Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Faction weapons in Planetside - did SOE even spend time balancing this game?

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Seriously...did SOE do any balancing regarding the weapons - especially the rifles and pistols.   I say this becuase playing NC in Planetside 2 is frustrating when your bullets go all over the fricking place no matter how in control you are.  Even with the forward grip cert - there is little change to CoF for NC weapons.  The recoil is horrendous.    

I just want to say, that I did an experiment.    I have now played all three factions in this game and as I see it, the majority of NC weapons are crap.  Plain and simple.    I created a Vanu character and a TR character to see the differences.   Vanu hands down have the best over all weapons in the game.   That includes main battle tank - practically zero drop in rounds as the fly to target - it's like using a laser it is almost that accurate - and at a distance - it beats any of the the other two factions main battle tanks.    

Going back to combat arms.   I started PS2 playing NC.   I noticed that the NC whenever they went against Vanu or TR, even if we out numbered them, we had a hard time taking ground.    It's becuase the Vanu and TR have superior fire power.   I would rate them like this.

1. Vanu
  2. TR
  3. other
  4. NC
You noticed the other I put in the list.   That's because anything else is better than the NC in this game.    NC just plain suck.   Maybe that is why on many of the games servers they are dominated by either Vanu or TR.   NC is garbage.  

As I mentioned I did an experiment.  I can say this without a doubt, because now that I have played all the factions for some time, my K/D for the various factions is not even in the ball park with one another.   I am a decent FPS player.   I had a decent K/D for PS1 and I expected the same going into PS2.    Imagine my surprise to learn that my faction of choice is the most gimped faction of the game.    I just couldn't believe that the NC weapons were as bad as I was seeing.   Surely the other factions weapons are just as bad. 

Right...right?

Not even.    My first experience with NC weapons I left the game scratching my head.   I was like, why can't I hit anything?  I can't be that bad of player.    I managed a .5 K/D with the N/C my first 10 hours of gaming with them.    A .5 - that means I died twice as much as I was killing( 1 to 2 ratio).    Like I said, I am a decent FPS player.   I can shoot a player off a castle wall in a full gallop from the back of my mount in Mount and Blade: Warband with a bow.     Anyone that has played that game knows that is no easy task.   I have played countless hours of PS1, BF2, CoD, and a smatterig of other FPS games.    So it is not my ability or skills as a player - I am not that bad.   Hell I do not even use a recticle to aim with in Skyrim.  Really, I am not that bad of FPS player.  Except in PS2 playing NC.

I really couldn't believe I was that bad.  I was right...I am not that bad.   I created a Vanu character and right away, I knew things were like night and day.    In my first fight as a Vanu, in the first battle I dropped into, and in the first 3 minutes I made rank 2.   By the time that battle was over I had battle rank 4 and a K/D of 7/1 - yes, that is right - 7 to 1.  For every 7 players I killed I died once.   The basic starter weapon for the Vanu light assault is like a killing machine.  That is just their basic starter weapon!  

The infiltrator pistol is extremely deadly and accurate as hell and can pick people off at insane distances.    Don't even get me started on the differences of the starter sniper rifles.    People say Vanu are weak in that area.   Not even.  It is a semi-auto, that shoots further with little drop, and is accurate as all Vanu weapons.   So easy to get headshots with that weapon at a distance compared to the NC and TR starter sniper rifles.  

By the way, my K/D on my Vanu character stands at 5/1.     That is after 12hrs of game play on it.   

TR weapons are almost as good as the Vanu.   Little, to no, recoil, less damage, but hey...when you are firing a gazillion rounds in a matter of seconds - what does it matter.  You kill what you aim at 75% of the time.   I managed a 4/1 K/D on my TR character.   Compare the Vanu and TR K/D's with that of my NC character with it's poultry K/D of 1/2.    Something is not right with the game balance in Planetside 2.  

SOE needs to buff the NC weapons to be on par with the Vanu and TR.   It is sad that there is that much of an extreme difference in the factions.   It became clear to me after playing the three, why so many people were playing Vanu and TR compared to NC.   NC weapons are the suck - there is no other good way to say it.

So unless you like a serious challange - stay as far away from NC in this game as you can.    I'd be like everyone else and go either Vanu or Terran Republic - at least with these two factions you have a decent balance.   For me, I am not even sure I'll continue to play unless SOE fixes this.  I love playing for the NC and if I can't play NC...why play at all.   :(

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Not played tr

Have a nc alt on one of the American servers

The nc sniper rifle is way way better than the vs one.
  • iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Not played trHave a nc alt on one of the American serversThe nc sniper rifle is way way better than the vs one.

Before I reply to Teala's post,

Shakymo, you are stating that ONE weapon makes up for an ENTIRE arsenal of crap equipment? Like Teala said, the mag can basically snipe targets (Has the hover advantage already to boot). Majority of your weapons maintain no drop and have great damage at long distance (Which is broken I admit, but even so that needs fixing asap). What do we get? Weapons with a spread of COF that blooms bigger than a sunflower, a tank that lacks engine power and granted does have a nice boom factor on the weapons. We also get totally craptard Jackhammer ripoff that requires you invest hundreds of cert points to extend the clip size. Those are just the highlights.

But nevermind, our sniper rifle owns. That's great, I don't even play Infiltrator.

As for Teala's actual post, I agree with everything you say. And because I agree, it explains why half the time I'm playing this game I'm either piloting a liberator, flying a reaver or driving a vehicle of some sort. And on foot I tend to be the engineer behind the max repairing him and reloading his ammo. Because in a fair 1v1 fight, the other enemy infantry can take me down easily before my 4th bullet lands (Due to constant misses when past close quarter combat).

EDIT: Like Teala, consider myself also to be a decent FPS player. My K/D as it stands on NC is 1.7 after over 52hours played. My K/D on my TR toon is a 8.9 still after 16hours played.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Does SOE even lift?

But the weapons are pretty balanced. The factions weapons are meant to behave differently.

• OnisDEOnisDE Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Validate your statement with raw data on weapon A vs weapon B vs etc... otherwise it's just your opinion. Being better in one faction than another may simply mean your play style is better suited to overcoming that factions defecits.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

@Teala...

Very rarely are you and I completely of opposite opinions but seriously...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/13a0jc/the_definitive_damage_time_to_kill_and_overall/

Damage:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApH3DlM1yfRAdGNuWDg5VFVFVzAxdnFiaFlKUGNxWUE&output=html

Time To Kill:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApH3DlM1yfRAdDF2ZjR4U2xFZG52ZmNCcl9mXy01SVE&output=html

Weapon Data :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12

P.S.  Devs have acknowledged in the forums that NC does infact suck though.  Vanu have no bullet drop.  TR have fast reloads.  NC is supposed to be slow and powerful but it kinda fails.

P.P.S.  2 NC medic gold medal guns.  Woot woot!  :-)

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Well if what I am saying is wrong, than why are their dozens of threads in the official forums, reddit, and other game websites all saying the same thing.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    ...played all 3 sides.......close balanced, a bit of a difference yes, nada to cry about on the guns....the airpower I agree on.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

Originally posted by Ikeda

@Teala...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/13a0jc/the_definitive_damage_time_to_kill_and_overall/

Damage:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApH3DlM1yfRAdGNuWDg5VFVFVzAxdnFiaFlKUGNxWUE&output=html

Time To Kill:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApH3DlM1yfRAdDF2ZjR4U2xFZG52ZmNCcl9mXy01SVE&output=html

Weapon Data :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12

P.S.  Devs have acknowledged in the forums that NC does infact suck though.  Vanu have no bullet drop.  TR have fast reloads.  NC is supposed to be slow and powerful but it kinda fails.

I just came from the main forum boards, two of the top post were about this very issue.    People leaving NC and TR to play Vanu, and weapons imbalance - yes, Planetside is balanced and has no issues.   ::rolls her eyes::

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

@Teala...

i'm confused. your sources say nc is UP. teala says nc is UP. don't you two have the same opinion here, or am i missing something?

that said, i have a 1.6kdr as an nc, so i'm not sure what everyone's complaining about. (not as nice as a 5kdr or 7kdr, but i'm not a very good fps player).

Originally posted by atticusbc

Originally posted by Ikeda @Teala... Very rarely are you and I completely of opposite opinions but seriously...
    i'm confused. your sources say nc is UP. teala says nc is UP. don't you two have the same opinion here, or am i missing something?

that said, i have a 1.6kdr as an nc, so i'm not sure what everyone's complaining about. (not as nice as a 5kdr or 7kdr, but i'm not a very good fps player).

Basically, half my kills from my compact gauss S on my engineer are from the Grenade Launcher attachment. Because even though I have Single, burst and fullauto fire modes, I stand no chance unless I get the drop on a TR or VS Engi with even a standard issue weapon.

And then on my engineer on TR, I have no such trouble, I mow down enemies easily. And then the MCG for the heavy? Wow, I cannot even begin to explain the amazing factor it has that puts the NC Jackhammer and VS Lasher to shame.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by NeokiNaomi

Originally posted by atticusbc

Originally posted by Ikeda @Teala... Very rarely are you and I completely of opposite opinions but seriously...

Basically, half my kills from my compact gauss S on my engineer are from the Grenade Launcher attachment. Because even though I have Single, burst and fullauto fire modes, I stand no chance unless I get the drop on a TR or VS Engi with even a standard issue weapon.

And then on my engineer on TR, I have no such trouble, I mow down enemies easily. And then the MCG for the heavy? Wow, I cannot even begin to explain the amazing factor it has that puts the NC Jackhammer and VS Lasher to shame.

granted i have spent some time perfecting my weapon build for my nc ha. also i haven't played other empires so my opinion isn't really balanced.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I do think NC got the short end of stick with their infantry weapons, excpet for their infiltrators starting off with a bolt action. Their Reavers are pretty darn agile as well, though supposedly that's a bug and TR were suppose to have the fastest ESF's.

Otherwise from the few weapon charts i've seen TR and VS weapons are better in almost every way, the tiny damage bonus NC gets really doesn't give them any kind of edge when the other two factions can put out more bullets at a much better accuracy than they can.

Also NC theme music...image

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Also NC theme music...

This I totally agree with also, WHY did they change the awesome old Industrial theme to a new 80's buckrock sound :(.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Str8Dumpin is NC, he posted some videos of his reaver kill streaks during double xp weekend.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/showthread.php?t=51136

There's plenty of good players playing NC.. They might need to tweak the recoil a little bit, but not too much, because you do have sick dmg per shot.

Cert into a grip, and counter the recoil with your mouse.

Or... Reroll TR.

Vanu4life!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I find NC the best faction to play and get the most kills with them.. i really dont get peoples issues..

then again people complain that the flying is really hard in PS2 lol..

When you cert stuff and what have you I don't think it makes much difference

Main reasons I play vs is I played them in the first one and I like the vanu audio when you take bases and stuff. But there's downside to playing vanu too namely getting crushed by tank noobs.
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I find NC the best faction to play and get the most kills with them.. i really dont get peoples issues..

then again people complain that the flying is really hard in PS2 lol..

So you mainly play a pilot.  I am not discussing aircraft easy kill rocket pod spam jockeys.   We're talking combat arms weapons mostly.   It doesn't take that much skill to fly around spamming rockets.   

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Not played tr

Have a nc alt on one of the American servers

The nc sniper rifle is way way better than the vs one.

Yep, the boltdriver is awesome.

However, the cycler is one of the best weapons in the game as it was in Planetside and easy to kill with in short/mid range combat and the magrider is arguably the best tank for the type of combat PS2 usually generates.

The big problem is people only seem to spot the most commonly used differences and this is one reason why NC are the underpopulated faction on most servers. Simply put, more players use the stronger VS/TR weapons than they do the NC ones.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Eu servers are very balanced. As vs on lithcorp sometimes we are like 30% other times 36%
  • CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

@Teala...

Damage:

Time To Kill:

Weapon Data :

If that information on Weapon Data is even remotely accurate, then we sure have a lot of aimbot using TR on my server cause they sure seem to 1 shot, 1 kill me with sniper rifle where as I need 2-3 shots. Yes, I know headshots are 1 shot, but I never and I mean NEVER take more than 1 hit from TR snipers.

Aimbots are only part of the problem.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66

I couldn't disagree with the OP more.  The guns are so balanced it's scary.  People just don't have a clue how to use them properly.... which leads to whiny forum posts.

Sure, there is a lot of spread on some weapons.  This is why we don't hold down the mouse button and hope to dear god that our enemy dies.  This is called spray and pray and is notoriously the wrong way to play.  Even in real life soldiers do not spray and pray.  As a matter of fact, for the most part they use a 3 shot burst.

I never hold down the hammer unless the enemy is right on me.

I haven't used a single gun I would deem overpowered or useless.

In this case... it's not the game, it's you.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Teala
    than why are their dozens of threads in the official forums, reddit, and other game websites all saying the same thing.
    You've never seen the PVP Herd Effect in action before?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Teala
    than why are their dozens of threads in the official forums, reddit, and other game websites all saying the same thing.
    You've never seen the PVP Herd Effect in action before?

Or those threads are all hyperbole and constantly bumped because of outrageous/false claims are easy to disprove.

hmmm...

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

WOw.. more tears then a shower.. listen, it takes time to learn your weapons.. this isnt  COD. If you cant  GET the recoil under control your bullets will fly everywhere. If your strafing your not going to aim better then a guy crouching. NC weapons blow tr weapons out of the water in terms of dmg. you fire slower.. control is better. The problem is it takes skill to use..

Tapping instead of  the panic hold and strafe will improve your gameplay three fold.

I snipe.. ive already sighted the range.. im just waiting for you to put yourself on my dinner plate so i can eat you and send you to  a whole different game forums to cry about it.. i call that an Epic win for me.. i got certs, and a cry awesome!!!

Careful war you'll end up getting accused of hacking or paying to win :D