Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Players' Choice Awards

Comments

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

That is indeed common, and something even GW2 does though perhaps not with this award. I've seen them do it with some of the gaming magazine ones though. Is it wrong? Depends on how you look at it. There's nothing inherently wrong with increasing the awareness of your fans that a contest involving your game is going on. On the other hand, it can potentially skew the results based purely on a bunch of new accounts being made to spam the poll versus the actual community the poll is aimed at.

*shrug* in the end, does any of it really mean a damn? Is who wins going to make your game of choice a better one, even if it was the one that won? Nawp.

I see your point....as I said..i don´t see a problem with Devs encouraging their player base to vote (for free)....

.....but C´mon Pirate 101 on second position for GOTY??

better than The Secret World? Better than Mist of Pandaria?? better than RIFT:Storm Legion???

NO....way ! :D

Looks like a bad Joke to me :P

• AelyrraAelyrra Member UncommonPosts: 1
    It really isnt very innovative... but you know the rabid fanbase doesnt see this. Played both TSW and GW2 and was terribly disappointed with GW2 mostly because I played TSW first and saw how great an mmo can be. 
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Really small list considering like 500 mmorpgs came out this year lol. Seems like advertisement to me. Cause some of these games I have NEVER heard of.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hey guys,

We expect companies to spread the word about these awards. We can't stop that, and it's kind of the point to get players to pick. 

But we did just remove Darkfall from Most Innovative since it's not launching this year.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Pirates 101 is climbing the charts, must be a great game.
  • BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287
    Good luck to all of them.
  • ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87

There only needed to be a slightly good game to come out this year to take GW2's gold as GotY.

2012 was the pit, 2013 you can do better go!

• NaxriusNaxrius Member Posts: 62

Really? LoL over Dota 2? Also Pirate 101 2nd place for GOTY?

Rigged awards are rigged.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Aelyrra
    It really isnt very innovative... but you know the rabid fanbase doesnt see this. Played both TSW and GW2 and was terribly disappointed with GW2 mostly because I played TSW first and saw how great an mmo can be. 

Yeah let's send a message to Funcom that they're doing the right thing. Last time I heard, P2P players hate the idea of having to purchase anything in-game and prefer to just pay a subscription with access to everything. I gotta give props to TSW to be able to hold a decent number of players willing to subscribe AND still possibly buy vanity stuff on their shop. Let's make  this kind of business model flourish.

TSW would have (maybe) gotten my vote if it wasn't a P2P+CS game.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Eh shrugging off other catagories... I seriously hope GW2 doesn't get false credit for being innovating... specially when theres games like Secret world that has gone above and beyond what GW2 has. Even then, Firefall has done more in terms of innovating and changing the way things work, kind of sad that its got so low, granted it isn't completely refined yet either.
  • livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    Nevermind
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    I know it was a 2012 release, but should TERA really be up there at the expense of more popular games like LOTRO and EQ2 (both of which did release 2012 expansions)
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

A lot of the poll choices are.... downright confusing.

I assume we're subtly trying to bias the results towards our bigger advertisers?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• logan23logan23 Member Posts: 1

On the voting page in Chrome, you have adds that block people from voting for the first category.

Can i disable those drop down adds so i can vote?

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71

Did I miss something why is Pirate101 getting so many votes?

Edit: Why is pirate101 even in any of the categories?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Terea with 2.4 and swtor with 5.4 wow That shows how unpopular those were. 
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Hey guys,

We expect companies to spread the word about these awards. We can't stop that, and it's kind of the point to get players to pick. 

How did Pirate101 made it to the GOTY & Innovative nominations stills a mistery to me.....

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Game of the Year and most innovative: GW2 hands down and by a long shot.  First truely innovative and original MMO with lasting appeal since 2004 IMO.

Most Anticipated: Toss up between Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls Online but I went with NW because of the Foundry system and its hopeful presence in creating lasting appeal.  I am really digging the Freeform class based system of ESO too though.

Rising star: DayZ but only if the stand alone can be all it says it can be.  Entry of the Mod is what holds it back from more play time for me.

Best Hybrid:  Who cares, I blindly picked 1 just t ovote but I am a purist at heart and none of those titles will ever grace my illustrious PC.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Omerta23Omerta23 Member Posts: 1

How any of the games on the rising star list are even close to Dayz baffles the living shit out of me lol.. Every single one of those games are total garbage with the exception of Dayz and Warz..

Warz blows hard compared to Dayz especially with the lying devs that promise content and never deliver but seriously... None are even remotely close to as good as Dayz..

I could complain about the other dumb things as well, such as Pirates101 should not be on any list at all and that The Secret World was absolutely terrible but i'll stop there.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Hey guys,

How did Pirate101 made it to the GOTY & Innovative nominations stills a mistery to me.....

Yea. Exactly WTF is going on with that, MMORPG.com? Presumably, you guys nominated the games, so the inclusion of Pirate101 is pretty damn suspect since I don't recall hearing anyone talk about it... ever.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Out of curiosity, and maybe it's been answered, but I wonder how D3 didn't make it to the hybrid list. I know there is a vocal set of folks who are mad about it; but it is an extremely popular game with a lot of folks playing it.

I mean, if an expansion can = game of the year, you'd think there'd be a spot for D3 even if no one voted for it.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

I hardly think TSW innovative... but to each his own. My vote is to GW2 for GOTY and innovation.

Esit: And I think Pirate 101 is a troll.

• ThorgrimmThorgrimm Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 274

Would GW2 be as popular, if it had a $15 a month subscription? Everyone would call it a WoW clone if it did.  Mind you... I do like GW2.  I own it, but, given the choice, I want to develop my avatar in TSW more than I care to in GW2.

How much would the population of TSW grow (explode) if it went F2P?

The population of TSW continues to grow after five months, even with a monthly fee...  The active playbase does not want F2P, and our TSW Community actually communicates and helps each other, regardless of guilds or factions.  TSW continues to grow with minimal marketing and advertising; if we had the budget for advertising that ArenaNet has to spend on TV Commercials, TSW would have even more subscribers.

TSW is set in a modern world where you can wear any outfit you so desire, making you feel unique and allow you to express yourself as you would desire in the real world.  You can change clothes on a whim, and based upon the weather.  Weather will affect your avatar in some zones depending upon what you are wearing.  We are not in the "rat race" for the latest uber armor, so that everyone has the max stats and looks the same.

TSW has PvP (needs more), but the game was built around the story and PvE requiring players to think for the more challenging investigative missions.  Other games rely on PvP for endgame; PvP is "only" icing for endgame in TSW.  More PvP content is incoming from our dedicated PvP dev team.

The storyline is AWESOME in TSW, and has a lot of room to grow from mythology, conspiracy theories, and urban legends... The storyline is IMMERSIVE, as the devs involved have a HISTORY of great stories across multiple games.

Oh, nobody else mentioned that in TSW "NEW CONTENT IS RELEASED EVERY MONTH" for FREE.  How much did each expansion cost in in GW1 and WoW and Rift and <insert game here>?

We have DX11, great graphics, effects, and shadowing, and outstanding music and sound effects.  No arguments there...

We have a dedicated theater (Albion) for roleplayers and more social content coming soon.

If you like X-Files, TSW is for you. 

If you like Supernatural, TSW is for you. 

If you like Stephen King, TSW is for you.

If you like H.P. Lovecraft, TSW is for you.

If you like The DiVinci Code/Angels & Demons, TSW is for you.

If you like The Walking Dead, TSW is for you.

If you like the Blade series, TSW is for you.

If you like Underworld, TSW is for you.

If you like James Bond, TSW is for you.

If you like the Expendables, TSW is for you.

If you like Indiana Jones, TSW is for you.

If you like Navy SEALS, TSW is for you.

If you like Men in Black, TSW is for you.

If you like Le Femme Nikita, TSW is for you.

If you like Fringe, TSW is for you.

If you like Doctor Who, TSW is for you.

If you want to kick a$$ like Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Yun-Fat Chow, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Vin Diesel, David Caradine, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Steve Austin, Dwayne Johnson, or Randy Couture, TSW is for you.

If you want to kick a$$ like Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton, Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang, Jessica Alba, Summer Glau, Jennifer Garner, Lucy Liu, Angelina Jolie, Uma Therman, Kate Beckinsale, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Milla Jovovich, Keira Knightley, Katee Sackhoff, Ali Larter, Lucy Lawless, Devon Aoki, or Rhona Mitra, TSW is for you.

• lastdaysgunslastdaysguns Member Posts: 2

If pirate101 wins anything i will be very sore about it. Ive played it and the game is just terrible.

Wizard101 on the other hand is a great game very fun and me an my family just love it.

Take care and safe journeys my friends.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

TERA wins GOTY for me by default since it's the only MMO i'm still playing sadly...

Most innovative I'd like to see Archeage there because nothing up there is all that innovative.

I voted Archeage for most anticipated and Rising Star as well.