Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not as good as Blade&Soul

mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Just played it for few hours, finished school tasks. It very much reminds me of Perfect World and Jade Dynasty, except no levels. I liked that there are many combat styles and abilities which make fighting indepth, but everything else felt mediocre. Boring and plain stupid quest system, where for each one of 20 starting abilties you have to do basically the same: talk to NPC, run, do silly tasks with horrible writing, run again, run again, talk to NPC. Graphics on par with Perfect World, maybe slightly better. Pathfinding (you can click on quest NPC and character runs there himself) is horrible. One thing game doesnt lack of is amount of grinding and progression. You'll have to put in gazillion amount of time to unlock and develop everything.

Comparing this to Blade & Soul (which is also martial arts MMO), it feels that B&S is in another league. Better graphics, smoother combat, much, I mean MUCH better storyline and quests progression. And amazing cutscenes. I think people who liked PW and JD will like AoW. But it hardly can capture western MMOs vets

Thoughts after second, more indepth look: 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/749/view/forums/post/5458153

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

This is chinese....

Should be enough info

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Just played it for few hours, finished school tasks. It very much reminds me of Perfect World and Jade Dynasty, except no levels. I liked that there are many combat styles and abilities which make fighting indepth, but everything else felt mediocre. Boring and plain stupid quest system, where for each one of 20 starting abilties you have to do basically the same: talk to NPC, run, do silly tasks with horrible writing, run again, run again, talk to NPC. Graphics on par with Perfect World, maybe slightly better. Pathfinding (you can click on quest NPC and character runs there himself) is horrible. One thing game doesnt lack of is amount of grinding and progression. You'll have to put in gazillion amount of time to unlock and develop everything.Comparing this to Blade & Soul (which is also martial arts MMO), it feels that B&S is in another league. Better graphics, smoother combat, much, I mean MUCH better storyline and quests progression. And amazing cutscenes. I think people who liked PW and JD will like AoW. But it hardly can capture western MMOs vets

Sandbox and themepark, if you are looking for a MMO with great quest then Age Of Wushu is not it. If hand holding mmos is your limitations then Age Of Wushu is not it. If you are playing Age Of Wushu because you can fly or walk on Water then you should play B&S. If you want a sandbox FFA clan warfare, PK bounty system and farming and crafter dependent skill based MMO then play Age Of Wushu. No oversized weapons and giggling character with high heels on in Age Of Wushu, just feudal China.

• AzhurelAzhurel Member UncommonPosts: 5
    B&S is pretty, but Age of Wushu beats B&S with its depth and the sheer amount of content that it has.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I could never play B&S just from the art style alone, no matter how good the gameplay would be its just not for me.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    I like the sound of this from your guys description i might hae to take a look :)
  • malcombexmalcombex Member Posts: 14
    There are people who get it and those that dont - Mr Burton was not put upon this earth to get it!
    Originally posted by malcombex

There are people who get it and those that dont - Mr Burton was not put upon this earth to get it!

Yeah that's about the jess of i, blade&soul just rereminds me of a Tera type MMO.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This game cant compare to Blade and Soul.  
    Originally posted by Mannish

This game cant compare to Blade and Soul.  

It's not trying to lol, sandbox FFA and themepark, what's there to compare.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Just played it for few hours, finished school tasks. It very much reminds me of Perfect World and Jade Dynasty, except no levels. I liked that there are many combat styles and abilities which make fighting indepth, but everything else felt mediocre. Boring and plain stupid quest system, where for each one of 20 starting abilties you have to do basically the same: talk to NPC, run, do silly tasks with horrible writing, run again, run again, talk to NPC. Graphics on par with Perfect World, maybe slightly better. Pathfinding (you can click on quest NPC and character runs there himself) is horrible. One thing game doesnt lack of is amount of grinding and progression. You'll have to put in gazillion amount of time to unlock and develop everything.

Comparing this to Blade & Soul (which is also martial arts MMO), it feels that B&S is in another league. Better graphics, smoother combat, much, I mean MUCH better storyline and quests progression. And amazing cutscenes. I think people who liked PW and JD will like AoW. But it hardly can capture western MMOs vets

The only similarities between AoW and B&S is that they are marital arts games.  Other than that, it's apples and oranges.  You tried to play AoW like a themepark.  As it has been said numerous times, Age of Wushu isn't a mass market game that will hold up to the MMO Pop Culture.  Content locusts will be bored within 10 minutes.  Move along, AoW isn't the MMO you're looking for.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Sandbox vs themepark. OP wants a themepark. 

AoW has some truley beautiful motion capture combat. It's also the first eastern game that has me looking at western companies like wtf are you guys doing?. Beta fps was shockingly high. I ran a constant 45-60 fps with my AMD P4.

Full pvp, kidnapping, robbing guild caravans, spying, plus province/school raids. You can be the bad guy in Wushu.  

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

Sandbox vs themepark. OP wants a themepark.  AoW has some truley beautiful motion capture combat. It's also the first eastern game that has me looking at western companies like wtf are you guys doing?. Beta fps was shockingly high. I ran a constant 45-60 fps with my AMD P4. Full pvp, kidnapping, robbing guild caravans, spying, plus province/school raids. You can be the bad guy in Wushu.  

Yeah not forgetting public executions with beheading as the main sport for the spectator.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by bcbully

Sandbox vs themepark. OP wants a themepark. 

AoW has some truley beautiful motion capture combat. It's also the first eastern game that has me looking at western companies like wtf are you guys doing?. Beta fps was shockingly high. I ran a constant 45-60 fps with my AMD P4.

Full pvp, kidnapping, robbing guild caravans, spying, plus province/school raids. You can be the bad guy in Wushu.  

Yeah not forgetting public executions with beheading as the main sport for the spectator.

Hey you look like the guy who aressted me image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Sandbox and themepark, if you are looking for a MMO with great quest then Age Of Wushu is not it. If hand holding mmos is your limitations then Age Of Wushu is not it. If you are playing Age Of Wushu because you can fly or walk on Water then you should play B&S. If you want a sandbox FFA clan warfare, PK bounty system and farming and crafter dependent skill based MMO then play Age Of Wushu. No oversized weapons and giggling character with high heels on in Age Of Wushu, just feudal China.

Hell yeah. Now when are they launching in EU?

Originally posted by tom_gore

Just played it for few hours, finished school tasks. It very much reminds me of Perfect World and Jade Dynasty, except no levels. I liked that there are many combat styles and abilities which make fighting indepth, but everything else felt mediocre. Boring and plain stupid quest system, where for each one of 20 starting abilties you have to do basically the same: talk to NPC, run, do silly tasks with horrible writing, run again, run again, talk to NPC. Graphics on par with Perfect World, maybe slightly better. Pathfinding (you can click on quest NPC and character runs there himself) is horrible. One thing game doesnt lack of is amount of grinding and progression. You'll have to put in gazillion amount of time to unlock and develop everything. Comparing this to Blade & Soul (which is also martial arts MMO), it feels that B&S is in another league. Better graphics, smoother combat, much, I mean MUCH better storyline and quests progression. And amazing cutscenes. I think people who liked PW and JD will like AoW. But it hardly can capture western MMOs vets

Hell yeah. Now when are they launching in EU?

Yeah I'm from Europe, I think it will be April time to be honest. Good thing is we have the American version to play till then, will i want to start all over again though.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

What can you build or own in either game? In B&S, I would assume you get standard theme park stuff, so the answer would be nothing. What about AoW? Is the entire game based around FFA PvP, or is there anything else to the game?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    u are looking for a themepark so B&S is ur thing, curious enough ur mind will have less work there to figure out things. 
  • EwanisEwanis Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Is it hard to play the Age of Wushu, if you dont know chinese ? If i would like to play it, what should i do ?
  • spoononespoonone Member UncommonPosts: 40
    From what I'm getting from the replies, a person can't like like thempark and sandbox. 
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ewanis
    Is it hard to play the Age of Wushu, if you dont know chinese ? If i would like to play it, what should i do ?

Learn Chinese. Dur. Mandarin Chinese is probably the easiest to learn.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

It's just had it's first western beta the second starts on the 20th of December through till the 9th of January. Although the UI needs a bit of tweaking and some text needs to be read carefully it's not a problem, this is not the Chinese version.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Learn Chinese. Dur. Mandarin Chinese is probably the easiest to learn.

I played Tera on korean server, and i dont know even one korean word, it wasnt hard to play there. What i ask is, do i realy need to know chinese to play it, or it will be to difficult.

It's just had it's first western beta the second starts on the 20th of December through till the 9th of January. Although the UI needs a bit of tweaking and some text needs to be read carefully it's not a problem, this is not the Chinese version.

But you have to pay to get in teh closed beta right ? This beta is eu or us ?

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I put in some more hours in game and read some info. It looks like AoW has  much more into in then what lies on surface and I starting to like it. 
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

lol comparing a super success full in homeland sandbox FFA "realistic whit a flavour"  game to a high Fantasy already failed in homeland theme-park kitten game.  funny stuff