Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Most hated MMORPG

123457»

Comments

• KiraRebornKiraReborn Member Posts: 10
    dido not many on here i havent played though ill agree that at least 2 on here arent favs i wont say which cuz people get upset when they get their games dissed lol
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Voted other because it changes based on what ever is most popular at a given time.

So you hate an MMORPG just because it is the most popular? image

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    All of the games on the list are playable.  It's games like Alganon and P2W MMOs that are the worst.

Playable and hated is not the same thing. I hate WoW because I feel it ruined the MMORPG genre by turning it from a hardcore, free form, virtual world game to a linear, simple, single player ThemePark crap.

I am sure WoW is very playable, but that does not make me hate it less.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I am just totally going to go against the grain and not hate any games.
  • LerockLerock Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Star Wars was such a dissapointment. I was so excited for it, now I just can't stand to look at the game, and the f2p version is just gasoline on the fire.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Iselin

It's not unusual for MMORPGs to promise more than they deliver. As a matter of fact, it's the norm once the spin monkeys get the hype machine started. But I don't remember any others being quite as bad as AOC with the fun and mostly polished Tortage that we got to see in beta and then the unmitigated disaster of a game that came after that. I know I wasn't the only one who felt decieved.

No, thats not actually the norm.

If you really read calmly what developers publish about their game, its usually pretty close to the final product.

The problem is "hype". There arent just developers who talk about their game. There are marketing guys who describe the game in the most nicest colors possible, then there are game magazines who add to the buzz, then there are the players themselves who suddenly expect stuff nobody ever promised them.

For example, I had read the Wikipedia page of Age of Conan and was thus completely uninterested in the game. And when AoC came out, it was exactly what the Wikipedia page described. And yet lots and lots of gamers complained ! They had expected something that was never actually promised to them.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I voted Aion because of the bugs and glitches, horrible crafting system, horrible enchanting system and general disappointment with the flying.
  • AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    I voted Aion because of the bugs and glitches, horrible crafting system, horrible enchanting system and general disappointment with the flying.

It looked too good to be true. Is it f2p yet?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Yamota

Playable and hated is not the same thing. I hate WoW because I feel it ruined the MMORPG genre by turning it from a hardcore, free form, virtual world game to a linear, simple, single player ThemePark crap.

I am sure WoW is very playable, but that does not make me hate it less.

WOW didn't do that all by itself. "hardcore, free form, virtual world" is a niche that a minority of those who play MMORPGs enjoy. Some of us enjoy it so much that we spend countless hours here discussing better ways to achieve that and using fringe MMOs hardly anyone has ever heard off as examples. It's pretty clear from the buying patterns of the general MMORPG playing public that they're consuming what they want to play.

If you're going to blame WOW for anything blame it for creating a game with the mass appeal to surpass anything that had ever been seen before or since in this genre. They single-handedly created the mainstream MMORPG market and brought them into the realm of mainstream entertainment. They brought a lot of new people into the genre who had never played the MMOs that came before it.

To these "new" players (who aren't so new any longer... they are now the bulk of MMOers) these "hardcore, free form, virtual worlds" are just ancient quaint ideas. What they hear us saying is that in the good ole days we were "real players" because we walked all the way there and back in the snow and it was uphill both ways.

What Blizzard did was to begin adding lots of convenience factors and lots of guided story questing. And all of the new MMORPGS that can boast 1 million plus players even briefly just have variations on that theme with a few refinements. GW2, which will soon be proclaimed the 2012 MMORPG of the year here and elsewhere, adds even more convenience, not less. The auto-banking of crafting resources and listing items for sale or shopping while you're out in the middle of nowhere are examples of convenience taken to a level that is unheard off even in WOW. And their Dynamic Events are a just a new spin on guided story content.

My intent is not to berate you and I hope you don't take it that way. I'm just saying that hating the WOW themepark model and all of its clones for what they did to "real MMOs" makes about as much sense as hating automobiles for what they did to the horse and buggy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

I think wow does need to carry some of the blame because they lead the industry. Wow has a unique position of being the face of this genre and the actions of activision does have a trickle down effect on all other titles. Look at swtor they modeled themselves on wow because from an investment perspective they believed you could catch lightening in a bottle twice. They did not/could not. The point is when the leader does something "new" or adds a feature that their community enjoys other games follow suit take gw2 with ascended gear for example. The people behind wow have a responsibility to their customers and the community as a whole to take the industry in the right direction.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Skuz
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Well you forgot to add Lotro because that would get my vote. By far the worst interpretation of what a Lotr world should look like. Clunky combat, horrible art work and terrible voice acting. Character models look horrific as well. Pretty much safe to say unless they to a complete 360 I would never buy a Turbine game anymore.

A complete 360?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/180

Oh cmon a 360 is perfect for the game.

Originally posted by Yizle
    Originally posted by Skuz
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Well you forgot to add Lotro because that would get my vote. By far the worst interpretation of what a Lotr world should look like. Clunky combat, horrible art work and terrible voice acting. Character models look horrific as well. Pretty much safe to say unless they to a complete 360 I would never buy a Turbine game anymore.

A complete 360?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/180

Oh cmon a 360 is perfect for the game.

I like his style. Gamers will never expect it. I can hear the reaction now "hey guys the devs are changing things up big time the game will never be the same" then the 360 move "wtf this is the exact same game rabble rabble."