Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else think its getting a bit quiet out there?

Comments

• NavekNavek Member UncommonPosts: 71

Every time I log into Lions Arch I end up an overflow server, so there must be people about , but in general the lower level zones do seem a lot quieter but that is to be expected this long after launch and with the subscription model being used.

The ability to pick the game up for events and leave after them for a casual player with a max level character while suffering no real disadvantage only encourages the lower areas to be empty.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

There are zergs fighting the dragons in the levelling zones pretty much on cooldown. 

I am levelling an elementalist and I see people all the time, in every zone. Sometimes it's a dozen+, sometimes it's just a couple, but there are always people.

Make a joke in map chat and start a conversation, and you'll realise there are a lot of other quiet people in your vicinity who hadn't said a word till then, quietly levelling on their own.

Then getting together to do events and hearts is fairly easy, you don't even need to be in group to help out, just run with others.

Most people silently run to some god-forsaken corner of the map, never say anything in chat and somehow expect 20 people to just be there waiting for them.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    [mod edit]

You waited this long to give an " I told you so " :)

Anyway, it's still not fitting, take it from me, someone who stoped playing about 25 days into it when I got bord.  Just because I stopped means nothing, this game lasted and is still lasting.  No one of this post is saying that the game is really dead except the OP............Infact, I plan on comming back after I'm done playing Vanilla WoW....Why ?  Because a lower population will bring about a community.  More people will work togeather and friends could be made, And that is why I play mmos !

Just saying, you were too soon on your " I told you so "  :)

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Yeah, I can't buy some karma gear cus Balth temple is always contested. And even when people try to take it they fail...
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

There are zergs fighting the dragons in the levelling zones pretty much on cooldown. 

I am levelling an elementalist and I see people all the time, in every zone. Sometimes it's a dozen+, sometimes it's just a couple, but there are always people.

Make a joke in map chat and start a conversation, and you'll realise there are a lot of other quiet people in your vicinity who hadn't said a word till then, quietly levelling on their own.

Then getting together to do events and hearts is fairly easy, you don't even need to be in group to help out, just run with others.

Most people silently run to some god-forsaken corner of the map, never say anything in chat and somehow expect 20 people to just be there waiting for them.

Yeah this is also true. It might look like there arent many people around, but call out in map when one of the bigger events are on and people will flock there. Too many people blaming the game for their own anti-social behaviour.

The game has all the features you need to be social. Just goes to show that you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    reading all this just makes me happy I got a refund seems I made a good choice.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Well, two of our BGs had about 20 minute queues last night, so I took my ranger I'm levelling into the 50 - 60 zone out in the Charr lands, and I was the only one I saw there. 

Of course, it was also 11PM on a Sunday night, so I didn't expect a lot.

WvW was hopping, Fractals were flowing and people were still "LFG"ing for dungeons in LA before I waypointed over from the overflow.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by umie214
    Originally posted by karmath

Why does it seem that most people in this thread are surprised? Every single last clone to date has the exact same problem regardless if it was well received like Rift/GW2 or badly like AoC/SWTOR.

GW2 was the first original MMo since WoW and has revolutionized the industry. it's the best MMO out right now, period. too bad MMO's suck in general. 

Revolutionize? GW2 just made it an ultra easy ultra casual game that has pseudo grouping and removed all actual social interaction. To me this is a step in the wrong direction, its devolution, it is wowification in the worst way.

I haven't spent this much time in TeamSpeak in an MMO setting since Eve Online, so if you're missing the social side of the game you're simply doing it wrong.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

Why does it seem that most people in this thread are surprised? Every single last clone to date has the exact same problem regardless if it was well received like Rift/GW2 or badly like AoC/SWTOR.

GW2 was the first original MMo since WoW and has revolutionized the industry. it's the best MMO out right now, period. too bad MMO's suck in general. 

Revolutionize? GW2 just made it an ultra easy ultra casual game that has pseudo grouping and removed all actual social interaction. To me this is a step in the wrong direction, its devolution, it is wowification in the worst way.

blame the players not the game

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Judging by the multiple 50 man zergs we come across in all 3 borderlands and EB, I would say there are plenty of people playing this game.

Of course PvE is going to seem dead. I played WoW for about a year and I went 5 days before every seeing another person. Why? Because everyone is already max level or close to it and nobody runs in the starting areas anymore except for the occasional new player or guy making an alt. There isn't gonna be a booming population in the PvE low level environments anymore.

I would say if you see 5 people in a zone then the game is doing pretty damn good still considering how big it is. Try running a World Event as well like The Claw of Jormag. You will run into about 50 or so people doing that event as well.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Players have moved on to higher zones. I just logged in few days back to see if i can get back in game by rolling an alt. To my surprise i came across total of  4 players in low areas. And it was peak time and server was on heavy status. Even level scaling isn't enough to bring back players to older zones which leaves us with classic 'lower level zones being empty' situation all over again.

But hey atleast GW2 devs tried.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Players have moved on to higher zones. I just logged in few days back to see if i can get back in game by rolling an alt. To my surprise i came across total of  4 players in low areas. And it was peak time and server was on heavy status. Even level scaling isn't enough to bring back players to older zones which leaves us with classic 'lower level zones being empty' situation all over again.

But hey atleast GW2 devs tried.

they can try , hell anyone can try. but thry will almost always fail because players  are players.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

There are plenty of players in lower areas. I think many players are making alts. I have a few myself. It is nice to get all the PS done.

I think many people are also waiting for the Wintersday Celebration.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    I mostly blame the Fractals content. Seems most think that it is a necessity so it seems like most are done that. I will say I farm some in Orr, WvW and run other dungeons occationally. There are still plenty of folks to group with so I think that there are many people in the higher level content. Sure some have left or play less then at the start but really that should have been expected. I've done some alts and have never seen a zone completely empty of players. None of this proves anything but the title says if I noticed it quiet and I have not. 
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I tend to agree with you.  Even though I consider GW2 a very good video game and appreciate some of the little things it did (shared nodes, etc), I firmly believe in the end it was a very big move in the wrong direction for the genre.  As wrong as WoW was in 2004.

If it had been a success on par with WoW, then the genre would be moving full ahead into an area that I wouldn't want.  An area so different from Ultima Online of 1998 that I am not sure we would be able to distiguish it from anything much different than a fantasy-themed Call of Duty.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by cloud8521

No, in this case, you can blame the game. Even when some people dont want to admit it, the population drop in GW2 is huge at the point that you can find more people playing swtor than a F2P game like GW2, good thing for anet the game is B2P and sub numbers doesnt matter. Logon yesterday on my ¨full server¨, but ingame the game was petty much dead, less than 5 players on the myst, 6 Spvp games running and a PvE world just empty. But lets just keep talking about how GW2 is the best MMO of the history and a revolution to the genre.     

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Revolutionized is a bit strong don't you think?

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

1. Some servers, like Henge, are essentially dead at this point.

2. Some servers, like Blackgate, are thriving.

3. Its all related to PVP. Those servers with a strong W3 presence, guilds from NA, EU, and Oceanic, have drawn players away from other servers and are healthy. Even in low level zones you see a fair number of players (many are likely alts) running around. I have 6 toons and have not had any issue finding people to group with in lowbie zones.

4. Anet did not give us a LFG tool - stupid on their part. So, as with The Secret World, a large % of population are sitting in a city (LA) spamming LFG for instance runs. This was made much worse with FotM.

5. W3 was always intended to be end-game and the high pop servers will always have a high % of people in a W3 zone.

Its not that the game is dying. Its a holistic flaw in overall design (similar to WAR) coupled with the way W3 was implemented (free server transfers, original server set up did not take into account the need for a 24x7 presence to compete and thus servers with no EU or Oceanic presence fell from grace etc) that gives the impression the game is dying. In truth - server consolidation is probably called for at this point, and hopefully anet makes it possible to get ascended junk outside FotM sooner rather than later AND puts a LFG tool in game.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

yeah, well good luck with your ultra tough hard-core only mmo. Maybe they make new forums "ultra-hard-core mmo gamer" and they can have a qualifier. You have to play at least 150 hours each week to be allowed to post. 

Seriously though, I wish they made a game for you and the handful of people that have nothing but free time, but for those people that actually have a life to attend to, casual is important.  IF you don't like casual, you can go play some other game, but quit trying to make every game hard-core only. The majority of us are sick of it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by hikaru77

No, in this case, you can blame the game. Even when some people dont want to admit it, the population drop in GW2 is huge at the point that you can find more people playing swtor than a F2P game like GW2, good thing for anet the game is B2P and sub numbers doesnt matter. Logon yesterday on my ¨full server¨, but ingame the game was petty much dead, less than 5 players on the myst, 6 Spvp games running and a PvE world just empty. But lets just keep talking about how GW2 is the best MMO of the history and a revolution to the genre.     

funny how a person that continually goes on about how terrible GW2 is, hasn't removed it from their system, I having a hard time believing you've ever played the game.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Stick with the human areas areas and Ibelieve you will see more people.  When I leveled my alt, I didnt see many people in the asura/sylvari areas.  Human areas are still really busy....not to mention the numerous leveling zergs in kessex hills.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

The low level zones are certainly busier than any game I've ever played since Vanilla Wow ...I'm sure when games switch to F2p and have free trials that changes a bit but every game I've played before and after early Wow the starting areas have been have been ghost towns  within 2 months.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

You can't even believe this crap yourself? I couldn't even get in WvW on the weekend because I didn't have the time to wait out the queues .I can handle someone having an opinion one way or the other but outright lying about facts to the degree you just tried pulling off is bullshit to say the least.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

There are way more people playing GW2 than any other MMO other than WoW.

The reason they arent doing low level content is because it doesnt reward the same quality as the Fractals, that was a bad decision. They need to have more incentive to do low level areas for max level players. Once you 100% the world right now theres no reason to go back.

Also I am calling bullshit on your Mist comments.

The mist is shared between all servers. You would probably know this if you actually played the game. And I have never seen less than a hundred games going at a time, more than I care to scroll through.

All I ever do now is sPvP and I never have to wait for either random PvP or group PvP. So you are just full of shit. If you dont like the game, fine you are entitled to your opinion, but dont come along spreading lies when you have no idea about the current state of the game.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I'm on a GMT+8 timezone and I've never seen sPvP drop to 6. I've seen the lobby devoid of players, but when I looked at the game browser it's not as few as you recall.

So yeah let's just talk about how the game is really dead....