Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally .. no more sub games for me

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I've spent money on F2P games, and I have no problem doing it. Why? Becuase when I find a game I like, I feel compelled to support those who have gained my interest.

But, I get to show that support on my terms, not theirs. I pay what I want, when I want. If they try to prevent my progress for not paying, guess what? I don't pay. I go away.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I've spent money on F2P games, and I have no problem doing it. Why? Becuase when I find a game I like, I feel compelled to support those who have gained my interest.

But, I get to show that support on my terms, not theirs. I pay what I want, when I want. If they try to prevent my progress for not paying, guess what? I don't pay. I go away.

Exactly and well said.

You can do the same exact thing with a P2P game except you actually get everything in the game. When you arent having fun anymore you cancel sub.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Exactly and well said.

You can do the same exact thing with a P2P game except you actually get everything in the game. When you arent having fun anymore you cancel sub.

Just 2 things wrong with your statement.

1.  I've allready paid for a month, true it isn't a lot by any means, but when comparing to other games of the same quality I have paid for a month, which is a waste if i didn't use it.

2.  There are no more p2p games that don't have some kind of cash shop.  So a p2p only doesn't exist. 

edit - and what torvaldr said below

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    For your sake I hope you never manage to find a F2P that you actually want to stick with.   Thats when you will wish it had a sub......

Why? So you can pay 15$ a month to get less content then some  free to play games offer these days? (With the exception of Rift of coarse, that game is the only one that currently warrants a sub) 

I would rather pay 15$ a month on stuff I actually want then pay 15$ a month and get nothing out of it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

My WOW annual pass is finally up. So i cancelled prompty. This will be my last sub game (MMO or otherwise).

Not that i don't play F2P games before, but now .. it is all F2P for all the MMOs i will play.

Looks like TSW may go F2P in the future too .. anyone want to venture a guess of when that will happen?

It's allready gone f2p.  Just received an email from them.

NICE! Thanks for the heads up .. will try tonight after work.

Originally posted by snapfusion
    For your sake I hope you never manage to find a F2P that you actually want to stick with.   Thats when you will wish it had a sub......

Why would i wish it had a sub? If it is fun enough to stick around, i would for free. And god forshake, i may change my mind and give them some money.

The beauty of F2P is that a) its free, and b) if you want, you can decide to give them a little money .. completely optional.

And if it is not fun enough this way, i won't want to stick around.

So again, why would i wish it had a sub?

And this is all hypothetical anyway .... the key is the actual game.

Now the three games i am playing/plan to play ...

1) PS2 .. F2P .. so far i am enjoying it without paying a cent. Sue me!

2) TSW .. just learn it went F2P .. good news .. will try once i get off work and get home.

3) Marvel Heroes .. already announced to be F2P.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Good for you!!!  I am also a free to play only gamer!  

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

The beauty of F2P is that a) its free

If F2P is free how come I need to pay money in Vindictus if I want outfits, high-end weaponry, pets, trinkets, healing potions?

If F2P is free how come I need to pay money in Everquest to access half of the abilities, mercenaries, spells, all raid gear?

The only real "free" F2P game I played was street gears, which isn't even around anymore.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Good luck on spending more on F2P to enjoy the game.

Honestly, that's such a ridiculous thing to say.  In all of the F2P games I've ever played, I have never spent a penny on anything, I have never bought anything from a cash shop, and I never will.  I spend far less on F2P than I ever did on P2P.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

If F2P is free how come I need to pay money in Vindictus if I want outfits, high-end weaponry, pets, trinkets, healing potions?

If F2P is free how come I need to pay money in Everquest to access half of the abilities, mercenaries, spells, all raid gear?

The only real "free" F2P game I played was street gears, which isn't even around anymore.

Can you play those games without those items?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

If F2P is free how come I need to pay money in Everquest to access half of the abilities, mercenaries, spells, raid gear?

The answer is simple.

You don't "need" outfits, high-end weaponry, pets .... in vindictus. You may "want" them .. but certainly there is no need.

You don't "need" half of the abiilities, mercenaries ... in EQ. You can still play teh game, can you?

No one says everything is free .. merely you can play the game for free. If you have desires .. well ... that is your issue.

Now that is theoretical. Personally i find that you can easily just hop to the next game before you need to pay .. or just gimp yourself a bit. Lots of games don't require you to pay to have fun.

If having half of the abilities is fun ... do i really need to get the other half?

Originally posted by Cephus404

Honestly, that's such a ridiculous thing to say.  In all of the F2P games I've ever played, I have never spent a penny on anything, I have never bought anything from a cash shop, and I never will.  I spend far less on F2P than I ever did on P2P.

Yeah .. it is ridiculous. It is actually quite well known that a majority of F2P players don't pay.

In fact, if they don't believe that you can enjoy a F2P game without paying, it is their loss. it is not like i care if they play the game i play.

I only care i can have fun, and have the bonus that it is free.

See, you're mistaking things that you "HAVE" to pay for with things you "WANT" to pay for.  Nobody is making you pay for any of those things, lots of people just play without.  You are making the decision to pay extra for those things.

F2P doesn't seem to be for people who want to swing their e-peen or who lack self-control.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

Good for you, you must never play any MMO longer than a few months.

I can tell you that I played 3 F2P games for a long period of time.

Games being:

Everquest 1, unless you pay can not access:

-most races

-most classes

-raid gear,

-good mercenaries

-RK 2, or 3 spells

-most Alternative abilities

-more than 6 backpacks

-anything over a certain amount of money

-most augmentations

Vindictus, unless you pay you can not access:

-high end enhanced gear unless you farm for a very long time

-powerful healing potions

-resurection tokens

-all cosmetic items

-badges with significant stat bonuses

-backpack space

The only exception, where paying was not needed to enjoy the full game, has been Street Gears, which doesn't exist anymore.

So tell me again, how it feels, not spending a penny and being a second-rank citizen. In all except one F2P game, unless I spent money, I could not access a big part of the content, both because the content was behind paywalls, and because the power needed to access the content was restricted behind paywalls.

"Free" in the word "free to play" is such a scam.

Games being:

-most races

-most classes

-raid gear,

-good mercenaries

-RK 2, or 3 spells

-more than 6 backpacks

-resurection tokens

-all cosmetic items

The only exception, where paying was not needed to enjoy the full game, has been Street Gears, which doesn't exist anymore.

So tell me again, how it feels, not spending a penny and being a second-rank citizen. In all except one F2P game, unless I spent money, I could not access a big part of the content, both because the content was behind paywalls, and because the power needed to access the content was restricted behind paywalls.

Honestly, I haven't played a single MMO in about a year because none of them are any fun, but if I were to play something, it would be because it was fun, not because I'm a competition-crazed player.  I don't compete with anyone.  I don't care what anyone else has.  I play a game because it's enjoyable and I continue to play the game for as long as it remains enjoyable.  Unfortunately, I see a lot of people who aren't playing games to have a good time, they're doing it because they're madly competitiive and want to spend their time waving their pathetic little e-peen around in the air.

That's absurd.  People who play that way are ridiculous.

Free to play isn't a scam, the majority of people who play these games never pay a penny and they have fun doing it.  Will they ever be the best there is?  No, but they don't care!  If you do, then maybe you need to have a serious look at what you're doing and why.  I don't think the problem is with us.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

Games being:

-most races

-most classes

-raid gear,

-good mercenaries

-RK 2, or 3 spells

-more than 6 backpacks

-anything over a certain amount of money

-most augmentations

-resurection tokens

-all cosmetic items

-backpack space

You've chosen 2 very crappy f2p games to compare lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Honestly, I haven't played a single MMO in about a year because none of them are any fun, but if I were to play something, it would be because it was fun, not because I'm a competition-crazed player.

It has nothing to do with competition, the things in my list relate purely to content.

If you as a player in Everquest, do not spend money to unlock your abilities, you are extremely limited in the amount of content you can do, half of the game is not accessible for anyone who doesn't unlock their AA, you will simply die non-stop.

If you as a player in Vindictus, do not spend money, you will have a very hard time finding boats with people willing to group with you unless you are part of a guild that is willing to gimp you through for some reason, alternatively you can spend years wasting your time farming items.

It is not even about compeition, the fact classes, gear, and power is locked behind a paywall, restricts the content that is accessible to you as a non-paying F2P player.

Honestly, I haven't played a single MMO in about a year because none of them are any fun, but if I were to play something, it would be because it was fun, not because I'm a competition-crazed player.

It has nothing to do with competition, the things in my list relate purely to content.

If you as a player in Everquest, do not spend money to unlock your abilities, you are extremely limited in the amount of content you can do.

If you as a player in Vindictus, do not spend money, you will have a very hard time finding boats with people willing to group with you unless you are part of a guild that is willing to gimp you through for some reason.

It is not even about compeition, the fact classes, gear, and power is locked behind a paywall, restricts the content that is accessible to you as a non-paying F2P player.

Again these 2 game shave shitty cash shops, not all f2p games are like this. Some f2p are p2w and smart peeps just move on to another.

SWtor is another game that doesn't have a damn clue how to do f2p properly. Also most f2p game will have a few options to unlock like bank/backpack space that will maybe cost you a few months subs worth of moeny and then your good to go and never spend another cent.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

TSW will not be going F2P, Funcom doesnt know how to do it, they are going to go and stay freemium no matter how poorly they do with it, just like with AO and AoC, they will look at a slight increase in revenue from what they already have as a win, and if it doesnt work, stay with it. They are not capable of learning, that is something they have shown for 10 years.

Anyway, congrats on kicking the sub habit!

• fallsadoomfallsadoom Member Posts: 14

Don't worry. I will join the majority of MMO players in the US, and pay nothing. I will let teh whales to subsidize my gaming. It is not like i haven't play F2P before, jsut that i have to wait till my annual pass is over before killing the last sub.

That's fine, I'll rephrase my wording then.

"Good luck on being treated as a second-class citizen in every game."

The only reason developers keep you non-paying players in F2P games is to entertain the paying demographic.

We are not 2nd class citizens we are just  cheep citizens, but really being tied up in a Subed mmo and running a FTP one you may want to watch what you are doing there was  a time  i was spending more on the FTP for items needed to enjoy the game that i ever did paying a Sub

Originally posted by Asm0deus

Again these 2 game shave shitty cash shops, not all f2p games are like this. Some f2p are p2w and smart peeps just move on to another.

Right, now it's the games I chose that is at fault, not the payment model itself which enabled it?

These aren't the only F2P like this, in fact it's becoming more and more the norm. Access to content is locked behind a power curve, a power curve that is either not accessible without spending money, or is made so daunting to the player that they eventually give in and spend money on the cash shop.

Where are your F2P games with only cosmetic items? I don't see many around anymore.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Don't worry. I will join the majority of MMO players in the US, and pay nothing. I will let teh whales to subsidize my gaming. It is not like i haven't play F2P before, jsut that i have to wait till my annual pass is over before killing the last sub.

That's fine, I'll rephrase my wording then.

"Good luck on being treated as a second-cass citizen in every game then."

The only reason developers keep you non-paying players is to entertain the paying demographic.

Of course. It is only fair that the pay customers goet some advantage, don't you think?

Paying customers should have ALL the advantages and then some.  Freeloading should only get you so far and in my book, that isn't far at all.

Right, now it's the games I chose that is at fault, not the payment model itself which enabled it?

These aren't the only F2P like this, in fact it's becoming more and more the norm. Access to content is locked behind a power curve, a power curve that is either not accessible without spending money, or is made so daunting to the player that they eventually give in and spend money on the cash shop.

Where are your F2P games with only cosmetic items? I don't see many around anymore.

Some companies will milk it for all it is worth where as other won't, just like anything else. I never said these two games are the only ones that didn't know how to do f2p but you know what you just need stop praying at the sub game alter, go try some other games and see for your self.

Many of the decent games offer a way to acquire cash shop money in game if you can't spend 10 buck now and then on their  version of cash shop money.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

well yes actually.  If there are multple versions a particular model the only wy the model is bad is if all the versions are bad.  If there is a version of the model that is good, then the model itself isn't bad, just it's implementation. 

An you don't need most/any of those things in EQ to play, they make it nice, but it's not needed.

FE is one example.  There is nothing in the cash shop I can't make/get on my own that is better, actually there is nothing there I even want.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    TSW isn't going f2p.  It will be b2p with a cash shop, just like GW2.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.