Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam

SarasiSarasi Member UncommonPosts: 16

My question is:

Will ESO require you to have a Steam account or will it be like other mmorpg's. I am currently playing Skyrim and I really hate haveing to have steam controlling my saves and etc. Thay say that I cannot play Skyrim without  Steam. I have played many mmorpg's and would like to get into ESO at release but will have second thought id Steam is required.

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    most likely not.  but,  why would it matter? 
  • SarasiSarasi Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Why? Because I really do not think a third party should have to have control or access to my information or account. Do you want to give me your info for online gameing?
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    You could've bought Skyrim without using Steam...just saying...
    Originally posted by Sarasi
    Why? Because I really do not think a third party should have to have control or access to my information or account. Do you want to give me your info for online gameing?

you said you already have a steam account. 

Originally posted by JKwervo
    You could've bought Skyrim without using Steam...just saying...

not unless you pirated it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I wonder, its zenimaxs first mmo. They do work with valve a lot, e.g. skyrim uses and dishonoured will use steamworks for mods.

Valves download servers are VERY good. I started downloading planetside 2 through Sony, was taking forever, switched to downloading via steam instead and it flew down.
    You can turn off steam controlling your saves. Right click skyrim in steam and tell it not to use steam cloud. Of course this a nice feature if you have a game on both your pc and your laptop or if your hard disk fails. I have it on for Torchlight 2 and a few other lighter games so I can take them on my laptop on business trips etc..
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Can't say for sure but...from my experience when you buy an MMO on steam you get a cd key which you use to activate your account for that MMO.once you've doen that you can downlaod the gaem from the game's site and not even have to download or launch steam to paly if don't want to.

However until the game is released no one can say for sure.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

For all the MMOs (that I've tried) that use steam, the steam client is only used to issue the key and install the client.  All personal information and account handling/billing is done through the MMO companies systems.

For instance, as stated by another poster, if you buy and install EQ2 through steam, you can later uninstall it and download it from the SOE page without an issue.

If Steam were to house all the account details, they'd be the ones having to deal with all the CS involved with them.  I don't see that happening.  Likewise, there are no save files etc with MMOs so that won't matter either.

The only way I can see Steam being a requirement is if they offer no other means of downloading the client digitally, and even then, there are box copies.

• SarasiSarasi Member UncommonPosts: 16

Just to make things clear,I have  a box copy of Skyrim, not a download version. It states that you need a Steam account to activate it. So I made a Steam account. I asked Bethesda if there was anyway to play without Steam and they said NO. Every once in a while when i log on i get a message that they cannot verify my files. Who cares what they can verify as long as I get into the game that is saved on my computer. It is not on more than one computer.

It is not a mmorpg  it is a stand alone single player game and I do not know why it needs a third party involved to play. Any other game  including thier games Oblivion,Daggerfall,Arena,Battlespire etc do not need a third party involved.

I just hope that we do not need to log onto Steam to get the game at all.

Just so people will understand  I do not buy game downloads,I buy the game in a box just as I have since 1993 when I strted playing computer games.Downloads are slow and unreliable when it comes to the size that computer games are now.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Sarasi
    Just to make things clear,I have  a box copy of Skyrim, not a download version. It states that you need a Steam account to activate it. So I made a Steam account. I asked Bethesda if there was anyway to play without Steam and they said NO. Every once in a while when i log on i get a message that they cannot verify my files. Who cares what they can verify as long as I get into the game that is saved on my computer. It is not on more than one computer.

It is not a mmorpg  it is a stand alone single player game and I do not know why it needs a third party involved to play. Any other game  including thier games Oblivion,Daggerfall,Arena,Battlespire etc do not need a third party involved.

I just hope that we do not need to log onto Steam to get the game at all.

Just so people will understand  I do not buy game downloads,I buy the game in a box just as I have since 1993 when I strted playing computer games.Downloads are slow and unreliable when it comes to the size that computer games are now.

There is an offline mode for Steam that works. I've never used it, so I'm not sure where it is, but this sounds like the scenario where it would be used.

** edit **
    If you need a Steam account, then that's the digital distribution platform Bethesda or Zenimax chose for their game. This would be for any patches or updates to the game in the future. I'm pretty sure any mods would have to be installed manually.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Blame pirates
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Blame pirates

Nothing to do with pirates, pirates play all games DRM free and often before they even hit retail whether Steam games or not.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i will gladly play the game through steam just as i play many other games through steam, sounds like a personal issue to me.

actually, it just sounds like an excuse to complain, which is a very common occurrence on these forums.