Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: The Revenue Model Shift

Comments

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Yeah!  Monthly points expire after 6 months!  How awesome!

... Seriously, points expire after 6 months?  Who does that?

I'm sure if enough lifers complain this will get changesd to points for ever. If it doesn't non-Lifers will be reluctent to spend money as they will be wondering how the company can crap on them also. The nobody wins, neither Funcom or us.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

I love this new model for F2Pers but if you bought a lifetime and have to spend your points or lose them every six months and you get no discount on DLC, it kinds sucks.

Just one more example of why lifetime subs and supporting these game companies usually comes around to bite you in the butt.  Not only do you lose your right to vote with your wallet but you are also stuck in whatever crazy F2P model they launch.  Seriously, points expire after 6 months?  Who does that?

6 Months is plenty of time to log in at least once and spend your points.  If you don't log in for over 6 months, well, then I guess the game isn't important to you and therefore it doesn't really matter.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by mbd1968

... Seriously, points expire after 6 months?  Who does that?

I'm sure if enough lifers complain this will get changesd to points for ever. If it doesn't non-Lifers will be reluctent to spend money as they will be wondering how the company can crap on them also. The nobody wins, neither Funcom or us.

I have lifetime and already made my views clear about this on the official forums, it's the only negative thing in my opinion and hope it gets changed so they dont expire (even if they add a cap), otherwise it’s a great move and a great model. The people playing SWTOR with all its restrictions they have must be scratching their heads right about now.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

ATTENTION!!!

Why in the world didn't they do this model with AoC??? The world wouldn't be so empty. Insteady they penny pinched with AoC and TSW gets the proper B2P model? WTF! I loved TSW but couldn't justify the subscription once GW2 came out. I will now go back to TSW because it's a fantastic game, but do this for AoC as well and I'm back to that game in a flash.

totally agree with this..they  should do the same with AOC

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I logged in and all I can say was wow, looks like everybody else did there is so many players at argartha that its lagging hard.  I never seen this many players at this time of the day when I left. 

I got to say swtor should have went this route, they would have gotten less hate. 

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by GR3NDEL

This was quite the surprise to wake up to... but not a bad one in the least.  They tried using the subscription model - it didn't work, so Funcom is astute enough to move to another model.  Nothing wrong with that - it's actually good business sense.

However, I'm curious about the posters who screamed 'I hate TSW because it's not F2P!  It has to go to F2P!  It has to go to F2P!!!' for all these months.  Now that they have had their wish granted, will they say 'Hey cool, let me dive on in!' or will they find themselves scrambling for some other reason to hate TSW, since one of their biggest justifications just got knocked out from under them?

Time will tell.

I am actually going to go back and dive in myself. :D

This is a very very positive change in my book.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by GR3NDEL

However, I'm curious about the posters who screamed 'I hate TSW because it's not F2P!  It has to go to F2P!  It has to go to F2P!!!' for all these months.  Now that they have had their wish granted, will they say 'Hey cool, let me dive on in!' or will they find themselves scrambling for some other reason to hate TSW, since one of their biggest justifications just got knocked out from under them?

Time will tell.

I don't like FC much for a plethora of reasons, and having this game sub+store+box price mmo was one of them.

This is what I said earlier in the first B2P topic:

"Good model for new people to pick it up. Lifers get shafted a bit, but overall I like it."

I've done the trial and will probably even buy it now from some christmas sale. The story is good so I'm willing to give FC ~20e for it.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Downloading the updates as we speak.  I always thought TSW was a good game, just wasnt worth a subscription because I no longer feel subscription is the way to go in todays market.  Its much easier to get your revenue from a good cash shop with non-P2W items such as boosts, convience items and costume items.  If any game was made for costume items its TSW's apparel shop.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by grimal

Where's bcbully?  Hasn't he chimed in yet?  I expect he'll do cartwheels.

I don't believe so, just yesterday he was saying B2P was bad for GW2....

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

So if I bought TSW at launch I essentially have F2P now but if I bought ToR at launch I'm treated like a disabled kid in a wheelchair.

GG

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

This is a great model and I really hope FC is successful with it. I'm a lifetimer and 6 months is plenty of time to spend your monthly points.

I dont feel shafted at all, props to FC

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         Now make Anarchy Online a 30 dollar b2p and you have my business.....
  • SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Notice to Funcom:  You guys totally ripped off people with the launch of AoC saying it would include things that it never did.  You showed countless hours of footage pre-release that never made it into the game.  You continued to tell players about how well the PvP was, when in fact it was broken beyond belief at release.  Seriously, that is why you will never get that many people to ever buy your products because of your history.  

Also. Funcom is a publicly traded company (pink-sheets I know, just $0.23 a share).  For the author to have advance knowledge that this game was changing it's revenue model several days in advance is a potential violation of the SEC's Fair Disclosure Act (Reg FD).  I will be reporting Funcom to the SEC for ths potential violation since it is a material change in the company's prospects, since TSW is the company's major asset.   I'd like to thank the author for admitting he had advance knowledge of this non-public material information, as I hope this finally puts Funcom out of business.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Was a good move I think, now hopefully the game actually gets a meaty marketing campaign going with even a little tv coverage.

If they took Age of Conan  (tied in with the new Arnold Shwarzenegger Movie in the franchise) and a "new engine" Anarchy Online down the exact same route it is interesting to wonder how much of a difference this could make for Funcom & where they could be in a year or two's time.

My prediction is that this kind of strategy may just lead to Funcom rising as a powerhouse developer.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by SBE1

Notice to Funcom:  You guys totally ripped off people with the launch of AoC saying it would include things that it never did.  You showed countless hours of footage pre-release that never made it into the game.  You continued to tell players about how well the PvP was, when in fact it was broken beyond belief at release.  Seriously, that is why you will never get that many people to ever buy your products because of your history.  

Also. Funcom is a publicly traded company (pink-sheets I know, just $0.23 a share).  For the author to have advance knowledge that this game was changing it's revenue model several days in advance is a potential violation of the SEC's Fair Disclosure Act (Reg FD).  I will be reporting Funcom to the SEC for ths potential violation since it is a material change in the company's prospects, since TSW is the company's major asset.   I'd like to thank the author for admitting he had advance knowledge of this non-public material information, as I hope this finally puts Funcom out of business.

We'll all be waiting to see your success with this *smirk*.

I have reported it to the SEC.  They will take it from here.  I know from my former job that material non-public information, such as how they are going to earn money for thier largest asset, is a violation of Reg FD. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

We'll all be waiting to see your success with this *smirk*.

I have reported it to the SEC.  They will take it from here.  I know from my former job that material non-public information, such as how they are going to earn money for thier largest asset, is a violation of Reg FD. 

I got ripped off on AoC as well.  However, they did turn things around with TSW.  It can't be good for your health to be this angry about $50 from 2008.  You may want to seek some professional help, not kidding.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

ATTENTION!!!

Why in the world didn't they do this model with AoC??? The world wouldn't be so empty. Insteady they penny pinched with AoC and TSW gets the proper B2P model? WTF! I loved TSW but couldn't justify the subscription once GW2 came out. I will now go back to TSW because it's a fantastic game, but do this for AoC as well and I'm back to that game in a flash.

Exactly, i can't believe they locked Khitai behind sub when i originally payed for the x-pac. It would have been great for AoC too as it will be great for TSW.

This was a very right move for TSW. Kudos to the team, i bought it instantly.

BTW BioWare, this is how you do things. You may weep now.
  • primetheusprimetheus Member UncommonPosts: 28

Im a lifer and no way do i feel shafted at at all

1:) we get more than enough monthly points allowance to cover any dlc's whilst still haveing extra on top to spend on anything else

2:) we get an increased to 20% of any store purchase

3:)we get a freebie item monthly

lifers gain gain gain over what we have currently  cant see any lifers being upset tbh if you dont log in once at least every 6 months then chances are you wont miss the points (cant complain about stuff you eont use)

FC has done the  best thing possible for the ballsiest mmo ever made grats to them back to ARG as well for me so much to do in and out of game with TSW

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by black_isle

ATTENTION!!!

Why in the world didn't they do this model with AoC???

Exactly, i can't believe they locked Khitai behind sub when i originally payed for the x-pac. It would have been great for AoC too as it will be great for TSW.

Age of Conan is not Ip belong to funcom ,they have a contract and obligations .I dont know contract terms of course but without  knowing contract terms nobody should comment.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

This was the best move funcom could have made, had they went B2P to begin with i suspect they would have sold nearly as many copies as GW2 if not more..

Even though this b2p model had to be watered down due to having to make sure the lifers have more but i will support it nevertheless..

Smart move by funcom..

It is sad they didnt go with a B2P with CS from the get go..

Playing GW2..

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Okay Bioware, have a look at this, this is how you turn a game free to play (its actually buy to play but still), they haven't put massive restrictions in place, they haven't inconvenienced non subscribers, they are just making them pay an (actually relatively small $5 says their website) price for monthly updates and having a decent store with vanity and convenience items. I always said that if anyone could make a decent free to play model it is funcom. Its actually buy to play but still pretty similar models.
  • eckardteckardt Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Is it worth to mantain the monthly subscription? I love this game
  • eckardteckardt Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Is it worth to mantain the monthly subscription? What will be the cost of each dlc? How regular will they be released?
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by eckardt
    Is it worth to mantain the monthly subscription? What will be the cost of each dlc? How regular will they be released?

Could always wait another  6 months and get the 'GOTY' version with all the DLC included for 30 bucks.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

New Content for the Future

Periodically we will release packs of DLC (Downloadable Content). These updates, called Issues in The Secret World, contain new content, such as more Auxiliary Weapons, new missions and story arcs. These packs are fully optional and can be purchased normally or for the Bonus Points that are included in the optional Membership, as well as with the Grandmaster Lifetime service.

The first DLC will start selling in January 2013, and is the main storyline of issue #5. This will sell for $5, however this content is already fully unlocked for anyone who has a full game account registered before the end of December 2012.

Regular patches with free content and updates and enhancements to the core game will still continue.

Here this is included right of the main site but isnt listed in this interview. Key words on the last line aswell.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.