Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what's the community like

SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Decided to give the trial a go and after patching the client initially and being taken the downloading bit, the first thing that was obvious was at the bottom of the client window, was an advert for a new pet called "leet pwnz joo" or something along those lines.. needless to say, as an adult, this makes me want to already stop the patch and give this game an immediate pass. 

For those who play, please tell me this is just an "epic fail" by funcom and not an indication what so ever of what my experience ingame will be like. Shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but nothing in gaming pisses me off more than morons who use "leet pwns joo" type of speaking and nothing makes me facepalm more than a developer who caters and encourages that. 

*edit*

Nvm it's for Anarchy Online but was just showing up on the TSW client downloader.

Comments

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Originally posted by Senden
    Decided to give the trial a go and after patching the client initially and being taken the downloading bit, the first thing that was obvious was at the bottom of the client window, was an advert for a new pet called "leet pwnz joo" or something along those lines.. needless to say, as an adult, this makes me want to already stop the patch and give this game an immediate pass. For those who play, please tell me this is just an "epic fail" by funcom and not an indication what so ever of what my experience ingame will be like. Shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but nothing in gaming pisses me off more than morons who use "leet pwns joo" type of speaking and nothing makes me facepalm more than a developer who caters and encourages that. 

the leet is a Anarchy Online mascot type creature that they made a TSW version vanity pet of. Although TSW does have its share of the l33t speaking pwners too

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Kenze

Originally posted by Senden
    Decided to give the trial a go and after patching the client initially and being taken the downloading bit, the first thing that was obvious was at the bottom of the client window, was an advert for a new pet called "leet pwnz joo" or something along those lines.. needless to say, as an adult, this makes me want to already stop the patch and give this game an immediate pass. 

For those who play, please tell me this is just an "epic fail" by funcom and not an indication what so ever of what my experience ingame will be like. Shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but nothing in gaming pisses me off more than morons who use "leet pwns joo" type of speaking and nothing makes me facepalm more than a developer who caters and encourages that. 

the leet is a Anarchy Online mascot type creature that they made a TSW version vanity pet of. Although TSW does have its share of the l33t speaking pwners too

Big difference between adding ingame items that caters to them and a few bad apples in the community. Most games have those l33t speaking tards, I've spent enough time on WoW to at least put up with a few and make use of my ignore function.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

[mod edit] image

For me they delivered. Hope the world was bigger with bit more endgame content though but FC is adding things on quite a regular basis. Playing since headstart and still like the game. Also, one of the few MMOs that actually has GMs who respond and help if someone needs.

To OP: TSW community is good and I've played MMOs over 10 years and seen quite a few communities. Of course there are some elitist wankers like everuý MMO has but seen only a couple so far. I'm pugging a lot for nightmare runs and 99% of players I've played with are really nice and easy going.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Pretty much everyone I have grouped with or encountered in game have been really nice and easy going. But I am not a hardcore player, usually play a few days a week at most.

I have seen the spam about needing certain stats to be able to run NM modes. Reminds me of my WoW days years ago with that same crap being used, needing way overkill stats just so the instance is no challenge to the group.

I guess this game is like any other, about an equal amount of asshats and good people. Find yourself a good guild with like minded folks and you wont have to worry about the elitist attitudes regardless.

The game is well worth buying and playing. It is my favorite MMO at the moment. The community overall is decent from my experience. I just stay away from the elitist and dont have any problems.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Why not take a look through the forums and see for yourself?  Check out the Newcomers forum especially:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Everyone's experience is different, but I've met some great people in game.

P.S. As of now, you will never be prompted in game for the cash shop, although it's on a menu if wish to go there.  It's definitely not "in your face" with the exception of the loader.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

In my opinion, I think the community, as a whole, were nice to play with.

I think certain games attract certain people. You'll see what I mean if you start playing.

Join a cabal though. The middle zones are lonely as per last month. Top-heavy population atm.

Strangers have always ran by and helped me. In return, I do the same.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • DanderXDanderX Member Posts: 15

One word: Retards.

Extremely simple-minded players there. Slow, self-entitled and the ones that already have some better gear by grinding dungeons think they're some "pro-playaz". :D

It's pathetic but TSW is great as a single-player game. Just play the story and quests and delete it in a month.

Funcom are trying to sell single-player games as MMOs now. Pure arrogance.

• DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by eyelolled

Everything that I've experienced with TSW and it's community has been bad.  I have never witnessed a worse community in any mmo, and typically I would expect the smaller titles to have a more respectful attitude.  I don't know what is the contributing factor, but my general feel for the TSW community has been that they are vengeful, intolerant and outwardly bias.  That doesn't mean that each TSW player is like that, just the ones that I've dealt with. 

Because of it's community, I won't have anything else to do with the game.  I normally try to refrain from posting negatively about  games, but you asked and you can't get an accurate perception unless you see both sides of the story.

Originally posted by DanderX

Extremely simple-minded players there. Slow, self-entitled and the ones that already have some better gear by grinding dungeons think they're some "pro-playaz". :D

It's pathetic but TSW is great as a single-player game. Just play the story and quests and delete it in a month.

While I don't argue that there are bad apples, I don't see at all how you could of had an experience bad enough that the perception is this. I have met WAY more decent people than other MMO's, a few crappy people but some is to be expected. Did you happen to join a Cabal, or just go off a bad person you partied with? just wondering

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Before I quit and the #1 reason why I quit was you couldnt get groups to do Nightmare mode dungeons unless you were already sporting Purple QL 10.1 gear which can only be aquired through running nightmares or very boring grindy PvP in Fusang.  The community when I quit was very elitist and no one helped anyone from my experience.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

The Secret World community are very nice if you are nice.

If you go around lying about the game and calling people retards - well you reap what you sew. Simple as that.

Edit: Of course there are SOME bad eggs - but thats par for course in any massively multiplayer game. The ratio is skewed on the plus side in all my in game encounters.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Half good - rp types, talkative types
    Half bad - the ex EQ / ex wow hardcore raider types that left it because "wow gives welfare epix to scrubs"
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Before I quit and the #1 reason why I quit was you couldnt get groups to do Nightmare mode dungeons unless you were already sporting Purple QL 10.1 gear which can only be aquired through running nightmares or very boring grindy PvP in Fusang.  The community when I quit was very elitist and no one helped anyone from my experience.

You must not have been looking very hard:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62768

Originally posted by DanderX

Sorry, but my experience couldn't be more different.  I dunno, but if you don't want to hang around the grinders, why aren't you trying to find people that don't grind?  Check out the forums or join a casual cabal -- there's plenty of people that don't play that way.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

On topic. Community is mostly great with lots of RPers and talkative people. If you ask nicely you will get more info than you need. Of course there are some elitist jerks too, but you can easily avoid them if you pay attention. Get a nice cabal and have fun.

Hodor!

Originally posted by gwei1984
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

On topic. Community is mostly great with lots of RPers and talkative people. If you ask nicely you will get more info than you need. Of course there are some elitist jerks too, but you can easily avoid them if you pay attention. Get a nice cabal and have fun.

I really don't understand these kinds of posts, either.  They must be trying real hard to chat it up with the leets.  For anyone who's interested just go see for yourself -- read some posts on the forums and decide:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    [mod edit]

are you playing the same game as me? i have never met anyone in the game like that and i have been playing since release.and i,m a casual player..i dont even have ql 8 stuff and has i say been playing since release.i grant you there is no doubt a few but i,m no elitist prick. i will group and mess around with anyone. and i,m extremely polite as well.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Community was pretty good, one of the better ones, but then again, I never did any nightmares before I left.

Side note: the Leet is a low level rat type mob in Anarchy online, it would talk in l33t speak in game, it was kind of a parody, it eventually basically became the game's mascot, with the game store selling leet pets with different skins, like a godzilla leet, a ninja leet and such.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Like I said half good half bad

Not everyone is an elitist prick
    Not everyone is a fluffy let's welcome the newbies type either

It's a better community than say wow. But its not say coh good. Probably put it on a oar with gw2 or something.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Like I said half good half bad

Not everyone is an elitist prick
    Not everyone is a fluffy let's welcome the newbies type either

It's a better community than say wow. But its not say coh good. Probably put it on a oar with gw2 or something.

Funny you should say it, because lots of CoH refugees came over to TSW.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Everything that I've experienced with TSW and it's community has been bad.  I have never witnessed a worse community in any mmo, and typically I would expect the smaller titles to have a more respectful attitude.  I don't know what is the contributing factor, but my general feel for the TSW community has been that they are vengeful, intolerant and outwardly bias.  That doesn't mean that each TSW player is like that, just the ones that I've dealt with. 

Because of it's community, I won't have anything else to do with the game.  I normally try to refrain from posting negatively about  games, but you asked and you can't get an accurate perception unless you see both sides of the story.

The same can be said for the community of another game that is B2P...cough***GW2***cough.image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.