Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] The Secret World: Joel Bylos’ End of Days Blog #1

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has teamed up with MMORPG.com to help spread the word about the impending end of the world as we know it, at least according to The Secret World's Game Director Joel Bylos. See what "The Prophet" has to say in his first End of Days Blog then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

I want to clarify a few things and I suspect this is probably the place to do that. Some of you have seen my video. I wanted to document the end, so that whatever intelligence beings come after us (whether they evolve from cockroaches into some kind of super cockroach or are beings from Gliese 581g) can see a tasteful and down to earth portrayal of how a species faces the end with dignity.

Read more of Joel Bylos's The Secret World: Joel Bylos’ End of Days Blog #1.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"In Transylvanina, Alina has grown sick of the Morninglight’s interference in her life and she sends the player on a mission to learn more about the mysterious cult."

I'm a faithful KG fan since Illuminati first became playable in the beta, but this sounds good, Cassie rocks :)

"And sure, I know some of you are probably asking the question: “If he really thinks that the world is going to end, why doesn’t he just give everybody full accounts to The Secret World with all skills and abilities unlocked and the best gear in the game.” And to those people I say…

Oh dear, look at the time."

LOL

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I somehow knew that TSW is the ultimate MMO to celebrate the Mayan Prophecy of World Ending.

Glad they picked up the topic.. now I´m curious how this turning out.. the ARG is already quite a mysterium to me at the moment :D

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I'm really glad they didnt create another lame christmas event, as all the other games do. This one is different. This one is more than a bunch of crappy daily quests. Thanks guys.

Hodor!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by gwei1984
    I'm really glad they didnt create another lame christmas event, as all the other games do. This one is different. This one is more than a bunch of crappy daily quests. Thanks guys.

It is actually nice to see something different from a christmas event.

oh wow I nearly missed the text part with the infos on Issue#5 !

cool stuff, but how time limited will it be?? I was close to missing all rewards from the Halloween event due to work.

Certainly don´t want to run into that problem again and rather take some days off work before the world ends :D 

Originally posted by pupurun

This is purely another Funcom story. End of the wolrd coming? Here have a virtual duck life vest.

eerrrrmm you clearly didn´t play the TSW Halloween event... new and very cool story arc missions, transforming werewolves dropping several halloween treats like zombie/mummy disguises.. blood trails.. chasing the cat god materializing in kingsmouth... pvp competition going on, permanent faction reward.. clothing rewards and pet rewards for completing achievements.. and mysterious CATS.. :D

don´t know about AoC, never played and event there but TSW events seem to be more heavy on the content side

The Return of ELITE !

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by FromHell

cool stuff, but how time limited will it be?? I was close to missing all rewards from the Halloween event due to work.

Certainly don´t want to run into that problem again and rather take some days off work before the world ends :D 

Well, the Halloween event was around for nearly 3 weeks. I would think, that this one will be active for at least 2-3 weeks as well.

Hodor!

Originally posted by gwei1984
    Originally posted by FromHell

Well, the Halloween event was around for nearly 3 weeks. I would think, that this one will be active for at least 2-3 weeks as well.

I was only CLOSE to missing the halloween event, I was able to start late in the last week, but I got it all :D

Even the crazy cylinder hat and the pet as faction reward .

Have to say my favourite reward is the dimenions hopping cat. Can´t stop watching this eerie tentacle kitty appear and disappear in some black hole.

The Return of ELITE !

• NinevenNineven Member UncommonPosts: 86

The game doesn't have enough content. You can do quest dailies, pvp, or do dungeons. That's all there is to do man. Nothing else, nothing  more. So naturally, people are going to start moving to other games.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Oh this is for a game event? I thought this dude was actuallly that niave. They posted this on another site and we all just thought he was....not smart...

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Nineven

The game doesn't have enough content. You can do quest dailies, pvp, or do dungeons. That's all there is to do man. Nothing else, nothing  more. So naturally, people are going to start moving to other games.

Yeah its about as much as every other game released has, Except the fact that we are getting content updates monthly. We now have a new raid and had Reticle combat added.

As its stands we have had 4 Content updates in 4 months. Or would you rather run to WoW and compare a 6 year old game to a 4 month old game.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

For the record, Tarib just posted on the official forums: the 12.12.12 patch includes the 1.5 bug fixes, balance changes, some additions to ingame clothes vendors, &c. (not 100% certain about the PvP changes) but not the four "Issue 5" missions, which go live next week and will be permanent additions to the game.

The time-limited seasonal content (5 missions, 3 rare spawn mobs to hunt and kill, 5 lore pieces to find plus various bits of fluff, probably including 2 or 3 cash shop items), I haven't seen confirmed dates for. It's not fully active on Testlive yet.

EDIT: grammar + typo.

• ThorgrimmThorgrimm Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 274
    [mod edit] I have been playing since launch and I have not run out of missions yet. I did not rush to max abilities. By taking your time, reading/listening to the awesome story content , and exploring the zones, you can find missions not listed on the walk thru sites. TSW rocks!
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

nice work Joel!

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Thank you Joel & Co. for saving me from:

• Frostbluff coins
    • Corgi dogs with Rudolph noses
    • The Abominable Greench
    • Frostfell in Norrath
    • Snowballs
    • Toymaker Tixx

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Wasn't all his blog talk already up here in news? How does this not fall under that topic? Paid?
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by Thorgrimm
    And our TROLL award goes to Nineven. I have been playing since launch and I have not run out of missions yet. I did not rush to max abilities. By taking your time, reading/listening to the awesome story content , and exploring the zones, you can find missions not listed on the walk thru sites. TSW rocks!

Yes, play less than 1 hour in a day in the genre, that is all about advancing your character, then act smug. The time when you could say, "OMG you hardcorer's play too fast" is long gone.

All you're adding is, that TSW would be a better single-player game, instead of an MMO.

Also, calling people trolls for valid arguments only means you have no other answer. Seemingly you aren't even far enough to comment on his comment. But hey, keep on trollin' yourself (do you even know trolling is?).

• KhaerKhaer Member CommonPosts: 1
    What use is a bunker going to be at the end of the world?
  • dekrossedekrosse Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Khaer

What use is a bunker going to be at the end of the world?

Psychological reassurance so that you don't die sad and scared and crying, of course.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981

“I wanted to document the end, so that whatever intelligence beings come after us”

- that’s 'intelligent beings' mate. Cockroaches can spell. :)

As for bunkers, some people live their life in a bunker, why should they get out of it for the end of the world?