Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World Subscription Changes-B2P

KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

LINK
looks like B2P to me
with purchasable DLC

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
—Lao-Tze

Comments

• DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82
    It's B2P not F2P, as you still need to purchase the game, but will no longer have to pay a monthly fee for it.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    If it is...hooray, I guess.
  • korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616
    Nice!
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    As a lifetimer I like this. I'll be getting my thingies monthly and b2p brings more people into the game. 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    A gw2 type model would be a good move.

Just don't copy swtor f2p lol
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Took too long IMO

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Where does this leave the folks who bought " Life-Time " subscriptions ? Up the creek and no paddle would be my guess.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

They have come at this from the wrong end IMO.

If their aim was remove some percieved barrier to entry (ie the cost to start up in the game) then why keep the box price?

Surely it would make a lot more sense to drop the client cost, give two weeks of free trial unlimited play access, and then ask the player to pay a competitive sub from there on in?

Subs over cash shops any day, especially with the backlash we are starting to see amongst consumers regarding the MT model.

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Where does this leave the folks who bought " Life-Time " subscriptions ? Up the creek and no paddle would be my guess.

I'm a lifetimer and seems I'll be getting points and thingies each month. So far I could play but that was it. Moar stuff means moar fun for me personally image

This is probably one of the best no sub models I have ever seen

No sub players do not get shafted...pretty much at all

Subbed members get decent benefits (discount in MT store, and $10 worth of points to spend, plus XP gain item with a CD)

Lifetime members get the same benefits as subbed and more

The inital box price will keep the toxic crowd out, gold spammers, troll migrators ect.

I am actually impressed

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Good move. B2P is a much better option than F2P. Too bad SWTOR didn't go that route. But this game still isn't worth the $30 it currently goes for based on what I saw in beta.  When it hits the $10 bargain bin, then maybe I'll try.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I might actually try this game now.

I would've before, but just don't have the free time to justify a subscription MMO these days...

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

just remember this is B2P for CURRENT content. future content will require cash shop purchase of DLC or a Sub to play

—Lao-Tze

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Actually you aren't they took you into consideration

So basically anyone still subbed gets funcom points every month, and a discount on most everything in the store ...well you do as well, every month you are going to get points to spend in the store, and your discount is 10% more

Those points can be used on the content packs down the road, and in fact the packs will cost less than you are given, so you will have extra to spend on other stuff in the store.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Good move. B2P is a much better option than F2P. Too bad SWTOR didn't go that route. But this game still isn't worth the $30 it currently goes for based on what I saw in beta.  When it hits the $10 bargain bin, then maybe I'll try.

Huh!.you are joking right? not worth it..$30 and you dont think thats cheap enough..well i guess there is no pleasing some people.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    See its a decent pve game I might play this for pve and planetside for pvp. Before if you liked both you were kinda stuck with gw2.
  • theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102

Starting from now cause i having seen any dates?

Great move. I would personaly remove cooldown on xp booster for subscribers.

Originally posted by theoneandonly

Starting from now cause i having seen any dates?

Great move. I would personaly remove cooldown on xp booster for subscribers.

I'm not sure but I think issue number 5 goes live next week. Maybe that's the date of new payment model as well.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310
    I will finally be buying this game then. :)

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I was never a fan of the AoC model so I hope it is not the same.  I would rather pay here and there even if it is $10 - $15 a month for the things I specifically want then be hamstrung at the end and forced to sub.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Kenze

just remember this is B2P for CURRENT content. future content will require cash shop purchase of DLC or a Sub to play

Where did you get this information?

Today we got update 5 - first part, next week update 5 part two with more missions and content -- free of charge.

Sure, we might need to pay for big expansion, but that's not really surprising.

REALITY CHECK

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Took too long IMO

No it hasn't , B2P will do TSW nothing but good. 

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Here's the FAQ on what it means to new folks, current subs and lifetimers:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=1474106

Overall, the changes look really good and will bring in some new folks.  As a subscriber, I'm happy there's still an option to continue to support the game regularly, plus get shop points and discounts as well as automatic updates.  Lifetimers get the same and a better discount in the shop.

Have to say, it's a pretty nice model.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by Kenze just remember this is B2P for CURRENT content. future content will require cash shop purchase of DLC or a Sub to play
    Where did you get this information?

Today we got update 5 - first part, next week update 5 part two with more missions and content -- free of charge.

Sure, we might need to pay for big expansion, but that's not really surprising.

What about future content updates?

Periodically we will release packs of DLC (Downloadable Content). The main content in these packs will be a story leading to unique rewards/items through missions. These packs are fully optional and can be purchased for the Bonus Points that are included in the optional Membership, as well as with the points offered with Grand Master Lifetime service. Players without a Membership or a Grand Master Service can of course as well purchase new DLC content in the Item Store.

---------------------
    Free content from now on will consist of bug fixes and enhancements to the core game. you can bet you last FC point that the majority of actual playable content will need to be purchased as DLC packs. Watch and see

Nusquam
    Game Director said
    I think I need to define DLC a little bit here to try and give people a little more understanding of what it means.

DLC might be a "Mission pack" with 5 new missions. Pricing has not been set on anything but it might be $5, for example.
    So a Lifetimer gets that plus $5 to spend in the shop on whatever they like (at a 20% discount).

I would encourage people to think of it as more like Borderlands 2 in execution, than Guild Wars 2. We will probably never offer some massive expansion, but we will add regular updates over a year of which some additional pieces might have a cost.

—Lao-Tze

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Here's the FAQ on what it means to new folks, current subs and lifetimers:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=1474106

Overall, the changes look really good and will bring in some new folks.  As a subscriber, I'm happy there's still an option to continue to support the game regularly, plus get shop points and discounts as well as automatic updates.  Lifetimers get the same and a better discount in the shop.

Have to say, it's a pretty nice model.

I agres, it's a nice model, especially coming from Funcom who are usually pretty greedy. I bought the game and now i can log in and play and if i want to pay a small sub i can.

Nice one.image