Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ehh? No "beast legs" for Khajit and Argonians? Bad.

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I just looked at the TESO screenshots and saw, apparently the Khajit and Argonians have no beast legs but are merely "humans with beast heads". Sorry if that sounds like nitpicking, but for me that's a bad sign. I don't usually play "beastial" races. But I like it that a MMO HAS such exotic things. It's one of those things which drove SWTOR into the ground: lack of detail, no love for the "small things". Like they said, diving would not be necessary, or day-night cycles. SWTOR too much made it as a calculation. Like animating swimming costs so and so much, and the gain, or so they thought, would be minimal.

And THAT was wrong, because all these many "neglible" small things sum up. They are what makes a world believable. And it can't be THAT difficult. GW2 has it in the Charr, WOW had it, even EQ2 with Sarnath had it. So don't tell me beast legs are too difficult to animate or make armour for.

Yes you can say, it's one small thing, what does it matter? But it's a bad sign. Someone who takes one small thing not so serious will be neglecting in other things.

NOT good.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    They look the same as in the single players games, they said they are still playing with the facial features though.
  • satora54satora54 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Elikal

I just looked at the TESO screenshots and saw, apparently the Khajit and Argonians have no beast legs but are merely "humans with beast heads". Sorry if that sounds like nitpicking, but for me that's a bad sign. I don't usually play "beastial" races. But I like it that a MMO HAS such exotic things. It's one of those things which drove SWTOR into the ground: lack of detail, no love for the "small things". Like they said, diving would not be necessary, or day-night cycles. SWTOR too much made it as a calculation. Like animating swimming costs so and so much, and the gain, or so they thought, would be minimal.

And THAT was wrong, because all these many "neglible" small things sum up. They are what makes a world believable. And it can't be THAT difficult. GW2 has it in the Charr, WOW had it, even EQ2 with Sarnath had it. So don't tell me beast legs are too difficult to animate or make armour for.

Yes you can say, it's one small thing, what does it matter? But it's a bad sign. Someone who takes one small thing not so serious will be neglecting in other things.

NOT good.

Sarnak* That is all.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Fearum
    They look the same as in the single players games, they said they are still playing with the facial features though.

Err no:

They were made lazy since Skyrim. THAT above is how they are SUPPOSED to look. Or more like Charr-legs, if you want a more recent example:

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    They have been like this since Oblivion. That's one of the smallest reasons why Morrowind and Daggerfall are still the best TES games, even though Skyrim was a definite improvement over Oblivion.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I think the small stuff is important too.  Although since it looks like they have been keeping with normal legs for a while, I can't except them to change now.  Would be nice though.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    They have been like this since Oblivion. That's one of the smallest reasons why Morrowind and Daggerfall are still the best TES games, even though Skyrim was a definite improvement over Oblivion.

I loathe that sort of "simplification". In Morrowind armours had many pieces, and which each new Elder Scrolls it became less, now it's just top and bottom part. Thats just sad.

I have had this debate in SWTOR already: a MMO NEEDS really "alien" races. And not just humans with different heads or ears. Look at the great effort ANet took in re-designing the Sylvari. That was EFFORT, and hell it was worth it. They really became a distinct race and not just "Elfs with leaves". Same with the Charr, who are not just "humans with cat-heads." That is the magic in creating MMO races.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

On the other hand, creating proper beast races is quite diffiicult. For example, it's obvious a lot of effort went into making GW2's Charr believable, but even they have some problems with tail clipping and many armor sets don't look great on them.

So, I understand the reasoning behind this decision, but still think it sucks. It's the reason why I've never played a Khajit or Argonian in TES 4&5, despite them being my among my favorite races in TES 3.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

OMG they made ART change decision two games ago, this game will suck so much!!!

Seriously

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Agree completely with OP.

The only game that got beast races "right", from what I played, was EQ2. I loved the variety there, and TESO not giving Khajit and Argonians human-like legs is just laziness. When I first saw them in Oblivion after coming from Morrowind I literally =/

It's not gamebreaking as in I'm not going to try the game over it, but it's still dissapointing.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Scalpless

I have to agree (with both you and OP), Daggerfall is still easily my favorite in the series.

But I am not surprised, this isnt the first simplification we heard about (even if the latest singleplayer game used the same thing here).

I dont think this is the thing that will break the game or anything but making it right would be one of those small details that makes a MMO better.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Why would they make it any different than it has been for 10 years?