Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've been on this forum for nearly 9 years....

madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

And now Diablo 3, Call of Duty, Quake, League of Legends, Team Fortress, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Battlefield, Civilization and any multiplayer game or game with a mutliplayer component is called an MMO just because other people are playing it in their own little instances at the same time. You know, forget that we have descriptors for these games to seperate them into their own genres... forget what the word massive and multiplayer mean when combined... forget it... 

I guess I am going to go just play my fav MMO. Its a board game that I play with only one other person. It's called Chess. 

If you can't understand that MMO means a massive amount of multiplayers online in one game world/instance, and you instead believe that MMO means a massive amount of separate games in duplicate copies of the world...  well.... I don't even know what to say. 

Comments

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    i giggled!

played a million mmo's

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104
    Yeah, that one's escaping me too. But considering how instanced a lot of MMO's have become lately, I can start to see a pattern emerging.
  • stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185
    being on the this forum for 9 years doesn't make your opinion superior.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

Seriously? If you think I pointed out how long I have been coming here as some sort of statement of superiority, and not a reflection on how things have changed in that span of time then you have a problem.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

But it does make them at least 10 years old.

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    I hate to tell you this but for nine years they've been covering a lot more than MMOs. They focus on MMOs but the cover other gaming too.

I am not talking about site coverage. Not at all. I am talking about people thinking Diablo 3 and COD are MMO's.

Originally posted by grimal

Wow... so few responses so far and already 2 people who don't understand the reason I pointed out the amount of years I've been on. It is no wonder we have so many people who don't know what an MMO is if they can't even comprehend the reason I wrote down how many years I've been coming here.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    I hate to tell you this but for nine years they've been covering a lot more than MMOs. They focus on MMOs but the cover other gaming too.

He's reached his limit with this thread. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by madazz

And now Diablo 3, Call of Duty, Quake, League of Legends, Team Fortress, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Battlefield, Civilization and any multiplayer game or game with a mutliplayer component is called an MMO just because other people are playing it in their own little instances at the same time. You know, forget that we have descriptors for these games to seperate them into their own genres... forget what the word massive and multiplayer mean when combined... forget it... 

I guess I am going to go just play my fav MMO. Its a board game that I play with only one other person. It's called Chess. 

If you can't understand that MMO means a massive amount of multiplayers online in one game world/instance, and you instead believe that MMO means a massive amount of separate games in duplicate copies of the world...  well.... I don't even know what to say. 

Exactly. It's the same point I have tried to make through exageration (FB is an MMORPG) and sarcasm many times in other threads.

But MMORPG.COM itself is somewhat guilty of confusing the issue by creating a Diablo 3 forum here. Maybe it's the common auction house that does it for them but it's still a primarily single-player (or at best, small scale co-op) game to me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by grimal

Wow... so few responses so far and already 2 people who don't understand the reason I pointed out the amount of years I've been on. It is no wonder we have so many people who don't know what an MMO is if they can't even comprehend the reason I wrote down how many years I've been coming here.

Wow....relax.  I was just being a bit silly.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm seeing the same thing.  An MMO by some definitions today is "any game with publisher run multiplayer servers".  From YoVille to Halo to SWTOR, they're all MMOs.

Good, bad or otherwise, it doesn't matter what I think.  It's not going to change the trend.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    [mod edit]

I am not writing about that. What I wrote about is VERY simple. This website has multiple forums. Amongst them one for MMO's and another for general gaming. Regardless of what this site covers, the definition of an MMO has not changed. There have been new types of MMO's, some which I don't care for but they are MMO's none the less.

My point was that people do not understand what an MMO is. The general population of this site used to know that... now you have people who think 4 players = massive.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

The generally accepted definition of a MMO  is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously.

This sort of standard definition really only works for well adjust, reasonable adults. This probably accounts for the fact that this issue keeps coming up on this forum.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

MMO is just a label. And i have not heard anyone call D3, or LOL a MMO. Most people call D3 an online ARPG, and LOL a MOBA.

Do we need another debate on naming? And if a game is fun to you, do you really care whether it is called a MMORPG, or a MOBA?

Yeah, you can't add anything to a post. Some folks on here get really distracted by it

It's like watching ferrets running away with a shiny. 

*waits for people to run with that comment*

Granted though, I'm not sure some folks grasp the full acronym. 

• Massively - Bunches 
    • Multiplayer - of players
    • Online - *all* at one time

Not, "Eh mate, you want to jump into D3 for a few?" "Yeah man I'm down."

That's only two. If Bob and Frank join in, that's 4.

Not massively.

Multiplayer yes. 

Massively, no.

*Edited for my own fail*

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

When you start to pay a fee for using this forum, perhaps then someone will ask for your vote.

But probably not.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by CreepProphet

• Massively - Bunches 
    • Online - at one time

Oh irony. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Iselin

Exactly. It's the same point I have tried to make through exageration (FB is an MMORPG) and sarcasm many times in other threads.

But MMORPG.COM itself is somewhat guilty of confusing the issue by creating a Diablo 3 forum here. Maybe it's the common auction house that does it for them but it's still a primarily single-player (or at best, small scale co-op) game to me.

I agree. I won't get into details about Diablo 3, but this site's more recent tendency to cover non-mmo games does confuse those who don't understand what the genre is.

This just leads to silly arguments. You have people who want basic multiplayer games arguing how MMO players are wrong and so on and so forth. When really, the people who just want a general multiplayer game are in the wrong forum! I want multiplayer games too, but I come here to discuss MMO's! Now I keep seeing arguments to turn MMO's into general multiplayer games. We already have both! Why are they trying to take away our MMO's?

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Kids these days will never really know what a real MMO is. World of Warcraft was the last 'real' MMO. And sadly some of us were done with that after the first month. So it leaves much to be desired in this industry. It's all down to indie-developers/sandbox MMO's now. 
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

• Massively - Bunches 
    • Online - at one time

Multiplayer also means IN ONE INSTANCE. You do not call solitaire a multiplayer game because a bunch of people are playing it solo, but together in one room.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

• Massively - Bunches 
    • Online - all at one time

Multiplayer also means IN ONE INSTANCE. You do not call solitaire a multiplayer game because a bunch of people are playing it solo, but together in one room.

Dude you're right. I totally ruined that one. *facepalms*

I should have added the "all" in there.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

MMO is just a label. And i have not heard anyone call D3, or LOL a MMO. Most people call D3 an online ARPG, and LOL a MOBA.

Do we need another debate on naming? And if a game is fun to you, do you really care whether it is called a MMORPG, or a MOBA?

I care if it is fun and what genre it falls into. When I hear about a new racing game coming out, I have the expectation and hope of being able to drive some sort of vehicle in the game. Know what I mean? I can't stand MOBAs but I love me a good MMORPG, so if I hear that game x is a MOBA then I know not to waste my time.

I'm not following where the confusion lies here but this is pretty basic stuff.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I care if it is fun and what genre it falls into. When I hear about a new racing game coming out, I have the expectation and hope of being able to drive some sort of vehicle in the game. Know what I mean? I can't stand MOBAs but I love me a good MMORPG, so if I hear that game x is a MOBA then I know not to waste my time.

I'm not following where the confusion lies here but this is pretty basic stuff.

Exactly, how are we supposed to share an interest on an MMO site when people keep arguing that Diablo 3 is an MMO? Things are put into genres or classified so we can be organized. Sometimes I want to play a co-op game with my buddies. I don't go to an MMO site to look up co-op games... 

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by D_TOX
    Kids these days will never really know what a real MMO is. World of Warcraft was the last 'real' MMO. And sadly some of us were done with that after the first month. So it leaves much to be desired in this industry. It's all down to indie-developers/sandbox MMO's now. 

what do you call "real" mmo?

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Can I have your stuff from like... everything? :)

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.