Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Pay Once, Play Forever - TSW Going Buy-to-Play

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Kenze

Originally posted by Rawiz
    Good model for new people to pick it up. Lifers get shafted a bit, but overall I like it.

everyone shouldve seen this coming.. b2p/f2p.. lifers have noone to blame but themselves

As a lifer I don't complain at all because I bought it to suppoert the idea behind this particular game. And now I start getting monthly points and thingies. Not a bad deal in my eyes tbh. Then again I'm used to pay for things I like an don't expect anything for free.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Mouth
    If funcom were still running the game yeah. But when ea get control greed will conquer all
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Awesome news. Totally awesome news. This game needs more players, more new players actually. As it is now, one faction completely dominates the PvP maps, and no one helps "newbs" through the "elite" dungeons in order to reach "nightmare" level, Nothing to do but roleplay or quit (if you're not into roleplaying) when you finish the storyline.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Piiritus

Good model for new people to pick it up. Lifers get shafted a bit, but overall I like it.

everyone shouldve seen this coming.. b2p/f2p.. lifers have noone to blame but themselves

As a lifer I don't complain at all because I bought it to suppoert the idea behind this particular game. And now I start getting monthly points and thingies. Not a bad deal in my eyes tbh. Then again I'm used to pay for things I like an don't expect anything for free.

If Funcom does sell to EA will they have to honor your Life sub, Whats EA's history there ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Hmm, it looks like just buying DLC is better than paying a sub, unless you buy clothing all the time. A sub won't give you a content discount, after all.

Still, while paying a sub looks less attractive after this conversion (or maybe I'm missing something) a B2P TSW is a fantastic deal. I'm happy they didn't go with a crappy F2P model. They never work.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Great news , and its only 30$

BTW , maybe they make some sale to sweeten the B2P announcement ?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by JosephJR
    great news ,game as sub was too much expensive for eu players

It's still 14.99$ / Euro so the bigger cost in here doesn't change.

I don't know if it's a good move or not. Swapping the steady income to a store-dependent model... I guess we'll see in January the DLC prices and the new items on the line. If we can buy those with the bonus points, then it doesn't change much to the subscribers.

Honestly, I hoped for a grandmaster pack sale :)

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    gonna try it probably won't play iot much since my computer is loud little whore

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Time to dust off the game then, I left around transylvania (because of Venezuelan currency exchange laws I'm limited to how much I can spend online and had run out of the allowance for this year), was planning on going back on jaunary when the allowance renewed itself. Good times indeed.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

If Funcom does sell to EA will they have to honor your Life sub, Whats EA's history there ?

Can you cite a legitimate source (and no, "gamersfun" trolling the TSW forums doesn't count as a viable source).

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

This is awesome news!

Nice move Funcom.

I will definitely be going back to this one.

Now, I can say without any reservation that GW2 is no longer the best game for the money.  TSW has taken that spot.  A much better game and a true MMORPG.

As for the lifers, I still think you are getting an excellent deal with all the free stuff arriving per month for you.

Kudos to all!  This is shaping up to be a very good Christmas indeed!

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Very nice move! I think I´ll go buy the game soon and try it out. Always felt boxprice+subscription+cash shop was too much to ask for but B2P+cash shop is fine!
  • Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by grimal

This is awesome news!

Nice move Funcom.

Now, I can say without any reservation that GW2 is no longer the best game for the money.  TSW has taken that spot.  A much better game and a true MMORPG.

As for the lifers, I still think you are getting an excellent deal with all the free stuff arriving per month for you.

i'm curious to know what is a fake mmorpg since you claim TSW is a true one

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220
    Glad I didn't uninstall. Patching now :)
    Originally posted by Tonin109

This is awesome news!

Nice move Funcom.

i'm curious to know what is a fake mmorpg since you claim TSW is a true one

Just look my post history up.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

So buy the box and get issues 1-4 + 5 if you buy before the end of Dec.  After that you $$ for new content.

You don't get a discount on content packs if you sub.

Seems like a good deal, if you can get past the game's short-comings.  Buy the game play it until the new mmos come out.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by fascism
    Originally posted by BlueLantern
    freemium / B2P in less than 6 months. lol @ the lifetime reassurance topics.

LOL Those idiots spent money on something they enjoy

Uh, many of them bought it without playing first, and most bought lifetimes after only a very short playtesting.

I'm glad there's not much rage about it, but the life subs were a cash grab that are now worth almost nothing.  Really, no matter how you swing it, they all got taken for at least 100 bucks worth of unused gametime and benefits.

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by fascism
    Originally posted by BlueLantern
    freemium / B2P in less than 6 months. lol @ the lifetime reassurance topics.

LOL Those idiots spent money on something they enjoy

Uh, many of them bought it without playing first, and most bought lifetimes after only a very short playtesting.

I'm glad there's not much rage about it, but the life subs were a cash grab that are now worth almost nothing.  Really, no matter how you swing it, they all got taken for at least 100 bucks worth of unused gametime and benefits.

In your subjective opinion. In my opinion as a lifetimer I (subjective pronoun) have already got what I see as value for money for the game. I (subjective pronoun) enjoy it immensely, have met and made new friends through it and the fact I'm now getting even more perks than before + the opportunity to see the game grow further as more and more players join, makes me happy.

See, the key point there is the word "subjective". It works for both you and I.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

So it's finally here. About damn time. Will definately pick this game up now. I must say though, it's sad to see some of the TSW fanbois all of a sudden accepting this model. Accepting xp boost items among other things, the usual double standard...

We are starting to see the GW2 effect everywhere now.

Originally posted by Kuppa

So it's finally here. About damn time. Will definately pick this game up now. I must say though, it's sad to see all the TSW fanbois all of a sudden accepting this model. Accepting xp boost items among other things, the usual double standard...

I'm ok with this and so what? Why so bitter? I have at least 10 xp potions I got with lifetime sub and I never used them. Simply no need. As I don't mind DLCs as long as montly points cover the price. But if they start selling viable end game gear in CS I'm out and done with the game. Until that I cannot see what's teh problem.

So it's finally here. About damn time. Will definately pick this game up now. I must say though, it's sad to see all the TSW fanbois all of a sudden accepting this model. Accepting xp boost items among other things, the usual double standard...

I'm ok with this and so what? Why so bitter? I have at least 10 xp potions I got with lifetime sub and I never used them. Simply no need. As I don't mind DLCs as long as montly points cover the price. But if they start selling viable end game gear in CS I'm out and done with the game. Until that I cannot see what's teh problem.

My post was incorrect. I said "all TSW fanbois" when I ment to say "some". I don't know your case and don't have time to look at post histories.

But, we know there were many fanbois posting what a horrible business model was b2p and how horrible the xp boost items are(which btw, expect more things like that to come). Not to mention how an idea of having to pay for DLC(which you will have to if you are not subbed) would be also frowned upon. Now, everything is ok. It's the double standard that I dislike, I'm actually ok with b2p and encouraged it from the start.

• KtaraKtara Member Posts: 37
    I can't afford the sub every month, so this is great news!  I've been away from it for 3 months, and I've missed it. 

My post was incorrect. I said "all TSW fanbois" when I ment to say "some". I don't know your case and don't have time to look at post histories.

But, we know there were many fanbois posting what a horrible business model was b2p and how horrible the xp boost items are(which btw, expect more things like that to come). Not to mention how an idea of having to pay for DLC(which you will have to if you are not subbed) would be also frowned upon. Now, everything is ok. It's the double standard that I dislike, I'm actually ok with b2p and encouraged it from the start.

I prefer P2P MMOs any time but as I really like TSW I don't mind it's new pricing model. Until they start selling P2W and game breaking items like end game gear in CS ofc. XP pots are not one of those and like I said I had already forgotten about them just until today. B2P like GW2 is absolutely fine by me.

So it's finally here. About damn time. Will definately pick this game up now. I must say though, it's sad to see some of the TSW fanbois all of a sudden accepting this model. Accepting xp boost items among other things, the usual double standard...

I think you're going a bit overboard here.  B2P has existed long before GW1 or 2.

I think you're going a bit overboard here.  B2P has existed long before GW1 or 2.

Not in the MMO space. But yes, It's actually what we have been using for gaming since the beggining of gaming. That's why I always thought it was the best model to use since GW1 started using it. The point is that if GW2 hadn't come out TSW would have probably gone F2P instead. And we already started to see other games start to normalize their pvp like in GW1-2.