Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC gaming is crap these days (2012)

Comments

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

PC gaming is still the only true gaming platform.

I've had nearly every console, including everything from this generation (ps3,x360,wii) and still play on my PC 99% of the time.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Sheesh, back in the day if your local store didn't have a box copy of the game you were looking for you didn't get to play that game. Now people are whining that they have to connect to the internet! Despite the fact that nearly 100% of us are always connected.

I have no problem with steam, I have more access to more titles than ever before and they have sales all the time (which isn't good for my wallet, but great for gaming).

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Originally posted by Xsonic
    Just ask a PC guy for a fix, not too hard to find one anyway.

It's fixed but why can't steam say that someting is blocking it's connection?

It's 2012 but programs doesn't show much intelligence or self awareness and you almost have to be a computer nerd to sort some PC related troubles out.

I will stop now for everytime I make a post I have to prove that I'm a human with using that stupid crap-cha or whatever it's called so no more posts from me on mmorpg.com.

How would steam know somthing was blocknig it?

As far as Steam could tell there was just no internet connection, it is infact your Firewall software fault as that should have alerted you tell you it was blocking Steam.

Waht are you on about crap-cha? Once your logged into MMORPG thats it you can just post..

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    User error : Please insert new user.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Caldrin

It's 2012 but programs doesn't show much intelligence or self awareness and you almost have to be a computer nerd to sort some PC related troubles out.

I will stop now for everytime I make a post I have to prove that I'm a human with using that stupid crap-cha or whatever it's called so no more posts from me on mmorpg.com.

As far as Steam could tell there was just no internet connection, it is infact your Firewall software fault as that should have alerted you tell you it was blocking Steam.

Waht are you on about crap-cha? Once your logged into MMORPG thats it you can just post..

And here comes the captcha again... wtf is wrong with mmorpg.com?

Steam would know it it were a good program which it isn't and I have to fill in a captcha on almost every post to prove that I'm a human.

Correction... on every post I have to fill in the captcha.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Why are we even discussing steam on this site almost all thier games are fps, or co-op, or rpg. I think there is only 2 mmo's on steam. 

I hate steam due to the fact you got to be connected to the internet to run the games even why you have the phsical hard copy. 

There are 80 MMOs listed on Steam, but thank you for playing.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Steam is great wtf are you talking about? It's probably the best thing to ever happen to PC gaming, and no one looks out for the PC gamers more than Valve.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You don't have to be permenantly online to play skyrim. Just the first time you run it and every Month or so after that.

Now uplay (ubisofts store) and battlenet (on newer blizzard games) do require permenant online. Also things like origin (eas store) has locked people completely out of gamrs they've bought due to getting banned in multiplayer. Then there was sonys drm that provided a back door for viruses by being a rootkit and microsofts hideously unnavigable xbox style drm.

Compared to the competition steams drm is actually pretty fair and I'm glad the likes of 2k and zenimax work with it instead of making another bloody store. One good thing with steam compared to the others, in the contract there is a clause to give you the dvd isos if valve ever went bankrupt.

You will get drm on pc games, people want to make money, Blame the pirates. steam is way less draconian than the competition though as it let's you install on multiple machines and stuff (providing you only play on one at a time)

I also like gog which is drm free, but cdprojekts own games apart gog is mostly old games and a few indie games, your not going to get something like dishonoured on gog.

1 thing they need to do though, if a games on steam valve need to hassle them to remove their own drm, nothing more annoying than installing a Microsoft, ea or ubisoft game through steam and having to navigate both steam and origin/uplay/gfwl especially as they are clunkier and more draconian stores than steam.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Rusque
    Sheesh, back in the day if your local store didn't have a box copy of the game you were looking for you didn't get to play that game. Now people are whining that they have to connect to the internet! Despite the fact that nearly 100% of us are always connected.
    Pre-order from Amazon.com. And how does one play when their internet service goes down? I have yet to find a service that is up 24/7/365.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Gdemami

I dislike Steam very much.

It is no longer a service but platform and I do not like to be pushed around using things I do not have use for nor like..

Pity.

This is it for me. I HAD to go Steam and create an account when I went to a store and purchased Skyrim. It took me forever, but I finally figured out how to play Skyrim "offline" and do so now, yet I am still connecting to the Steam App.

I have the physical CD. I pop it into my PC. And I am connecting to Steam in order to play? No, thank you.

Call me old fashioned and paranoid, but I highly dislike programs that track my computer usage.

Now, I realize many people enjoy Steam and the services they offer. I am happy for them. I am highly unhappy about not having the choice about using it.

I do, however love Good Old Games (gog.com)! I actually get the games and never have to connect to GOG ever again in order to play.

image  Someone bought me a physical copy of space marine last year.  Took 3 days for steam to recognise my details(had an account for a few years btw) then another 14hrs whilst it drip fed me a patch i had no interest in.  Spent longer getting the game installed than I did playing it now it's just sitting there doing nothing.  Certain devs now seem to be using steam etc. to release unfinished products then force patch them later on.  Balls to drm.

Want to add I have no problem with steam as a retailer or even if this was an otpional extra for steam users.

And it does seem that people think that steam is the only place that ever has sales?   The over download sites, online box sellers and actual shops all have sales it's not a steam exclusive thing.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Steam would know it it were a good program which it isn't and I have to fill in a captcha on almost every post to prove that I'm a human.

You dont know what you are talking about, you want steam to diagnose problems with your computer? That is not what it is for.. it connects to the internet, if there is no connection there then it tells you, as far as it knew there was no internet as your firewall was stopping it.. At some ponit when you first run steam with that firewall i would have thought your firewall software would ahve popped up with a message like "Hey we have blocked steam from accessing the internet, do you want to keep blocking it or unlock it?"

You probally kicked keep blocking it.

IF your haiving to fill somthing out every time you post on here then there is somthing else wrong with your PC. All I have to do on any PC i use is log in using my username and password then I am free to post what I like. Maybe yuor security software is also deleting cookies on the fly or somthing so the website is not saving your details.

Kara
    Space marine is a thq game
    They use microsofts gfwl
    Caldrin
    Although steam us good for technophobes in otherways it updates your video drivers and direct x and wotnot.
    Also steamworkshop on valve, bethseda, 2k etc.. games safer than looking all over the net for mods.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

You dont know what you are talking about, you want steam to diagnose problems with your computer? That is not what it is for.. it connects to the internet, if there is no connection there then it tells you, as far as it knew there was no internet as your firewall was stopping it.. At some ponit when you first run steam with that firewall i would have thought your firewall software would ahve popped up with a message like "Hey we have blocked steam from accessing the internet, do you want to keep blocking it or unlock it?"

You probally kicked keep blocking it.

IF your haiving to fill somthing out every time you post on here then there is somthing else wrong with your PC. All I have to do on any PC i use is log in using my username and password then I am free to post what I like. Maybe yuor security software is also deleting cookies on the fly or somthing so the website is not saving your details.

I never receaved any message that steam was blocked.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

why say steam gaming is pc gaming nowadays?

in your title you complain about that "pc  gaming is crap these days"... seriously, most of my games do NOT require steam to play em. some do, and they actually work quite fine.

that's why alot of devs "only" develop on consoles, you have a set hardware and try to minimize the pebiac problem ^^

on the other hand... consoles are consoles. i will always prefer a pc to a console.

it gives me options.  and that's the prob you got, too many options, one is set wrong :)

ps: afaik portal 2 for example was released for the ps3 via steam too, so... maybe you get what i mean *G*

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    1 word

Indygamestand

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Caldrin Originally posted by DancingQueen Originally posted by Xsonic Just ask a PC guy for a fix, not too hard to find one anyway.
    It's fixed but why can't steam say that someting is blocking it's connection? It's 2012 but programs doesn't show much intelligence or self awareness and you almost have to be a computer nerd to sort some PC related troubles out. I will stop now for everytime I make a post I have to prove that I'm a human with using that stupid crap-cha or whatever it's called so no more posts from me on mmorpg.com.
    How would steam know somthing was blocknig it?   As far as Steam could tell there was just no internet connection, it is infact your Firewall software fault as that should have alerted you tell you it was blocking Steam. Waht are you on about crap-cha? Once your logged into MMORPG thats it you can just post.. And here comes the captcha again... wtf is wrong with mmorpg.com?

A good program wouldn't even be looking at your firewall settings. It would probably take a malicious program to have access to them.

It's fine to not like Steam. Lots of people don't like Steam. Blaming Steam for not knowing how Windows works and expecting Steam to behave in a way that is actually bad for you isn't going to help you with anything though. There are other games that will behave exactly the same way if you click through the popup window that asks you if you want to continue blocking the application or not. It is to your own benefit to learn how that works, and to be able to recognize these kinds of things in the future.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

I am trying to stick with consoles and handhelds, at least with games I purchase there, I can resell them when I get done playing if I choose to do so.  PC gaming nowadays is a money pit that I cannot recoup any money on with the games since the majority are on services like steam.  I will buy games though when they get really cheap, like $10 or under for the pc if it is a game I really want. 

But no way would I ever pay full or close to full retail for  any PC game nowadays.

Yeas but pc games are 33% cheaper than console games.

Plus you get mods and what have you.
    Oh and let's not forget steam sales. Check it out over Christmas for some games a few months old like say dishonoured or Xcom. No way on earth you will get a console version that cheap.
    And xbox live fees.

If you buy a lot of games pc gaming is cheaper than console gaming. Especially if you like multiplayer vs the xbox.
  • ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117
    I hate alot of things, but I LOVE Steam.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

As we continue the move into a time where the digital distribution of media such as games becomes the preferred means of acquiring the product by the majority of consumers I find STEAM to be my best alternative. I support it in preference to Windows developing Marketplace system and EA’s Origin. It is most certainly a step up from the days of STARFORCE DRM in spite of the problems some people express with the current digital distribution models.

I prefer digital to the days when I would go to GameStop or Babbages and pull a box off the shelf only to worry over if the employees had stolen the disks from the box or scratched them to bits while trying to put them back in too.

STEAM is typically problem free for me. I would suggest you get help from their technical support or a geeky-gaming friend. :)

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Steam wasn't created to teach you how to use a computer