting process and on the pre-orders, will become available in separate announcements starting tomorrow. We’ll also be happy to address your concerns and provide answers to your questions." - Tasos

Nothing new today except a bunch of excuses, no more info, and just them lying. Anyone surprised?

no you guys got an opology  they just cant miss the pre orers and stuff friday for all this to go away

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Nope.

Originally posted by xzyax

Nope.

At this point I'm willing to bet that Preorders aren't coming Friday.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Nope.

and if they dont come there just going to make things worse if they do come then we know av hasnt bene lieing and people need to stop qqing

Originally posted by Raxeon

Nope.

and if they dont come there just going to make things worse if they do come then we know av hasnt bene lieing and people need to stop qqing

Weird logic.

It's like the boy who cried wolf and nobody believed him until finally a wolf did appear. Of course it's going to happen eventually, they may as well just say "We'll release the game someday" and it won't be a lie this way...then again they could always drop it but I doubt they'd do that at this stage... Still, weird logic you have there.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by Raxeon

Nope.

it does not matter if they meet the deadline this friday as the have lied to us up to this point, so even if they do make it, it does not excuse how poorly they have handled to community up untill now.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG