Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: The game where no one care even the GM's and Company

Comments

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Arcondo87

Yup its true...paradoxinteractiv's customer support is probly the worst i ever in my life had to deal with....let me explain my situation:

In salem you can buy gold or item packs...i went to town, bought a $15 pioneer pack, i recieved it in mail so i went to my mail box to get it. Got to my mail box removed the gift box to my inventory. At that point a BEAR killed me! A Bear kited into town by annother player that killed everyone and in turn everyones chars were looted. This included my brand new not even opend $15 pioneer pack.

So i then went back to town after i died with nothing just a bare char to record this on video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9S7tIiOJdc&feature=plcp

I then went to the forums to report this and ask that i get a new pack since i never recieved mine, or my money be refunded...much to my astonishment i was greeted by a Mod named Sevenless...who basically told me to fuck off and grow up cuz its your fault not ours. Also stated there is nothign that can be done and to contact paradox via email.

He then said its liek buying a pair of underwear and shitting in them and bringing them back to a store....sorry but that dosnt sound anythgin like what has happend to me considering i didnt even OPEN the package and it happend IN STORE(town) He also said its a clever, smart way of ppl robbing chars since salem has no way to stop city bear killing from happening....

I then went to find a phone number to contact them but guess what NO WHERE do they have a support phone number just a email...

I feel that i have been robbed of 15 dollers from this company for there incompatance for adressing this issue. And the fact that i didnt even get to OPEN my pack or leave town....

In conclusion...Salem a game where no one gives a shit even the GM's...we take your money and laugh...

and i thought WarZ was bad.

The timing of the bear attack was unfortunate, but I suspect another player was ofc griefing.

However common sense should have prevailed here, you see a bear being kited into town, you can't kill it yet your still trying to get your mail! why didn't you run? why didn't you hide? this game is supposed to be Hardcore yet you seem to be under the impression that you where safe, oh and why on earth buy anything from a cash shop in a full loot game, thats just bonkers.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Larsa

Funny OP, complaining about losing loot in a full loot game. :)

And you got quite some other things wrong as well:

1. The bear didn't kill you, he knocked you out.
    2. The moderator wasn't Sevenless but Staxjax. And forum moderators aren't customer support anyway.
    3. You claim you never received the package but you also claim you had the package in your inventory.

Correction:

- he said he received the package but never opened it.

Maybe you sould read more carefully in the future?

My opinion to the whole situation and from what I saw in the beta myself:

- the so called "company" seems to be just a bunch of indie developers that are trying to make a buck by exploiting their own game themselves.

Why?

- Because bought items like the OPs packages SHOULDN'T be lootable or tradeable

The approach they have taken encourages harrassing and stealing from other players.

This will make the game end up with people that are only going around trying to backstab others in the hope that the backstabbed ones had item shop items they can loot.

Due to this a real community can't grow in this game cause no one ever can trust each other or build something together.

It's a great playland for immature people though that can immediately get "revenge" on you when they feel like it after you said something they disliked it, only because they are too selfish to accept any critisism against their bad behaviour.

I was only asked by 2 people if I would like to join them in the open but I didn't.

Just checked around what is possible to do with the game and it was nice to see that it gives quite a few possibilities there.

The base of the mechanics is good, the design over it is bad and a developer that says "item shop items are lootable", promoting and encouraging "bad blood" between players is plain unprofessional and greedy.

It's obvious that they are only behind the fast money for as long as people will purchase something, in game that they know themselves that with these mechanics can't survive long.

Should they think otherwise, then they are even more unprofessional then I thought they are.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

That is the craziest/silliest thing I've seen in a while (MMO related). One of the problems with having a cash shop in a MMO with full loot.

Just a fundamentally bad combination, isn't it?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

@OP the mods response was pretty funny but besides that you got killed by an in game exploit.

You should not be able to get killed in those towns yet someone figured out how to train a mob into the town then probally hide in a building wait for the bear to kill all the noobs jump back out kill the bear loot all the noob gear...

I know its a ffa PVP game with full loot infact i love those type of games, but if its suppose to be a safe area it should be.

They should just not allow you to get killed in the starter towns :(

Anyway hope you manage to get it sorted. In the future i would not be paying for anything in their cash shop even if they do sort it for you this time..

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Surely the first rule when *choosing* to play this model of game, knowing *full well* the rule set and full well the kind of player it's gonna attract is to be ultra paranoid in all things? Wouldn't getting the fuck outta the way of charging bears fall under that general area?

I don't care if the panties were in an unopened box or being waved from the end of a 10' pole, you claimed them into a lootable space in a game designed to allow other players to seperate you from them.

I suspect you don't have the mental fortitude or general mindset for this type of game OP... best choose another I think.

I cannot feel sorry for people that choose to go into a game and then complain about the ruleset after. There are obviously fundamental questions you should have been asking before spending real money. The onus is on you, not the company IMO.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

I lol'd hard when they started debating the ramifications of a bear being lured into a store in real life. I died at "bears will be bears" rofl

But as far as the OP's topic goes, he called ArenaNet crooks on a forum that was referred to in the thread I'm posting on, and white-knight fanboyism article D, subsection 1-13 in the foreign forums conduct states that I must defend thy honor through infraction or suspension. So be the will of The Six, The Eternal Alchemy, The Spirits of the Wild, The Mother Tree, and the High Legions.  

I would not refund pioneering pack to OP. 

Originally posted by Vesavius

Surely the first rule when *choosing* to play this model of game, knowing *full well* the rule set and full well the kind of player it's gonna attract is to be ultra paranoid in all things? Wouldn't getting the fuck outta the way of charging bears fall under that general area?

I don't care if the panties were in an unopened box or being waved from the end of a 10' pole, you claimed them into a lootable space in a game designed to allow other players to seperate you from them.

I suspect you don't have the mental fortitude or general mindset for this type of game OP... best choose another I think.

I cannot feel sorry for people that choose to go into a game and then complain about the ruleset after. There are obviously fundamental questions you should have been asking before spending real money. The onus is on you, not the company IMO.

but your not suppose to be able to get killed in the starter towns.. it would be totally different if that was not the case..

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Skipping 99% of the crap threads that have followed the OP, this is my thought.

Stuff purchased with real world money from the store should NOT be lootable, from a business standpoint it's insane to try to convince people to purchase stuff with their hard earned money that they can lose anytime, anywhere for any reason.

It sounds like they didn't plan for bears coming into town, but , their egos are so big they have just decided to role with it.

lastly, I'm guessing the people showing up and defending this game probably are somehow associated with Salem.

I played this game for about 2 hours while waiting for GW2 to release.  I had played the first Salem and thought it sounded interesting.  I would say the game reminded me of someone who ate a bunch of burritos, craped them out and called it a game.  The graphics are terrible, the mechanics are terrible unless of course you don't have a real life job and prefer instead to have an online job of a migrant farm worker.

Originally posted by Caldrin

but your not suppose to be able to get killed in the starter towns.. it would be totally different if that was not the case..

Looking at that thread though it was obviously well known that this was happening on an ongoing basis, so the smart aware player should really be taking that into account, especially with real money items involved.

In a wider sense though... I have a feeling that this game is gonna provide me with almost as much ongoing forum entertainment as EvE and MO do as a non player.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Too funny OP.  My question?  Why does a game in beta have a cash shop?

because money

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by tristanryan

3. Freedom of Speech, which was extremely important in colonial America, is currently allowed.

lol

Looking at that thread though it was obviously well known that this was happening on an ongoing basis, so the smart aware player should really be taking that into account, especially with real money items involved.

In a wider sense though... I have a feeling that this game is gonna provide me with almost as much ongoing forum entertainment as EvE and MO do as a non player.

haha true true.. tho he might have been new and never read the forums..

Tho thinking about it is Salem still in beta? if so how on earth are they even selling items for real money for a game thats not even released yet..?

haha true true.. tho he might have been new and never read the forums..

Tho thinking about it is Salem still in beta? if so how on earth are they even selling items for real money for a game thats not even released yet..?

Even in beta they need to keep those bears fed.

• FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Arcondo87

In salem you can buy gold or item packs...i went to town, bought a $15 pioneer pack, i recieved it in mail so i went to my mail box to get it. Got to my mail box removed the gift box to my inventory. At that point a BEAR killed me! A Bear kited into town by annother player that killed everyone and in turn everyones chars were looted. This included my brand new not even opend $15 pioneer pack.

He then said its liek buying a pair of underwear and shitting in them and bringing them back to a store....sorry but that dosnt sound anythgin like what has happend to me considering i didnt even OPEN the package and it happend IN STORE(town) He also said its a clever, smart way of ppl robbing chars since salem has no way to stop city bear killing from happening....

Hahaha, sorry but the account of what happened to you and the guy's response is hilarious. It is more like you ordered a pair of underwear, and the mail guy delivered it to you, then punched you in the face, took a dump in the undewear (destroying it), and then ran off yelling "sucker!".

I'll be staying clear of this game - have heard more crap, like your event, elsewhere.

Seems to me like you are exactly the kind of gamer that is responsible for continual decline in MMO's.  I hope this happens to you .. I will /laugh .  Imo the response by the mod was distasteful, and disgraceful. I could see the issue  having trouble being solved    without any proof but the way he responded  is ridiculous. I dont think its the least bit funny.

Farstryder,

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

This game is a scam that was designed to take your money. I already called this game out as a scam when it was announced way back.

You got duped, and while I don't feel what they're doing is morally correct and agree that this company should be held accountable, you're always going to find people taking advantage of people. You need to be careful with your money IRL or you're going to get robbed, and in this case you got robbed by Salem by actually forking money over to this scamming scheme disguised as a sandbox title.

There were so many signs this game was a scam, just by looking at screenshots. But after I tried the beta and saw the product, I was actually concerned about malware being left on my computer after the uninstall.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

please stop saying he was killed, death in salem is perminate.  the bear only knocks out a person who has less then 50 blackbile with fear (which is typically what nails new players. as the fear is an AOE) even porting home you can be KOed but its no differant then  being hit by a bear in the wild which has happened to me while afk behind double walls. 

that said, the devs have disabled mobs from attacking in town or something so this issue is dead now. but alot of people have been hit by it or the turkey agro in houses. as i have said do not AFK ingame in boston or anything. if you must afk do so in your own safe area far away from players. or log out... which is ultimately the safest thing

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

Sounds like a game I would try, but the mods response and the community response, was and is outrageous.

Guess I will be staying away from this one.

• EtahEvolEtahEvol Member Posts: 28

Agree with shorty. The Mod acts like a total prick and the community isn't much better. I played this game briefly and didn't care for it anyway so the point is moot.

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    After what I have read and seen, Paradox is not getting even a dime from me. Thanks to the OP for the information.

• mienja99mienja99 Member UncommonPosts: 12

As a gamer of many years and particpant in MANY, many beta phases of game development, I've ALWAYS been one to READ about the game on the main site AND the forums BEFORE putting ANY of my money to a character. ESPECIALLY in a Beta phase. Wow can you be any less careful with your money? I knew before logging on what type of game it was and not to spend any cash on a character until I KNEW how to protect that investment. It is YOUR fault you logged into a BETA game and spent money. Who does that? Pays cash for lootableitems in a beta game of this type? o.O

It's truly NOT that hard to figure out the game THEN if you still feel the need, spend money on silver that is just as easy to get by stomping on a few crickets.

In a Beta phase the FIRST thing you remember is IT IS BETA

DO NOT SPEND MONEY in a game like this unless you KNOW how to protect what you bought.

The game has since solved many of the issues with griefing in town. I've not had a problem yet but then again, I READ THE FORUMS FIRST so I would KNOW how to be more CAREFUL. :D

The game itself is VERY engaging once you get used to the game play. People should PLAY the BETA and not be so squeemish, lol. It's truly a BLAST in  my honest opinion.

ALSO....important to note...the items  you buy nearly all of them are able to get ingame later. You will not suffer game play later because you lost a pack you frivolously bought and lost on your first day in Salem. Sorry your experience was so bad, OP, but YOU SHOULD read the forums and about the game FIRST then decide whether to LEARN the game first THEN spend real world cash on it.

• Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    After watching that video for 90 seconds, I'm more stunned you spent 15 bucks on that game...  It looks like the game COST 15 to make....was it made in 1982?
    Originally posted by Darklighter1
    After watching that video for 90 seconds, I'm more stunned you spent 15 bucks on that game...  It looks like the game COST 15 to make....was it made in 1982?

IT IS FREE or can you not read? IT was his choice to spend that. The game is super and isn't for gamers who like to hop on a shiny steed the first day carrying some huge sword to swing at lame mobs.

BEWARE the Salem BUNNIES!  Great game really and worth a try for a game of a different sort.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    You can't kill a bear?  Just last week a bear was coming out of hibernation by my house (IRL) and attacked me.  I killed him with my bear hands. 
  • MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127

The game is free to try while in Beta.  Thers is NO good reason to spend any money.  It is VERY PVP.  Mobs can knock you out, players can knock you out or kill you.  Its full loot and you lose all your skill if you are killed.

The crafting can be fun if you can find some PVP players to hide behind.  Most PVP players hate to craft so they are always looking for new players to do the crafting.  That said, there is also alot of players that like to gank new players.  Don't cry to much if you are killed before you find a home. You have not lost anything but a little time.

The first thing any new player should do is check the forums and look for a city to join.  A good city can supply the needed items for raising a players skill high enough to PVP or craft.  That is how the PVP keeps going.   PVPer gets killed, the city gives him enough itmes to get him back into the fight.  Maybe three or four down days tops.  Most of that time is spent in the forums telling how they were killed and talking big.

As to the OP,  wrong place at the wrong time.  Nothing lost that a city has plenty of extras of.

This is not a solo play type of game.  PVPers search for hours, or days,  looking for anybody dumb enough to try.  The soloers never last long.

Originally posted by Darklighter1

Well I take it you're not a minecraft fan either then. These graphics are just a DIFFERENT graphic style. Many people like minecraft and it is ALL BLOCKY and meant to be graphically simple. This is another game that is busting out with new graphic and game play style. It isnt necessarily for everyone but I've played MOST of the HUGE games out there and find this one has great playability. It is quite HUMOURously fun with it's unique styling.