Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm here for the crow.

Since its debut, I was of the strong opinion that Star Wars wouldn't last into December of 2012. In fact, I was very vocal about this. So I'm here to formally state that I was wrong about the potential longevity of the game.

I have to say, I'm not a fan of companies that cut corners to try and rake in the bucks, and EA is certainly guilty of doing that here as is ArenaNet with Guild Wars 2 (the game I champion) suddenly chaning their design philosophy and, out of the blue, deciding to introduce "prestige" armor.

So - SWTOR fans. I was wrong. Mea culpa. Who's got the tobasco sauce?

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I still love you

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Hmmm citing the president from famous movie 2012 (not exact words, I am too old to remember)

"How many people came to me admitting  that they were wrong. Zero."

I applaud you Sir:). You are a rare person on this forum.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    don't worry I was wrong too.  I thought buying the CE was a good idea.  At least your mistake didn't cost $120+ tax.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

a person admitting to failure on the internet?  i guess the world ends tomorrow

i admire your honesty , sir,,if you have played SWTOR for more than a week, i would say its punishment enough

next time this happens,, just flame the opponent for bad english or spelling

or go on a rant on a totally different subject,,that confuses most people

thank god i only wasted 75 on DD version,,at least i dont have a physical copy to remind me of this failure

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220

Don't feel bad, op. I said just before launch that TOR would have 4-5 million subs after a year.

I find crow is a little more palatible with a nice spicy  salsa :)

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

What I found extremely funny was the disappearance of    IN BIOWARE WE TRUST signatures in these forums.

Alot of people had those and then then gradually, nothing, lmao....

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Jerek_
    don't worry I was wrong too.  I thought buying the CE was a good idea.  At least your mistake didn't cost $120+ tax.

^---- This.

It was a painful lesson...it hit my pockets. =/

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Game has its share of issues - and EA/Bioware are not what I would call pleasant or trust-inducing companies.

That said, there's a surprising amount of good stuff and a reasonably solid core (it's based on WoW, after all). I find myself quite entertained - and though the class stories are separated by a shit-ton of mostly boring sidequests - there are still several interesting tales to be experienced.

They have several features that stand out and come together as more than the sum of their parts. The companions, the gear/mod system, the Codex, the datacrons, the space missions, the surprisingly fun PvP, some honest-to-god world PvP when questing (you actually meet people regularly on certain planets) and so on. Nothing that by itself is super interesting or impressive - but when combined means one of the most entertaining theme parks MMOs.

Yes, the engine sucks and EA didn't deliver anything near the potential of the setting or the amount of money invested. But once you get past the EA/Bio hatred - the game isn't bad.

This is coming from someone who started out liking it, then hating it, then really liking it - then being somewhat "meh" - and now back to really liking it. It's not a miracle by any means - but it's one of the best available and the most appealing to me, right now.

i feel for u man,,i have NEVER seen a CE box that was worth the price,,no matter what IP

yea they hornswoggled some of my money,,but i think the bad rep will hurt them more in the long run

they had the biggest IP in gaming, and so many resources, and this what they made?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I agree that buying the CE edition is a mistake I'll never do again. The VIP choices was a bunch of  BS. I was completely wrong with the expected subscriber base. The are several things that dissapoint me such as how static the world feels and how social life is focused on a fleet. However, I can still remain objective and see that the game is still very polished and has a number of strengths if you like the WOW playstyle without reading a wall of text for quests. It will not die any time soon as so many stated it would earlier in the year and still has potential to change direction. In the meantime, I focus on the story only and play GW2 for my more social fix even if the zones in that game too feel a little less filled with each week that goes by.

There Is Always Hope!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    I love my CE box. Somebody's trash is somebody's treasure :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

The CE stuff for any game is usually only worth it in terms of sentimental value.  For Star Wars, it would be the worth it if you are a Star Wars nerd to the max.  The CE for say Age of Conan would be worth it if you were a Conan nerd to the max.  Statues, books with drawings in them, a week early access and a title is usually all you get with a CE in any MMO game, so you really have to like that other stuff a whole lot to justify it.  

Look, there are a ton of Star Wars nerds to the max, so I'm not surprised they sold a lot of them and those that bought it enjoy it. 

As far as how long this game lasts?  I suspect probably 5 more years with modest improvements along the way on a very scaled down developement team.  I doubt large scale PvP will ever be fixed as the game engine just doesn't handle it, and that's a fundamental problem. Plus, how do you make it meaningful when the PvE side of the game is "themepark on rails"?   I think once people do the various class specific stories, run through the operations enough times and realize that the PvP is just not interesting and unbalanced, that the game lasts about 5 years. I suspect the game goes on "life support" mode in 2014 after F2P doesn't bring in enough $$ and then closes its doors in late 2017.