Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally .. no more sub games for me

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

My WOW annual pass is finally up. So i cancelled prompty. This will be my last sub game (MMO or otherwise).

Not that i don't play F2P games before, but now .. it is all F2P for all the MMOs i will play.

Looks like TSW may go F2P in the future too .. anyone want to venture a guess of when that will happen?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Grats, it's nice to get that monkey off your back. I know I'm quite happy in my sub-free game, and hopefully for TSW they'll have their share of success ditching the sub model as well.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Grats, it's nice to get that monkey off your back. I know I'm quite happy in my sub-free game, and hopefully for TSW they'll have their share of success ditching the sub model as well.

I am waiting for TSW to turn F2P too. The other one i am waiting for is Marvel Heroes.

But in the mean time, it is not like there is a lack of games to play. Still playing D3, PS2 is still fun particularly i am getting better at head shotting people. And i have a tons of SP games to finish.

[mod edit]
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Good luck on spending more on F2P to enjoy the game.
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Don't worry. I will join the majority of MMO players in the US, and pay nothing. I will let teh whales to subsidize my gaming. It is not like i haven't play F2P before, jsut that i have to wait till my annual pass is over before killing the last sub.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Don't worry. I will join the majority of MMO players in the US, and pay nothing. I will let teh whales to subsidize my gaming. It is not like i haven't play F2P before, jsut that i have to wait till my annual pass is over before killing the last sub.

That's fine, I'll rephrase my wording then.

"Good luck on being treated as a second-class citizen in every game."

The only reason developers keep you non-paying players in F2P games is to entertain the paying demographic.

Originally posted by BlueSage13

The "free" part is what holds me back from truly discussing the topic. You inherently add-in the "free" to your list of games without speaking about anything else like quality or anything else of the game...but it certanly must be "free."

Quality is obviously in the eye of the beholder. But i found enough free games taht are fun.

PS2 is fun for me.

DCUO is fun for me.

TSW looks good.

Marvel Heroes looks *really* good .. a Marvel Ultimate Alliance type game without a fee!!!!

So it is not like there is a lack of fun games taht are free (for me at least).

"Good luck on being treated as a second-cass citizen in every game then."

The only reason developers keep you non-paying players is to entertain the paying demographic.

Of course. It is only fair that the pay customers goet some advantage, don't you think?

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

"Good luck on being treated as a second-cass citizen in every game."

The only reason developers keep you non-paying players in F2P games is to entertain the paying demographic.

100% accurate. 

• BlueSage13BlueSage13 Member Posts: 22

They do provide a lot of entertainment...as they are willing to risk more with said free account. :)

www.thedragon13.com - Become a Dragon. What have you done to change our world?

Of course. It is only fair that the pay customers goet some advantage, don't you think?

Like I said, if you enjoy being a second-class citizen in every game and hop from game to game F2P is a viable alternative, but don't pretend like this is a good deal.

Players who don't spend a dime in a F2P game are kept in the game for one reason and one reason only, it is to entertain the paying customers, once your function is up, usually after about 1 month into the game, the power of the cash shop items increases and you become irrelevant.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by CalmOceans Good luck on spending more on F2P to enjoy the game.

If the people not paying anything are having fun, what difference does it make why the developers are keeping the players?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Like I said, if you enjoy being a second-class citizen in every game and hop from game to game F2P is a viable alternative, but don't pretend like this is a good deal.

Players who don't spend a dime in a F2P game are kept in the game for one reason and one reason only, it is to entertain the paying customers, once your function is up, usually after about 1 month into the game, the power of the cash shop items increases and you become irrelevant.

Why isn't it a good deal when i am having fun paying nothing?

Games are not that important that i need to pay for attention. I play PS2 a bit now .. and it is a great deal. Very fun. Now if i want the newest sniper rifle, i can pay $7 to get it now, or wait for weeks. It is still fun without it.

So i really don't care the reason ... as long as i have some fun. And i probably will be gone before a month is up anyway. It is not like there is a lack of other games to play, right?

The funny thing is that i am more than capable to deciding how to have fun, and some will come in speaking as if i won't be having any fun.

Well ... if i am not .. i will do something else .. duh!

The funny thing is that i am more than capable to deciding how to have fun, and some will come in speaking as if i won't be having any fun.

Cause you have nothing invested in said game.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by nariusseldon The funny thing is that i am more than capable to deciding how to have fun, and some will come in speaking as if i won't be having any fun. Well ... if i am not .. i will do something else .. duh!

Charging a player money for a game they don't have fun playing isn't going to make the game fun to play. If a player is having fun in a game, they will invest time into the game, even if they don't spend money on the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Of course not? Why would i? I have lots of fun with lots of games without investing much. So?

Originally posted by coretex666

Good for you.

Just one question. If there was an amazing game (I mean really a game of your dreams) released tomorrow which would be charged by lets say 20 USD / month, would you subscribe or not?

I always have one sub game and one free game that I go back to--(server down/ game breaking glitches/ etc., etc.)  =]

Current sub game: TSW

Current free game: LoL with full skins for 6 toons. :)

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Ok I refuse to take the bait of one poster in this thread, but I do want to add that B2P seems to be the new prefered model for MMOs and I will gladly accept this.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I'm the exact opposite. I refuse to play F2P games. I just cancelled my TSW account which I had just recently reactivated due to it jumping on the F2P nonsense bandwagon.

<3

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

My WOW annual pass is finally up. So i cancelled prompty. This will be my last sub game (MMO or otherwise).

Not that i don't play F2P games before, but now .. it is all F2P for all the MMOs i will play.

Looks like TSW may go F2P in the future too .. anyone want to venture a guess of when that will happen?

It's allready gone f2p.  Just received an email from them.

Can't see this email? View it online
    This message is being sent to you because you have shown an interest in Funcom products.
    We encourage you to add [email protected] your address book. You may unsubscribe from this publication at any time.

That’s right! Now you can enjoy everything The Secret World has to offer without ever having to pay subscription. All you have to do is login to the game and continue your adventures! No strings attached.

The game is better than ever!

The Secret World has grown tremendously with four major content updates since launch. Among the new content is a raid set in New York City, a theater in London where you can put on a play, new auxiliary weapons and more.

We look forward to seeing you in-game!

If you would like to download the game client again, you can easily get the download by clicking here. If you would like to know more about the changes we have made click here.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    [mod edit]

That's exactly what I was thinking. As a newly disabled person I can't work, nice to see people assume that everyone can and that no one has health issues and that poverty is the only driving force behind F2P games right?

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    For your sake I hope you never manage to find a F2P that you actually want to stick with.   Thats when you will wish it had a sub......
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    For your sake I hope you never manage to find a F2P that you actually want to stick with.   Thats when you will wish it had a sub......

Lol, exactly!

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by snapfusion

That statement would only be accurate if the sub games were higher quality.  As history as shown, they aren't.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.