Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ugh SAY NO to INSTANCES!

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Really, what gives? I am so tired of instanced this and instanced that. Alas it seems to be the new trend, to use Dungeons solely for endgame prolonging, see GW2. I really loved those open, huge dungeons as in the days of EQ2 and Vanguard, where you just could roam into.

Why Dungeons all were made instanced endgame these days. Meesa not liken thisen.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Continuous repetitions of the same topics--just say no!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Lol, ok point taken. Still, we must drum for our cause until we are heard. ;)

It just seems to get worse, somehow, with each new MMO.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I say "yes" to instance. IN fact, i will play an instance only, no persistent world game tonight.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Maybe you can get Nancy Reagan to be your spokesperson.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Instancing has become a nessicity in mmo's due to a combination of organized gold farming ( mostly ) ,  and large guild organizations who can easily take advantage of open raiding situations, depriving the rest of us of enjoyment of them.  Its a type of gaming that has come to mainstream and offers its own benifits, alot of which you dont think about, for example, if you are in a instanced 5 man dungeon, you dont have to worry about other players entering your area and killing your mobs or bosses, kill stealing you for  loots, or otherwise making it all a bad playtime. So pro's and Con's i just wonder what will be next in mmo inovations we can all maybe enjoy.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Elikal

No - Instances are done for several factors. 1. ALL the BOSSES are killed by one group. 2. The group gets all the loot. 3. Easier to control boss spawns. 4. Easier to design and control. 5. Prevents people from complaining about people camping bosses.

You already made a thread on this topic. One thread is enough. Now you sound like a spoiled child. Go to bed without supper.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

Agreed. There is room for any and all types of games anyways.

Besides, the current trend shows the OP is going to get his way (which I happen to want too) soon enough.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by dave6660

Nancy Reagan? Nah, this is more like Tipper Gore's territory.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    I have some fond memories of pre instance times as well but in all honesty I don't feel it would work now just due to thenumber of people in mmos right now the odds are to great that you will run into jerks. Gold campers, boss stealers, botters and trainers you know the people who want to sterilize.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Where have you been, mmorpg.com is full of repeatative threads and post. 

Originally posted by karat76
    I have some fond memories of pre instance times as well but in all honesty I don't feel it would work now just due to thenumber of people in mmos right now the odds are to great that you will run into jerks. Gold campers, boss stealers, botters and trainers you know the people who want to sterilize.

I have some horrible memories of camping of pre-instance times.

But seriously i don't see much downside of instanced dungeons. You still can group with ANYONE before going into one. And i never feel that having some random people showing up when my group is fighting a boss .. add any fun to teh encounter. Often it reduces teh fun.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

LOL. 

Unfortunately, much of the readership won't have any firm memory of Tipper Gore.  Or Frank Zappa :/

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Quirhid

LOL .. you expect to make a difference ranting in a forum?

And ... you have a "cause" in video games? We are talking about entertainment products, right?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Agree with op - no instancing

Loved the way daoc had no instances

My current mmo is planetside 2 for the same reason

Instancing sucks.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

And ... you have a "cause" in video games? We are talking about entertainment products, right?

He has no life.....

Originally posted by botrytis

He has no life.....

Look at the person you are agreeing with lol. 

Also all this "oh people camp mobs and stuff"

Yes in everquest

But you can do open dungeons without all those problems - daoc did it 12 years ago.

Gw2 could have done it now with their scaling dynamic events and gold / silver / bronze medal system.

No instancing doesn't mean reintroducing all the problems EQ had with it.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

May be not. But since it is a pretty good solution, there is little reason not to use it.

Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by botrytis

He has no life.....

Look at the person you are agreeing with lol. 

My goodness, they're revealing themselves to the left and to the right today.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Yes in everquest

But you can do open dungeons without all those problems - daoc did it 12 years ago.

Gw2 could have done it now with their scaling dynamic events and gold / silver / bronze medal system.

I never really had the problems everyone talks about with the camping mobs and stuff...maybe once in a great while someone would blow through my camp and take stuff with, but it wasn't that often. The community was pretty respectful towards camps. Sure if you wanted to go to a specific camp at times it was near impossible, but there were plenty of other places for you to go instead. Many times if you asked the group that was there to let you know when they were leaving you could take over their already broken camp and continue just fine.

As  for instancing...the only way I'd be ok with it is on some raids. It wouldn't be the whole zone, but I'll use the AoW chain as an example in EQ. Say your raid shows up first and kills the Statue of Rallos Zek. Now, the unwritten server rules said that you now had access to Idol and AoW, but there really wasn't anything else in the way of someone just camped down below waiting for the Idol to spawn to nab AoW. Maybe have the Statue drop one time use keys to the next part of the event chain that would include the Idol and AoW that can be instanced so you won't have another guild breathing down your neck...even though that made things a bit more intense and exciting IMO.

One of our first AoW kills we raced another rival guild to get there. We set up on the right side of the arena and they set up on the left just in case we failed. We didn't and got congrats and everything from the other guild, but it was an intense race and push to nab that Statue before them.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

The "Just Say No" ad campaign always made me laugh. 

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

The "Just Say No" ad campaign always made me laugh. 

You guys are either showing your age or education... hmmmm. When I speak to most people my age they have no idea who Tipper is, nor have any idea what Nancy Reagan was all about.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Yes in everquest

Vanguard works out alright, yes it has a low population but even when it had 200k subs it was okay.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I say yes to instances!!!

At least when it comes to dungeons. I don't like much when a game instances a zone when it has too many people on it (though I understand the technical reasons for it), and not a fan of solo instances in games like Age of Conan and TSW (though the solo instances did make sense sometimes there), or the instancing of adventure areas like in DDO...

But that said, I'm a big fan of instancing when it comes to dungeons or raids. I remember AoC having public dungeons, which sounded like a good idea on paper, but in practice ended up being just groups standing at the bosses spawning spots and seeing who managed to tag it first when he did. And while I do enjoy GW2 open world dragon fights, I find instanced dungeon bosses more fun.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Rimmer yeah but vanguard is pve only, I like my pvp first, I do enjoy pve, but when its more open world.