Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Players' Choice Awards

Comments

• StarwatcherStarwatcher Member UncommonPosts: 1
    TSW most innovative - yes ! But hey - let's keep it for ourselves - stop voting for it.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Sadly the choices in some of the categories are lacking this year. It felt like choosing between "meh" and "ok". Star Citizen was however clear cut, can't wait to see what they do with the game.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Kabaal

Sadly the choices in some of the categories are lacking this year. It felt like choosing between "meh" and "ok". Star Citizen was however clear cut, can't wait to see what they do with the game.

What games would you have liked to see that we didn't have in there?

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    No game on that list is innovative just because you like the game does not mean that it is innovative or the word has lost all it's meaning.

Im not looking at it from a Like the game standpoint if you read what i said you would get that. Also what do you mean TSW is not innovative, TSW Tried new things in the game, Pushed to allow you to have the character you want not just a Class with a build you like. Made endgame content more about strategy than sheer blasting power. Added new ways to play the game with Reticle combat. I would really like to know what your definition of Innovative is.

I also Feel that World of Darkness should be on the anticipation list. Its barely even hyped and there is already a ton of anticipation behind it.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    No game on that list is innovative just because you like the game does not mean that it is innovative or the word has lost all it's meaning.

Im not looking at it from a Like the game standpoint if you read what i said you would get that. Also what do you mean TSW is not innovative, TSW Tried new things in the game, Pushed to allow you to have the character you want not just a Class with a build you like. Made endgame content more about strategy than sheer blasting power. Added new ways to play the game with Reticle combat. I would really like to know what your definition of Innovative is.

I also Feel that World of Darkness should be on the anticipation list. Its barely even hyped and there is already a ton of anticipation behind it.

WoD is a bit further out. I would not be surprised to see it on our 2013 shortlist. :)

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I'm not saying those aren't innovations for TSW. But I'm sure you would not call some of the features in other games that are present(and not present) on that list innovations when they do similar types of innovations.

Just to make it a bit clearer. The things you mentioned have all been generally done, but maybe they are a bit different in this game. I would call that innovation as well, but I bet if asked about those same things in other games you would probably say no. It's a double standard that happens to often in this site.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by MikeB

It wasn't meant as a criticism of what MMORPG.com have put on the polls but of what the year has produced. The choices just emphasize that really.

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    TSW may be more innovative but GW2's gameplay is better. So GOTY is for GW2..
    Originally posted by MikeB

It wasn't meant as a criticism of what MMORPG.com have put on the polls but of what the year has produced. The choices just emphasize that really.

I would have added Tera to innovative. Although the vast mayority of the game was pretty standard it's combat was definately innovative.

I would concede to that. There have most definately been Innovations in games not listed. the main reason they arent listed is because they aren't big enough for people to really know about them.

Also in truth of the gaming industry we seem to look at it as "This game released with it first so it was their idea" which is quite possibly not true. Take a game that has been in production for years, Some joe hears about the idea and releases something horrible in several months before the game is released using their idea. it is suddenly seen as joe's idea even though the other game techincally was making something for it first. With that i tend to say Anyone who put something forward of the idea (since i know other games have tried the classes thing) within its first year of release gets credit. 

And before someone tries to put the words of GOTY in my mouth. My opinion only relates to most innovative, Due to the massive Support GW2 had even before its release i do feel it deserves the title of GOTY.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    shame theres not other category, elite 4 is my most anticipated

I would concede to that. There have most definately been Innovations in games not listed. the main reason they arent listed is because they aren't big enough for people to really know about them.

Also in truth of the gaming industry we seem to look at it as "This game released with it first so it was their idea" which is quite possibly not true. Take a game that has been in production for years, Some joe hears about the idea and releases something horrible in several months before the game is released using their idea. it is suddenly seen as joe's idea even though the other game techincally was making something for it first. With that i tend to say Anyone who put something forward of the idea (since i know other games have tried the classes thing) within its first year of release gets credit. 

And before someone tries to put the words of GOTY in my mouth. My opinion only relates to most innovative, Due to the massive Support GW2 had even before its release i do feel it deserves the title of GOTY.

Well, I'm talking about both games in the list and not on the list. They are there for a reason. Probably none flat out innovated in a way were they came up with something totally new that was great, but they innovated in providing something that was maybe already done but with a twist. Or took something that is old and made it feel like new again. I find that to be innovation as well.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    shame theres not other category, elite 4 is my most anticipated

Must...Hold....Back...Pokemon....Joke.

Because i can.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

What new things has TSW tried? Someone else did it all years ago so nothing new there aka nothing innovative.

To be innovative you have to be the first with a new thing and not years late with something old.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

Im quiet supprised that EveOnline is missing from the list.

Also GW2 is just getting too much attention, which it shouldn't deserve.

This year was again a year of themeparks... sadly, hope that changes for the next year.

Originally posted by Kuppa

Well, I'm talking about both games in the list and not on the list. They are there for a reason. Probably none flat out innovated in a way were they came up with something totally new that was great, but they innovated in providing something that was maybe already done but with a twist. Or took something that is old and made it feel like new again. I find that to be innovation as well.

Quite true specially once we move out of the MMORPG genre you will see these things out there in force. I think the main thing that bothered me was the stated he said about NONE of the games being innovative which in truth is a flat out lie.

Because i can.

Snip

What new things has TSW tried? Someone else did it all years ago so nothing new there aka nothing innovative.

To be innovative you have to be the first with a new thing and not years late with something old.

Oh please bring forward these games. i would very much like to see them. The only one that i can clearly see was Tera with the reticle combat. and even then i dont think that close enough to be consitered the same.

Because i can.

Snip

Oh please bring forward these games. i would very much like to see them. The only one that i can clearly see was Tera with the reticle combat. and even then i dont think that close enough to be consitered the same.

Wurm Online for one of many: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurm_Online

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by LlexX

This year was again a year of themeparks... sadly, hope that changes for the next year.

Eve is not a new game - hence it should not be on the list.

Just becaue you don't like GW2 does not mean it shouldn't get this attention. In fact, I feel it is not getting enough attention now!

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    funny that TESO seems to be the most anticipated but the game doesn't appear in the hype meter of this site
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    GW2 for GOTY and TSW for most innovative!  Both awesome games!

Played Wurm Online, They are nothing alike. For one you are compareing a Sandbox to a themepark. Also while there is no classes there is also not much of anything else in that area other than click to start attacking. And the other parts of Wurm online attribute to the sandbox style.

Simply put the game isnt compareible and i prefer having TSW's classless rather than Wurm's Lack of everything.

Given the arguement i've had meny a time, i don't feel like Themeparks and Sandboxes should ever be compared. The approch is far to different to be able to compare anything of the sort. Dont get me wrong i like sandboxes, played FoM, Wurm, and Eve for 2 years apiece.

I think the best way we are gonna end the argument is by saying that there needs to be 2 catagories for innovations One for Sandbox and one for Themepark.

Because i can.

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by LlexX

Eve is not a new game - hence it should not be on the list.

Just becaue you don't like GW2 does not mean it shouldn't get this attention. In fact, I feel it is not getting enough attention now!

Feel the same way about TSW, Sadly i feel TSW and GW2 were the 2 top games released this year. However since we are consitered Niche and the raging hatred of Funcom, we never really stood a chance at GOTY. im happy atleast with innovative.

Because i can.

Played Wurm Online, They are nothing alike. For one you are compareing a Sandbox to a themepark. Also while there is no classes there is also not much of anything else in that area other than click to start attacking. And the other parts of Wurm online attribute to the sandbox style.

Simply put the game isnt compareible and i prefer having TSW's classless rather than Wurm's Lack of everything.

Given the arguement i've had meny a time, i don't feel like Themeparks and Sandboxes should ever be compared. The approch is far to different to be able to compare anything of the sort. Dont get me wrong i like sandboxes, played FoM, Wurm, and Eve for 2 years apiece.

I think the best way we are gonna end the argument is by saying that there needs to be 2 catagories for innovations One for Sandbox and one for Themepark.

One is innovative and the other is not so of course they have nothing in common and how do you innovate a themepark?

• rajadog20rajadog20 Member Posts: 9
    I don't get it, how is TSW beating Storm Legion?