Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Chris Roberts Interview Coming - Give us your questions!

Comments

• Lightsider01Lightsider01 Member Posts: 2
    Question: If we run missions for the UEE, or for pirates, or destroy a known PC pirate for a bounty, could it shift the rating of a system (in a small degree) up or down? In other words, can the security ratings of systems be dynamic and player influenced?
  • SeggfaceSeggface Member Posts: 3

-With CE3 you have the opportunity to make a full scale universe like EVE’s Dust 514 project. Have you thought about it?

-Planet landing. Will it be cinematic, animation/script or “minigame”?

“minigame”: approach the planet in a given vector, fly through a virtual tunnel – with safety zone – during the whole entry. When you reach the upper atmo the entry effects will kick in, hide everything so the planet surface can be loaded. You could end up in the clouds, and fly down to the surface. The 3×3 km area surrounding the base could be made by hand, for all other stuff go with the repeated, procedural wasteland.

• GreenShrikeGreenShrike Member Posts: 3

I'd like to know a couple of things about the P52:

If you're flying solo and set your Constellation on autopilot and take your P52 out to battle enemy ships, what happens when the P52 is shot down with you in it? Do you drift in space until rescued, possibly by the Constellation (assuming the autopilot manages to dispatch the enemy ships)? Immediately respawn on the Constellation? Immediately respawn on the closest world?

Also, does the P52 have its own hull insurance, is it included in the Connie's hull insurance, or is it included in the Connie's equipment/mod/upgrade insurance?

The Retaliator, which according to the released specs has five turrets mounting eight guns, presumably has three turrets with twin gun mounts (the tail, dorsal and ventral turrets perhaps?) and two turrets with single gun mounts (perhaps the port and starboard waist turrets?).

The Caterpiller has two Class 4 hard points mounting two laser cannons and a tractor beam. Presumably the lasers are mounted in a twin configuration in a single turret while the tractor takes the other.

The Constellation, however, comes with a turret bearing only a single laser cannon.

Given this, are all turrets capable of taking twin gun mounts, or are some of them limited to single guns?

Class 3 hard points seem to be both a pylon weapon/equipment attachment point, as well as some internal volume for ammunition.

The diagram of the Constellation appears to have two hull mounted missile batteries, each with a 25-30 missile magazine. The forward wings appear to have 9 missiles each, while the aft wings appear to have 16 missiles, though as they're not labelled they may not be missiles.

It's been said that the Vanduul fighter has "seven missiles". I'm assuming this means it has a single Class 3 hardpoint mounting a missile launcher with seven rounds.

GIven this, is it true that different ship's Class 3 hard points will have varying magazine capacities? Smaller ships having less ammunition capacity than larger ships would make sense. A Freelancer or Caterpiller simply has more internal volume to store missiles than an Aurora or M50 has.

• TechdittoTechditto Member Posts: 2

He speaks constantly about the autopilot.  You take off, set your destination, activate the autopilot, and wait for a random encounter to occur while you travel to your destination.

My question is: Can I choose to not use an autopilot?

What if I want to take the long way around a system?  Try and avoid the traffic and avoid the cops.  Or just fly a system and explore?

• TechdittoTechditto Member Posts: 2
    [Q]  If I'm a pirate and I want to ambush a passing ship, do I set an instance, wait, then automaticly attack the next ship no matter what it is? (fellow pirate, military patrol, ect...)  Or can I observe them as they approach, and choose to follow them to a remote area before attacking?
  • Hotspur164Hotspur164 Member Posts: 1

To what degree will a military career be possible in the wider Star Citizen persistent universe?  I understand full blown military service may need to be limited to the Squadron 42 campaigns, but will there be any kind of system militias or other UEE organizations that will allow you to continue to have your character a military man even if only like a 'part time' reservist?

I am very interested in keeping a military style of play beyond Squadron 42, and I think systems militia is a way to do that in an immersive way without requiring a bengal carrier all the time to launch you at the vanduul.

• OddGoddOddGodd Member Posts: 2

Will there be an physical add-on option to add a ship model, in the various lengths available to high-level pledges? I would have so much nerd-joy in having a 6″ model of my 300i or Constellation, but can’t really go in for the $1100 to grab the High Admiral package.

A question on fuel usage: will in-system flight use fuel, or only jumping between systems, a la Privateer?

Will you be able to dock smaller fighters on the Constellation besides the P52? I’ve heard a few different versions of this one in different places. If not available as a stock option, please consider it as an upgrade!

How will turret aiming be handled on single man fighters? I’ve seen the view tracking in the demo videos, and heard it described as similar to the Apache (?) helicopter’s setup, but for those of us without TrackIR or an Oculus Rift, how will the targeting and tracking system work?

Should have put this one first: Can I give you a hug or something?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you're able to provide!

• OddGoddOddGodd Member Posts: 2

From Bobby Dylan over at the RSI thread dedicated to this very question roundup:

Ships are said to be modular and moddable. Does this include the internal layout?

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by scottns
    Will there be bigger fighters/ships with crews so someone can fly, some else on guns, someone else running repairs/sheilds, etc?

This TIMES 1000000. Seriously I want to know the awnsere to this question more then anything. 

Also In bigger ships can you design the interior like SWG on the Nova or the mining vessal? That would be super sweet if I could design the barracks on a flagship. 

• How will the ingame market system work? In Eve for example, there are a variety of skills that could expand your number or orders, range of orders, the ability to modify them, or the rates that they are taxed. Will the prices of items fluctuate based on the values of raw materials, which will create shortages and price spikes when conflict breaks out? Will NPCs and players be able to compete in the markets for the buying, selling, and transport of items to areas where demand is higher?
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    • Will there be a "space garage" where we can park and admire our spaceship collection?
    • Can we establish a homebase that we can operate from?
    • Will there be non-combative roles like mechanic, researcher, scientist and medics that can work on a space station or planet?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• levvylevvy Member Posts: 1

Hi Chris,

I know many people will be looking to buy a HOTAS controller for this game specifically, myself included. I was wondering if you would consider designing an "official" HOTAS for Star Citizen in collaboration with a peripheral manufacturer.

The main reason I would like to see this is because of a few things you have stated about gameplay already. If I was to manage power on my ship bewteen shields, weapons and engines, the easiest way I could think of would be some kind of slider, rather than having to find hotkeys on my keyboard or mapping it to an unmarked button on an existing HOTAS. you also mentions fly by wire can be de-activated, but how could you manage that many indiviual thrusters on a traditional HOTAS? 

Hawken and MWO have "official" controllers, I think Star Citizen deserves one too.

• VForssVForss Member Posts: 3
    Which FPS game will the FPS combat be most similar to?
  • R.A.NetR.A.Net Member Posts: 2

Hi Chris,

Which views will there be for ships and  boarding?

Will there be available third person view without HUD and with free camera to make screenshots? Will there be third person turret view like was in Freelancer to shoot enemies on your tail with turret on Hornet? Will cockpit view have any adantages? Will there be first person view without cockpit for people who will have their own cockpit with MFDs from Saitek?

Will there be both first person view and third person view during boarding or only one and which?

• R.A.NetR.A.Net Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Weretigar
    Will there be bigger fighters/ships with crews so someone can fly, some else on guns, someone else running repairs/sheilds, etc?

This TIMES 1000000. Seriously I want to know the awnsere to this question more then anything. 

Also In bigger ships can you design the interior like SWG on the Nova or the mining vessal? That would be super sweet if I could design the barracks on a flagship. 

Yes for example Constellation (one of the pledge ships) is for up to 4 people, one will fly Constellation, one its small fighter P52, two can man turrets. There will be many bigger ships for more people. If you are alone NPCs should help you

About multiplayer, instancing, read this:

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/chris-roberts-on-multiplayer-single-player-and-instancing/

+ there are some comments from Christopher Roberts

• VForssVForss Member Posts: 3
    [Q] Will there be any capital sized tractor beams able to pull a smaller ship into its hangar bay?
  • ChartarumChartarum Member Posts: 2

How will you handle people playing together with different friends, given that travel time across the galaxy will be several hours (according to the last interview) - To clarify a bit: I have friends that will probably play a lot MORE than me, and in so doing is likely to travel further and faster than me, and others that will play a lot LESS than me, and will be likely to hang around a few core systems a lot longer than me.

Will you allow multiple characters per account so that I can leave one character behind in the core systems piloting an Aurora so that I can play with those of my friends that are exploring more slowly than me while my "main" character heads out into the uncharted reaches of the galaxy in search of new jump-points and systems? Or do we need to use multi-crew ships to be able to play with friends that are "falling behind" in their travels?

• MuffloMufflo Member Posts: 30

Have you read The Reality Disfunction by Peter F. Hamilton?

I highly recommend this to whoever will be working on lore/story etc.

The sylvari ordered Rice n chicken in a bar. The waiter asked him: "exploded or intact?" He angrily answered: "Intact of course! Do you take me for a fool?"

Those were his last words.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Is it an mmorpg or not, Definitively.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by Weretigar

Multiplayer ships, yes; interioir design, not yet

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

double posted

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

--Answering questions the community knows the answers to already--

A: Yes

How many people per server are we looking at for the persistant universe? 40? 100? 200? 1000+?

A: There is only 1 persistant Universe server.

Instancing? A: Yes

Sharding? A: No

How many players per instance? A: 50-100, no specifics yet, awaiting results of testing.

How will players be chosen to share same instance. A: It is an extremely complex system as described. taking into account your PvP/PvE preferences, any persons of interest you have marked, your friends list, and random people.

Also wondering about pirating npc ships and whether it will be possible to hijack npc frieghters/fighters or only other players ships. And if they plan on keeping the requirement that only ships larger than 2-crew can be hijacked. How would you hijack a vaduul fighter then? without boarding?

A: Definitely possible to Hijack NPCs, that would be the only way to obtain many of the ships, i.e. Carriers, alien vessels. Vanduul fighters would be obtained by boarding and taking over a Vanduul carrier full of fighters.

Is boarding only available in space?  Will ship raiding also be available on planets or docking stations?

A: Capturable Smuggler Asteroid Bases have been assured

How big will the game world be? Can this be explained in terms of time, speed, distance also?

A: 100 systems at launch, it would take ~30 minutes to travel from one system to another if you encounters absolutely 0 resistance (which will never happen). So...Big

Question: what are the mechanics that determine a ship's maximum velocity?

A: Mass vs Thrust, they will be implementing a max speed to keep the "dogfighting" style of combat.

Planet landing. Will it be cinematic, animation/script or “minigame”

A: Cinematic

Will there be a "space garage" where we can park and admire our spaceship collection?

A: Yes

Can we establish a homebase that we can operate from?

A: So far as we know, yes

Will there be non-combative roles like mechanic, researcher, scientist and medics that can work on a space station or planet?

A: there will be many non-cambat roles, the rest I don't know

Is it an mmorpg or not, Definitively.

A: It is a hybrid, more like Battlefield than WoW

• AC_BlackAC_Black Member Posts: 1

Do we know what the specs are going to be for the PC.

We got an idea on when the testing is going to start..

Are the player roles going to be a single-player only or can we mix the players roles when we wish to.     EX.  Find a Carrier that we want to capture, I call a dew friends to see if they want in on taking it ...    if so can we all join an Instance in taking it.

Will there be boarding combat on the larger ships we attack, or will it be space only.