Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs a dying breed

a little history i have been playing video games since janes combat simulations on windows 95...so i have a little experience with pc games...consoles not so much....but as of late...the games that these companies have been coming out with have been IN HINDSIGHT all about money...i dont know if i should feel someway about what im about to say...but WOW was the game i played the longest....and nothing as long since....WHY IS THAT....it seems in the past few years OR MORE games have been getting launced called MMORPGS MISSING FUNDAMENTAL FEATURES. what ever happened to paying 60 dollars for a game and not having to shell out money every month just to keep up with cash shops...i personally hate it...but thats probably because im 28....they companies have forgot about us....this new generation is so brainwashed its not even funny but thats another subject lol...

these game companies need to take notice of a game called neocron....one of the best games i have ever played IN MY LIFE....i was in beta for this game and played for years i think it might of been out before or after wow not sure...but this game was so epic and underrated its not even funny and im sad to see the company reakktor die off. 

ok now that im done showing love to my favorite game....WTF IS GOING ON IN THE GAMING WORLD....there is absolutely no integrity...wanna play competetive on a console? you better get a modded controller...why? cuz everyoone else does...its pathetic really to see new games get killed by aimbotters and glitchers over and over and over....

sigh i dont even know if this rant has an ending...but im at a loss for word....i play mmos because i hate the real world...but the mmo world is catching up quick. /smh

currently waiting for world alpha beta....funny huh lol

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by MasterKush818

sigh i dont even know if this rant has an ending...but im at a loss for word....i play mmos because i hate the real world...but the mmo world is catching up quick. /smh

Is alcohol a viable alternative hobby?

If not, may be time for the lttle red sports car and the 22-year-old coed.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

a little history i have been playing video games since janes combat simulations on windows 95...so i have a little experience with pc games...

Stopped reading after this... Please man, stop with your short experience of gaming - LITTLE EXPERIENCE indeed. There are players out here that have been playing games on the internet before the WWW came along (me included), and even been playing online games before the iternet became publicly accesseble (me including again). If you have played old multi-player games on BBSs back in the late 80s, then you can indeed say that you HAVE LOTS OF EXPERIENCE in gaming. In you remember the hype around Commander Keen, remember the first 3D accelerated games, then you can say that you have SOME EXPERIENCE. But starting since Windows 95..? Nah, that's not really any expeirnce in gaming at all. By that time the standard has been set for gaming and ever since little to nothing has changed other than better graphics and sounds, all due to stronger CPU/GPUs.

Anyway, want something new..? Try to find Knight Orc, and play that. It's one of the best RPGs ever made...

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Reizla

Ehm.. Starting early does not imply you have lots of experience.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Anyway, want something new..? Try to find Knight Orc, and play that. It's one of the best RPGs ever made...

Nope. Ultima 6 is much better. Older != better. In fact, i play Ultima 3 (that is before Knight Orc, i believe) .. that is my first serious RPG (although i did get back for U1 & U2 later), and the fact that it is old, does not make it a better game than games after it .. like U6.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Ehm.. Starting early does not imply you have lots of experience.

Come on now, by his statements and his profile, he was 11 years old when Win95 was current. 

Playing Mechwarrior 2 and takin' names!  (That game rocked!)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

..the games that these companies have been coming out with have been IN HINDSIGHT all about money..

Stopped here.

I started a business once. I didn't do it to make money; hence, I didn't make any money. I had to close the business because I couldn't pay the bills. *

*the preceding story may, or may not have happened.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Agree with the OP. Reizla, I disagree and think 17 years is quite a lot of experience. Sure you have more, and so do I. That does not diminish the OP's credibility.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• KnotanKnotan Member Posts: 9

I have an teory about this.

Every person thinks everything that happend to them in their teens is better than current time.Its because your personality is formed at this time, you are connecting the wiring in your brain that tells you whats fun and whats not. Everything after this period isnt as good or fun as when you programmed your brain the first time around.

Ive seen this in lots of things in life, not just games. Another subject that everyone can relate to is music, how many here think the music 13-15 year olds listen to is better than the music of your own youth? None?

Thats my two öre (cent)

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Stopped reading after this... Please man, stop with your short experience of gaming - LITTLE EXPERIENCE indeed. There are players out here that have been playing games on the internet before the WWW came along (me included), and even been playing online games before the iternet became publicly accesseble (me including again). If you have played old multi-player games on BBSs back in the late 80s, then you can indeed say that you HAVE LOTS OF EXPERIENCE in gaming. In you remember the hype around Commander Keen, remember the first 3D accelerated games, then you can say that you have SOME EXPERIENCE. But starting since Windows 95..? Nah, that's not really any expeirnce in gaming at all. By that time the standard has been set for gaming and ever since little to nothing has changed other than better graphics and sounds, all due to stronger CPU/GPUs.

Good post. I remember Commander Keen. I also remember playing M.U.L.E, Telengard, and Reach for the Stars for hours upon hours.

The original Wizardry on an Apple? Magic. Adventure on the Atari 2600? Amazing. Typing "Load *.* ,8,1" on my C-64? Good times. Hanging out on BBSes with my 1200baud modem? Scary!

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Are you trying to argue that MMOs are a dying breed, or sentences?  If you used sentences properly, it would be much easier to tell.  If you want anyone to actually read what you wrote, it would help to go back and fix your original post.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    They are dying because all these devs just copy world of warcraft mostly, insted of doing their own thing. I hope these devs stop this after seeing how all the wow clones keep crashing and burning in not even 6 months, they just lack anything intersting. When I go into a mmo if I get a bad "I've played this before" feeling like I have in most mmo's after wow, I just lose interest fast, because I've done all of that kinda stuff before and I want something that at least makes some sort of attempt to be diffrent. The other issue is mmo's cost so much to make that devs are unwilling to take the risk of making something that isin't a clone of wow. Sadly this is also why their games crash and burn in less than 6 months, new player comes in, plays the game a bit, figures out its just a poor version of wow, then cancels because he's been there done that. I played the secret world for 1 day before I cancelled, because the game honestly had nothing interesting, if after 8+ hours of gameplay the game still doesn't have anything that interests me, I am gone.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Boardwalker

Good post. I remember Commander Keen. I also remember playing M.U.L.E, Telengard, and Reach for the Stars for hours upon hours.

The original Wizardry on an Apple? Magic. Adventure on the Atari 2600? Amazing. Typing "Load *.* ,8,1" on my C-64? Good times. Hanging out on BBSes with my 1200baud modem? Scary!

1200 BPS would have been a dream.  I hung out on a BBS called "Tolenkar's Lair" at a measly 300 Baud.  Trade Wars was a blast though!

Anywhoo, I don't think MMO's are dying.  They are evolving and merging with other types of games.  The result is that very soon the KIND of MMO many of us cut our teeth on will be history.  This is what happens when we get old ... all the new stuff is crap and the old stuff is the best.  Time to dust off my Boston record. /wave

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by Boardwalker

1200 BPS would have been a dream.  I hung out on a BBS called "Tolenkar's Lair" at a measly 300 Baud.  Trade Wars was a blast though!

Anywhoo, I don't think MMO's are dying.  They are evolving and merging with other types of games.  The result is that very soon the KIND of MMO many of us cut our teeth on will be history.  This is what happens when we get old ... all the new stuff is crap and the old stuff is the best.  Time to dust off my Boston record. /wave

Started with a 1200/75 modem myself, upgraded to 2400 in half a year and that thing costed $200 at the time *LOL* Was quite addicted to TradeWars at the time myself. Think I played that one more than I played Lineage II :D ...also remember my phonebills from that time *YIPES*

@Boardwalker - Damn, how could I forget about MULE and the many star-trading simulations of that time. Also remember loading ~20 minutes with my tape drive on the old Atari 800XL. But hey, those Level9 adventures rewe worth the time waiting :p

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    MMO's are going through an 'attack of the clones' phase. All you need to do is look at digital movie budgets to see where the problem is. MMO's are crazy expensive to make and marketing them to the masses seems to be a problem.
  • TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67

Can´t help but to compare MMO´s with (popular) music. Remember when Linkin Park got famous with their 'unique' nu metal sound and masses of other band tried to copy it, wanting a piece of the cake? Well, no one really cared for the copy-cats (WoW-clones in this metaphor, obviously), UNLESS they brought something unique to the table, hence making it THEIR unique sound (Limp Bizkit comes to mind).

Well, the main problem with MMO´s is that they all need a certain basic concept to work, which really cuts the freedom in comparison to music where you basically are only bound to the capabilities of your imaginations and the laws of physics (e.g. instruments). MMO´s need certain features to even count as MMO (there are games which already try to bend the 'rules' there, but the majority of games plays along) like interface, an avatar, skills, dungeons etc. To revitalize the genre, we need more than 'WoW with more diverse features', we need a new basic concept that changes the MMO world like WoW did. Certaintly some would start to rant at the next big thing when it´s finally there, but hey; not everyone can get away pleased from this issue!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Yes, companies are about making money. What they provide in return is where each person gets a choice to give them said money. Unless there is some boycott on the internet MMOs will not die off. They may change to something the original "first generation" players may not like but they won't die.

I agree that the essence of what MMO should be has gotten steered in a bad direction. Recent sales and revenue of MMORPGs have shown this IMO and that's a good thing for the future. 2013 (if we survive this month :p) should be a very good year for those of us who think MMOs have gone astray.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Yes, companies are about making money. What they provide in return is where each person gets a choice to give them said money. Unless there is some boycott on the internet MMOs will not die off. They may change to something the original "first generation" players may not like but they won't die.

Why would i boycott a MMO when i think it is fun? Why would i play it if it is not?

People are already "boycotting" games that are not fun to them.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I said boycott the internet meaning as long as people use the internet there will be people playing MMOs.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well in my planetside outfit, we have a bunch of people coming from games like battlefield and counter strike which would never touch a "nerd mmo".

I think games like defiance might grow the market too.
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

MMO's are not dead or dying its in a phase atm Of gimmie gimmie now now now win win win. Until that shit stops or devs stop listening to the whinning kids and adults it will never change

as for playing games since win 95. Well I'm with the few others from the BBC days and so on. Wolf 3d was my 1st game and havent looked back in almost 23+ years.

And for the LOVE OF !@#!%!@#@ stop the "It's a wow clone" that shit is so old already. Bottom line at the current time there is only so much that can be done with UI exp/questing. Lets not foreget the fact wow pretty much copied most of the mmo's of its current market at release so if anything wow is the clone.

a little history http://beta.xfire.com/profile/himmler57 I stopped using xfire two years ago to keep track you do the math on the 12k+ hours