Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life Day comes to SWTOR

superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

And of course, in Game Update 1.6 we are expanding the offerings in the new Cartel Market. First and foremost is the new addition of Lifeday items! Yes, Lifeday is coming to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ as a celebration and reflection of the holiday season. Of particular note is the Czerka LD-1 Celebrator, a new vehicle that is so ridiculously awesome that it needs to be seen to be believed.

To get Life Day items you BUY them from the Cartel market.

Do the devs not understand, we like to PLAY games, not PAY them?

They have already proven that they can add events to the game, because I found the event earlier in the year quite good fun, can't remember what it was clalled, but there was one in Nar Shaddaa where you had to help a robot finish the race, because the others were cheating, plus there was collectbles around the planets.

Now they have the Cartel Market they do not need to do these events and just stick items in the market instead to buy with real money - pathetic and lazy.

If there was no Cartel Market or F2P, I bet they would have done a proper Life Day event too, and get the items that why - by PLAYING the game.

These events are things I would sub to. I might even sub to get these limited items if were on a vendor (which SWG had) that uses in game currency / tokens (you play the game and accrue the relevant currency and then go spend it), but I am not subbing to buy this stuff with Cartel Coins (which comes from spending more real money) it is not satisfying / rewarding

A thread on the official SWTOR forums that shares my sentiments - SWG never charged for Life Day gifts

Comments

• hockey98hockey98 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by superniceguy

And of course, in Game Update 1.6 we are expanding the offerings in the new Cartel Market. First and foremost is the new addition of Lifeday items! Yes, Lifeday is coming to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ as a celebration and reflection of the holiday season. Of particular note is the Czerka LD-1 Celebrator, a new vehicle that is so ridiculously awesome that it needs to be seen to be believed.To get Life Day items you BUY them from the Cartel market.Do the devs not understand, we like to PLAY games, not PAY them?They have already proven that they can add events to the game, because I found the event earlier in the year quite good fun, can't remember what it was clalled, but there was one in Nar Shaddaa where you had to help a robot finish the race, because the others were cheating, plus there was collectbles around the planets.Now they have the Cartel Market they do not need to do these events and just stick items in the market instead to buy with real money - pathetic and lazy.If there was no Cartel Market or F2P, I bet they would have done a proper Life Day event too, and get the items that why - by PLAYING the game.These events are things I would sub to. I might even sub to get these limited items if were on a vendor (which SWG had) that uses in game currency / tokens (you play the game and accrue the relevant currency and then go spend it), but I am not subbing to buy this stuff with Cartel Coins (which comes from spending more real money) it is not satisfying / rewardingA thread on the official SWTOR forums that shares my sentiments - SWG never charged for Life Day gifts

I just want to make sure you knew SWG died. Anything great about SWG must not have been to great since the game died. You see it really does not matter what SWTOR does people will complain, whine, cry, and everything else in between. You also dont have to buy anything, yes I agree games like LOTRO do a great job with events, but i guarantee you if SWTOR would have made an event the same ones whining about this (maybe not you) would be whining that they cant release an expansion but they release a crappy event.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by hockey98

And of course, in Game Update 1.6 we are expanding the offerings in the new Cartel Market. First and foremost is the new addition of Lifeday items! Yes, Lifeday is coming to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ as a celebration and reflection of the holiday season. Of particular note is the Czerka LD-1 Celebrator, a new vehicle that is so ridiculously awesome that it needs to be seen to be believed.

To get Life Day items you BUY them from the Cartel market.

Do the devs not understand, we like to PLAY games, not PAY them?

They have already proven that they can add events to the game, because I found the event earlier in the year quite good fun, can't remember what it was clalled, but there was one in Nar Shaddaa where you had to help a robot finish the race, because the others were cheating, plus there was collectbles around the planets.

Now they have the Cartel Market they do not need to do these events and just stick items in the market instead to buy with real money - pathetic and lazy.

If there was no Cartel Market or F2P, I bet they would have done a proper Life Day event too, and get the items that why - by PLAYING the game.

These events are things I would sub to. I might even sub to get these limited items if were on a vendor (which SWG had) that uses in game currency / tokens (you play the game and accrue the relevant currency and then go spend it), but I am not subbing to buy this stuff with Cartel Coins (which comes from spending more real money) it is not satisfying / rewarding

A thread on the official SWTOR forums that shares my sentiments - SWG never charged for Life Day gifts

I just want to make sure you knew SWG died. Anything great about SWG must not have been to great since the game died. You see it really does not matter what SWTOR does people will complain, whine, cry, and everything else in between. You also dont have to buy anything, yes I agree games like LOTRO do a great job with events, but i guarantee you if SWTOR would have made an event the same ones whining about this (maybe not you) would be whining that they cant release an expansion but they release a crappy event.

SWG had 8.5 years, and SWTOR will have a lot less than that, if it carries on like this.

The post copied from the original link in the OP: SWG never charged for Life Day gifts

but then, it was and is still a better game. maybe the devs should go read about wookiees, because they dont celebrate life day to make money. they could have easily given out life day gifts to the community to celebrate the holidays, but instead they tie it to the lame cartel market, trying to get a few dollars out of the gifts. PATHETIC. maybe those few dollars can make up for the subscription im about to cancel, as im tired of not being able to email my guild as well.

buh bye lamest star wars game ive ever played

More threads on the official forums all these from paying subbers on the matter

life day items on cartel market insulting.

Well i love swtor but I have to say this makes me mad. This is the first mmo that I have ever played that makes you pay to enjoy holiday fun. There should really be quests to get these items at least for subs. This is a big fat fail imo bioware.

Life Day

I really dislike people who feel they are entitled to things, and I'm not going to say I'm quitting and never coming back because of it, but I'm sorry, BW & EA's answer for Life Day & 1 year anniversary is pretty messed up. Here's 25 consumable fireworks, thanks for subscribing to the game for a year! And then they go ahead and put a load of items out there that you have to pay RL money for? I mean the full pack is what, $20, Seriously? I don't want an in-game mail with 10 items in it, but c'mon.

It's very disappointing you aren't putting any effort into an event for it, when it's the perfect way to go about your 1 year and x-mas, but that is what it is. To not even put together a quest chain to earn at least a few of the items though, and make every piece of Life Day cost $$ says a lot about this company and the future of the game.

Christmas is swtor - no event, just cartel packs

So it was officially confirmed that there will be no event, and the life day packs are all we are getting.
    Probably biggest letdown so far

• hockey98hockey98 Member Posts: 26

The post copied from the original link in the OP: SWG never charged for Life Day giftsbut then, it was and is still a better game. maybe the devs should go read about wookiees, because they dont celebrate life day to make money. they could have easily given out life day gifts to the community to celebrate the holidays, but instead they tie it to the lame cartel market, trying to get a few dollars out of the gifts. PATHETIC. maybe those few dollars can make up for the subscription im about to cancel, as im tired of not being able to email my guild as well.

More threads on the official forums all these from paying subbers on the matterlife day items on cartel market insulting.Well i love swtor but I have to say this makes me mad. This is the first mmo that I have ever played that makes you pay to enjoy holiday fun. There should really be quests to get these items at least for subs. This is a big fat fail imo bioware. Life DayI really dislike people who feel they are entitled to things, and I'm not going to say I'm quitting and never coming back because of it, but I'm sorry, BW & EA's answer for Life Day & 1 year anniversary is pretty messed up. Here's 25 consumable fireworks, thanks for subscribing to the game for a year! And then they go ahead and put a load of items out there that you have to pay RL money for? I mean the full pack is what, $20, Seriously? I don't want an in-game mail with 10 items in it, but c'mon.

It's very disappointing you aren't putting any effort into an event for it, when it's the perfect way to go about your 1 year and x-mas, but that is what it is. To not even put together a quest chain to earn at least a few of the items though, and make every piece of Life Day cost $$ says a lot about this company and the future of the game.
     Christmas is swtor - no event, just cartel packsSo it was officially confirmed that there will be no event, and the life day packs are all we are getting.

Im not saying its right or wrong, to be honest if someone thinks the biggest let down in a video game is there is no event then im going to guess they really dont like the game to begin with and they are just trolling.

The post copied from the original link in the OP: SWG never charged for Life Day gifts

but then, it was and is still a better game. maybe the devs should go read about wookiees, because they dont celebrate life day to make money. they could have easily given out life day gifts to the community to celebrate the holidays, but instead they tie it to the lame cartel market, trying to get a few dollars out of the gifts. PATHETIC. maybe those few dollars can make up for the subscription im about to cancel, as im tired of not being able to email my guild as well.

Well i love swtor but I have to say this makes me mad. This is the first mmo that I have ever played that makes you pay to enjoy holiday fun. There should really be quests to get these items at least for subs. This is a big fat fail imo bioware.

Life Day

I really dislike people who feel they are entitled to things, and I'm not going to say I'm quitting and never coming back because of it, but I'm sorry, BW & EA's answer for Life Day & 1 year anniversary is pretty messed up. Here's 25 consumable fireworks, thanks for subscribing to the game for a year! And then they go ahead and put a load of items out there that you have to pay RL money for? I mean the full pack is what, $20, Seriously? I don't want an in-game mail with 10 items in it, but c'mon.

So it was officially confirmed that there will be no event, and the life day packs are all we are getting.

Im not saying its right or wrong, to be honest if someone thinks the biggest let down in a video game is there is no event then im going to guess they really dont like the game to begin with and they are just trolling.

As I said earlier they have proven they can do events, and even if they added a vendor and no event but was able to buy with in game credits, then I would be OK with that too - just play the game and acquire more in game credits if have not got enough.

But to add no event and put these items on the Cartel Market where real money is involved, is the lowest of the low., especially to subbers paying $15 per month already.

A game is to be played, not pay money and then pay MORE money

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

We'll always have Life Day, and that is something EA can't take away [mod edit]

It will live forever with the sweet music of Princess Leia from the Star Wars Holiday Special '78.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcb7VPw59s

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

We'll always have Life Day, and that is something EA can't take away, [mod edit]

It will live forever with the sweet music of Princess Leia from the Star Wars Holiday Special '78.

[mod edit]

You do not have to buy anything, and a lot of people are not, and even quitting the game because of it, because it just emphasises how money grabbing EA are.

GW2 may be able to get away with this stuff as it does not come with a monthly fee at all. You do not have to pay for a sub either, but the game is so restrictive as F2P and makes the game not so enjoyable People who sub should get this stuff for free. In STO some items are free in their shop for Gold (subbing) players, and STO is more playable F2P, and buying stuff in their store does not break the bank unlike SWTOR.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Life Day

Thing is it's  not about requiring people to pay to play a MMO, it's about asking people to pay for features that are better and free in other games.

Requesting people to pay on top of their subs for fluffy items for Christmas gifts is well, just saddening.

Then they're asking $20, which for a MMO isn't that cheap.

Also the supposedly best item, the speeder, isn't even new as mostly a re-skin.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Karteli

We'll always have Life Day, and that is something EA can't take away [mod edit]

Oh boy... that was a nasty pull to link it without a fair warning. I'll have nightmares tonight :)

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Life day?  What does that even mean?

In an effort to celebrate Life Day... Here's something to watch:

http://www.cracked.com/video_18433_everyones-favorite-star-wars-character-sucks-at-his-job.html

You make me like charity

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

lol,,,thank you very much,,,very funny video

and i certainly recognize the situation,,mine was about Hans encounter with Greedo , though

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

I kinda don't want to do it, but I'm gonna:

In SWG they actually gave us stuff for free. Like gift packages players could open and get fun little things out of, like Life Day trees and whatnot.

And as much as I loathed pink ewoks and shit, at least there was stuff do do..

"Meh, we don't have enough staff to put up an event, so here's some unused/re-skinned content assets you can buy"

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

This sort of holiday crap was never my thing - but it's true that they should have given more things away. Kinda pathetic to charge people for silly items like that.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Another half assed attempt. Either make a holiday in game or make it not. If you make it, make it right. Not this farce.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Man there were only like 3 dudes working on swg the last few years and they put out better stuff than this and more frequently. What a shame. Wasted opportunity with this game. I hope they turn it around.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

So I bought the life day orb for my daughter character and it's not even well done.

The hands of the character are clipping inside the orb itself, making the whole look bad.

Wished they took a few more minutes to set the item position bit higher, so it would actually levitate in the hands.

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

They spent a huge amount of $ to develop the game.

Spending $ for dev's to script some event costs more $.  It is way easier to make 20 digital items, sell them on the CM and make maximum profit.

As I see it - there is a no win situation here.  If people don't buy this stuff dev's wont have any income to actually create some event... The sad thing is, most likely if people buy all this stuff, they will think their economic model is successful and abstain from creating any new content that isn't 'bare-bones'.

Basically people just need to probably stop playing this game and move on :P   Until EA/Bioware/Lucas see massive profits on the game, they are unlikely to do much for their customers.