Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO up for pre-order on gamestop.com

Comments

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

Not pre-ordering anything, not supporting any press-release or blind fanboism until after playing OB (without paying for it. If not possible, I will just wait). This applies to any game, I decide what I like and what I don't - not forums, not reviews.

That being said, the 3faction rvr and the segregated realms is what brings me good memories, so that's drawing my attention to this title (I couldn't care less how coherent with the lore is, I don't like elder scrolls games anyways so I have no prior knowledge or expectations there).

WIll sit and watch, with my bucket full of popcorns.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I think a lot of people are waiting until more information is out (more gameplay vids especially) before committing themselves to the game. As for me, I will buy it. I'm a fan of the ES series and the reviews from those who played the demo have been positive. I will not do any pre-orders. Once they give a release date, I'll buy it. And I'd prefer to buy it direct from Bethesda as a download.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    From what I've read, TESO isn't that much different from SWTOR. I won't be surprised if it ends up being another post-WoW disappointment.

How can people talk complete bs like its fact?

How is a game with 3 faction large scale world pvp, realtime combat, none restrictive classes, limited skill slots, no enemy tagging etc, said to be "not that much different from SWTOR"?

I can understand people getting worried over megaservers, phasing and areas being exclusive to faction, but making out its just going to be a generic wow cclone like tor was when that clearly isnt the case is boggling to me

Deleted, posted twice
  • LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93

the development cost was and is very high on this one, so I am sure it will have a subscription fee

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Lizardone

the development cost was and is very high on ths one, so I am sure it will have a subscription fee

That's a good thing and means all people who have sworn they will never pay a sub for any MMO again won't be playing. At least we won't have to put up with the worse fanbase of any MMO to date.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by deakon
    From what I've read, TESO isn't that much different from SWTOR. I won't be surprised if it ends up being another post-WoW disappointment.

How is a game with 3 faction large scale world pvp, realtime combat, none restrictive classes, limited skill slots, no enemy tagging etc, said to be "not that much different from SWTOR"?

I can understand people getting worried over megaservers, phasing and areas being exclusive to faction, but making out its just going to be a generic wow cclone like tor was when that clearly isnt the case is boggling to me

It's not entirely bullshit, and the reason I say that specifically in regards to the Star Wars game is the information that's been released in regards to developers wanting to create another story driven questing system. When people hear or read that, and then see information about a modified version of the hero engine, it's really hard not to be reminded of that terrible, terrible thing that was done which we're not supposed to talk about, but some of us still are anyway (you know what I mean).

Despite what you've mentioned, that there's going to be three faction PvP (restricted to a centralized location on the map), real time combat without enemy tagging (which isn't entirely true itself, tab targetting received a visual upgrade), and a few other things that might actually differentiate TES from other MMO's in a miniscule-enough-it-doen't-even-matter sort of way, I can't really blame people for justifying their lack of enthusiasm by calling it something which it may or may not actually be.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

If the game is anything but B2P, I will not be playing it.

The subscription model is restrictive and obstructive, and perhaps the biggest con this side of the 2008 financial crisis.

Developers have proven that they cannot be trusted to create or operate reasonable F2P models without branching into the P2W arena.

As a long term MMO gamer, and a staunch critic of the genre as a whole, I sincerely hope that TESO takes a note out of ArenaNet's book and helps to break open the genre with a B2P payment model.

lol awesome.  Good one.  

My favorite quote in a while.  Keep it real!

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

By no means do I mean this rudely but you are all crazy....

This games worth 60$ easy. i RARELY EVER dropped a AAA mmorpg before a month (SWTOR LOL). Even if I do I probably put 60 hours into it and in my opinion thats well worth it. I make that 60$ back in half a day at work.

ONE OF THE BEST RPG MAKERS EVER YO!!!!

/OPTIMISM

SIGN ME UP!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

While I do plan to give the game a chanse and try it out I will do in beta or free trial.

There have been far too many warning clocks around this game for me to just buying it with current information.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

By no means do I mean this rudely but you are all crazy....

This games worth 60$ easy. i RARELY EVER dropped a AAA mmorpg before a month (SWTOR LOL). Even if I do I probably put 60 hours into it and in my opinion thats well worth it. I make that 60$ back in half a day at work.

ONE OF THE BEST RPG MAKERS EVER YO!!!!

/OPTIMISM

SIGN ME UP!

You mean Bethesda? They aren't behind this one.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Please for the love of god, dont pre order or buy this game. Please. It will be crap, just like the slew of clones you bought that you no longer play/bitch about daily on these boards.

Want a good MMO? Stop buying rubbish and eventually, we will stop being served rubbish.

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

It's not entirely bullshit, and the reason I say that specifically in regards to the Star Wars game is the information that's been released in regards to developers wanting to create another story driven questing system. When people hear or read that, and then see information about a modified version of the hero engine, it's really hard not to be reminded of that terrible, terrible thing that was done which we're not supposed to talk about, but some of us still are anyway (you know what I mean).

Despite what you've mentioned, that there's going to be three faction PvP (restricted to a centralized location on the map), real time combat without enemy tagging (which isn't entirely true itself, tab targetting received a visual upgrade), and a few other things that might actually differentiate TES from other MMO's in a miniscule-enough-it-doen't-even-matter sort of way, I can't really blame people for justifying their lack of enthusiasm by calling it something which it may or may not actually be.

If story content is the only reason you call is a swtor clone then gw2 is also a swtor clone as is tsw and as will be many more mmo's to come, because story isnt a bad thing in and of itselfe

The game ISNT using the hero engine, or even a heavily modified version of it, theyre using an engine they created specifically for this game, they only licensed the hero engine so they could start designing the game while their engine wasnt ready (much like bioware used the aurora to start building swtor before they had an mmo engine to use)

Like I say if 3 faction pvp, real time combat, deep progression, no tagging etc etc etc doesnt make it majorly different from swtor/wow then nothing willl because the only thing that seems like swtor is that there is a story (which lets be honest all mmos have a story) and its voiced, and if thats the only thing that you can use to claim "swtor clone" then 99% of all single games since the 90's are swtor clones and most theme park mmo's moving forward will be too

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

If story content is the only reason you call is a swtor clone then gw2 is also a swtor clone as is tsw and as will be many more mmo's to come, because story isnt a bad thing in and of itselfe

The game ISNT using the hero engine, or even a heavily modified version of it, theyre using an engine they created specifically for this game, they only licensed the hero engine so they could start designing the game while their engine wasnt ready (much like bioware used the aurora to start building swtor before they had an mmo engine to use)

Like I say if 3 faction pvp, real time combat, deep progression, no tagging etc etc etc doesnt make it majorly different from swtor/wow then nothing willl because the only thing that seems like swtor is that there is a story (which lets be honest all mmos have a story) and its voiced, and if thats the only thing that you can use to claim "swtor clone" then 99% of all single games since the 90's are swtor clones and most theme park mmo's moving forward will be too

It doesn't, sorry, and like I already stated, the three faction PvP is tied to a centralized, hub-like location on the map, the "deep progression" you're talking about is another long line of questing stories, and the real time combat is still just a glorified tab targetting system.

So, no, it isn't different enough. It's the same amount of bullshit developers have been creating for over ten years in the genre, with some new added gimmicks that no one except a few uniformed individuals, who I might add enjoy detailing these features in such a light they almost sound interesting, are going to find fulfilling beyond a month to three. And, yes, they have been using the hero engine, a heavily modified version they themselves have been creating, using it much like a white board, as described by Joystiq.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

It doesn't, sorry, and like I already stated, the three faction PvP is tied to a centralized, hub-like location on the map, the "deep progression" you're talking about is another long line of questing stories, and the real time combat is still just a glorified tab targetting system.

So, no, it isn't different enough. It's the same amount of bullshit developers have been creating for over ten years in the genre, with some new added gimmicks that no one except a few uniformed individuals, who I might add enjoy detailing these features in such a light they almost sound interesting, are going to find fulfilling beyond a month to three. And, yes, they have been using the hero engine, a heavily modified version they themselves have been creating, using it much like a white board, as described by Joystiq.

How is progression just another long line of questing stories? Its skill based. the more you use a skill/weapon/armor type the more that skill/weapon/armor type levels up unlocking new perks and evolving skills into a new version of that skill, and how is having to aim in order to hit anythoing tab targeting? It's not, in fact it was said in the hands on that at the moment you cant even swing and miss unless you have something in your reticle (altho you will be able in the finished version), so no its not tab targeting, you can highlight targets with tab but that will be to call out targets etc not for combat

And no the hero engine isnt being used in the game in ANY form, it was ONLY used while the built their own engine from scratch, the "whiteboard" line was saying exactly what i said regarding bioware using aurora

"You licensed HeroEngine a long time ago. What role did the Hero Engine play in the development of ESO?

We started ZeniMax Online from scratch, with no employees and no technology. We had to build everything ourselves. It takes a long time to write game engines, especially MMO engines, which are inherently more complicated than typical single-player ones. So, we decided to license the HeroEngine to give us a headstart. It was a useful tool for us to use to prototype areas and game design concepts, and it provided us the ability to get art into the game that was visible, so we could work on the game’s art style. Our plan is for ESO to be a world class MMO, with the most advanced social features found in any MMO to date – so while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind. Think of HeroEngine as a whiteboard for us – a great tool to get some ideas in the game and start looking at them while the production engine was in development."

link

Like i say only used so they could start working on the game before they develope their own engine from scratch

edit: Another quote from the same interview

"When you control the technical platform that you are developing on – by writing it yourself – you get to make all the decisions, and ensure that all features are developed with your game in mind. This makes things tighter and more stable."

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Who in his right mind would still preorder an mmorpg in these times of constant fails going on for years?

And who in his right mind would even preorder at gamestop??

• NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82
    I personally don't plan to even consider purchasing this title until at least three months have passed after it's launched, after  the hype has died down, the content locusts have run amok and moved on, and the player base stablises.  Then I'll look at the reviews and decide if it's worth trying.   Hopefully they have a 10-14 day free trial.   After the let downs that were AoC, STO, and SWTOR I'm not about to throw my money away again.  
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    It looks like you cant be an Imperial, is that true?
  • night_gamernight_gamer Member Posts: 22

I am NOT going to preorder any other game until i play the trial.

I lost so much money in the last years preordering crap games... but i've learn something: if the game have something to hide, will not have a free trial. All solid games offer a free trial before buy. Now judge for yourself.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

We started ZeniMax Online from scratch, with no employees and no technology. We had to build everything ourselves. It takes a long time to write game engines, especially MMO engines, which are inherently more complicated than typical single-player ones. So, we decided to license the HeroEngine to give us a headstart. It was a useful tool for us to use to prototype areas and game design concepts, and it provided us the ability to get art into the game that was visible, so we could work on the game’s art style. Our plan is for ESO to be a world class MMO, with the most advanced social features found in any MMO to date – so while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind. Think of HeroEngine as a whiteboard for us – a great tool to get some ideas in the game and start looking at them while the production engine was in development."

I call bullshit on this so much, why would you licence a redundant engine, Program and create incompatible assets to be used in your "Real" engine?

A better question would be why zenimax, the parent company of bethesda didnt use the gamebyro engine which they already own to "prototype" their ideas?

No! my speculative vision of the truth is they were on board with the hero engine until they got the massive negative feedback and stigma that came from the swtor implementation. And therefor distanced them selves accordingly.

Of course i cant prove any of that, But im sure its at least plausible to many people.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I want to see what folks are saying about the beta before I even beging to go pre order route.  I am a little surpise we not heard anything official about it going on sale. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Nitth

I call bullshit on this so much, why would you licence a redundant engine, Program and create incompatible assets to be used in your "Real" engine?

A better question would be why zenimax, the parent company of bethesda didnt use the gamebyro engine which they already own to "prototype" their ideas?

No! my speculative vision of the truth is they were on board with the hero engine until they got the massive negative feedback and stigma that came from the swtor implementation. And therefor distanced them selves accordingly.

Of course i cant prove any of that, But im sure its at least plausible to many people.

This game has been in development for five years. TOR came out less than a year ago. They couldn't have developed their own engine this fast.

Also, using a different engine for a prototype is not that strange, because you can use parts of that prototype (art, meshes, UI design, etc.) in the final project. A better question is why they mentioned Hero at all if it was only used for prototyping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_prototyping#Throwaway_prototyping

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    any idea if there is a collector's edition for pre-order?
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    We haven't even seen the game in action why would anyone want to pre-order now ? Mind boggling....
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Gonna guess sub fee, I wouldn't buy TESO if I were you though even if no sub.

Its not sub based, If I were you I would buy TESO even with a sub.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"