Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Count me out

ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

After months of watching this game, and reading forums; I've decided I have no interest in their confusing pay to win model. Never downloaded the game.

I have no interest in free to play games whatsoever. Glad the genre is going there since it gives me lots more time IRL.

PS1 vet out

Kane, 1100 hours playing WoW...rofl

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah its pay to get there faster. Basicly if you pay a sub - like with planetside 1 - you earn certs faster.

There are some guns you can buy through cash shop, but they are mostly side grades. All the things that make you more powerfull are paid for with certs only e.g. c4 explosives, forward grips. You can't just buy these with cash shop. Of course the sub paying players get these sooner, but that's only right.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Arclan

After months of watching this game, and reading forums; I've decided I have no interest in their confusing pay to win model. Never downloaded the game.

I have no interest in free to play games whatsoever. Glad the genre is going there since it gives me lots more time IRL.

PS1 vet out

Wait...this is not true.  PS2 might have it's issues, but pay to win is not one of them. 

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I've read a lot of info on the forums, and it fits my definition of P2W, which is not good for a PvP game, especially one with known flaws/bugs/hacks. F2P in my opinion also shows lack of confidence for a title.

If SOE were smart, they'd offer options to appeal to more customers. Offer a gold server with sub and no cash shop. I'd sign up for that. If the server doesn't pay for itself, shut it down. No big loss.

Less options = less customers. I doubt I am the only one uninterested in the F2P model.

In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Shrugs, whatever floats your boat. If you're so jaded/ignorant that you won't even entertain the idea of trying a game because it's F2P and because random forum posters have said bad things about it, then it's probably a good time for you to take a step back from video games for awhile.
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

I've read a lot of info on the forums, and it fits my definition of P2W, which is not good for a PvP game, especially one with known flaws/bugs/hacks. F2P in my opinion also shows lack of confidence for a title.

If SOE were smart, they'd offer options to appeal to more customers. Offer a gold server with sub and no cash shop. I'd sign up for that. If the server doesn't pay for itself, shut it down. No big loss.

Less options = less customers. I doubt I am the only one uninterested in the F2P model.

I just can't understand some people, You can unlock everything in game with out buying anything and it doesn't take to long to gain points (If your any good). Why not spend cash tho? You would normaly buy the game that costs £30 or what ever, just spend that in the cash shop if your to lazy to unlock them yourself.

Whats with the Kane lol remark? I don't understand.

• furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

The main issue with the "just buy" it attitude, is what happens next month when the shiny new more powerful gun comes out? That is the trap of FTP games. I like PS2, but the FTP model destroys it for me. I still play it but for free and as a time waster, not a serious mmo.

Having me "pay" for a item destroys the fun for me. I resubbed to eve online last week and it is so far going great. At least in that game I can ignore the cash shop since I do not leave my ship on purpose:)

You can't "just buy" though. All the things that make you more powerfull are paid for with certs. And you earn certs by playing.

Now if you sub you earn certs faster.

But you can't just go into the game splash say £100 and then have some sort of uber character. It just doesn't work like that.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

THIS GAME IS NOT PAY TO WIN

You can get some better weapons faster by buying them, but if you are patient and want to stick to the F2P paradigm concerning your wallet, you can get enough certs to buy any of the weapons.

Air to Air missiles are 1000 certs. You can earn this in a reasonable amount of time if you are participating in large battles as a medic, engineer, gunning in Liberators, etc.

You might be able to say that it is Pay to have nice stuff quicker, but not Pay to Win. I honestly think this is a case of people becoming frustrated (when killed in the game) and projecting their anger at an easy target. 

PLANETSIDE 2 IS NOT PAY TO WIN

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

So OP.. let's see if i got this right.

Due to some form of noble soul as in you refusing to Pay2Win as it would be unfair to the people you face you are choosing to pass up on PS2.

That is very noble of you.

Because if it is not you are only being cheap seeing as you paid a sub for PS1 one would asume you would do the same for PS2. And if you are paying a sub the issue you bring up will not affect you negativly.

So either you are noble on the border of naive or you just want it all for free right now.

This have been a good conversation

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Teala

PS1 vet out

Wait...this is not true.  PS2 might have it's issues, but pay to win is not one of them. 

Almost any MMO with a cash shop is Pay to Win to some extent. In this game it helps you get the currency to get better weapons faster so then it is Pay to Win in that regard because time is a factor when it comes to "winning".

If it takes 1 day for someone to get the best weapon by paying and 10 days for one without paying then the first guy will be "winning" over you for 9 days. Ofcourse winning does not mean anything in ThemeParks but you get my point.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Here is A real review based on PS2 and your P2W issue. Thankfully like some of the developers here noone handed him a bunch of free stuff to support his game (Rokket-Dayz)(Pokket).  It's actually a good game my pc just has a hard time running it.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by dinams
    Originally posted by Kanester
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Im sorry, Im normaly a nice person really, It's just people like this really get on my tits. He couldn't be any more wrong.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

SOE decided, that since this is a game that NEEDS a certain number of players for optimal gameplay, then they needed the game to be as accessable as possible, hence the F2P model.  The hardware requirements already raise the bar of entry somewhat, adding another layer on top of that, a box price and/or sub, would have made it even higher.

$15 dollers is alot of money for many people nowadays, thats like dinner for 3 days for my wife and I.  Also, people's expectations are different today, the "ill just wait for it to go F2P" attitude is very strong now.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Teala

PS1 vet out

Almost any MMO with a cash shop is Pay to Win to some extent. In this game it helps you get the currency to get better weapons faster so then it is Pay to Win in that regard because time is a factor when it comes to "winning".

If it takes 1 day for someone to get the best weapon by paying and 10 days for one without paying then the first guy will be "winning" over you for 9 days. Ofcourse winning does not mean anything in ThemeParks but you get my point.

Not at all.

A lot of people are completely out of touch w/ what 'Pay 2 Win' actually means / is referring to. Now, any game with a cashshop has been labelled as 'P2W' simply because you can buy things. It's idiotic to an insane degree. By holding the label 'P2W' in such a way, you effectively make the term meaningless without even realizing it.

Pay 2 Win refers to games that sell in-game items that give a distinct power advantage over other players. That's it. Cosmetic items, convenience items, these are not 'pay 2 win'. They don't make you better than anyone else. At most they allow you to get what you want out of a game faster, but there isn't a power gate reserved for those w/ the most cash.

If you're still confused, check out the game Allods, or most of the Nexus games. Those are examples of Pay 2 Win. For example, in Allods it's nearly impossible to beat someone in PvP who has bought the cashshop pvp gear, without having the max endgame gear.

Planetside 2 doesn't function this way, at all. I've gotten pleanty of kills with the default weapons. I still maintain a positive K/D ratio. I still take over bases on a regular basis. Many of the upgraded weapons are actually worse than what you start with in many ways. The only thing I can't do without the cashshop atm, is make my tank look like a zebra. What an advantage that gives me...

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259

It may not be like most p2w games but you do need cash to play at a competitive level or at least buy some usfull guns

The main problem for me is if you like fps games but hate mech games then you might not like this,

you will have to spend most your time in a tank or some sort of aircraft ground troops need some way of attacking armored vehicle's other then the heavy assault rocket launcher otherwise when you get spawn camped by tanks your screwed atm, i have played it over the weekend and today and i just find it a spawncamping frustrating game but thats just my taste, maybe you like being in a tank and shooting at the forcefield of a spawn room..

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

PS1 vet out

I just don't see where PS2 is a P2W, apparently you haven't tried APB.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    World of Tanks is Pay to Win, and even that is totally playable without paying for gold ammo or specialty tanks. I hate this term, but OP is whining.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

How can you get spawn camped when you usually have a choice of about 8 spawn points and one of them is the main base which is safe and where you can choose to drop pod into the other 2 continents.

Honestly you'd think people were just making shit up who haven't actually played the game.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

My friend it is NOT P2W not even close, also I am a old PS1 vet from back in the day and P2S is SO much better. I have some advice for you, instead of reading post/forums on the game, stop being lazy and download the thing, it's free and I wish people would stop calling SOE greedy, they just spent millions of dollars on this game and gave it away for free. I have no issues with Paying a sub , ( already subed for two months ) and I have bought stuff in the Cash shop to further support this amazing game, but hey,. we have people that will go out of their way to post comments based on asumptions without even knowing what the hell they are talking about in the first place, and instead of downloading the " FREE" client, you rather bitch and moan about it. Sorry for rant but man, there's no excuse for this idiotic post at all, find a new hobby.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Thanks. Some of you have nudged me towards the 'try it out' door. It just sounded confusing with folks saying using specific tactics (zerg rezzing) you can get boatloads of certs; and you can buy weapons or whatnot in the cash shop. And how I should wait for SC sales and stock up. All seems like too much effort. would rather play on a level playing field where everyone just progresses and all that other crap is taken out of the equation.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I tried to play it, I tried to love it but it just feels like any other millitary shooter we've been forced to endure for the last 10 years cept it's a bit sci-fi on a big map.  I'll stick to my Tribes ascend, might not be MMO but at least I feel like I make a difference in that game and it has something you cannot get else where.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

PS1 vet out

Is it pay to win or free to play? Make up your mind!

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I haven't payed a cent, and my K/D is 3.67, and I never fly. Your definition of pay to win is completely flawed. You don't know unless you try.

The only thing that comes near pay to win would be the upgrades for the fighter aircrafts.

Also, there is no gun that is superior to any other gun of it's own class. For example. If you have a gun with high accuracy, but want a gun with fast refire, you will sacrifice the accuracy to get the refire. If you want faster reload speed, you may be sacrificing just as much damage to get it.

I still use the default guns for each class except infiltrator, because I like the basic stats more.

By my definition, the game is practically pay to lose.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

OP is basically wrong on all counts.

1. There are no "more powerful guns" in PS2. All guns (paid or otherwise) are sidegrades. It is either accurate but piss weak per shot, or a freaking cannon per shot but bullet flies everywhere.

2. The more power upgrades is totally not purchasable via station cash.

3. Cert gain is actually pretty fast if your whole aim is to farm cert and ignore all other activities, ie just go combat medic and heal infantry zergs or engineer and heal armor/MAX zergs.

4. Link into point 3, farming certs for the sake of certs and guns in this game is stupid because:

Firstly, as mention in point 1, all guns are sidegrades, you are just getting skins more than anything and

Secondly, the truely beneficial certs are for teamplay and if you are in an outfit, you don't need to worry about farming certs - you get certs so fast working with your outfit it is ridiculous

5. Link back to point 4, the truely useful certs are like anti-air, ground pounding cannon or spawns and beacons... however those are not upgrades for singleplayer, those are for the team. So you there is not "FPS God" in this game as you need to work with others regardless of how good you are.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

the op is trolling.  you can tell by the fact they state they havent touched the game once, and went so far as to post useless drivel about WoW play times (like wow has any baring on a FPS game)

i havent played ps1 or 2, thought about it my self, but im waiting for the devs to correct the exploits people keep posting about before i do.  but as far as im aware or understand the game is not a pay to win. (cant p2w in a fps to be honest) its a freedium model though, in that you can buy unlocks or something which would normally take several play periods to reach.  but then almost any fps has that.. even cod i believe.