Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Insider's Terminology 101: "Do You Even Lift?"

Hi,

I've been scouring the Darkfall forum of late, and am impressed and weirded out by the level of inside jokes and overarching, shared aesthetic. This is the kind of thing I've only seen when people share a passion and connection to something, so it makes me almost freakishly excited to learn more about this game. It's like, I can see that there's something special about Darkfall through the eyes of its players.  I mean, there's something kind of damp and strange about it, but that just makes it more titilating. Is it okay to refer to the Darkfall community as "titilating"? 

Here is a list of the terms I have seen bandied about, and I'm hoping someone can offer some insight as to what each one means; I will fill in the answers in red as they "come at me":

1) "Do you even lift?" Tasos never actually said "do you even lift", it's an internet saying that people originally said to prove how tough they are over the internet, and it is now employed ad nausuem among the Darkfall elite.

2) GSO: Stands for Get Shit On,  (not df exclusive,  it's internet slang)

3) Derp: The sound that a so called 'retarded' person might make. Usage: if someone is ranting and off target, an opposing view might reduce the entirety of the ranter's stance to, merely, "derp derp derp".

4) Pixels: Used as a defense mechanism after dying and getting looted to emphasize that you place little importance on equipment.  "Oh no, don't take my pixels." Also used to describe people who are overly obsessed with gear: "Pixel Tard".

5) Robed Warrior: Someone who is too scared to put on their quality gear due to fear of having it looted, so they just run around in a cheap robe, while all their gear sits in a bank.  AKA "Pixel Horder".  Often heard saying "Derp derp derp".

6) "Fuck it, we'll do it live": Originally from bill o'reilly - - used in reference to Tasos/Aventurine deciding not to have a Beta phase for Darkfall (which is happening again with Unholy Wars, though some would argue that the original Darkfall WAS the Beta for Unholy Wars).  As in "Beta? Fuck it, we'll do it live".

7) Zag Raid:

If anyone would care to add to this list, please gimme some terms and I'll pop them into this post.

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

2. GSO - get shit on,  (not df exclusive,  it's internet slang)

6. a refernece as to why there is no beta

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by Luxuriousbubbabath

Hi,

I've been scouring the Darkfall forum of late, and am impressed and weirded out by the level of inside jokes and overarching, shared aesthetic. This is the kind of thing I've only seen when people share a passion and connection to something, so it makes me almost freakishly excited to learn more about this game. It's like, I can see that there's something special about Darkfall through the eyes of its players.  I mean, there's something kind of damp and strange about it, but that just makes it more titilating. Is it okay to refer to the Darkfall community as "titilating"? 

Here is a list of the terms I have seen bandied about, and I'm hoping someone can offer some insight as to what each one means:

1) "Do you even lift?"  Gym reference to determine your real life toughness, and nerd-level

2) GSO  Get Sh*t on (something to say when you beat another player either in game or on forumfall)

3) Derp Retarded

4) Pixils Armor, weapons, gold, ingame stuff

5) Robed Warrior (or something like that, I lost track of the thread)  Likely a reference to a percieved "ungeared or undergeared" player, (can't take someone's stuff if their not wearing anything worth taking)

6) "Fuck it, we'll do it live"  Launching without an official beta test

If anyone would care to add to this list, please gimme some terms and I'll pop them into this post. I'll add the meaning to each as they're explained. Thank you, Darkfall Community.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Hi,

Here is a list of the terms I have seen bandied about, and I'm hoping someone can offer some insight as to what each one means:

1) "Do you even lift?"

2) GSO

3) Derp

4) Pixils

5) Robed Warrior (or something like that, I lost track of the thread)

6) "Fuck it, we'll do it live"

If anyone would care to add to this list, please gimme some terms and I'll pop them into this post. I'll add the meaning to each as they're explained. Thank you, Darkfall Community.

It's only fair I warn you, being a long term player, this is a trollalalalalla community.  You'd think we all hate each other with the hard trolling...but its just a big game of troll....so must know that before coming in.  Also, Do you even lift?  If not....probably shouldn't come over.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• I was hoping Tasos actually said "Do you even lift" at some point, as well as "fuck it, we'll do it live".  Is that not the case?
  • Originally posted by 123443211234

Hi,

1) "Do you even lift?"  Gym reference to determine your real life toughness, and nerd-level

2) GSO  Get Sh*t on (something to say when you beat another player either in game or on forumfall)

3) Derp Retarded

5) Robed Warrior (or something like that, I lost track of the thread)  Likely a reference to a percieved "ungeared or undergeared" player, (can't take someone's stuff if their not wearing anything worth taking)

I was hoping you could elaborate on this:

How does the term "Pixils" refer to Armor, Weapons, gold, etc.? What does that even mean?  And how did the term come about? 

Did Tasos ever actually say "Do you even lift" or "fuck it, we'll do it live"?

• SeronysSeronys Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by 123443211234

Hi,

3) Derp Retarded

How does the term "Pixils" refer to Armor, Weapons, gold, etc.? What does that even mean?  And how did the term come about? 

omg guy...

pixels refer to the ingame items, cause thats how they are displayed through pixels, meaning when you die you lose those items (pixels).

no tasos never actually said do you even lift, its an internet saying that people originally said to prove how tough they are over the internet, it turned into a joke to say the least. Fuck it we'll do it live is from bill o'reilly, the fact that you never... you know what i don't even... just watch this...

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Pixel - "A pixel is generally thought of as the smallest single component of a digital image."

Used as a defense mechanism after dying and getting looted to emphasize that you place little importance on equipment.  "Oh no, don't take my pixels."

(when taking items from a corpse you have to drag the little pictures from gravestone container into your characters backpack, so you are clicking on groups of pixels)

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Seronys
    Originally posted by 123443211234

Hi,

3) Derp Retarded

omg guy...

pixels refer to the ingame items, cause thats how they are displayed through pixels, meaning when you die you lose those items (pixels).

no tasos never actually said do you even lift, its an internet saying that people originally said to prove how tough they are over the internet, it turned into a joke to say the least. Fuck it we'll do it live is from bill o'reilly, the fact that you never... you know what i don't even... just watch this...

and adding to th is, Tasos is kind of stocky...so, someone made a post a while ago about Tasos lifting weights...it stuck.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Waht does "QQ" mean?
  • OP has been updated to reflect various answers given here and elsewhere. If there are any Darkfall indigenous sayings or inside terminology not listed here, please inform and I will update the OP as we go.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Dekapitator
    Waht does "QQ" mean?

QQ means cry or crying (I'm QQ - QQ more you noob!!!), used in most online games. Basically it means to look like two eyes (circles) with the tears coming down.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• Originally posted by Dekapitator
    Waht does "QQ" mean?

it means Quit Qtrolling my thread, woman.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Dekapitator
    Waht does "QQ" mean?

QQ = image

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148

It's pixels, not pixils!

Also there was a beta for the original Darkfall.

And yeah you are correct that ForumFall is a very special corner of the internet.. a result of great passion, many letdowns and a very competetive playerbase I would say..

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
     I was under the impression that "derp" was similar to "fail" but I am not sure.
  • LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    QQ (cry) should be added to the list. This is a common one though.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
  • joshuawnjoshuawn Member Posts: 9

none of the aforementioned is original to the darkfall community, nor are the memes prevalent enough to worry about nor "inside" enough to misunderstand.

you know what is original to the darkfall community though?

the amazing prowess of zag raid

• Okay, so what is a Zag Raid? Term added to OP, waiting for your response.
  • naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    Okay, so what is a Zag Raid? Term added to OP, waiting for your response.

one does not reveal what the zag raid is

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"It's just pixels" is a common phrase in MMOs, especially when trying to help someone get over their pet/mount/loot that somebody just killed.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Cstahler92Cstahler92 Member Posts: 93
    Derp is from the Creators of South Park
  • hurtahurta Member Posts: 2

skills -> better script bot

carebear -> don't make the game harder as it is now, as it is to hard already; Fuck off PKer.

hardcore ->  generally the game is too hard for me; Please don't kill me.

"there are more important things currently" -> i need more time to use the exploit/bug, as i havn't figured it out yet, or not made a lot out of it yet.

"we", "us", "everyone", "worldwide" -> I

in general nearly every post is a cry for                ---------------------------------------------------------->

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

from what i was told, "QQ" has evolved from what was once the old battlenet starcraft menu "q" and quit "q" command. apparently when people tried to rage quit mid game they would often do it in a hurry and type qq in chat then log off.

the "do you even lift" was probably something another player said to someone on the forums during a semi serious troll argument.  im not 100% but i wouldnt surprise me that someone got personal and said it in a serious manner at one point.  

one should note that on the more recent interviews with tasos it showed him in a short tight sleeved shirt, leading people to many tasos related lifting jokes including the infamous community photoshopping tasos head on any and all things, putting the face on a body builder body.

The current DF community is pretty tight knit, as any game with a low population has.

• Cstahler92Cstahler92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

from what i was told, "QQ" has evolved from what was once the old battlenet starcraft menu "q" and quit "q" command. apparently when people tried to rage quit mid game they would often do it in a hurry and type qq in chat then log off.

the "do you even lift" was probably something another player said to someone on the forums during a semi serious troll argument.  im not 100% but i wouldnt surprise me that someone got personal and said it in a serious manner at one point.  

one should note that on the more recent interviews with tasos it showed him in a short tight sleeved shirt, leading people to many tasos related lifting jokes including the infamous community photoshopping tasos head on any and all things, putting the face on a body builder body.

The current DF community is pretty tight knit, as any game with a low population has.

Do you even lift came from a fight on a forums of body builders. Sadly the only thing I actualy saw that could be from DF is Pixels. Which isn't really known by memers yet.