Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not just me thinks that Steam is so crap

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

here's a link to why steam doesnt care if you like it or not.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well reading through a lot of those posts it looks like most of those people have no idea about how PCs work... they are blaming steam, kind of like you where yesterday when there was actually nothing wrong with it..

but each to their own i guess we all like and hate different things for different reasons LOL..

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Here is another one on a different website: Steam is crap. Why are we forced to use it? http://www.gameskyrim.com/steam-crap-why-are-forced-use-t55217.html
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    if it is on the internet it must be true
  • sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Steam is about to support Linux soon. The only gaming business with lots of money that will support Linux on any serious level.

Steam lets you buy, manage and share the progress of your games easily.

Steam connects you with your gamer friends. Let me tell you, playing Skyrim without steam, when I can upload a screenshot to steam cloud and show it off to my best Skyrim buddy instantly or talk with him about yet another great dungeon experience I'm having in the game while in-game, just isn't the same for me anymore.

Steam workshop? Best thing to enchance your Skyrim without having to manually deal with tons of mods or third-party programs.

And more importantly: Why hate on a software you personally dislike or find unfitting for you needs, instead of just ignore it and choose not to use it? Buy your games directly, without Steam and enjoy your steamless gaming without hating on a system (a community, if you wish), that tons of other gamers worldwide love and use every day.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• ElgarLElgarL Member UncommonPosts: 191

Steam as a platform is great.

Steam for support is the crappiest I've ever seen.

That said, I'd still choose Steam over any other distribution platform. I trust Steam.

Creator of ELTank and Nostalgia

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

I love steam and i love how there going cloud and, i love how you just download the game and no need to actully install and,

i love how you can talk to friends, and i love that you can buy a game and imput key and never need to use the disk to install game,

and i love how thay do such awsum deals like 75% off games, you name any other company that can do all that.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Robokapp

could be worse.

you could have to use Origin.

Exactly.  People really do not know how good they have it until they try out the competition.

I will say that Gamestop's new steam-like service is very nice as well with some awesome deals like steam has.  It is also easy to use and very lightweight.  But nobody can match steam's selection.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Steam has becom a quite good platform for gaming, They used to havea  ultra crappy support center but they improved that extremely over the past years , still not "great" but its now amoung the ok to good range.  theres nowere you can get games more easy and cheaper currenty except on the (gold)blackmarket of gaming (Game key sellers).

Only down side is that they still dont have a fairly stupit proof account system. lost password? lost email account and dint save all those game keys to youre harddrive? well bad luck you just lost every game you had. (coud be costly)

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Im so glad you have found a futile crusade to throw your energy at. Perhaps 10 years ago you may have made a difference but I do believe youre too late to this hate party.

On a side note I cannot take anything you say seriously with an avatar like that.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I really like Steam, it suits me and dosen't cause me any problems whatsoever. I like the convienience and the pricing, and I like the fact that it gives serious 'shelf space' and exposure to indies.

I haven't even read the link the OP posted, simply because it's all irrelevant to my experience, like so much of the spewing negativity that is written by randoms on the internet.

If I personally ever have an issue with the service I will stop buying from them, I don't need to wallow in other people's contrived misery regarding Steam in the meantime.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Steam taking heat off SWTOR?
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Eladi

Only down side is that they still dont have a fairly stupit proof account system. lost password? lost email account and dint save all those game keys to youre harddrive? well bad luck you just lost every game you had. (coud be costly)

So could a house fire with no insurance if you had bought those games on disk... or theft... or a pissed off spouse...

Any way of owning games can be faulted in this way if you make the worst case scenarios.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Why are we forced to use it?

You're not.

YOU installed it, not them.

Don't like Steam?

Don't buy their products.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    Originally posted by sudo

And more importantly: Why hate on a software you personally dislike or find unfitting for you needs, instead of just ignore it and choose not to use it? Buy your games directly, without Steam and enjoy your steamless gaming without hating on a system (a community, if you wish), that tons of other gamers worldwide love and use every day.

Plenty of game, whatever brought from steam or retail forces you to use steam to play the game. I like steam though and never had a problem with it myself. Well besides sometimes the download speed being slow, even when they has been no big release/event.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

...blah blah blah "Steam sucks for futile reasons" blah blah blah...

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If they don't make you use steam they make you use one of the crappy alternatives instead like origin, gfwl or uplay

You are going to get drm on games, games makers want to make money and not have their latest expensive to make game instantly available as a bunch of pirate torrents.

At least with steam you can play offline when verified, install on multiple machines and what have you. Compare to the draconian drm of gfwl and origin that only let's you replace or upgrade your pc 3 times or that of uplay and battlenet that requires you be always online or sonys rootkits on game dvds.

We are lucky steam won the early battle and not gfwl.

Then there's all the benefits to steam like the chat channels, automatic updating of drivers, automatic game patching, the game hubs, steam workshop & Optional cloud storage.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If it's that bad, stop using it. Don't play games that require it. Move on with your life.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by sudo

Steam is about to support Linux soon. The only gaming business with lots of money that will support Linux on any serious level.

Steam lets you buy, manage and share the progress of your games easily.

Steam connects you with your gamer friends. Let me tell you, playing Skyrim without steam, when I can upload a screenshot to steam cloud and show it off to my best Skyrim buddy instantly or talk with him about yet another great dungeon experience I'm having in the game while in-game, just isn't the same for me anymore.

Steam workshop? Best thing to enchance your Skyrim without having to manually deal with tons of mods or third-party programs.

Because some people are just "Drama Queens'?  

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Aside from the usual denial queens, it mostly boils down that "it could be worse" which is true, if you consider starforce and other copy protection root-kits, or even worse, ubi-softs "protection". (doesn't mean some games still have those on top of steam).

The truth is as simple as ugly: you have no choice, and there is no reason why you couldn't but you still can't.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I don't like steam, so I don't buy products from them. It's that simple. Like steam? Buy from them. Don't like steam? Don't buy from them.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

the OP was on here yesterday complaining how crap steam was because it was saying it had no internet connection.. turned out to be his firewall blocking it.. he then blamed steam for not telling him that it was his firewall that was blocking it...

next he will blame steam for the end of the world in a few days...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Originally posted by Caldrin

the OP was on here yesterday complaining how crap steam was because it was saying it had no internet connection.. turned out to be his firewall blocking it.. he then blamed steam for not telling him that it was his firewall that was blocking it...

next he will blame steam for the end of the world in a few days...

I'm sure Steam is why DF:UW hasn't announced launching tomorrow either.  Root of all evil I tell you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Well reading through a lot of those posts it looks like most of those people have no idea about how PCs work... they are blaming steam, kind of like you where yesterday when there was actually nothing wrong with it..

but each to their own i guess we all like and hate different things for different reasons LOL..

True. Steam is great. Too bad it seems to be too "complicated" for people who only recently learnt how to use a browser. Oh well, they will learn eventually.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    To be fair, the first time I used it way back with half life 2 I thought it sucked.

But its improved since then.

And there is much much worse drm out their like games that stop working if you upgrade your pc too much or don't let you copy it to your laptop when you are going on a trip or whatever. I've learned to it up with the always on drm of say blizzard and ubisoft if the game is good enough. I won't buy games with the 3 installs and your out rule drm though.
This discussion has been closed.