Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else in "limbo" ?

Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I called it limbo because I've stopped really looking for new mmorpgs to play or playing any of them.  I'm currently playing Fallen Enchantress & MechWarrior Online (not an MMORPG).

Does anyone else just feel like the genre got dissolved pretty much and other genres just cannibalized the good parts?  I've stopped posting and arguing on here because I haven't really seen anything to argue about.... the genre itself seems so stagnant and the player base seems to be swirling around the toilet bowl.

Anyone else just feel hopeless and in limbo in terms of gaming?  specifically mmorpgs?

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    As of today you The Secret World has gone B2P like GW2, enjoy the whole game with no monthly sub. If not there are numerous mmos that are F2P but not B2P.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I thought MMOs were kind of in a 'meh' state awhile back. Don't remember exactly when. TSW being B2P now is cool, and shows at least a little shift in MMO thinking. I'm also taking some time to play some older games and some indie games on Steam. Oh yeah, Metro 2033 is free if you go to their Facebook page and 'Like' it. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Well, i think that they should begin making something unique to the game, and that they are coping a lot from each other. Of course that is dangerous, as you don't know if people are going to play your game, but I will agree with you on some of those points. 

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Angier2758

I called it limbo because I've stopped really looking for new mmorpgs to play or playing any of them.  I'm currently playing Fallen Enchantress & MechWarrior Online (not an MMORPG).

Does anyone else just feel like the genre got dissolved pretty much and other genres just cannibalized the good parts?  I've stopped posting and arguing on here because I haven't really seen anything to argue about.... the genre itself seems so stagnant and the player base seems to be swirling around the toilet bowl.

Anyone else just feel hopeless and in limbo in terms of gaming?  specifically mmorpgs?

I feel very similar, and I know it's because I do not fit the mold of the current MMO consumer.  I'm playing GW2 right now, but I think I'll probably go back to Vanguard yet again. 

I have EQN on my radar... that might be about it. 

The MMORPG genre may have just about passed me by. 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Yeah, pretty much.  Don't even feel like going on about it, anymore.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    It occurred to when I was looking at the choices for MMORPG.com's 2012 Game of the Year that MMORPGs have been really disappointing for quite some time.  I have said "It's too bad how <xyz game> turned out, it had so much potential." sooooo many times now.  Maybe that's just a testament to great strides marketing has made in selling us the latest MMORPG.
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I play ArcheAge in my head every day... but that's just a dream. image

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I was getting desperate before the TSW announcement today.  Hell, I was trying the free portions of TERA and installing Anarchy online as well as some other old really obscure MMO's.  GW2 was and is fun for the combat and no quest hubs, but it's really shallow and not something I can stomach for long periods of time.  I also can't wait to try Age of Wushu beta coming up in a week.

I've not thrown in the towel, but I was starting to ask myself if I'm fried on MMO's unlike I've been the last 12 years.

Originally posted by Tjed

I feel very similar, and I know it's because I do not fit the mold of the current MMO consumer.  I'm playing GW2 right now, but I think I'll probably go back to Vanguard yet again. 

I have EQN on my radar... that might be about it. 

The MMORPG genre may have just about passed me by. 

I have been playing  Vanguard for nearly 6  years but since testing the Age Of Wushu beta in november i cant really log in and have fun. Age Of Wushu is a true unique mmo with some features never seen in any mmo.

Eight more days and it will be the second western beta , i cant wait.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Age of Wushu so far was MEH.

Playing GW2 - might go back to Rift also.

TSW - may try again, not sure.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Well if I only looked at video games yes, however I am a RPG gamer and video games no long have RPG games so I am playing Pathfinder and Ice and Fire waiting on Pathfinder Online release. The rest just doesn't deserve my time.

The current evolution of games reminds me of games back in the 80s. If you are wondering what I mean, they are easy and dumbed down like they where in the 80s with limited technology. Now they are just making these games as cheap as possible to see if gamers will still pay money for them that they would a real game. Not a single game came out this year worth the box price and not one lived up to their claims.

Of course we know that the trinity is the only way to play, limited skills and no skill advancement is a fail, Instancing isn't a world, story lines are for single player games, and without content the games will continue to fail.

There has never been and never will be a successful casual MMO! But casual gamers killed the genre.

Originally posted by NaughtyP

Age Of Wushu is very similar but does not have sea combat but it has a prison system and many other features you see in ArcheAge. It is more sandbox than ArcheAge with no classes or levels and totally skill based.

It also has clan warfare and building plus land ownership and farming. It also has some features that are really innovational.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Been playing EQ2 with a great group of guys met here. Having a blast there right now. Haven't logged into GW2 in about a month, but still have a bit of an itch to play that.

With the recent announcement of TSW dropping it's sub fee, I'm extremely tempted to buy that today. Probably will, but not sure if I'll have time to play it really right now. Been following it for months because the setting really interests me.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Yes and have been for some imte(likely to continue too).  Tried the beta weekends for firefall and although not very good may be fun on a very casual basis.
  • D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Age Of Wushu is very similar but does not have sea combat but it has a prison system and many other features you see in ArcheAge. It is more sandbox than ArcheAge with no classes or levels and totally skill based.

It also has clan warfare and building plus land ownership and farming. It also has some features that are really innovational.

I am also very excited for this and looking forward to getting into beta! Lets hope!

It's also very sad to see so many others in this thread like me. I feel completely burnt out on the MMO genre by no fault of my own. I sit here with sometimes 2-4 hours to spare and end up doing nothing but looking for new games and/or reinstalling old ones. If you had asked me 7 years ago what the state of the MMO genre would be like today i would never have guessed it would be this bad. I would have gone on for hours about how brilliant, creative, huge and free MMO's would be by now yet they have all gone in the complete opposite direction.

Sad sad sad and as a 23 year old man, i can honestly say its down to the shitty 'gimme gimme gimme' youth of today, the 'locusts' who eat everything up in a month and move on. What happened to the days where MMO's were nerdy second-life getaways where you could spend hours doing nothing and still have a blast because the world and content was crafted by passionate developers. It seems like devs have lost their passion for creating new games and worlds although how can you blame them? The market is so competitive now i doubt the devs have enough room to fart let alone create something original. 

I am looking towards Darkfall, Age of Wushu, Archeage and Earthrise (under new management). Indie devs and Asians are the only ones catering to my MMO needs these days and honestly i like it. I am NO LONGER falling for ANY of the hype-machines surrounding these AAA-shit-fest titles churned out by Western devs.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

[2]

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Age Of Wushu pvp - pretty scenery, ugly human, nice combat.  Not for me.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Nope. I don't feel limbo or hopeless. In fact, there are too many good games to play. I have not yet finished Borderlands 2. D3 is still fun. PS2 is pretty fun too. And i have yet to realy start on COD:BO2. There are too many good games out there, and we haven't even got to a bunch of iOS/indie games that i am trying out.

But you are right, you can get the good parts of many MMOs from non-MMOs. I like D3 dungeoning much better than any MMO becuase of the combat. I am going to try MWO too .. and you really don't need a MMO to do Mech combat right. In fact, i like lobby type PvE games, and you really don't need a MMO for that. The only reason i am playing pve MMOs is that there aren't enough lobby based ARPGs.

I do like some large battle combat .. so i like PS2 .. but they also strip down MMO features, and focus on FPS combat, abate they have a huge persistent world (which i don't think is central to my enjoyment).

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

There's a few games on the distant horizon that have a chance at being good.  Archeage, World of Darkness, Lineage Eternal.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Yep. Every MMO that has come out in years had:

1. someone gets max level in less than a week; often within hours
    2. hundreds of people that trashed it on the forums a week after launch.
    3. usually has tons of people complaining about hacks or exploits.
    4. gone F2P shortly after launch

The MMO industry has truly sucked for a lot of years now.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

Yep. Every MMO that has come out in years had:

1. someone gets max level in less than a week; often within hours
    2. hundreds of people that trashed it on the forums a week after launch.
    3. usually has tons of people complaining about hacks or exploits.
    4. gone F2P shortly after launch

The MMO industry has truly sucked for a lot of years now.

1. so what .. there is always a no-lifer who spent 24/7 on the game. For 99.9% of the players, it took months.

2. are you insecure and need validation on forums before playing a game? Every game has haters.

3.Complaining about it ... is one thing. If there is actual hacks or exploits, it is a problem.

4. That is good. Better yet, start as F2P like PS2.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I've been in limbo for a few years when it comes to MMO's now. Nothing really grabs me anymore, in years past i couldnt wait to get home from work, the missus to go to bed, grab that few hours in the current MMO and now its a case of trying each one as they release and becoming bored rather quickly. I find myself gravitating more and more towards single player and co-op games than MMO's nowadays.

Unless you go back to older games the politics, rivalry and thrill just doesn't seem to be there anymore, you'd be as well playing single players. Maybe its just me changing and not the MMO's but i can't help wishing sandbox games could have just one new shining star rather than lots of runn of the mill, even though they really weren't my thing years ago.

Originally posted by Kabaal

I've been in limbo for a few years when it comes to MMO's now. Nothing really grabs me anymore, in years past i couldnt wait to get home from work, the missus to go to bed, grab that few hours in the current MMO and now its a case of trying each one as they release and becoming bored rather quickly. I find myself gravitating more and more towards single player and co-op games than MMO's nowadays.

Unless you go back to older games the politics, rivalry and thrill just doesn't seem to be there anymore, you'd be as well playing single players. Maybe its just me changing and not the MMO's but i can't help wishing sandbox games could have just one new shining star rather than lots of runn of the mill, even though they really weren't my thing years ago.

Politics and rivalry needs a large group of players who want to do politics and rivalry. May be the reason why there are few games involve politics and rivalry because few players want that.

MMOs are certainly better games, and there are more variety (in terms of gameplay & setting types). If you can't find something you like, may be your taste is out of line with teh mass market.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Kabaal I've been in limbo for a few years when it comes to MMO's now. Nothing really grabs me anymore, in years past i couldnt wait to get home from work, the missus to go to bed, grab that few hours in the current MMO and now its a case of trying each one as they release and becoming bored rather quickly. I find myself gravitating more and more towards single player and co-op games than MMO's nowadays. Unless you go back to older games the politics, rivalry and thrill just doesn't seem to be there anymore, you'd be as well playing single players. Maybe its just me changing and not the MMO's but i can't help wishing sandbox games could have just one new shining star rather than lots of runn of the mill, even though they really weren't my thing years ago.
    Politics and rivalry needs a large group of players who want to do politics and rivalry. May be the reason why there are few games involve politics and rivalry because few players want that.

MMOs are certainly better games, and there are more variety (in terms of gameplay & setting types). If you can't find something you like, may be your taste is out of line with teh mass market.

'The masses' to whom you refer certainly aren't playing MMOs. Otherwise, we wouldn't see numerous stories about game companies enduring $millions in losses, executing massive layoffs, and in some cases going belly up.

Glad you like the current crop of MMOs but you most certainly do not speak for the masses.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• MisalignedMisaligned Member UncommonPosts: 45

Yes, I too am in limbo. I'm currently playing EverQuest -- it was my first MMO and despite having changed drastically since 1999 still offers a more enjoyable experience for me than anything else since classic DAoC. 

A large part of my malcontent is less about games and more about lack of RL friends to play them with. My best times in MMOs were playing with RL friends. Most of my friends have either given up on the genre or are scattered about different games. I've joined guilds in a number of different games and just haven't found a group of people I mesh with. If there are any PST late-night stoner guilds out there please PM me. 

Games are less important than the people you play them with, for me anyway.