Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sorry more Funcom stuff: EA is buying Funcom

gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127

Just thought I'd let everyone know that EA put in a bid for Funcom that is running through the BoD as of now.

2.20 NOK per share.  No clue with respect to the reaction of the offer.

No info with respect to what they wish to do with the various IPs if it is accepted.

RexTerra

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    hope not..but nice of funcom to get TSW to b2p before the train wreck of EA apears.
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Can you clarify your sources for this?

I'd like to follow up on this if I can, but I have no clue what a BoD is.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by kevjards
    hope not..but nice of funcom to get TSW to b2p before the train wreck of EA apears.

B2P was essentially offered as a "progressive enterprise decision" by the EA component of the buyout contingent.

Again, my info is a bit 3rd hand...so buyer beware.

(It makes sense though.)

RexTerra

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Wow ! Really EA has a lot of money huh ,never ceases to amaze me how much money they have.

Originally posted by victorbjr

BoD = Board of Directors

Source?  Me.  I have a long history of financial analysis of Funcom.  A quick fact check on my posts shows I knew stuff ahead of time. 

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

HA, too late EA, you cannot ruin a company that already do crap!

Edit: hmm what if the combination of bad ideas acctually result in something so bad, but so big, but a new bad, that actually became something new and interresting? =x

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Games had it then, here comes a god awful war / swtor style cash shop
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Games had it then, here comes a god awful war / swtor style cash shop

TSW earns 30-40% of its revenue from a cash shop already.

Subscription + cash shop has dominated their revenue projections from the beginning.

Yes but the tsw cash shop is fair, you don't need to use it at all.

Unlike the war cash shop

And from what I hear on here about the swtor cash shop.
    I was thinking of playing again part time with the b2p anouncement, but I will give it a miss now "poo fingered midas" is in charge.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

NOOOooooononoooooonoonooooooOOOOOOoNNNNnnnnoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    I was thinking of playing again part time with the b2p anouncement, but I will give it a miss now "poo fingered midas" is in charge.

i wonder what happens when "poo fingered midas" lay his hands in a turd....

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Well, if EA was helpful in making the B2P transition, then why is it all bad?  If not, /shrug.  I can never understand why people don't play a game they like because of some stupid boogyman in a suit.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by gamesrfun
    Originally posted by victorbjr

BoD = Board of Directors

Source?  Me.  I have a long history of financial analysis of Funcom.  A quick fact check on my posts shows I knew stuff ahead of time. 

Heehee. Was actually reading through your posts right after commenting. Also googled BoD and realized it. :D

Thanks for sending this out though. Will see if I can find more info online as well. :D

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by victorbjr Can you clarify your sources for this?   I'd like to follow up on this if I can, but I have no clue what a BoD is.
    BoD = Board of Directors

So what your saying is you have no creditable source that can be cited, And this is just speculation?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

History ortwig

Ea have made a terrible mess of every single mmo they have been Involved in
    History ortwig

Yeah, I know.  I just focus on the game itself, not the company -- it seems to me like EA messes up when they are trying to "fix" things.  All I'm saying is there's not a lot to "fix" with TSW, except perhaps the business model, and if they helped with this decision, well they did a pretty good job.

EDIT: And actually, if EA can help with budget, Funcom may actually get some decent marketing for a change!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Just thought I'd let everyone know that EA put in a bid for Funcom that is running through the BoD as of now.

2.20 NOK per share.  No clue with respect to the reaction of the offer.

No info with respect to what they wish to do with the various IPs if it is accepted.

RexTerra

They want the DreamWorld engine.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Ortwig
    Ea were involved to market the game in the first place. Didn't make a particularly good job of it.

I don't think more money will go into the game with ea involved, more likely they take more money out of the game.

While ea weren't involved with the development of the game, this was also the case with daoc and there was a very noticeable drop in support for daoc after ea bought mythic, less action on hackers, uncontactable csrs, promised improvements getting canned etc..
    Bully
    Dreamworld engine is pretty good (well now with tsw it is, was rubbish with aoc)

But there are better engines out there especially forgelight (planetside 2 / EQ next)
    Ortwig
    Ea were involved to market the game in the first place. Didn't make a particularly good job of it.

I don't think more money will go into the game with ea involved, more likely they take more money out of the game.

While ea weren't involved with the development of the game, this was also the case with daoc and there was a very noticeable drop in support for daoc after ea bought mythic, less action on hackers, uncontactable csrs, promised improvements getting canned etc..

Eh.  I refuse to let it dictate my gaming life.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Well, if EA was helpful in making the B2P transition, then why is it all bad?  If not, /shrug.  I can never understand why people don't play a game they like because of some stupid boogyman in a suit.

It's called "voting with your wallet."

If EA picks up Funcom, I'm cancelling my AoC account.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    History ortwig

Yeah, I know.  I just focus on the game itself, not the company -- it seems to me like EA messes up when they are trying to "fix" things.  All I'm saying is there's not a lot to "fix" with TSW, except perhaps the business model, and if they helped with this decision, well they did a pretty good job.

EDIT: And actually, if EA can help with budget, Funcom may actually get some decent marketing for a change!

So...you are the one that backs the shit that EA makes

This mess in the market is your fault, shameful display, you should be ashamed and commit seppuku

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Bully
    Dreamworld engine is pretty good (well now with tsw it is, was rubbish with aoc)

But there are better engines out there especially forgelight (planetside 2 / EQ next)

Maybe, but fat chance SOE is selling it to EA.

EA has already got Frostbite and they're pretty much using it for everything now, but apparently it doesn't do MMOs well and they already spent money on the Hero engine for SWTOR and we all know how well that turned out.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by dinams
    History ortwig

So...you are the one that backs the shit that EA makes

This mess in the market is your fault, shameful display, you should be ashamed and commit seppuku

Didn't you support EA as well by buying Mass Effect 3?

This discussion has been closed.