Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: The game where no one care even the GM's and Company

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by tristanryan
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

The actual thread is even funnier. You can read it here. The second post in the thread is the forum mod giving him the company's support email address, but that's not enough for the OP and he keeps going. :)

image I know a lot more about this game than I did before.

"looting people in a place where you can't aggro and kill them is total bullshit." Quote from the thread - sounds like failure game mechanic in starterville.

Bro, honestly. One griefer probably spent hours trying to kite that bear to Boston and a few people got knocked out, not death, and you will discount the whole game (and boy is there a lot to this game) because of one player messing around? With one click of the mouse you can instantly port back to your settlement...

Will the mechanic of people kiting bears to Boston and getting players knocked out be changed? More than likely of course, the game is in beta after all.

One of the best parts about this game is the lead dev (there arent many) has a vision and isnt afraid to completely shoot down terrible ideas from players that dont know any better or anything about game design. He even held a Q&A in boston, and at the end of the presentation, he spawned hundreds of snakes and many, many people got knocked out, which is exactly what happened to the OP of this post. Immature? Maybe. Funny? Absolutely. Do we finally have a dev with balls and not under so many chains they cannot show it? Definitely.

I think a lot of you would really enjoy the game if you give it a chance. After a few days you will understand why the graphics are the way they are. Its pretty deep, imo.

From reading the linked thread, it sounds like some folks lead wildlife into town non-stop. Buying from a cash shop in any game's beta is bogus IMO. From reading more of the OP's posts, sounds like he has a problem with cash shops and failing in general.

Maybe I'll take a look at it after a few patches. I enjoy a good open crafting game.

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by erictlewis

All I can says is best be carefull in that game.  Meanwhile I stay far far away.  It looked like junk when they were trying to give away beta keys, and decided at that point I wanted nothing to do with it. 

I agree, gotta be careful in this game. But you lost me after that..

You have been around here since 2008 and you consider a game "junk" when beta keys are handed out...?...ok.

Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Arcondo87

In salem you can buy gold or item packs...i went to town, bought a $15 pioneer pack, i recieved it in mail so i went to my mail box to get it. Got to my mail box removed the gift box to my inventory. At that point a BEAR killed me! A Bear kited into town by annother player that killed everyone and in turn everyones chars were looted. This included my brand new not even opend $15 pioneer pack.

He then said its liek buying a pair of underwear and shitting in them and bringing them back to a store....sorry but that dosnt sound anythgin like what has happend to me considering i didnt even OPEN the package and it happend IN STORE(town) He also said its a clever, smart way of ppl robbing chars since salem has no way to stop city bear killing from happening....

Hahaha, sorry but the account of what happened to you and the guy's response is hilarious. It is more like you ordered a pair of underwear, and the mail guy delivered it to you, then punched you in the face, took a dump in the undewear (destroying it), and then ran off yelling "sucker!".

The actual thread is even funnier. You can read it here. The second post in the thread is the forum mod giving him the company's support email address, but that's not enough for the OP and he keeps going. :)

"looting people in a place where you can't aggro and kill them is total bullshit." Quote from the thread - sounds like failure game mechanic in starterville.

Bro, honestly. One griefer probably spent hours trying to kite that bear to Boston and a few people got knocked out, not death, and you will discount the whole game (and boy is there a lot to this game) because of one player messing around? With one click of the mouse you can instantly port back to your settlement...

Will the mechanic of people kiting bears to Boston and getting players knocked out be changed? More than likely of course, the game is in beta after all.

One of the best parts about this game is the lead dev (there arent many) has a vision and isnt afraid to completely shoot down terrible ideas from players that dont know any better or anything about game design. He even held a Q&A in boston, and at the end of the presentation, he spawned hundreds of snakes and many, many people got knocked out, which is exactly what happened to the OP of this post. Immature? Maybe. Funny? Absolutely. Do we finally have a dev with balls and not under so many chains they cannot show it? Definitely.

I think a lot of you would really enjoy the game if you give it a chance. After a few days you will understand why the graphics are the way they are. Its pretty deep, imo.

Irony.  Pissing off your player base = good game design?

Are you serious? I think you misunderstood what i was trying to convey, but whatever.

• DidelphusDidelphus Member UncommonPosts: 12

Was actually very intrigued by this game, but I couldn't get past the graphics and movement of my opening, buck naked start area. Quite glad now. Wizardry seems to be the same harsh, rage quit inducing attempt at being "outside of the box."

Odds are, despite their obviously troll like sadism and that of their support help, they will banhammer chat and any minor thing they consider an exploit that favors the player.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101
    But... This is how the game works, go play something else if you think the game is bad. 

Originally posted by Didelphus

Was actually very intrigued by this game, but I couldn't get past the graphics and movement of my opening, buck naked start area. Quite glad now. Wizardry seems to be the same harsh, rage quit inducing attempt at being "outside of the box."

Odds are, despite their obviously troll like sadism and that of their support help, they will banhammer chat and any minor thing they consider an exploit that favors the player.

Download the Ender client (extremely simple) and try it once more.

You may possibly thank me later...

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Oh. My. God. Aahahahahhaa! Guise, seriously! Read his topic at the salem forums it's seriously hilarious. Seriously guise!

http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2482

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

do you mean this thread? where you and some other guy fly off the handle which causes the thread to degrade in to trolling and flaming??

http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2482

cause honestly you get what you pay for... salem much like haven and hearth have its decent players and its Aholes.  never EVER afk in an area outside of your own claim. its just stupid if people can they will abuse legitimate game mechanics to screw people. 

sorry you lost the money and the box but that is salem... dont think you will get squat back as it is a legitimate game mechanic that KOed you (and no you didnt get killed you got KOed as permadeath would mean you lost the RMT item and the toon thankfully no animals can perma kill you in salem yet)

iv had people try this stunt on me using a beaver. unfortunately for them i killed it and took the hide. but they had already KOed and looted about 5 "noobs" toons. 

~edit~ 

seems you jumped the gun by this thread eh.. going by this one you opened not long ago

http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2510

nice that they gave it back to you. get a custom client (ender or BD) both provide a larger minimap and radar so you can see what nasties are running around you before you start to do stuff. 

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    lol at EVE its even more harsh :p

• alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135

Sorry to OP, it was me who lured the bear :)

I did kill the bear in the end though, after looting +/- 10 packages :p

We are all satoshi!
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Arcondo87

In salem you can buy gold or item packs...i went to town, bought a $15 pioneer pack, i recieved it in mail so i went to my mail box to get it. Got to my mail box removed the gift box to my inventory. At that point a BEAR killed me! A Bear kited into town by annother player that killed everyone and in turn everyones chars were looted. This included my brand new not even opend $15 pioneer pack.

He then said its liek buying a pair of underwear and shitting in them and bringing them back to a store....sorry but that dosnt sound anythgin like what has happend to me considering i didnt even OPEN the package and it happend IN STORE(town) He also said its a clever, smart way of ppl robbing chars since salem has no way to stop city bear killing from happening....

Hahaha, sorry but the account of what happened to you and the guy's response is hilarious. It is more like you ordered a pair of underwear, and the mail guy delivered it to you, then punched you in the face, took a dump in the undewear (destroying it), and then ran off yelling "sucker!".

Yea, that is great and everything.  Problem is, here you had someone interested in this type of game and they basically got ganked and screwed out of their money.   Since he got the money back perhaps he will continue to play.  But what about the Ahole ganker above, who says he screwed maybe 10 players over with his cheap"game mechanic".   Will all those players return to play and just laugh it off??

Keep losing players like this and before you know it you are a "niche" game with a bad rep.  Just like so many other Open PvP games. 

And the cycle continues.  Your wonderful dev won't mean squat!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

My thought is that one should probably know where the "real" safe zones are if there is a chance of having your body looted of items you purchased with real money.

My real concern is that GM. Very unprofessional. I'd fire him on the spot.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

My thought is that one should probably know where the "real" safe zones are if there is a chance of having your body looted of items you purchased with real money.

it wasnt a GM it was a forum mod. to be frank the OP does not understand seatribe's systems very well. 

salem is just a revamp of their haven and hearth game. which has 0 safe zones at all. and alot more ganking and griefing. 

that being said, the forum mods troll players just as much/bad as the players do. nothing you can do about it wont change.  hell the devs troll their players by spawning monsters that kill them in "boston" lol its just how it is. 

they have since set boston to disable animal attacks so this crap isnt possible, but i dont think anything will happen to the griefers who tried it. there was a few on Roa that tried the bear crap. sadly for them people tended to avoid it pretty quick so the only ones being ko'ed by it were their 6 nude alts

most will play salem thinking its a easy crafting game, and die never to play it again. its just how it is. like hnh it will be niche or shutdown nothing will change that. its just how the game is

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    I need to play this. Just discovered this gem. Finally a game where unexpected things can happen.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Too funny OP.  My question?  Why does a game in beta have a cash shop?

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

oooh this reminds me Tibia in older days... those lured giant spiders in Carlin to Venore path !!  Heart racing with the chase, then a "i will never play this game again !!! Fuckers !!!". OP got me conviced to try it !  Sorry for the loss though... when real money is  involved those things should not happen, full loot + cash shop can be a problem. 

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

Re: Reporting glitcher!

by Kaol » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:17 pm

As for OP, there is a right way about asking for a replacement item. Send a report to support and explain why you feel this was a glitch and maybe they will replace it.

Making a bitter rant on the forum and accusing the devs of being crooks because you lost some pixels is not the right way.

-------------------------------

This was a very true post in that Salem thread.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

This game is definitely not pay to win.

No indeed it is pay to lose from the sound of it, lol

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Sadly, this game has all the makings of a complete disaster.  Beau from Massively was live streaming and had to shut it down because of the terrible community standards.  He even got a dev on the stream who basically defended the players who were spouting racist and hate speech.  Now they are supporting griefers who exploit and refuse to compensate the victims.  If there was ever a game to avoid with a 100 ft pole, this is the one.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Sadly, this game has all the makings of a complete disaster.  Beau from Massively was live streaming and had to shut it down because of the terrible community standards.  He even got a dev on the stream who basically defended the players who were spouting racist and hate speech.  Now they are supporting griefers who exploit and refuse to compensate the victims.  If there was ever a game to avoid with a 100 ft pole, this is the one.

1. You obviously didnt watch the exact stream you are referring to.

2. A few hostile indians =/= terrible community and/or standards.

3. Freedom of Speech, which was extremely important in colonial America, is currently allowed.

4. They compensated the victim.

5. It wasnt an exploit, in any shape or form.

6. Pulling bears/wildlife into town to kill others has been fixed.

[mod edit]

while i havent seen this stream you speak of (link plz) id have to ask, how salem is differant from say LoL's community.. 

LoL they bash new players and throw fits that get people banned if they suck.. 

yet here people roleplay (assuming the stream is from the first server "plymouth") as natives vs the invader europians... now magically its hate speech...

i know the MM tribe on plymouth love to run around bitching about filthy squatters (its all over the offical forums) but the same time its not actual hate speech at all :/ any less then someone on LoL getting you banned for being a noob..

devs can not actually curtail the community very much anyway. iv seen good and bad communities in games all over lol.

the devs of seatribe pretty much dont care what players do in their sandbox so long as it doesnt break the rules they put out

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

1. You obviously didnt watch the exact stream you are referring to. I watched it and also am referring to Beau Hindman's own synopsis of the Developer's views. 

"I went on to give some examples, and free speech was again touted. Let this exchange be a good example to any would-be or indie developers out there: When someone is interviewing you and asks about racism, harassment, and community enforcement, don't try to sound like you're standing up for a political principle in your videogame when you admit you're allowing such behavior. Not only does free speech not apply in every single situation, but there is a difference between allowing your players to express their thoughts and feelings -- even by cursing -- and not having any sort of enforcement against extremes." - From Massively.com

2. A few hostile indians =/= terrible community and/or standards.

Again, this is the perception based on what I've experienced.  I'm sure there are some people who feel right at home in this environemnt.

3. Freedom of Speech, which was extremely important in colonial America, is currently allowed.

Terrible way to defend verbal abuse.  

4. They compensated the victim.

They did? Did they do that after he went public or did they compensate him and he went public anyway?  I missed the part where his RL purchase was restored.

5. It wasnt an exploit, in any shape or form.

Using unintended game mechanics (proven by the fact that it was 'fixed') to grief other people is, by definition, an exploit.

6. Pulling bears/wildlife into town to kill others has been fixed.

Again, proving that doing this was indeed an exploit.

7. You are wrong on all points and you should feel bad, tbh.

No, I'm not and I don't feel bad.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Ichmen
    Originally posted by Sovrath

it wasnt a GM it was a forum mod. to be frank the OP does not understand seatribe's systems very well. 

salem is just a revamp of their haven and hearth game. which has 0 safe zones at all. and alot more ganking and griefing. 

that being said, the forum mods troll players just as much/bad as the players do. nothing you can do about it wont change.  hell the devs troll their players by spawning monsters that kill them in "boston" lol its just how it is. 

they have since set boston to disable animal attacks so this crap isnt possible, but i dont think anything will happen to the griefers who tried it. there was a few on Roa that tried the bear crap. sadly for them people tended to avoid it pretty quick so the only ones being ko'ed by it were their 6 nude alts

most will play salem thinking its a easy crafting game, and die never to play it again. its just how it is. like hnh it will be niche or shutdown nothing will change that. its just how the game is

GM, forum mod, I still would have fired him.

But if that's the atmosphere they encourage then "so be it".

I would agree though, if a game is "hardcore" then one needs to make sure they know what is possible. for instance, in Lineage 2 there wasn't a way to send gear to an alt. So I would bring both my characters to one of a few secluded areas and dump what I wanted to transfer on the ground and then immediatley log in wit the other character to pick it up. Knowing full well that a player could come along, even in a secluded area and take it.

I"m still against companies acting like "one of the boys" though. It doesn't really inspire confidence.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PerramasPerramas Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I want to thank the OP for bringing this to the boards. I was going to try this game out this weekend. Now after reading this post and the other post of theSalem offical forums I will be steering clear of this game. Thank you for saving me my precious gaming time.

FUncom putting the FU in fun since 1993.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Boneserino

So you are saying that a bear can kill you in town but a player can't?   And shouldn't full loot mean that only the person who kills you can loot your body?  That would only make sense to me.

If a rabid chipmunk can kill you,  and any  Tom, Harry and Dickhead can come along and loot your body then I would be running far away from this game!  

Its what drove me out of the game as well...I was a moron and drowned while fishing...Someone else came along a looted my corpse.  No biggie but I also had my Metal forest axe from pioneer pack on me.  I will wait till the game leaves beta and there is a wipe.  Ill consider starting over then.  Its not a bad game..just harsh.   Yah..and probably not a good idea to "buy stuff " in the cash shop on a full loot game.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin