Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pay once, play forever ad

2»

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I kind of hope it does go B2P like GW2. I would love that.
  • allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    so at $200 for lifetime, that would be about 13 months (not counting multi-month discounts), so how many of us play a game for 13 months?  Might be a good idea for those that already love the game and know that they are going to play.  
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360

Currently I play GW2 a bunch and love it. I've even bought a few things from their cash shop. If TSW goes with that model, since I've already bought the box, I will play it once more; however, if they're wanting $200 dollars from me I will just continue to play other titles.

Could just be me.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Margrave

The problem is B2P doesn't make any money as shown by the NCsoft qt report. A game with a much smaller sub base like B&S (I saw 285k mentioned in some professional analysis) or Aion will far out perform GW2 over the course of the year.

Funcom needs to make money.  I think a drop the box cost and just charge a sub would be a better way to go for long term health.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

If it goes BTP...i´ll be definetly giving it a try!

Played the beta and didn´t get hooked on it....so that change would be very appreciated^^

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by bcbully

The problem is B2P doesn't make any money as shown by the NCsoft qt report. A game with a much smaller sub base like B&S (I saw 285k mentioned in some professional analysis) or Aion will far out perform GW2 over the course of the year.

Funcom needs to make money.  I think a drop the box cost and just charge a sub would be a better way to go for long term health.

Wow wait what now?! Were are you coming up with this?? Their performance was very good in their report. Talking about how will they perform over the course of a year can't really be talked about until.....a year has passed lol.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Actually the NCSoft 3rd quarter report was already dissected - for ONE MONTH - GW2 MADE 27% of the profit for NCSoft for the WHOLE 3RD QUARTER. B&S made more -29% and that was for 3 months with sub.

Back OT, I think it is a little False advert, but it would be B2P then.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by botrytis

Actually the NCSoft 3rd quarter report was already dissected - for ONE MONTH - GW2 MADE 27% of the profit for NCSoft for the WHOLE 3RD QUARTER. B&S made more -29% and that was for 3 months with sub.

B2P doesn't continually generate revenue is what should have been said.  GW2 had a great first month that included all preorders and initial sales.  I would not expect any other month to come even close to that.  Funcom does not need a one time injection of money burdened with continual costs.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by botrytis

B2P doesn't continually generate revenue is what should have been said.  GW2 had a great first month that included all preorders and initial sales.  I would not expect any other month to come even close to that.  Funcom does not need a one time injection of money burdened with continual costs.

GW2 relies on the CS and expasions for their revenue. That first quarter was definately good sales more than anything, we would have to wait for further reports to see how well the model can do.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Probably to cover there asses, since people will go "I paid for 1 month i get it free forever now!" and try to sue them for it.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Wow wait what now?! Were are you coming up with this?? Their performance was very good in their report. Talking about how will they perform over the course of a year can't really be talked about until.....a year has passed lol.

The haters don't reply on the truth.  Good news is bad and bad news is worse.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

I think it's interesting to speculate about what the advert might mean - since it popped up just as the new ARG got underway, I have no doubt that it's connected.

However, we won't know for sure until more information is released so... /shrug

Personally, I think speculating about the new ARG is much more satisfying than wondering about the business model... I mean, hasn't that horse been ground to glue by now anyway?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

From Massively.com, the Creative Director is starting rumors about getting rid of the game's subscription.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/10/the-secret-worlds-dev-video-blog-begins-end-of-days-chronicle/

That's probably what is means, except they started a little too early on the advertisements.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    FC is obviously poking fun at all the people saying the game is gonna go F2P in the end. The rumor which IMO is the most believeable is that they are gonna open the game up for entirely free from 12/12/12 to 12/21/12. A end of days welcome old and new players event if you will.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Isn't this a no win for FC?  If they go ftp then they risk upsetting thier loyal player base.

If its just a troll.  An inside joke (everyone said were would go ftp).  If people start to really believe it's going ftp and get tricked there could be a backlash.  And of course if later it really does go ftp then FC looks stupid, because for sure people will rub this joke in their face.

Originally posted by Ryowulf
    Isn't this a no win for FC?  If they go ftp then they risk upsetting thier loyal player base.If its just a troll.  An inside joke (everyone said were would go ftp).  If people start to really believe it's going ftp and get tricked there could be a backlash.  And of course if later it really does go ftp then FC looks stupid, because for sure people will rub this joke in their face.

If they remove the subscription, but keep the box, and give existing players some benefits, it's win/win. Existing players no longer need to pay a sub to play the game they like, and new players are more likely to join the game because they don't have to pay a subscription. New players will make the game feel more lively, add more people to groups, etc.

I don't know if the game will make more money that way, but they will add more people.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    It's probably just free to play until the end of 21st of December, but who knows. I guess the only thing we can do is wait for an official announcement.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• DanderXDanderX Member Posts: 15

Simply put: Funcom are jokers.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Hope they introduce f2p for the first zone on Solomon Island or something with access to Polaris dungeon. If people don't like TSW by the end of going though that zone they probably never will. On the other hand many can at least check the game out by themselves and not rely on biased opinions on both sides.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

games is going B2P w/ sub and cash shop DLC options
    LINK

i guess some of us were right.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Originally posted by Kenze
    games is going B2P w/ sub and cash shop DLC options
    LINKi guess some of us were right.

There is a lot more content available without a subscription compared to SWToR. The game is essentially B2P with a cash shop. I think this is actually a better option than going with a full on F2P where you don't pay for the box. They'll still derive income from all new players, and there's incentive to stick around in the game because it doesn't cost you anything to play.

I think they should have gone B2P sooner, but not bad.

• MrJones77MrJones77 Member Posts: 17
    I think I am going to jump into this game now. Now I can play TSW and GW2 guilt free.