Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online = Like driving a clunky tractor with a keyboard

time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

After playing GW2, Warhammer, Daoc, etc for years, Wizardry Online is like trying to drive a cumbersome tractor with a keyboard while having a migraine and needing to close your eyes to take your mind off the text, font, and UI.  I can't emphasize this enough about your viewing experience (though not graphics related)

I dont mind the hardcore rules, the PK'ing, graphics etc.  This is just specifically about the UI, targetting, and over all cumbersome Asian MMO controls, and deadly on the eyes Font and Text.    This game's UI and controls are not geared toward Westerners and has the same clunkyness of Eden online.  I've played tons of MMO's, both western and asian, so this is just my sum up.  Yes you can change the key layout but this game is like if you took Rift, and then took everything away that made the controls of Rift as smooth as they are.

The font will give you a headache after 1 hour.  This is a stereo typical asian mmo UI.  It is not geared toward Western gamers. 

Yes, I am more comfortable with Western MMO's in terms of UI, because they are geared toward Westerners.  And yes, I'm sure someone located in Asia is comfortable with this game's targetting, movement, controls, and clunkyness of this UI as this is what is the norm in Asian mmo's.

I realize this is a F2P game and is still in beta.  I just cant understand how this game just can't copy the Font (not the size, the font type), and the general UI from Western games like Guild Wars, WoW, etc.  These guys need to know their market.  This is the 5000th Asian MMO I've tried that has this issue.

(FYI, I've played many of the MMO's out there (both Western and Asian) so it isnt a matter of the UI being too advanced/uber for me.  For starters I'm not a fan of WoW, but this game made me happy WoW exists as it provides a clear contrast of a UI catered to my market vs. a UI created in Asia.)

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Yup, slower than a sloth on tranqulizers.  :(  I'd like to play the game but the sloooooooooow pace makes me want to scream.
  • CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    you are over 9000% right symilar issues with RaiderZ where you even get korean swear words filtered out on eu ver. of game... can't write know without ***w and badly translated often inaccuare skill or quest descritions...  these little things make you feel like developers don't realy care they just want another product pushed.

Yes, the chat filter is weird.  I typed in the work "speak" during a short conversation and in the chat box it read as "s***k" for some reason.  Why the letters p, e and a were filtered is a puzzle.

I had to give up playing the game after less than 30 minutes as the glacial speed of the NPC dialogues just killed the game for me - I felt like putting my keyboard through the monitor because it's like wading through molasses.  I might try again tomorrow... maybe.

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    I say don't bother with neverwinter and firefall around the release corner It's not worth the time to struggle with 2002 mmo mechanics in 2012. I'd rather play something fresh than this rotting meat... altho I enjoy hating this game because before knowing what it realy is I was very exited about it ;(
    I've got my fingers crossed for Firefall and Neverwinter too.  This dead horse of a game design just shouldn't have been flogged one more time.  It just isn't going to get up and walk no matter how they try.
  • george99george99 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Going to add another agreement that this game feels old and clunky and there are better games coming on the horizon.
  • FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Yeh agreed I already played Kings Field 2, it feels oldschool that is not so bad if were talking NWN , Baldurs gate or Asherons Call, however this feels like one of those ps1 or ps2 asian console rpgs. That itself would not be so bad if not for the forced dungeon crawl tutorial, you are just not able to play the game.
    Originally posted by george99
    Going to add another agreement that this game feels old and clunky and there are better games coming on the horizon.

How it has any players in Japan is a mystery.  It's boredom on a stick.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

All of the above posts are spot on, loved some of the comments you guys made, so funny!

The scrolling text at the speed of a tortoise was chronic and the UI is just abysmal. The game is unplayable.

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142

I tried it for a bit. My major problem with it right now is the controls, it has console written all over it. It's kind of similar to zelda on n64. Your character only hit, block and step to where your character is pointing and not the camera, so you have to aim with the keyboard. The target locking feature just sucks. I don't need it with a keyboard and mouse. I just need my character to hit where I aim. TERA/RaiderZ done it much better. Just another case of noob developpers testing mainly with console controllers.

It really just look like another low quality free mmo.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by george99

more people using the word clunky, and half of them have no idea what it means, love it..

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by patlefort

I tried it for a bit. My major problem with it right now is the controls, it has console written all over it. It's kind of similar to zelda on n64. Your character only hit, block and step to where your character is pointing and not the camera, so you have to aim with the keyboard. The target locking feature just sucks. I don't need it with a keyboard and mouse. I just need my character to hit where I aim. TERA/RaiderZ done it much better. Just another case of noob developpers testing mainly with console controllers.

For your info, all games are tested first on PC, I agree with the controls are off, but do some research on Game Design a little before you make your self look silly..

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    Originally posted by patlefort

For your info, all games are tested first on PC, I agree with the controls are off, but do some research on Game Design a little before you make your self look silly..

Well that's simply not true and I just said they must have tested mainly with a console controller, obviously on a PC since it's a Windows only game.

• DremeDreme Member Posts: 6

From what I have read, most of the people posting about it spent more time typing out their reveiw then they spent playing the actual game. If it wasn't your cup of tea it wasn't your cup of tea, but as for me I jumped right into the game with no problems. One of the races is experiencing lag as a result of it's model likely but that is being worked out. The targeting system is useless for PvP, but that is fine. Once you get the hang of it you learn to PvP without using simple target lock. The UI couldn't be any simpler aside from those two slight problems. I didn't have a problem with the text. I would prefer it in western style but that is an issue that we have brought up with the devs to try and get it fixed. Me, i just want it in western style so I can do my evil vampire face.  -,..,- So I played the game for three weeks  and made two souls, one soul rank 7 and the other soul rank 4, made 7 or 8 characters 2 level 17s getting to the last dungeon the final week of open beta.

For you who played in closed beta, you will be happy to know you can now hit esc and skip the cut scenes.. yes the dialoge is crap.. hope they fix that in the extra 2 weeks they took before the release.