Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Players' Choice Awards

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Kabaal
    Sadly the choices in some of the categories are lacking this year. It felt like choosing between "meh" and "ok". Star Citizen was however clear cut, can't wait to see what they do with the game.

What games would you have liked to see that we didn't have in there?

Age Of Wushu for a start, it has some features never seen in any MMO. Archeage has a prison system, so does AOW, Age Of Wushu has an offline features that leave your character in the game after you log off . You can become a merchant or gain cultivation points, you can also be kidnaped by PKs who can then sell you into slavery for money. Age Of Wushu also has farming like Archeage, in fact it has many features like Archeage. If GW2 had these features you wouldn't stop talking about them, instead of three GW2 write up in a day we would be getting five.

• Sharkfin6Sharkfin6 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by rajadog20
    I don't get it, how is TSW beating Storm Legion?

i play both. voted TSW.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Which catagory are you talking about.

If its Innovation then the Dimension Idea was done in CoH a long time ago. not to the same extent but its been done in a themepark already.

Edit - NVM its only listed in GOTY. Maybe its our nicheness?

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Sadly the choices in some of the categories are lacking this year. It felt like choosing between "meh" and "ok". Star Citizen was however clear cut, can't wait to see what they do with the game.

Since you included WoW's Pandaria, why not put in EVE Online? It had great expansion this year and its still arguably the best MMORPG

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Age Of Wushu for a start, it has some features never seen in any MMO. Archeage has a prison system, so does AOW, Age Of Wushu has an offline features that leave your character in the game after you log off . You can become a merchant or gain cultivation points, you can also be kidnaped by PKs who can then sell you into slavery for money. Age Of Wushu also has farming like Archeage, in fact it has many features like Archeage. If GW2 had these features you wouldn't stop talking about them, instead of three GW2 write up in a day we would be getting five.

I will agree with you there however not for innovation. Please dont take this as the cop out it sounds like. It really should be listed in Anticipated but not any other catagory because its still in development.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Good thing you could avoid questions, I could only vote on two lol.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Played Wurm Online, They are nothing alike. For one you are compareing a Sandbox to a themepark. Also while there is no classes there is also not much of anything else in that area other than click to start attacking. And the other parts of Wurm online attribute to the sandbox style.

Simply put the game isnt compareible and i prefer having TSW's classless rather than Wurm's Lack of everything.

Given the arguement i've had meny a time, i don't feel like Themeparks and Sandboxes should ever be compared. The approch is far to different to be able to compare anything of the sort. Dont get me wrong i like sandboxes, played FoM, Wurm, and Eve for 2 years apiece.

I think the best way we are gonna end the argument is by saying that there needs to be 2 catagories for innovations One for Sandbox and one for Themepark.

Wurm Online is innovative TSW is not so they have nothing in common and as you say TSW is a themepark so it can never be innovative.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    There should be a none of the above option for players to choose from. Voting for the mmo GOTY was painful.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Well, it's actually quite simple. You see, there's a systen where an user select between several options by clicking on a circle next to the name of the options he prefers, then once he's done clicks on a big blue "VOTE" button under it. TSW is beating Storm Legion because more people clicked on the circle next to TSW than they did on the one next to Storm Legion.. :)

BTW, personally I like to see TSW as a second place in GotY (I voted for GW2, TSW was my second option) and I'd be just as happy if it got it as well, IMHO both games deserve it.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    There should be a none of the above option for players to choose from. Voting for the mmo GOTY was painful.

The problem with that option is that it would surely get the most votes. So much for GOTY ;-)

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Hmm my votes differ greatly from others except for most anticipated being ESO. I had a hard time choosing Best Hybrid MMO. I've played MWO some and like it but it is in no way an MMO. If anything it is a small team based multiplayer game. I don't think the payment model is ideal. Hawken, same thing, and probably same for SMITE. The others I haven't played to know so I just picked something.

No what im saying is that they are 2 completely different styles of game. When FPS's added RPG elements it was consitered Innovative. Thus a Themepark adding Sandbox elements, in the Themepark perspective is Innovative. If sandbox did the same it would get the same treatment. As a Sandbox Wurm is Rightfully respected as one of the originals that made the Genre, as a Themepark TSW is consitered very innovative. if you want to go all hipster elitiest crap and say sandbox did it first go for it but my point still stands.

Sandboxes and Themeparks have about as much in common as their names imply. Thus we shouldn't compare them, They should be given their own catagory. Hell if i could give them their own site i would it would stop this fighting that constantly happens.

Because i can.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Originally posted by Rimmersman

I will agree with you there however not for innovation. Please dont take this as the cop out it sounds like. It really should be listed in Anticipated but not any other catagory because its still in development.

That's fair enough but if that's the case, the same should apply to all the games that are in the competition that have not been released. And let's not forget that unlike Archeage, Age Of Wushu has more in common with the sandbox gaming. We also have the public execution for PKs who really break the law constantly, i've never seen beheading of player's in any MMO.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Voted for TSW for GOTY. Seeing as GW2 didnt live up to the hype or manifesto. No endgame, zerg wvwvw, makes it another generic fantasy mmo. TSW while had its problems had amazing quests, generally difficult content, unique skill system, and an amazing setting. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• hyperion529hyperion529 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Lizardone
    TSW may be more innovative but GW2's gameplay is better. So GOTY is for GW2..

That's opinion.  Personally TSW is better in every way for me.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Why isn't Pathfinder Online listed or Xsyon? Only voted for most innovative since not a single game this year I would say it worth a reward or even game of the year. Like voting for which game do you think isn't the worst game of the year and making it GOTY...LOL! Not going to do it, none of them deserve such a title.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    How nice.  I've played exactly none of the games that were nominated for anything.
  • racingsnailzoomracingsnailzoom Member Posts: 5
    fail Quizzical!
    OH definately i wouldnt be suprised if its tops the list next year after release. However i would very much like to see a Themepark and Sandbox list as seperate entities. The more we compare them, the more we end up at eachothers throats.

Because i can.

• sickbutepicsickbutepic Member Posts: 1
    i <3 skyrim
  • hyperion529hyperion529 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Kenze

Originally posted by botrytis

Originally posted by LlexX Im quiet supprised that EveOnline is missing from the list. Also GW2 is just getting too much attention, which it shouldn't deserve. This year was again a year of themeparks... sadly, hope that changes for the next year.
    Eve is not a new game - hence it should not be on the list.   Just becaue you don't like GW2 does not mean it shouldn't get this attention. In fact, I feel it is not getting enough attention now!
    Feel the same way about TSW, Sadly i feel TSW and GW2 were the 2 top games released this year. However since we are consitered Niche and the raging hatred of Funcom, we never really stood a chance at GOTY. im happy atleast with innovative.

[mod edit]

What are you talking about?  The servers are still bustling with action at all times...while its never going to appeal to the mass audence (in order to do that you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator of gamer, which TSW does NOT do...it REQUIRES you to think while you play- for this reason alone, it won't appeal to most gamers)

No Excuses. I am thrilled to be in a game that respects intelligence and caters to the audience that apprecieates innovation, quality design, and the best damn storyline in any MMO ever (personal opinion ofc, but the story and voice acting is FAR superior to even SWTOR and GW2's storyline is laughable pathetic, at least what I played).  [mod edit]

Originally posted by LlexX Im quiet supprised that EveOnline is missing from the list. Also GW2 is just getting too much attention, which it shouldn't deserve. This year was again a year of themeparks... sadly, hope that changes for the next year.
    Eve is not a new game - hence it should not be on the list.   Just becaue you don't like GW2 does not mean it shouldn't get this attention. In fact, I feel it is not getting enough attention now!
    Feel the same way about TSW, Sadly i feel TSW and GW2 were the 2 top games released this year. However since we are consitered Niche and the raging hatred of Funcom, we never really stood a chance at GOTY. im happy atleast with innovative.

[mod edit]

Its still running quite well, Making a profit with Subs, was released this year. thus yes i see it on the list for GOTY, I dont think it should win but definately be listed as a possiblity.

Because i can.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by hyperion529

[mod edit]

What are you talking about?  The servers are still bustling with action at all times...while its never going to appeal to the mass audence (in order to do that you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator of gamer, which TSW does NOT do...it REQUIRES you to think while you play- for this reason alone, it won't appeal to most gamers)

No Excuses. I am thrilled to be in a game that respects intelligence and caters to the audience that apprecieates innovation, quality design, and the best damn storyline in any MMO ever.

^^ This x 1000

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114

It saddens me that Age of Wushu is not on the list for Most Anticipated / Rising Star.  I wonder why this game seemily gets no love. I guess I have abnormal taste when it comes to mmo games. I really enjoyed closed beta (1) as well as really looking forward to the next beta in a few days.  Actually I am pining for it to go live, feb ( I think it is still then) cannot come soon enough.

• MustBeBadMustBeBad Member Posts: 74

Woooow GW2 has become like wow..everybody hates now  just because its popular.

GOTY here