Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mindless Zerg

DakJDakJ Member UncommonPosts: 4

Is this game ever going to do something about the boring mindless zerg aspect of the game?  Every time I play all I see is a huge armor zerg pushing every continent.  There isin't really anything fun about it and since you can't take bases without a link you can't even form up squads to go around the zerg to make it spread out to cover more areas.  Every time you do take territory with a smaller sized squad they just mount up 10x your numbers in tanks / air and shove you right back out.

Loved the game in beta but the zerg aspect of the game just got worse and worse to the point where it is barely even playable now.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

well you can take territory behind the zerg it's just not going to give you anything until you connect it to your own. the zerg still has to come back and retake what you stole.

yesterday we had a huge zerg trying to take The Crown for 4 hours without success.

the problem is more when one faction has a lot less players on and is faced with a zerg. i truly don't believe those factions percentages they show on the log in screen are true, or at least they are not reflective of the "online" numbers. i think there is a much bigger disparity in most servers.

• DakJDakJ Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Well... the Crown is a totally different beast in itself... it seems whichever faction holds the crown doesn't hold any other territory (probably because 80% of the faction is defending the crown for no reason)  As for being able to cap unlinked places I thought you couldnt flip the capture point without a link?  Or did they change that.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    you are right as in you can't flip it to your side but you can besically turn it neutral. the zerg still has to re-take it ( so besically they have to either split up the zerg us backtrack all the time) but yea i would prefer if you could flip any capturable point to your side regardless, it just wouldn't give you any resources unless it was attached to your territory.....if that makes any sense to you.
    Makes perfect sense, and really needs to be put back into the game.  It's just dumb that you just have to shove a wall of armor to the front territories and never have to think of defense on any other locations.
  • fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

What are the population numbers?

If the enemy outnumbers you 5:1... then you're going to find yourself outnumbered! 

If the population numbers are closer... and you're still outnumbered/outgunned... maybe try and find where the rest of your faction is and hang with them?

Zergs do tend to flow around the map - but they also have times when they colllide.  That's when you get the real big battles.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I just found there was no orginizeation to the game. People just started running at random bases without looking at the strategical value of the bases surrounding them. Its seems people are less trying to actually take bases and more people are trying to just shoot something.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

In the original Planetside, you had elite outfits that were very organized and coordinated attacks sometimes with other outfits. But you ALWAYS had the "zerg" as well, all you could do about them is send out globals and continentals and tell them roughly in which direction to go. Now in PS2 thankfully those of us who cert and use the command chat/abilities can set priority targets and send out ORDER mass messages. So it makes bright little flashy arrows for mindless zerglings to stare at and run after on the map.

You cannot control an entire empire, but you can always put the bait somewhere for the little monsters to run to. I'm still trying to figure out how to exactly rebuild my outfit and start organizing better, I've seen a few well led platoons. However it seems the huge 4squad filled ones I have run with don't necessarily have organization. They just seem to count on Quantity over Quality, hit an enemy with enough numbers and sometimes it works. And the way bases are designed in this game, you can hold a tech plant for AGES due to the funnel effect created by the dual backdoors and the upper balcony entries.

So aside from base design and just the "time to kill" difference this game has over it's predecessor, there's not much you can do until the design is tweaked with a bit more. Which SOE has come a LONG ways on improving. In the beta base captures never lasted more than 5minutes, and that's not an exaggeration.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Zerging?! In a war?! Oh my...
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    I just found there was no orginizeation to the game. People just started running at random bases without looking at the strategical value of the bases surrounding them. Its seems people are less trying to actually take bases and more people are trying to just shoot something.

That depends on who you role with. My outfit is the most tactical outfit on my server, and usually control at least 70% of the map. 1 platoon can do more work than 5 platoons that don't work as a team. I think that shows how much of a difference teamwork makes, and it's exactly why I like the game.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

It is a mindless possibly because:

a. You are not part of an outfit, or;

b. Your outfit favours mindless zergs, ie you join the wrong type of outfit

My outfit is an air cavalry outfit, it is all air (air infantry and air superiority role) so we play quite strategically, mostly deep strikes, cut supply or air defense.

Some outfits are mainly armor outfits. If they are, I think with armor outfit because of their slow movement there is not much choice but being the main line attackers/defenders (ie. the zergers).

If you want different type of play you will need to find an outfit of the type you like and join them. Random platoons aren't going to be very strategic.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Celise
    Well... the Crown is a totally different beast in itself... it seems whichever faction holds the crown doesn't hold any other territory (probably because 80% of the faction is defending the crown for no reason)  As for being able to cap unlinked places I thought you couldnt flip the capture point without a link?  Or did they change that.

The Crown is very defended because it is very hard to take and it is strategically important - it is very high up and it's defensive turrets can overwatch 2 critical bridges, and it also has air platforms, which makes it easy to launch attacks, to maintain air superiority and cutoff enemy supply lines on any direction for whichever faction holding it.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by denshing
    Zerging?! In a war?! Oh my...

Kinda fun how warfare seems to have evolved from Strategical big decisive battles to a big Tug-of-War based on skirmishes to a big fucking mindless blob of people killing eachother course the ages if you follow planetside 2 version of the history of mankind

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

It is a mindless possibly because:

a. You are not part of an outfit, or;

b. Your outfit favours mindless zergs, ie you join the wrong type of outfit

My outfit is an air cavalry outfit, it is all air (air infantry and air superiority role) so we play quite strategically, mostly deep strikes, cut supply or air defense.

Some outfits are mainly armor outfits. If they are, I think with armor outfit because of their slow movement there is not much choice but being the main line attackers/defenders (ie. the zergers).

If you want different type of play you will need to find an outfit of the type you like and join them. Random platoons aren't going to be very strategic.

"my" outfit has nothing to do with the zerg (we are actually one of the higher end outfits this is all mostly just my personal feelings towards the game).  We move out take bases and do various things.  It's just the second we take any territory within 5 minutes the entire minimap is solid enemy tanks taking everything back and there is nothing you can do about it.  Basically finding the game to be log in, join up with outfit, push a few bases with minimal enemy contact.  Get absolutely crushed by 10x our numbers immediately after, go back to warpgate, do it again on a different continent.  End up playing for an hour or so spend maybe 5 minutes actually fighting enemies. (meaning fighting them not while being spawn trapped by 20+ tanks).  Hell the only time we can even get a decent infantry fight is at various biodomes.  

Basically I'm just wondering when the game is going to be fun again instead of just being walls of tanks everywhere.