Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the meanest thing you've ever done in a MMORPG?

13»

Comments

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83

In EQ, I took my Druid (this is during the Velious expansion) to Crushbone and /ooc'd for people to come to zone in for buffs.  I invited 5 melee's to my group, and ported them all to Iceclad and logged off.

I felt horrible about that for a long time.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5446128#5446128

Now the staff's churning out dupe threads?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Boognishe
    In EQ, I took my Druid (this is during the Velious expansion) to Crushbone and /ooc'd for people to come to zone in for buffs.  I invited 5 melee's to my group, and ported them all to Iceclad and logged off. I felt horrible about that for a long time.

Ah yes, guilt. To those with a conscious, the long term guilt will often cause more grief to the offender than was felt by the victim.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Biggest dick moment for me, was in World of Warcraft when they had the pre WoTLK events and you could become zombies. Me and my buddy just went around to lower zones and killed everyone in friendly towns. So no one could quest or turn in quests. It was pretty funny watching people freak their shit out in local chat. I was literally so humored by their reactions, that this is all I did for hours and hours. My best WoW moment was others worst :D
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I'm not a dick in games but there was one time I really considered it.  It was on AO, I was a high-ranking official in a huge guild where the guild leader was a really controlling guy who literally lived online, he had no job, no family, he lost all of it because he played so much.  He also got really depressed and stopped trying so the guild was going downhill, he wouldn't allow anyone else any real power but he wouldn't do anything himself.  I called him on it one day and said hey, there are lots of people here who want to help you, who want to take the pressure off of you, let us do something!  We got into an argument and he started saying "if you want to destroy this guild, you have the power, you can do it!"  Yes, I had the power to do things like... delete the guild city, clear the bank accounts so they couldn't pay their guild fees, basically blow the guild back to the stone age.  I got so pissed off at this angsty asshole, my finger hovered over the button to nuke it all, but in the end, I didn't do it, I had too many friends that would be hurt and eventually, I think they overthrew this prick anyhow.  Me, I just left, it just wasn't fun anymore.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• SeronysSeronys Member UncommonPosts: 51

Dunno if anyone has played it/heard of it, but...

Went pirate in a space mmo called star sonata (a game where pvp is taboo, political bullshit really.) Slaughtered everything and everyone i ever came across, griefed people, shit talked, until the point where the entire playerbase was complaining so much, an admin set me up and banned me under the term (griefing), which said admin claimed no longer existed in the mmo.

yea ima dick.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

loot stealing on a loot stealer :-)

In EVE I found a Serpentis 4/10 DED complex. This has 2 rooms with a key in the first room that is in a sealed can that can only be opened after almost everything in the room is dead. So I wiped almost everything with last 4 rats remaining when a cruiser warped in and proceeded to the can with the key. When I noticed what's going on, I stopped killing the rats and waited. Being in an assault ship, I was taking no damage since I killed all the frigates already and the remaining cruisers could not hit me. He stared at me for a while, then I told him he'd need to kill the remaining rats to get the key. So we switched places :-)

I took the key and warped to the 2nd room in the end with him cursing in local :-) Unfortunately the main boss dropped crap.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Seronys

Dunno if anyone has played it/heard of it, but...

Went pirate in a space mmo called star sonata (a game where pvp is taboo, political bullshit really.) Slaughtered everything and everyone i ever came across, griefed people, shit talked, until the point where the entire playerbase was complaining so much, an admin set me up and banned me under the term (griefing), which said admin claimed no longer existed in the mmo.

yea ima dick.

Nice.  Atleast it mixes up the repetitiveness.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I told someone in WoW, that it is faster to run to Thunder Bluff than it is to wait for the zeppelin outside Orgrimmar. This was before Cataclysm when it got moved into Orgrimmar.

I can only imagine he ran all the way to Thunder Bluff from that day on from Orgrimmar...or at least for a very long time.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I guess the meanest thing Ive done is in SWG Id tell newbs that all they had to do was type / QuiGon and they would unlock Jedi.

Worked every time

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• dreadlordnafdreadlordnaf Member UncommonPosts: 88

Back in 1998 during the original Ultima Online I “acquired” (stole) a boat and went exploring the isles.  Remember in UO except for a few areas there was no portal or teleportation means to many of the far off places.  In order to get there for the first time you had to manually visit it.  Also remember in UO when you died, you lost everything on your char and would respawn totally naked.

Anyway so I come upon one small island and find a dude there who just embarked from his own boat.  Being the PK’er that I was I jacked him, took all this stuff, including the key to his boat.  Then through some coordination with a friend of mine, sailed off with both his boat and my original one. 

About a week a later I return just to check things out, THE GUY IS STILL THERE.  He had a club as a weapon he found off some random NPC which he had to fight with his bare hands, and then had stitched himself some leather armor from rat hides that he had acquired from the rat NPCs spawning there.  He was in essence living off the island “Castaway” style because I had totally marooned him there with no way to get back….  I of course did not pick him up and never did find out if he made it off that island….

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70
    Be honest with people.

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Member Posts: 92

I'm a really boring person, I guess. My online persona is no different than my RL persona. As such, in 12+ years I have absolutely no recollection of having done anything mean.

But I gotta say, some of the foregoing exploits made me laugh.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I can't really think of anything mean that I've done to someone in an MMO.  I've probably trained mobs to get someone killed, but I don't remember anything specific.

I remember questing alone on a PVE server and having two members of the opposing faction taunting me to try to get me to flag and fight.  They got bored and decided to duel and just as the duel ended and one was almost dead, I spawned a special quest mob on top of them killing the low health one and leaving me unflagged.  It was a quest that spawned mobs to fight wherever you were.  I laughed my ass off at his death and it wasn't exactly nice.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Well UO had just come out and I was an immature little dork (more so than now anyways).  I logged in for my first time in an mmorpg.  Immediately I noticed someone had dropped pink dresses on the ground.  So I picked one up. 

I then spent the next 2 hours running around asking players if they, " would like to trade? ".  They always said, " Sure. " .  At which point I would put on the dress and run about three laps around their characters screaming, " IM A LITTLE PRINCESS SELLING PINK PRETTY DRESSES!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! ".  Then I would run off.  I probably did this to a good 40 or so people. 

Yes that was my first few hours spent in an mmorpg.  I don't know if that could be classified as being "mean" but it sure was something.  Why did I do this?  Heck I don't know.  I have no idea.  It's lame, weird, non sensical, and outright special.  I was a kid.  Whatever....

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I went on several of my friends accounts in this game I play and called this girl I didn't like a "giant pink whale" because she always wore tacky pink looking clothing in game and because I didn't like her...

I realize how mean that was now.

Smile