Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Players' Choice Awards

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Myself I want a Borderlands MMO with fully customizeable characters since I want a female Gunzerker with super long blond hair. Think Sailor Moon length of hair... hahaha that would be so awesome. :)

Wouldnt be surprised to see on in the near future..maybe BL3ish...it essentially is a themepark as is..quest hubs and all.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

People - Archage isn't even in Beta test mode yet - so not a real game YET.

Eve Online and Rift are older games. It should be about current released games.

Just my opinion here.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    So why are wow and swtor on there
  • poppy40poppy40 Member Posts: 1
    Pirate 101 does not deserve to be mentioned at all. It was not released until Octobe 15th then had some may glitches it was unplayable
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Pretty hard to vote for most innovative as NOT one of these games is innorvative, just more of the same.

Pretty easy to guess why Xyson and Pathfinder are not on there, neither comes close to being a game ready to play, they are both partial games that someday might be decent.

Pirate 101 is a good game, why shouldn't it be on there, I know several kids enjoying it.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I didn't start playing any MMO this year since they either didn't interest me enough or were P2W by my definition of P2W. The best games of 2012 for me are still in beta, Path of Exile and Dota 2.

I had high hopes for many of the MMO's released this year but as they got closer to release I lost interest in every one. If the current trend in MMO development continues then no mainstream MMO will ever appeal to me again.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I was blocked from voting due to my support of world of warcraft :-(
  • shinenshinen Member CommonPosts: 1

Just wanted to speak a bit here because I am tired of hearing people say things like GW2 did not innovate (same with TSW even if I don't play it).

To innovate is NOT the same as to to invent. Most players seem to be very confuse about which is which. If I bring forth something totally new which no one has done before then I am inventing, but if I use an idea or invention already existing in order to bring a new light to something or a new way of doing things then I am innovating.

An example would be with cooking. One can invent a receipe with many spices put in a precise order along with mustard seeds and vinegar (curry) and someone else could from that first dish add some tomato and chili, and innovate on how to make a vindaloo.

So while TSW and GW2 did not invent that much they did however innovate a lot by giving us those previously known standards of mmorpgs with their twist on it.

As such they can compete for most innovative game. 

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Thorgrimm

THE SECRET WORLD just changed billing model. It is B2P.  Monthly fees and GM Pack are still an option, but, ONCE YOU BUY THE GAME, you get to play it FREE for LIFE...

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=1474106#post1474106

Let's see how the votes in this contest change, once everyone gets to play it.  SHOP Around.. The price on the DVD edition varies by store.  Online Digital Downloads also vary by your source.  See you all in-game...

Glad to hear TSW went B2P.  I wanted to try it out but didn't because of the sub.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

While it is debatable that GW2 was the BEST mmorpg of the year, it was clearly THE GAME of the year in this mmo market. I mean, with all the drums and all the hype and all the talks (both negative and positive), I can't see how anyone can argue against that. :P

Kudos to Funcom for making TSW buy-to-play (don't get why MMORPG.com hasn't placed several big, CLEAR banners saying "Go try TSW, near-free now~!!"), and a big "w00t" for Pirates 101. Wizards 101 was awesome fun (and my little brother still plays it), so perhaps it's worth a spin indeed.

• 78Ad789101178Ad7891011 Member Posts: 1

i  want wizard101 to win!

GO WIZARD101! WOOOOOOOO!

• ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Originally posted by gojusuzi
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by Kenze

..and maybe you guys should stop trying to convince everyone that TSW reinvented the wheel and cured cancer. cast your vote but stop preaching

No one is preaching here although I see quite many known GW2 fanbois spitting poison ... yet again sadly. Sorry but I just cannot understand why that prticular MMO makes people so angry towards different opinions and likes.

by the third post a TSW fan was "groaning" at GW2 being ahead, and generally showing disappointment that the players get to choose. By post 14 there was a brand new account slamming GW2 and praising TSW

If you're going to go on about how terrible a fanbase is, take a look at your own first.  By far, the worst community I've ever seen for having people that attack other games constantly.

TSW fans are going to be inclined to be biased against GW2 fans, just because of how many GW2 folk made TSW trial accounts to troll and abuse players, how many bot accounts came to spam us about GW2, and the horrific GW2-fan presence on the TSW fora.  Not every fan of GW2 is like this, but enough effort was put in by fans and the company to harass and abuse TSW fans in the early days that we find it understandably hard to have any respect for the game, its producers, or its fans.  It's seeing our bully win a contest, and regardless of whether or not he deserves it, it still stings to see.

GW2 fans are going to be inclined to be biased against TSW fans, just because of how many TSW folk made GW2 trial accounts to troll and abuse players, how many bot accounts came to spam us about TSW, and the horrific TSW-fan presence on the GW2 fora. Not only did GW2 have to deal with rabid TSW fanbois but also rabid wow and all its clone fanbois as well. Not every fan of other mmo's are like this, but enough effort was put in by fans and the companys to harass and abuse GW2 fans in the early days that we find it understandably hard to have any respect for the games, its producers, or its fans. It's seeing our bully win a contest, and regardless of whether or not he deserves it, it still stings to see.

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• XeoMatrix00XeoMatrix00 Member Posts: 39

Well with this poll we can have a good idea what ppl like more, what happen to the WoW fans where are they ? 

So I voted Gw2 for GOTY and TSW for innovation specially after the fact they move to F2P :) so now for me is worth to play even if still have to buy the box. Hopefully now they can get more player base too.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Another year another poll and the same old comments.

Poll doesn't agree with my opinion = rigged/conspiracy.

Poll agrees with me = valid.

• pieholepiehole Member UncommonPosts: 47

Castillle writes:

Im fairly surprised that Neverwinter is more anticipated than ArcheAge

Edit:

Theyre even now

I´m more surprised that GW2 beats TSW in innovation. Sure GW2 has some different aspects but I personally feel that TSW is more out of the box. Thats just me.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Almost all my votes lined up with the results, except Most Innovative.  I chose TSW over GW2 in that category.  
  • pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    This year, to prevent EVE winning their 4th straight GOTY, we've decided to leave it out of the polls.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

EVEVEVEEVEVEVEVVEVEVEVEVEVEEVEVEVEVVEVEVEVEVEVEEVEVEVEVVEVEVEVEVE

:P Just because there is no game as good at it you have to leave it out :P

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Why are THOSE the ONLY choices?
  • hyperion529hyperion529 Member Posts: 10

What is innovative about GW2?  Its a genertic fantasy MMO...no new features. It is a great game and probably SHOULD get GOTY...but certianly nothing innovative there.  

I think the problem is that the education system in the US never taught people what the word "innovative" means.

It shouldnt even be on the list, people just vote for it in that catageory because thats they game they play, not because they actually think its innovative.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by hyperion529

What is innovative about GW2?  Its a genertic fantasy MMO...no new features. It is a great game and probably SHOULD get GOTY...but certianly nothing innovative there.  

I think the problem is that the education system in the US never taught people what the word "innovative" means.

It shouldnt even be on the list, people just vote for it in that catageory because thats they game they play, not because they actually think its innovative.

What did any of the games in that list do that is innovative following what you think is innovative?

• hyperion529hyperion529 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Kuppa

What did any of the games in that list do that is innovative following what you think is innovative?

Well, that was poorly phrased., and doesn't answer my question. 

But to answer your question, TSW is highly innovative with its quest structure, storyline, battle system that is able to adapt so well (GW style dodging was added post release, as was TERA style reticle combat), modern/horror setting and concpets taken from real world mythologies.  

I would also include things like the classless system of progression, the amazing quality of the voice acting and storyline in general, and the unique crafting mechanics, but those were all simply improved upon and not innovative by themselves. 

In reality, its the whole package, tied seemlessly together that is what is innovative.

Simply put, TSW is by far the most innovative game on this list from my perspective and I think objectivly, albeit I haven't played pirates 101, so I don't have perspective there.

In order to critique what I said here, first answer my question about what is innovative about GW2. Thanks.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Well, that was poorly phrased., and doesn't answer my question. 

But to answer your question, TSW is highly innovative with its quest structure, storyline, battle system that is able to adapt so well (GW style dodging was added post release, as was TERA style reticle combat), modern/horror setting and concpets taken from real world mythologies.  

I would also include things like the classless system of progression, the amazing quality of the voice acting and storyline in general, and the unique crafting mechanics, but those were all simply improved upon and not innovative by themselves. 

In reality, its the whole package, tied seemlessly together that is what is innovative.

Simply put, TSW is by far the most innovative game on this list from my perspective and I think objectivly, albeit I haven't played pirates 101, so I don't have perspective there.

In order to critique what I said here, first answer my question about what is innovative about GW2. Thanks.

I won't critique it because in a lot of it I agree with it. TSW does have things that I find innovative. I don't believe innovation has to be something that has never been done before.

With that said, I do believe GW2 has a lot of innovation. Dynamics Events are something that defer from the norm of questing on MMOs and are used as the main system in pve for the game. Combat in the game has it's own style. Were movement, coordination and general skill awareness is integral. It's pvp(since gw1) has been pushing for normalized combat using the deck of cards approach over the D&D approach. The balance itself is rarely seen in other games. Revisiting the R&R made popular by DAOC with its own take. Stepping away from the trinity to a different system. The overflow server system. There are probably more, but you get my point.

Just like TSW and the other games on that list, GW2 brings innovation. No, that doesn't mean something never before seen. But sort of how you put it, the package of things that are next steps to already established ideas or maybe just made popular in these games in particular is what makes GW2 belong in that list.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by LlexX

Im quiet supprised that EveOnline is missing from the list.

Also GW2 is just getting too much attention, which it shouldn't deserve.

This year was again a year of themeparks... sadly, hope that changes for the next year.

Eve is not a new game - hence it should not be on the list.

Just becaue you don't like GW2 does not mean it shouldn't get this attention. In fact, I feel it is not getting enough attention now!

Agreed - EVE has won so many times that it's only right that it bows out this year to make room for fresh newcomers like World of Warcraft.

Lol, nice

Where's the any key?

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71

Innovation isn't just bringing something new to the table it also about building upon an idea that has already existed which both TSW and GW 2 do. Why can't people just accept that?