Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Count me out

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    My guess is a bunch of his wow guild left to play ps2

I mean if your a pvper at heart planetside 2 knocks wow into a cocked hat.
  • EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Well as I live and breathe . . .

Never thought I'd see the day when the majority of people in an mmorpg.com thread would come to the defense of a F2P game, and a SOE game at that.

The times, they are a changin'
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I dunno, .... no matter how well a (insert infantry class here) is upgraded with certs or bought gear, they still pretty much die with one shot from my default Vanguard main gun.  Also, just from the nature of how the combat is in this game, the majority of the time you are not going to actually SEE who kills you just due to the chaos of (video game) combat.  By that I mean the occasional stray grenade from friend or foe, the jacka$$ vehicle driver who doesn't look where he is going and runs you over, the occasional well placed sniper shot, or even taking unexpected flanking fire.  So even certed people who bought their gear have just as much chance to die for the most part as any one else. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Arclan

Thanks. Some of you have nudged me towards the 'try it out' door. It just sounded confusing with folks saying using specific tactics (zerg rezzing) you can get boatloads of certs; and you can buy weapons or whatnot in the cash shop. And how I should wait for SC sales and stock up. All seems like too much effort. would rather play on a level playing field where everyone just progresses and all that other crap is taken out of the equation.

All weapons are meant to be sidegrades, i.e. do you prefer faster fire but less damage or do you like a gun that hits hard, but takes more skill to aim? The only way the game could have a "level playing" field would be to remove all progression because it gives VERY slight advantages to people that have played more, very much like on PS1 with implants and more weapon options.

The game is not pay to win, it's pay for convienence. There is no weapon in game that can only be unlocked with cash and they are actually very cheap to buy with certs. I can get any gun i want with 3 or 4 days of casual playing, 1-4 hours a day. I have 2 fully upgraded guns and several vehicle certs already. I've put approx. 30 - 40 hours into my character and I've already spent over 2000 certs, saving the rest since I'm not sure what I want to buy now.

I'm thankful this game is F2P because it would have flopped otherwise. As fun as it is, there's no way it's worth $15 a month, not even PS1 was worth it and I loved that game. I would be ok with a server that only allowed subscribers though esecially since there's no incentive to go premium other than an exp boost.

• beerwigbeerwig Member Posts: 22
        I feel sorry for you op.This game kicks ass.You are missing out.Why not try a game if its free?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

After months of watching this game, and reading forums; I've decided I have no interest in their confusing pay to win model. Never downloaded the game.

I have no interest in free to play games whatsoever. Glad the genre is going there since it gives me lots more time IRL.

PS1 vet out

Kane, 1100 hours playing WoW...rofl

idk this post seems image.  OP hasn't even DL'd, but says he's "out"? As far as the payment model, you either sub and get monthly swag, or buy what you want, or grind for everything. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by furidiam

The main issue with the "just buy" it attitude, is what happens next month when the shiny new more powerful gun comes out? That is the trap of FTP games. I like PS2, but the FTP model destroys it for me. I still play it but for free and as a time waster, not a serious mmo.

Having me "pay" for a item destroys the fun for me. I resubbed to eve online last week and it is so far going great. At least in that game I can ignore the cash shop since I do not leave my ship on purpose:)

Its already happend, they released new guns.  I was looking at the carbine.  Exxactly the same as the cash shop one i got, which was not better than the stock one, but was more tuned to closer range combat, which i prefer.

In fact the new shiney gun was worse in rate of fire with no noticable payoff.  However i think it had more cert upgrade options. I not interested in versatility in upgrades because i want mine close range tuned, which it already is...so it offerd me no additional benefits..certainly not making my current one obsolete.

Guns are side grades.  Tuned towards a specific use, while your starter gun is decent at it all.  Its optional.

Really $15 is all you need, which is dirt cheap for a game like this.  Just get two guns and a camo with it.  If your really paranoid about them releasing a gun you want in the future then play it for free (personally i have issues with using/taking stuff without paying i consider it stealing after a certain point)

Anyway...kids are crying its pay to win because they refuse to pay for their entertainment, and they see other guns out there, and they assume that getting that gun will turn them pro.  They are in for one RUDE awakening once they get that 1000 certs and buy that new gun and realize they are still just as bad as before they had it.

Its nothing pay to win....well i could consider rocket pods on your light aircraft the only real pay to win, and even at that its not easy to win in them.

Basically if your stressing spending $5-$15 on a game...gaming shouldnt be a priority for you.  You have larger problems out there than a game that asks for compensation for the work put forth creating entertainment.  

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by expresso
    I tried to play it, I tried to love it but it just feels like any other millitary shooter we've been forced to endure for the last 10 years cept it's a bit sci-fi on a big map.  I'll stick to my Tribes ascend, might not be MMO but at least I feel like I make a difference in that game and it has something you cannot get else where.

Tribes Ascend kicks ass, however I find I love both equally. PS2 is newer so I am putting the hours in, but will return to Tribes when I need a change up.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

" F2P in my opinion also shows lack of confidence for a title."

Are you on drugs?

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Teala

After months of watching this game, and reading forums; I've decided I have no interest in their confusing pay to win model. Never downloaded the game.

I have no interest in free to play games whatsoever. Glad the genre is going there since it gives me lots more time IRL.

PS1 vet out

Wait...this is not true.  PS2 might have it's issues, but pay to win is not one of them. 

PS2 is the living embodiment of P2W, ALL the best weapons must be either purchased or earnt through days of grinding.

A non-paying "customer" is cannon-fodder, increasingly so as the game ages, they can never keep up with the curve as their paying enemies will have far superior armour, tools, weapons. 1-to-1 they have a MASSIVE advantage and the gap just keeps on growing.

However this being said SoE have to make their money somehow.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Zinzan

PS1 vet out

Wait...this is not true.  PS2 might have it's issues, but pay to win is not one of them. 

PS2 is the living embodiment of P2W, ALL the best weapons must be either purchased or earnt through days of grinding.

A non-paying "customer" is cannon-fodder, increasingly so as the game ages, they can never keep up with the curve as their paying enemies will have far superior armour, tools, weapons. 1-to-1 they have a MASSIVE advantage and the gap just keeps on growing.

This is factually incorrect.

Most of the weapons are actually "side-grades" rather than upgrades. They are specialized to one situation (close range, higher rate of fire) so they have a trength and a weakness whereas the stock weapons are general purpose weapons. The only exception is vehicle weapons like the rockets and missiles, or the bigger guns on the Liberator bombers. But even these are totally avalable to the F2P player with some time invested (you are playing anyway right? save up FFS).

Pay 2 Win means those items can only be purchased by using money instead of free game time.

I purposely did not buy any weapons off of the store in the first weeks so that I could test baseline equipment again after Beta.

If youre dying a lot it's because that's the nature of gameplay in the game for the most part (good weapons or no), or youre bad.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by vonryan123

" F2P in my opinion also shows lack of confidence for a title."

Are you on drugs?

I gonna have to agree with vonryan123.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Some of the starter guns are pretty good btw ;)

30 certs for a good scope and bam, killing machine. Doesnt take long to save up for c4, healing, and other things.

Or just wait until SOE does their triple SC promo and go buy 15$ card = 45$ and several weapons for free.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

PS1 vet out

If it was pay 2 win i could understand your frustration but tis not really pay2win LOL...

None of the weapons you buy will give you an advantage they will jsut give you a different way of playing.

The fact your not going to play it is actually your loss because its a great game and for me a lot better than PS1 was..

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Some guns you will want.

You will probably want anti air gun on the heavy if you want to take out air instead of tanks

You will probably want a shotgun on the light for base assaults, unless your going with your stock assault rifle and a long range scope and playing as a spotter / mobile sniper hybrid.

But buying them just gives you alternate play style not more raw power.

Things that have given my light more raw power - like long range scope, c4 for drop bombing tanks, better shields, self medi kit, grip to reduce lateral drift, mote fuel in the jetpack - they can't be bought out right in the cash shop.

Now I did buy a shotgun, but that's for when I want a change of playstyle instead of hiding up trees and being a spotter I get out the shotty for corridor fighting, killing generators, hacking take over consoles etc..
  • tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Only thing I see in the OP is QQ. Seriously... never played the game and you call it P2W? Everything is based off of what you read? There is absolutely NO WAY you could read and understand how much more effective a person who pays is over a free player... I assure you that there IS NO DIFFERENCE that can be seen. Money simply does NOT make you stronger, but go ahead and believe what you want just know that you kinda sound like a whiner... which is what we don't need in the game.

As for bugs and hacks... what bugs? And I have yet to witness any hacks, they get dealt with so quickly. Performance issues that people may be experiencing are NOT bugs... the game is massive... you see any other FPSs pulling this off cause I sure in the hell don't.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by expresso
    I tried to play it, I tried to love it but it just feels like any other millitary shooter we've been forced to endure for the last 10 years cept it's a bit sci-fi on a big map.  I'll stick to my Tribes ascend, might not be MMO but at least I feel like I make a difference in that game and it has something you cannot get else where.

I've played Tribes Ascend and found it to be boring... THAT is more of the same than Planetside is by far. How does Tribes offer more than other games?... It's a fast-paced shooter. I seriously don't think you played PS2 enough to really enjoy it. Join an organized outfit, not just any outfit... One that is very organized (i.e. has multiple platoons working together) You will see that PS2 is NOT like those other games... you simply can't do in other games what you can in PS2. You talk about making a difference... how about being a part of a force (An outfit) that is so organized that they steamroll over the enemy?

I am in the same outfit that I was in PS1, we have about 1300 members and have several platoons playing at any given time of the day with some form of operations going on 24/7. We use TS and group up into separate channels for each squad/platoon/role and in each channel there are leaders who communicate to other leaders who also get orders from command. We are a coordinated force consisting of Armor, RRT, Stealth, Ground, and Air platoons. Give me another game where you can do this and REALLY simulate war and not just blindly running around killing people where there are hotspots on the map.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

A PS1 vet that wouldn't even try PS2 because of thoughts about a confusing pay model?

Please.

2/10 on troll meter.  Next time, claim you downloaded... tried... but THEN found model to problematic.

• beerwigbeerwig Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Zinzan

PS1 vet out

I can log on right now with my lvl 1 toon and pwn any lvl 20.They might have a slight advantage as far as better armor,but there is no "best gun".Maybe you should learn to play ,and quit blaming your lack of skill on someone else having a "better gun".

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    if you spent $15 a month on station cash, you could buy every weapon for your faction in pretty short order. or you can look at what weapons are good, what fits your playstyle, and spend almost not money on it. i spent $10 and i'm doing fantastic. the only reason i'd buy sc from them again is to support the game.
  • furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Originally posted by furidiam The main issue with the "just buy" it attitude, is what happens next month when the shiny new more powerful gun comes out? That is the trap of FTP games. I like PS2, but the FTP model destroys it for me. I still play it but for free and as a time waster, not a serious mmo. Having me "pay" for a item destroys the fun for me. I resubbed to eve online last week and it is so far going great. At least in that game I can ignore the cash shop since I do not leave my ship on purpose:)
    Its already happend, they released new guns.  I was looking at the carbine.  Exxactly the same as the cash shop one i got, which was not better than the stock one, but was more tuned to closer range combat, which i prefer.

In fact the new shiney gun was worse in rate of fire with no noticable payoff.  However i think it had more cert upgrade options. I not interested in versatility in upgrades because i want mine close range tuned, which it already is...so it offerd me no additional benefits..certainly not making my current one obsolete.

Guns are side grades.  Tuned towards a specific use, while your starter gun is decent at it all.  Its optional.

Really $15 is all you need, which is dirt cheap for a game like this.  Just get two guns and a camo with it.  If your really paranoid about them releasing a gun you want in the future then play it for free (personally i have issues with using/taking stuff without paying i consider it stealing after a certain point)

Anyway...kids are crying its pay to win because they refuse to pay for their entertainment, and they see other guns out there, and they assume that getting that gun will turn them pro.  They are in for one RUDE awakening once they get that 1000 certs and buy that new gun and realize they are still just as bad as before they had it.

Its nothing pay to win....well i could consider rocket pods on your light aircraft the only real pay to win, and even at that its not easy to win in them.

Basically if your stressing spending $5-$15 on a game...gaming shouldnt be a priority for you.  You have larger problems out there than a game that asks for compensation for the work put forth creating entertainment.  

well I did say I subbed to Eve online, so i do not think money was the issue I have with PS2. It is more along the lines of "fun". I do not find it fun to buy my gear with cash. This is a personal preference and nothing against PS2.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Only thing I see in the OP is QQ. Seriously... never played the game and you call it P2W? Everything is based off of what you read? There is absolutely NO WAY you could read and understand how much more effective a person who pays is over a free player... I assure you that there IS NO DIFFERENCE that can be seen. Money simply does NOT make you stronger, but go ahead and believe what you want just know that you kinda sound like a whiner... which is what we don't need in the game. As for bugs and hacks... what bugs? And I have yet to witness any hacks, they get dealt with so quickly. Performance issues that people may be experiencing are NOT bugs... the game is massive... you see any other FPSs pulling this off cause I sure in the hell don't.

It's hard to sound internet-hip when you misuse the term QQ.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind; no interest in this P2W game full of aimbotters and, as evidenced in this thread, people I have no interest gaming alongside.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

I've read a lot of info on the forums, and it fits my definition of P2W, which is not good for a PvP game, especially one with known flaws/bugs/hacks. F2P in my opinion also shows lack of confidence for a title.

If SOE were smart, they'd offer options to appeal to more customers. Offer a gold server with sub and no cash shop. I'd sign up for that. If the server doesn't pay for itself, shut it down. No big loss.

Less options = less customers. I doubt I am the only one uninterested in the F2P model.

The second you said you have not played I stopped reading. I would of given a shit if you had played but everything you say is void.

Also means one less troll in the PS2 community.

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137

Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Only thing I see in the OP is QQ. Seriously... never played the game and you call it P2W? Everything is based off of what you read? There is absolutely NO WAY you could read and understand how much more effective a person who pays is over a free player... I assure you that there IS NO DIFFERENCE that can be seen. Money simply does NOT make you stronger, but go ahead and believe what you want just know that you kinda sound like a whiner... which is what we don't need in the game.

As for bugs and hacks... what bugs? And I have yet to witness any hacks, they get dealt with so quickly. Performance issues that people may be experiencing are NOT bugs... the game is massive... you see any other FPSs pulling this off cause I sure in the hell don't.

It's hard to sound internet-hip when you misuse the term QQ.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind; no interest in this P2W game full of aimbotters and, as evidenced in this thread, people I have no interest gaming alongside.

...It's not P2W, simple as that. By your logic BF3 is P2W since you can buy all the guns with real money, nevermind the fact that EVERY single weapon can be unlocked without spending a single cent on them. It's the same in PS2 with the exception that you can pick the gun you want. You have a rather poor attitude and I believe I speak for most of us when I say that we have no interest in gaming alongside you, as evidence in your blatant disregard for facts and spreading of misinformation.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by ignore_me

THIS GAME IS NOT PAY TO WIN

PLANETSIDE 2 IS NOT PAY TO WIN

Yes it is.  You pay for an aimbot and you win.

The Enlightened take things Lightly