Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pay once, play forever ad

DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
So as many must have noticed by now there's this secret world pay once play forever ad, with that haunting little * near it, i've checked both steam and their web site, and i still see a monthly sub based pricing, are they trying to push false marketting?

Comments

• codenam47codenam47 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    i had a look too and found nothing about this play forever business. It could be that the advert went up early? maybe funcom hasnt rolled the changes over on their website?
  • DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Guess we'll know in the coming 24 hours.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Maybe they're meaning the lifetime subscription...$250 you have a sub for life.
    That could be it Draron, though they must be a bit desperate if they advertise lifetimes, in my opinion, it's really not everyone that would spend 250$ on a game.
  • NomastreNomastre Member UncommonPosts: 1
    It's an ad probably about "lifetime subscription". You can check TSW forums for some insight.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    They're talking about it on the official forums too....http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62727
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Draron
    Maybe they're meaning the lifetime subscription...$250 you have a sub for life.

Its 200.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by rojo6934

the add + this video http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/videos/gameID/404/videoId/2815

F2P

you just got trolled by funcom.

• CrydexCrydex Member CommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Drakaden
    So as many must have noticed by now there's this secret world pay once play forever ad, with that haunting little * near it, i've checked both steam and their web site, and i still see a monthly sub based pricing, are they trying to push false marketting?

Okay, I'll point this out.

The advertisement is "Pay Once, Play Forver*"

Directly below that reads "*Terms of Service applies"

That means failure to obey the TOS will still get your account suspended or banned.  This has to be included in the add campaign. I hope I don't have to explain why that is too.

Originally posted by Crydex

Okay, I'll point this out.

The advertisement is "Pay Once, Play Forver*"

Directly below that reads "*Terms of Service applies"

That means failure to obey the TOS will still get your account suspended or banned.  This has to be included in the add campaign. I hope I don't have to explain why that is too.

A drop of condescending is eering off yer post, somehow you seems to take me for an idiot, i can read what's on the ad, and what you've just pointed out has nothing to do with what we were talking about, we were wondering what the ad was reffering to, which was a valid question.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

A change of business model would be very welcome, I think the main reason so few bought the game at launch was timing, coming between TERA and GW2, charging box price, sub and cash shop for an un-tested game style and theme was bad planning.

If that isn't what they are doing then even I will start calling them Failcom.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I think it is a joke about the end of the world, the terms would be that the world is going to end this month.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by evilastro

I think it is a joke about the end of the world, the terms would be that the world is going to end this month.

Keep a lookout on 12/12.  I think a promotion on the game might be coming for the End of Days ARG.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    B2P would be fine with me. F2P on the other hand would devastate me. Make it B2P keep the game at 30$ and you can seriously boost revenue. Add Exp boosts to the shop but nothing more and it will really help.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

or maybe some kind of AP/SP limited Trial with no time limit /shrug

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    That´s the pack I got back on release, it´s called the grandmaster lifetime pack with some items, special clothing and lifetime account (no sub ) for 199 $

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    B2P would be fine with me. F2P on the other hand would devastate me. Make it B2P keep the game at 30$ and you can seriously boost revenue. Add Exp boosts to the shop but nothing more and it will really help.

Hell make it it $60 for the promotion if it's lifetime and keep the cash shop.  They may very well keep the $200 price long term.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

AD is misleading but so is their fine print TERMS & CONDITIONS.

I clicked the link I saw no Terms & Conditions.

I also saw I had to buy the game okay so I buy it for the flat rate the game sells for I play forever that is buy once, if I have to make an additional purchase their ad is misleading big times.

I thought about trying the game again see if all their lag and bugs improved but unless its going F2P not going to try I even tried to login with my account it gives me the password error while I know my password its because its not activated not an activated error like it should. FunCom really isn't the brightest bulb on the tree.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

and at the bottom of the add it says: *Terms of service apply

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I assumed they were talking about the Lifetime Subscription.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

I just thought it was good advertising.

Paying once for a sub based game means you don't play forever, you obviously got bored after the first month.

Paying once, Play forever suggests to me the game is that addictive that you will play forever but you will keep on paying.

It's like with food, one taste and you'll be hooked.

I could be totally wrong though.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by zellmer
    [mod edit]

/facepalm

what's not to understand? there is a grandmaster pack add-on on checkout which means buy2play lifetime sub, available since launch.

or you just like to bash the little independent companies? 

You prefer EA would buy them and ruin Funcom too? I hope not because I love the game and FC is the most creative dev out there imho

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

/shrug... no game has ever been made more fun by not charging a sub and seeing as I didn't like this game enough to spend money on it there is no way I would spend my time on it.

That aside... they are coming at this from the wrong end it seems to me. Instead of dropping the sub they would be better dropping the client price and giving 2 a weeks free trial before asking for a sub.

Oh yeah, and dropping the cash shop would be a great idea as well from a PR perspective, considering the backlash that is finally starting to kick in against the 'micro' transaction model amongst consumers.

No Client cost, free trial, and charging a competitive ongoing sub would save this game IMO.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I don't think it's referring even the Grandmaster pack, with Joel's doomsayer video and the " *Terms and condition" stuff I think it's simply means: pay once (buy the box with the 30 days included) and play forever, as in 12.12.21 since after that nobody will play :)

(just a wild guess, I admit I didn't read through the terms&cond. page for changes, but honestly, they can put that one line anytime... in case of doomsday we hold the right to stop the service :) )