Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Funcom's New Doomsday Prophet

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom's Joel Bylos has started a new video blog chronicling the countdown to the end of the world on 12-21-12. Joel is now a self-proclaimed doomsday prophet. See what he's got to say about the impending apocalypse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         Kinda ironic seeing that TSW basically was the end for Funcom itself with its poor sales.......
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    @theocritus ignorance is bliss?

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Theocritus
         Kinda ironic seeing that TSW basically was the end for Funcom itself with its poor sales.......

Kinda ironic players want WoW clones but say they dont...

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    nice idea to bring more awareness to the game.  i like how it's lighthearted and they poke fun at themselves.  he also throws a jab and swtor and gw2. 
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    This looks like the beginning of FTP!!!
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

That was pretty damn funny. And taking stabs at other games as well! lol

BTW, sounds like the 12/11/2012 event for TSW will be either F2P or B2P. Or maybe another free trial...

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I don't know why people are jumping at this. Maybe it wasn't posted with good intentions but it's not that off the mark. TSW did sell poorly and it was below Funcom's expectations.

Calling it end of Funcom may be hyperbole but Funcom did say they were gonna shift to smaller budget, systems driven games instead of developing big budget AAA titles with dev content driven games. Personally, i wish both TSW and Funcom the best. And i liked the video too, it was funny :)

BTW, drop the box price and make it free download+sub maybe? If they are looking to change their pricing and don't wanna drop the sub altogether i mean.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    I think it will be a free trial until Dec 21 to experience the world ending ingame event+ARG

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I think it’s far more likely to be a f2p trial period and not full f2p, a week long before Christmas or something.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by FromHell
    I think it will be a free trial until Dec 21 to experience the world ending ingame event+ARG

This makes the most sense, with what he said about The Secret World orgy.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108
    ahahah, have to say it is a pretty funny viral way of advertising
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    F2P would do nothing for TSW because the cash shop really offers nothing worth buying. No point in having more people ingame if it doesn't bring in $$.
    Originally posted by TalulaRose
    F2P would do nothing for TSW because the cash shop really offers nothing worth buying. No point in having more people ingame if it doesn't bring in $$.

I would imagine they would change their cash shop for a f2p transition.

• TheIdealistTheIdealist Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Kuppa

I angree! i think they will make it f2p option with sub like in Swtor

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Yeah . . . pay (per zone) to unlock non-story missions past Kingsmouth . . . pay to advance past faction rank 6 or so . . . gear management slots in the cash shop (this was originally planned but changed to ingame currency before launch after player protests) . . . pay to play any faction other than Dragon. I would expect something like a Conan / LOTRO "Freemium" (ghastly neologism) model if this does happen.

I also have more than a slight suspicion that this video is an elaborate piece of trolling by Joel aimed at all the folks who have been predicting TSW to go f2p within 6 months of launch.

Originally posted by dancingstar

Yeah . . . pay (per zone) to unlock non-story missions past Kingsmouth . . . pay to advance past faction rank 6 or so . . . gear management slots in the cash shop (this was originally planned but changed to ingame currency before launch after player protests) . . . pay to play any faction other than Dragon. I would expect something like a Conan / LOTRO "Freemium" (ghastly neologism) model if this does happen.

I also have more than a slight suspicion that this video is an elaborate piece of trolling by Joel aimed at all the folks who have been predicting TSW to go f2p within 6 months of launch.

Crafting, no point to it atm. Would have to revamp it to make so they could charge $$.

Including the Story there is approx 500 quests. Could offer some for $$ but that would take away from alot of what the game has to offer. The pvp is very much broken and they couldn't charge for any of that in its current state.

There are only 3 factions and no classes. And there is no ingame difference between the factions other than minor story tweaks. Would someone actually pay to play another faction just for that? Remember, a selling point was there was no need for alts.

Couldn't restrict certain classes like AoC or the other freemium games as they have no classes. Restricting weapons wouldn't work, That would take away from another main selling point, the ability to learn any ability in game. That would also force them to redo the mobs ingame as some require specific abilities with conditions to beat. Which in turn affects some of the quests.

It was made to be F2P sounds good but when you look at it there are some big issues that would force them to do a serious overhaul to make it possible.

Instances would be the only thing that could be doable but if they limited abilities then that would stop people from doing NM mode. Normal and Elite have no need for anything other than the basic skills heals, dps, tanking. And how many would pay for NM mode?

The only thing that could be doable would to charge for the somewhat monthly updates like DCU. A few quests, some abilities.

Lets not mention the pvp needs a serious overhaul atm.
  • NickDieselNickDiesel Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Freakin' hilarious.  My vote is Mr. T.  If anyone can pull off ending the world, it'd have be Mr. T.
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I don't wanna die without trying out "The Secret World" :(
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Gymrat313
    I don't wanna die without trying out "The Secret World" :(

You don't have to, there's a trial, if you finish 30 quests you even got some cash to spend in the store :)

TalulaRose +1. Nice, detailed list, I also think they won't go f2p. It was a great vid though, the face on the suits when Joel said skip the subscription, it's no longer required... funny stuff.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
     The pvp is very much broken and they couldn't charge for any of that in its current state. .. .. Lets not mention the pvp needs a serious overhaul atm.

Errm, then I wonder how I´m playing PvP every second day with approximately 100+ people in Fusang and having more fun than before ?

You know there was a major revamp already with the last update? Or you mean the PvP prior to 1.3 ?

Honestly, I think this game with it´s brilliant PvE could even do without PvP, but it´s great that it´s included and I find it fun doing between missions

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

The pvp is very much broken and they couldn't charge for any of that in its current state. .. .. Lets not mention the pvp needs a serious overhaul atm.

Errm, then I wonder how I´m playing PvP every second day with approximately 100+ people in Fusang and having more fun than before ?

You know there was a major revamp already with the last update? Or you mean the PvP prior to 1.3 ?

Honestly, I think this game with it´s brilliant PvE could even do without PvP, but it´s great that it´s included and I find it fun doing between missions

So it's nothing like this: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/26/chaos-theory-tsws-new-pvp-how-do-you-like-them-big-apples/ 

I had the impression the new update crippled the pvp even more.

I'm in the Grim group. Just logged in.

Atm there is 2 Dragon, 3 Temps, and 60+ lumies.

Sorry but the pvp is broke. And what is even worse than the numbers is that the lumies will all be in QL10.4 purples if they aren't already for just standing around.

Only one battlegroup ended up balanced. Sucks for everyone else.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    i hope its BtP......That would SKYROCKET the player base of TSW...
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i have a lifetime sub and i think or i hope its f2p.just to let people see just how good and polished this game is.i think they made a mistake with the sub fee although i would be happy paying that.or even better just b2p would have got them there money back on the game and with the cash shop they would have made a pretty penny.

although they are making a profit i think its inevetable that subs will drop again.and there will come a time that it wont be making money especially if the content slows down .i personally love the game to bits..like most though i fear for its future.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

I'm in the Grim group. Just logged in.

Atm there is 2 Dragon, 3 Temps, and 60+ lumies.

Sorry but the pvp is broke. And what is even worse than the numbers is that the lumies will all be in QL10.4 purples if they aren't already for just standing around.

Only one battlegroup ended up balanced. Sucks for everyone else.

Hey folks.  Yup, PvP is currently broken for underdog factions.  However, patch coming this month to address imbalances, and folks are cautiously optimistic:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62527

That said, even with broken PvP, there was a concerted effort this past weekend to bring Illuminati and Dragon factions together to beat back the red menace. ;)  It was a very succesful afternoon and lots of fun for ALL factions.  PvP will be back soon enough:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62668