Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Players' Choice Awards

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by LlexX

Im quiet supprised that EveOnline is missing from the list.

Also GW2 is just getting too much attention, which it shouldn't deserve.

This year was again a year of themeparks... sadly, hope that changes for the next year.

Eve is not a new game - hence it should not be on the list.

Just becaue you don't like GW2 does not mean it shouldn't get this attention. In fact, I feel it is not getting enough attention now!

Agreed - EVE has won so many times that it's only right that it bows out this year to make room for fresh newcomers like World of Warcraft.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Malcanis

This year was again a year of themeparks... sadly, hope that changes for the next year.

Just becaue you don't like GW2 does not mean it shouldn't get this attention. In fact, I feel it is not getting enough attention now!

Agreed - EVE has won so many times that it's only right that it bows out this year to make room for fresh newcomers like World of Warcraft.

LOL

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by OuterCrow
    Lol @ GW2 being in Most Innovative. Is there a Most Derivative category? What a joke.

TSW is in second place so far... that's a pretty bad joke too.

• PaigeMoonPaigeMoon Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Go Pirate101!! I adore this game and their sister game Wizard101 Thank you so much for nominating them.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The actual most innovative on that list is last - wakfu.

Sandbox
    Trippy setting
    Turn based homm style combat
    Money crafting
    Highly original classes
    French cartoon tie in
  • haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by Malcanis

good one Malcanis :-) 

I don't think f2p is why gw2 is ahead of tsw. Yeah they have similarities like the combat,but gw2 covers more bases, both games are good for leveling pve that isn't your typical wow type hub questing, tsw has the dungeons more than covered, but its poor on pvp and crafting. Gw2 is more of an alrounder its pretty good at everything, even having fairly good crafting for a themepark, where as a game like say tsw beats it a pve possibly, and a game like planetside beats it at pvp, gw2 has an alrounder package. Also more people tried it, people can't really vote on games they didn't play, hence the truly innovative wakfu in last place for innovations.
    Rimmer
    I actually think tsw beats gw2 on graphics
    But its an inferior product for crafters, explorers and especially pvpers to gw2.

I think these awards should have more categories though.
    Best leveling experience
    Best pvp
    Best dungeons
    Bet crafting etc..

Then we would see more variety. No one mmo wins for all playstyles.
  • JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Rimmer
    I actually think tsw beats gw2 on graphics
    But its an inferior product for crafters, explorers and especially pvpers to gw2.

I think these awards should have more categories though.
    Best leveling experience
    Best pvp
    Best dungeons
    Bet crafting etc..

Then we would see more variety. No one mmo wins for all playstyles.

That is actually be a great idea! DO IT MMORPG.com!

• LavecLavec Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    I've stated in many a post that GW2 is not that innovative. I guess im just gonna put it down to their Fanbase wanting it to win as much as possible instead of having it actually be judged on its innovation.

I did hesitate but in the end I voted for GW2 because the questing/event system had the most profound effect on me. Sure other games were innovative (arguably so anyway) but did they have the same impact?

• TalairinaTalairina Member Posts: 11

Where is Lord of the Rings Online? You have World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria and Rift: Storm Legion yet no Lord of the Rings Online? Both Rift and WoW had expansion's this year but as did LotRO. I've been a user here for years and I really do find this website has gone down hill more and more with lack of decent list's for things like this.

You also have game's up there 'buying' votes for in-game items, titles and so on. You can't have a fair and accurate representative of the MMO community at large if you allow company's to that. Before you say you can't stop them advertising and so on that's very true, you can't. What you can do is remove them from the voting for doing that. Giving other game's a fair chance for votes. Simply don't allow them in to the vote's. It's their loss in the end, mean's one less chance for a shiny badge to plaster all over their website's Awards page (Or lack their off).

Also SW:TOR as GOTY? Really?! Which person actually thought that was truly worth been mentioned for GOTY? It was a massive failure post launch. Major issues with the game still a year after launch and not only that but one of the worst, and most restrictive implementations of a Free to Play model I've ever seen.

Also World of Tanks with Smite and LoL? Is it not about time MOBA's had their own group? Their's a fair few out there now and World of Tank's certainly shouldn't be put among them.

Hey I'm mad leave me the hell alone!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    I'm actually amaized Star Citizen is so high and Pandaria has 0!

Star Citizen looks like it provides an experience that's been missing for too long. Lol also at the 

Originally posted by Fearnum:

haha people are even bitching about a poll. Love this site.

Best seems to be GW2: At least it delivered on what it promised unlike most mmorpgs.

Most anticipated: Star Citizen, The Repopulation and Pathfinder Online.

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Funny.... ArcheAge is by far the most anticipated in my list. All the other games are crap (IMO)

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201

I really do not understand how any game that was released in the last month is in the GOTY.

I would love to read how these choices were made, not just in GOTY but all rewards. It does not seem they are from the votes on the main page here or the other stats this site offers, and certainly did not take account of other times of the year this site stats suggest.( Top voted games (released/dev) or Most Popular games)

I would also love to read why ppl have chosen why they think their games are the most inovated or deserve to win their rewards.  I understand this is a personal choice but why do you pick some of them? Lots of bashing of others but no real arguments why they are wrong.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by bluefunk
    This poll is rigged.  Pirates 101 is offering in game items if you vote.

Can you link to some evidence of this?

• ThorgrimmThorgrimm Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 274

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  There is no misinformation in my earlier post; I reread it to verify that my enthusiasm did not misguide me.  If you cannot find a legitimate point to argue, vague statements like "misinformation" are comments of desperation.  If I want to create a toon that reminds me of an action hero, or recreate said storyline from one of their movies in the Albion Theater, I CAN.  If I want to create Po from Kung Fu Panda or an Elf/Sylvari, I know where to go...  The movies that I referenced are obvious inspirations of TSW.  I forgot to mention Edgar Allan Poe as another Inspiration.  If you like Horror or Mystery, try TSW!  If you like fantasy, you have many choices on the list to satisfy you.  They are all good games.

Someone earlier than my post mentioned nothing good to say about TSW.  Since I play it almost daily, I had to mentioned the things that I liked about TSW.  Again I play both TSW and GW2. 

GW2 is a fun game.  I did not see it as innovative.  It was a #2 in a series...   Actually #5, but who is counting right? GW Prophecies, GW Factions, GW Nightfall, the expansion Eye of the North, and finally GW2, which is re-engineered with a new story set well in the future.  A ton of people in my guild play GW2 on a daily basis and prefer it over TSW.  I am entitled to my preference. We have monthly fees to pay for development.  GW made you pay for all of the above remakes and expansion.  Again, I liked every one of the GW versions above. They were fun and F2P past the initial cost.

GW2 has a huge following, primarily because it is F2P.  If you read TSW's Facebook page, the primary complaints come from folks who want TSW to be F2P.  Folks do not want to pay for their games anymore.  In talking to folks in my guild who played TSW and left to play GW2, their resounding answer was that they did not want to pay a monthly fee and GW2 was free.  In many cases, my guildies said they would go back to TSW if it were F2P.  Aside from costs, the other answer I get for people playing GW2 is WvWvW, and that ends up being the main reason I go back to GW2, to help my friends in PvP.  I do like the pop-up missions/area events, but they are predictable and you can follow them arond the map with the rest of the zerg. This is not much different than the go here and kill X kind of missions.  GW2 has a good story, and when I need my fantasy-fix, I go to GW2.

In comparing graphics, I choose TSW.

In comparing music, I choose TSW.

In comparing storyline, I choose TSW.

In choosing something fresh, I choose TSW.  TSW does not have playable elves, dwarves, or orcs; GW2 does not have this by name, but we have Sylvari, Asura, and Narn/Charr, essentially re-skinned/renamed versions of the same.  I have read comments from GW2's own players that it is a better-looking FREE WoW clone. I have read comments about Boredom from GW2's playerbase.  The numbers will never fully leave GW2 because it is FREE, like all of its predecessors.  Regardless, GW2 is a fun game and has a lot of playability.  I go back and play it regularly.

I chose a game that is NOT set in a Fantasy setting.  TSW is positioned in a Modern setting and no armor is a factor in how you look.  There is no race for THE uber item or THE uber armor.  Your appearance is up to you, no matter what level or experience you are.  If you prefer, you can look exactly as you did at start when you hit maximum skills and have spent all of your available points (SP & AP).  The non-Fantasy setting leaves a ton of directions to go in, as we have the entire modern Earth to explore, not at the moment, but it can be done.  Our zones are very large now, and there are others that have to be discovered. 

Our franchise "officially" started in July 2012, earlier for those that were involved in our Beta.  The game was fairly polished at release.  The out-of-game involved in our ARGs has been widely acclaimed.  There is a NEW TSW ARG going on Now.   12.12.12 is our Issue #5 and the start of our Winter Holiday Event, that actually has nothing to do with Christmas or Winter.  We are celebrating the "End of the World"!  Pay attention to the New TSW announcements; we are either going F2P or getting an extended 2-3 week Trial.  I VOTE for the Trial, but new folks will get a longer experience to try out TSW, regardless.

Our Metacritic scores were deflated because many of our reviews were written while the game was in Beta by people that were obviously fans of "other games".  The player review scores of TSW are MUCH higher than Metacritic, as a result.  Our fanbase has yet to grow.  Give TSW 10 years like Guild Wars or Warcraft, and who knows how successful we will be?

WoW has been re-imagined/expanded upon since its release in 2004 on the 10th anniversary of Warcraft; WoW is the fourth game released in the Warcraft universe since 1994.  GW has been around since 2005.  Both have a huge fan following.  Face it, fans are going to vote for their fave, and all of the games above are calling in their fans to vote in this contest.  I am not so worried about new accounts, as each games Facebook is obviously calling out their fanbase to vote, which is why MMORPG does votes like this... TO bring in new readers.  If anyone is cheating, MMORPG will catch them... eventually.

If there is one universal complaint from TSW players, it is lack of advertising/marketing.  In corresponding with folks from their marketing department, the cost of everything went way up after Age of Conan.  They invested a ton in promoting the game; it just cost way more for what they did. I understand this.  Some franchises have deep pockets from many years of successful re-envisioning.  TSW still has to prove itself which it IS doing.  I like the Underdog.  Face it, there are a lot of people that simply hate Funcom and anything they make.  TSW is succeeding in spite of this, because the story is simply top-notch...  Once new players get a taste of this rare find (nitch game), I have a serious feeling this game will skyrocket up the charts...

Lastly, MMORPG reviewers and writers... Thank you for your articles about TSW.  I am sorry that you have not been able to play it much for whatever reason.  Send me a MMORPG message, and I will help you out once you get in-game.  Victor, get your butt to Mars... (err, Kingsmouth)  MJ from Massively has gotten in-game, and she is having a helluva time.  Going to fight demons in the Hell Dimensions probably helped! 

• gojusuzigojusuzi Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

TSW would have (maybe) gotten my vote if it wasn't a P2P+CS game.

*cough* http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/subscription_no_longer_required *cough*

• gojusuzigojusuzi Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by Kenze

..and maybe you guys should stop trying to convince everyone that TSW reinvented the wheel and cured cancer. cast your vote but stop preaching

No one is preaching here although I see quite many known GW2 fanbois spitting poison ... yet again sadly. Sorry but I just cannot understand why that prticular MMO makes people so angry towards different opinions and likes.

by the third post a TSW fan was "groaning" at GW2 being ahead, and generally showing disappointment that the players get to choose. By post 14 there was a brand new account slamming GW2 and praising TSW

If you're going to go on about how terrible a fanbase is, take a look at your own first.  By far, the worst community I've ever seen for having people that attack other games constantly.

TSW fans are going to be inclined to be biased against GW2 fans, just because of how many GW2 folk made TSW trial accounts to troll and abuse players, how many bot accounts came to spam us about GW2, and the horrific GW2-fan presence on the TSW fora.  Not every fan of GW2 is like this, but enough effort was put in by fans and the company to harass and abuse TSW fans in the early days that we find it understandably hard to have any respect for the game, its producers, or its fans.  It's seeing our bully win a contest, and regardless of whether or not he deserves it, it still stings to see.

• ThorgrimmThorgrimm Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 274

THE SECRET WORLD just changed billing model. It is B2P.  Monthly fees and GM Pack are still an option, but, ONCE YOU BUY THE GAME, you get to play it FREE for LIFE...

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=1474106#post1474106

Let's see how the votes in this contest change, once everyone gets to play it.  SHOP Around.. The price on the DVD edition varies by store.  Online Digital Downloads also vary by your source.  See you all in-game...

• MatryoshkaMatryoshka Member UncommonPosts: 98
    There is no Blade and Soul for most anticipated, so I didn't vote on that one. :(
    Lol at all this gw2 vs tsw arguments. Just vote for what you thought was best mmo like I did (didn't vote for either of them BTW)
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    WTH is pirate101?
    I assume its sequel to wizard 101?
  • LokkizLokkiz Member Posts: 2
    ESO most anticipated? Really?? Every time I hear news on it I fall asleep out of boredom. Besides, nothing that makes the ES series special translates well (or at all) to an MMO.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Something stinks 10 kilometers against the wind if Pirate 101 is even in the category of "most innovative".