Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Opinion: Why WWIIOL is dead.

Comments

• kkelly9kkelly9 Member Posts: 6

axis, i appreciate your thoughts on the game, but you have stated that many times. we get it, you hate the game, and crs. please understand that other peoples experience may be different than yours.  we can sit here and find faults with every single mmo out there. it all depends on which bugs you can tolerate, and which you cant, to which game you end up calling home.

i also was in ahc, and i understand your complaints. but i also understand that ww2online is a fps mmo, and that comes with inherent problems from the start. those problems are why nobody else tries to do it. they put in specials on timers that are somehow supposed to represent real combat. i also understand that crs is not a big company like blizzard or bioware, and their resources have always been limited. so that kinda tailors my expectations. dont get me wrong, i get frustrated too, but i understand only so much can be done. so i take breaks from it. it sounds like you were heavily involved in every facet of the game, and that is a serious stress load.

i dont think you should take it personally that they havent or didnt fix what you specifically wanted fixed. you dont get to elevate yourself above any other customers, no matter how much you spent. any company has to do what they FEEL will benefit the most players. the players half the time will not agree with that. i paid full price for SWG for 8.5 years, through the CU and the NGE, only to lose it all just because of swtor's release. guess who cared? nobody. not SOE, not Bioware, not Lucas Arts. but i didnt hate on swtor, i just ignored it, and went back to ww2online where i started my first gaming. does it need work? hell yes. but it always will. just like all other mmo's are always being worked on.

im sorry you decided you didnt want to be part of our community anymore, because that really is what any mmo is about. but as a fellow gamer i hope you do find a community you love to be part of, and this game wont even matter to you anymore.

S!

• axishatraxishatr Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by kkelly9

axis, i appreciate your thoughts on the game, but you have stated that many times. we get it, you hate the game, and crs. please understand that other peoples experience may be different than yours.  we can sit here and find faults with every single mmo out there. it all depends on which bugs you can tolerate, and which you cant, to which game you end up calling home.

i also was in ahc, and i understand your complaints. but i also understand that ww2online is a fps mmo, and that comes with inherent problems from the start. those problems are why nobody else tries to do it. they put in specials on timers that are somehow supposed to represent real combat. i also understand that crs is not a big company like blizzard or bioware, and their resources have always been limited. so that kinda tailors my expectations. dont get me wrong, i get frustrated too, but i understand only so much can be done. so i take breaks from it. it sounds like you were heavily involved in every facet of the game, and that is a serious stress load.

i dont think you should take it personally that they havent or didnt fix what you specifically wanted fixed. you dont get to elevate yourself above any other customers, no matter how much you spent. any company has to do what they FEEL will benefit the most players. the players half the time will not agree with that. i paid full price for SWG for 8.5 years, through the CU and the NGE, only to lose it all just because of swtor's release. guess who cared? nobody. not SOE, not Bioware, not Lucas Arts. but i didnt hate on swtor, i just ignored it, and went back to ww2online where i started my first gaming. does it need work? hell yes. but it always will. just like all other mmo's are always being worked on.

im sorry you decided you didnt want to be part of our community anymore, because that really is what any mmo is about. but as a fellow gamer i hope you do find a community you love to be part of, and this game wont even matter to you anymore.

S!

That's the thing, it wasnt just me.  It was hundreds of people complaining and asking for changes or less change.  But, whenever things were brought up in the discussions it was labeled as bashing and erased, moved, or locked.

Here its open.  The truths are out and being discussed and expressed.  Not all my anger is towards a game change, its more towards how they handle other issues and matters.  They way their untrained and "all mighty" staff has no concerns over an individual out in the real world, behind the computer screens.

I've been treated the worst by these people and the game issues that I've stated that has made the game unplayable at times (especially during peak hours and squad nights) is just simply unacceptable in any business you are in.  I paid a premium price for a product that was unable to deliver reliable service at the times it should have.

That is, during peak squad time play of 8 EST, I usually CTD 10-15 times for the 4 hours I am on.  Also during this time I have run across the same stairway clippers mass killing and not being removed or banned after 25 .report them, have them on fraps, record them on video, send to BLOO and GOPHUR for review and yet we are still paying $17.99.  Nothing gets done because hardly anyone is around anymore.  No GM's on and no HC on a lot of nights during that peak play time.  That's changed a bit again, but still not what it should be for $17.99.

That is my beef guys.  For the money they have to provide a good game.  I love the game, but its just gone to chit the last few years in what I've said many many many times is CRS bad decisions and lack of respect for those longtime players that helped them stay afloat all these years.

I just cannot get over that.  Yes, there is a cheaper plan, but come on, I am truely worried about spending the money and having something charged to me I cannot get back.  I am afraid that the game will just not load one day and I'll be out the money I just payed for that month.  They've shown nothing to me that supports they will be around long.  They continue to gag people.  They continue to receive almost nothing for new support (paying support not f2p accounts that mean nothing other taking up server space and allowing the words "packed battlefield" to be used).  I mean real meat and potato support.  Kickstarter was nothing more pledging up people.  Steam is really just upvoters.  Like I said, seems like the same 100 people.  All good points to support not paying them more than $17.99 and not signing up for a year. 

They treat people like crap and then in the same swing of the arm go into kneeling mode and beg for help and money.  Things like that get under my skin.

I will have to move on but for me it's a hard thing since I sincerly feel I was wronged so badly.  Even worse, and why I fight so much for a lower price and a positive change.....is that there are many many more that got hosed too. 

I wish wwiiol could go on and CRS would dry up.  I think a new team would/could make wwiiol work again.  CRS had its chance and I am not willing to give them anymore to make it.  I really think it failed.

Thanks for your thoughts too.  Enjoy the game if you are still playing.

• maxiozmaxioz Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by axishatr

S!

That's the thing, it wasnt just me.  It was hundreds of people complaining and asking for changes or less change.  But, whenever things were brought up in the discussions it was labeled as bashing and erased, moved, or locked.

Here its open.  The truths are out and being discussed and expressed.  Not all my anger is towards a game change, its more towards how they handle other issues and matters.  They way their untrained and "all mighty" staff has no concerns over an individual out in the real world, behind the computer screens.

I've been treated the worst by these people and the game issues that I've stated that has made the game unplayable at times (especially during peak hours and squad nights) is just simply unacceptable in any business you are in.  I paid a premium price for a product that was unable to deliver reliable service at the times it should have.

That is, during peak squad time play of 8 EST, I usually CTD 10-15 times for the 4 hours I am on.  Also during this time I have run across the same stairway clippers mass killing and not being removed or banned after 25 .report them, have them on fraps, record them on video, send to BLOO and GOPHUR for review and yet we are still paying $17.99.  Nothing gets done because hardly anyone is around anymore.  No GM's on and no HC on a lot of nights during that peak play time.  That's changed a bit again, but still not what it should be for $17.99.

That is my beef guys.  For the money they have to provide a good game.  I love the game, but its just gone to chit the last few years in what I've said many many many times is CRS bad decisions and lack of respect for those longtime players that helped them stay afloat all these years.

I just cannot get over that.  Yes, there is a cheaper plan, but come on, I am truely worried about spending the money and having something charged to me I cannot get back.  I am afraid that the game will just not load one day and I'll be out the money I just payed for that month.  They've shown nothing to me that supports they will be around long.  They continue to gag people.  They continue to receive almost nothing for new support (paying support not f2p accounts that mean nothing other taking up server space and allowing the words "packed battlefield" to be used).  I mean real meat and potato support.  Kickstarter was nothing more pledging up people.  Steam is really just upvoters.  Like I said, seems like the same 100 people.  All good points to support not paying them more than $17.99 and not signing up for a year. 

They treat people like crap and then in the same swing of the arm go into kneeling mode and beg for help and money.  Things like that get under my skin.

I will have to move on but for me it's a hard thing since I sincerly feel I was wronged so badly.  Even worse, and why I fight so much for a lower price and a positive change.....is that there are many many more that got hosed too. 

I wish wwiiol could go on and CRS would dry up.  I think a new team would/could make wwiiol work again.  CRS had its chance and I am not willing to give them anymore to make it.  I really think it failed.

Ok understood Axis, that was a much better civilised post from you, and make me (and others i guess) understand your situation better. See? Us comming here wasn't such a bad thing anyway ;)...

Im on a monthly charge atm, i have allways had that sub type. Since i often commit quite strongly to the game when i do play it, play it hardcore in a few months, take a break in a few, and then get sucked back in for some more :), it's easier to unsub and resub by doing like that, but often i just let it stay subbed ;).

• kkelly9kkelly9 Member Posts: 6

yeah i can appreciate your frustration, and disapointment. all of us in swg had same feeling cuz it meant the world to us, but just dollars to SOE and Lucas. who we were as people never mattered. but i have to realize for that 8 yrs i was part of an awesome community that i will never forget, and thats really where the value of the game was. i came back to ww2online because of the community i remembered, not the purple skies and floating tanks that we had back in the early years lol.

and yes things in ww2online i dont agree with. i pay 17.99 while any returning vet gets 9.99 for long as they stay. thats only half what i pay, and i been here for the last year involved and supporting the game. but, now i  understand the community makes the game, and like you pointed out, it needs to grow to be healthy. i also understand that the new rate scale, and the wb program, are both things that the community has been asking for to help bring in players. i already decided i was willing to pay what i pay for as long as i stay, so i just look to having more fun as more people log in. all i can do is hope that some of them like what they see and grab a sub and stay awhile. for some company, i am not willing to sacrifice. for the community, i am.

obviously you understand all that already or you wouldnt be displaying the passion that you do lol. im not trying to talk you into playing, or from bashing the game, just saying i understand. but also that its the community trying to grow and push some of this stuff.

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by maxioz
    Originally posted by axishatr

S!

See? Us comming here wasn't such a bad thing anyway ;)...

Yes, about that.  What precipitated the flood in the first place?  

• There are certain facts that make it interesting outside of your disagreements with CRS:

1.  Map is continuous and larger than anything out there today.  Even if there are, admittedly, some gamey elements (mobile spawns etc) that cater to shoe-box gamers...you don't have to play that way if you don't want to.  You can set up missions to bring supplies from rear towns (cavalry to the rescue) and other things that are not scripted to impact battles - and that large map provides the terrain on which to maneuver.

2.  As a result - screening, all around security/perimeters, and defense in depth over a larger area become important.  

3.  Physics are modeled better than any other game I've seen.  This goes for flight models, projectile ballistics, and damage models.  It is not a points based system like many other games out there.

It truely is a battlefield simulation - typical engagement ranges are beyond 200 meters - seeing the enemy before he sees you is critical and sometimes difficult.  As a result, the pace of operations is slower than most other shoebox FPS games - and most squads see that as beneficial for massing troops and organizing assaults or setting up defences...and instant action is still available via mobile spawns (FRUs) if you so desire.  You can have the best of both worlds.  To me these attributes have value as I am an ex soldier - I am looking for a realistic simulation, not an arcade game; this goes for the graphics too - it serves it's purpose and is a tradeoff made to allow performance given the large engagement areas.  If you are there for more than just glitz - then it will have value for you.

Are there problems? Certainly.   From my perspective, whatever problems exist are outweighed by the value having WWIIonline in the world provides.  I'll do what I can to help keep that alive - at least until someone else comes up with something better; right now something better (from my point of view) does not exist.

• CaptBlackEagleCaptBlackEagle Member Posts: 1

I have been playing this game since 2004. Prior to that time I had played many FPS, and MMOs of all sorts.  In the mid 1990's I was a beta tester as a USAF Security Specialist for Combat Simulators used in the planning of high security facilities around the world.

The Idea of all games is to immerse the player into a world, and keep them entertained.  The challenges should be tough, but not so tough that you can't accomplish tasks.  In the early years of these type of games, this really required a lot of imagination on the players part.  And as hard as they tried they were less than flexible.  Battleground Europe is unique.

For me, flexibility is important.  I do not want a game that limits my choices.  Every game builder strives for that golden chalice, and CRS has achieved it.  I can choose to either play as part of a team (squad) or wing it on my own.  I can choose to fight almost anywhere I want.  It is this that sets Battleground Europe apart from the FPS.  I can get in a truck in Antwerp and drive to Luxemburg if I choose to.  I can fly a bomber from Hahn to Dover.  The choice is up to me. 

The Immersive nature of the game is not like that in an FPS.  In fact, the shock and awe of a bomber attack is amazing. The sight of tracer fire, tanks firing, AAA lighting up the sky...I knew I was immersed in the game when my scream shocked my wife.  I never saw that sniper, but I did hear the shot that killed me. 

Battleground Europe is not an FPS...you will not log in and suddenly find yourself stuck in an alley forced to fight what is in front of you...you choose your own tactics within a massive world. This game really requires you to use your smarts, paitence pays off, and the kill is much more gratifying because of it.  In fact, I can often spot the new players who come over from the FPS games....and they certainly help my score. 

The OP sounds like many of his kind found on many other games I have played.  Battleground Europe is too hard for him, so it is the game's fault.

Has nothing to do with being hard or easy.  After playing 9 years or so I've got the idea on how to "play the game".  Pretty sure I could take you easily unless you play that axis ez mode grenadier and cheat shoot me like most of them losers do.  I only play allied so its a little bit harder.

It has everything to do with the marketing schemes and lies CRS uses and the terrible job that those things do to make the game live.

Thats why its dead.  F2P added numbers but not a measurable finacial bonus.  DOC even says so on his post recently on the main page.

Sad.

• N1ckMN1ckM Member Posts: 8

axishatr, I like you much better when you make a less hate-filled post, I know you feel wronged by CRS but the only person to blame really is yourself, no-one forced you to pay for all those years, I'm sure you must have loved the game for many years otherwise you wouldn't have stuck at it for so long.

I feel a bit sad that you have so much hate for CRS, just move on, find a new hobby that you love.

Peace.

• depot12depot12 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by CaptBlackEagle

Battleground Europe is not an FPS...you will not log in and suddenly find yourself stuck in an alley forced to fight what is in front of you...you choose your own tactics within a massive world. This game really requires you to use your smarts, paitence pays off, and the kill is much more gratifying because of it.  In fact, I can often spot the new players who come over from the FPS games....and they certainly help my score. 

The OP sounds like many of his kind found on many other games I have played.  Battleground Europe is too hard for him, so it is the game's fault.

Yea, it used to be like you described.  Now the HC just sets an AO and then its just like you said everyone floods into the one FRU in town.  Its nothing now like it used to be.  Sure you can do all that stuff you said now but today its meaningless since they got rid of resupply and interdiction and went to the HC structure. 

I also like your last sentence where you dismiss him as someone who couldn't play the game.  Thats the way all you fanbois are.  Attack the player if they disagree with you.  Typical. No wonder nobody is left in the game but you fanboi jerkoffs.

• ZbusZbus Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by depot12
    Originally posted by CaptBlackEagle

Yea, it used to be like you described.  Now the HC just sets an AO and then its just like you said everyone floods into the one FRU in town.  Its nothing now like it used to be.  Sure you can do all that stuff you said now but today its meaningless since they got rid of resupply and interdiction and went to the HC structure. 

I also like your last sentence where you dismiss him as someone who couldn't play the game.  Thats the way all you fanbois are.  Attack the player if they disagree with you.  Typical. No wonder nobody is left in the game but you fanboi jerkoffs.

Dont be to hard on him Depot  most of these guys are still wet behind the ears in years played. In most cases the current HC/AO/Supply system is all they know. They dont see how at one time this was a player driven game in which we the players made the fun and used the map in all sorts of out of the box ways. They didnt see the massive support for that system of play and the leaders it spawned due to the open nature of the game at that time.

To be honest most of these guys think we are haters but the reality is we want them and others to experience what we enjoyed in the game. I feel bad for them in a way, they will never see huge ops with 100s of tanks and inf. along with supporting FB defense force,interdiction and cap. They will never enjoy a 2 or 3 week long running battle for a city like twerp. They will never know what its like to drive cross country to make a assault with a squad or the fun we had doing it.

What these guys get is COD play due to instant spawning,pixie dust teleporting of supply, star gate's and nothing beyond the same old frontal assault from FB to town that the current HC/AO system provides.

Yea, I remember the "sea of blue tags".  If only these fanboi's knew what it was like back in the day.  I am with you I loved the game so much I can't believe how far it has fallen.  
  • TontomanTontoman Member Posts: 196

Ahhh, the days of the massive tank columns.  When someone at the front would bone a corner, and the massive pileup resulting behind him.  Or if you made a small mistake and lose half your speed, having the next 20 tanks pass you laughing while you regained top speed (especially that French armor).

Hell the chat on teamspeak with so many was half the fun in these and truck ride trips.  Now those were close squads.  But yeah, not needed with the MSP zerging you have now. Why the minimaps are in so you don't have to have comms. 

Those were awesome times when the game was thriving!  (yeah not in the black but lots of people none the less)

I was on many of those tank missions where we rolled town after town all night.  HUGE battles by paying customers...

Its a shame those times have passed.  The F2P players just aren't into that sort of thing unless they could just spawn their tank at the target and have unlimited ammo.  Heck, who knows, maybe they are working on that.

• antipropaantipropa Member Posts: 21

AGREED!

All of this guys posts are true.  Seen it.  Lived it.  These guys should have folded up YEARS AGO

• antipropaantipropa Member Posts: 21
    Called my friend up last night and he just unsubbed also.  He decided to take the early termination hit because no one was on playing the other night when he got home from work.  He also decided to close his credit card so they cannot charge him again.
  • merc88merc88 Member Posts: 10

When they killed squads with BS, they killed the gagme.  Squads were the social center of the game.  BS caused everyone to be a defacto lone wolf.  I played for 10 years, quit all 3 accounts.  Hven't missed it  Play World of Tanks and others now.

Merc88

$30 for a month subscription, recurring?

Wowzers.

Instead of making this game affordable so more people switch over from free accounts to paying accounts the staff, the 3 that are left, decide to pass the 'lets F the remaining people some more and make them pay for the lack of players in game' and charge wwiiol drones that just cannot leave $30 a month.

Yeah, great move guys.  You must have hit your dang heads at crs hq.  You've all lost your minds it seems.  Thats the best you could do for an idea?  $30 hero package?

Yikes.

On one side you have a free play option.  The other a $30 a month bleed the turnup option.  Neither is going to work.  One has already failed you on the money side though free accounts are juicy noob targets to keep those drone players happy.  But again neither are going to pay the bills.

You should have listened and incorporated a flat $9.99 for this game while it was worth it.  Everyday you ignore it and continue to make terrible directional  changes the value of the game drops.  It's still good for $9.99 but stock is dropping sirs.

Ouch.

$9.99 would be a good value if they were still having content updates and bug fixes but that is way too much for the current state of the game with the same bugs that have gone on for almost 2 years.   The population levels will never return to what they used to be back in the day.  This game sadly in it's current state isn't really even worth it to play for free, as population numbers show.   Thanks to DOC for RUINING everything.   

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    LOL!! Never heard of this game and I can already tell you why the game is dead , WW2 happened 60 years ago.  Some devs come up with the stupidest ideas for MMOs :P
  • SzyporynSzyporyn Member Posts: 122

Damn, that gotta be the dumbest comment ever!

WWII is without a doubt THE most popular setting for FPS games thru the times.

WWII as a MMOG is also a really really great idea, and anyone but these developers would have made millions.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX
    LOL!! Never heard of this game and I can already tell you why the game is dead , WW2 happened 60 years ago.  Some devs come up with the stupidest ideas for MMOs :P

Give it up Szyporyn, yes it's a stupid comment but the irony is that the comment itself may be why the game has declined. We , well I certainly grew up watching the likes of A Bridge Too Far etc. etc. My grandfather was injured at Dunkirk, my father served with the DLI just after the war...

This kind of response reminds me of the kids they interviewed on the centenary of the Titanic where some of them thought it was just a movie, they really didn't comprehend it actually happened...

Maybe the decline is due to the dwindling interest from the up and coming generation that are now putting their money on the table for MMO's...

Can't deny some really poor decisions by CRS over the years but maybe it was inevitable. I was a day 1 subscriber, I bought the game mail order from the US and it arrived about 5 days after the servers went up. I remember Server1, 2, 3 etc. in the first few weeks. I remember being totally lost in my first few steps into the game but totally in awe of what was going on around me. It was my first MMO. I haven't subbed now for about 4/5 years. I've been back on a trial account and on the F2P account and I guess I thought the game would always be there when I was ready to come back or when it reached the potential that I thought it would, or should.

It will be a very sad day if the game goes altogether but maybe, just maybe it will open a gap in the market for a large scale, open world, WW2 MMOFPS to come along.

• argelargel Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by depot12

$9.99 would be a good value if they were still having content updates and bug fixes but that is way too much for the current state of the game with the same bugs that have gone on for almost 2 years.   The population levels will never return to what they used to be back in the day.  This game sadly in it's current state isn't really even worth it to play for free, as population numbers show.   Thanks to DOC for RUINING everything.   

Nah.

Even if Doc did ruin it, he never made decisions on his own did he? In fact when I was subbed this summer I remember him saying that a few decisions were against his wishes, but regardless, he didn't bring certain changes in so that people would leave did he? CRS wanted the game to grow and yeah they've made a bunch of mistakes in hindsight, but making it seem like something other than a mistake is ridiculous. Look at how childish your last line is, it sounds like a characature of a teenage girl!

I unsubbed a few months ago for time reasons (I will be busy until May) but I enjoyed it immensely when I was playing. Before I  resubbed I wrote a great big post about why the game was rubbish, how it could be changed etc... guess what? As soon as I started playing, I felt like a right mug for saying all of that without giving it a chance.

I know you don't want to hear it, but WWIIOL is still a good game even as it is, it just isn't quite as compelling as it once was. I might not play myself but I would encourage people who don't know what the game is about to take a look and judge for themselves, rather than listening to me or you. It's the type of game where if you suspend your disbelief for a while it can still be pretty amazing.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

It's not dead, it's more or less on life support.

I just received an email asking to comeback again.  It needs to just close it's doors and stop coming across as a wonderful gaming experience.

I used to LOVE the game, however I grew tired of the gameplay, and grew tired of the rat antics.

For example:

This is in the "free view" area of the forums and located in the Tesing and Bug Reporting area.  Very few of the reports get a rat response anymore.  (note:  this free view area will no doubt disappear and become part of the elite making of paying $18 a month so get there fast to look over the bugs)

Bedford black out bug (has been reported for almost 2 years. It's a bug where you black out driving 15 mph in a truck and cannot see and sometime crash killing riders and flipping guns).  When a response finally comes it comes as this from the lead dev...

"yeah we know, when we manage to eliminate it, we will probabaly say something about it

since we haven't, then it stands to reason we haven't eliminated it yet"

Mmm mmmmmm....serve me up some more customer service!

This discussion has been closed.