Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC gaming is crap these days (2012)

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    I see two sides of the coin for Steam. Yes, they are a great way to DELIVER games to those that know about the games to start with. That is the first side and the good side. The other side of the coin is that Steam does not foster a great way to get NEW gamers interest in games for PC. Let's face it, if you are a gamer and know about games on PC then you will in most likelyhood have heard of if not used Steam. The average joe on the street may never have a clue. However, if you have a "brick and mortar" shop somewhere then people walk by the shelves and are exposed to gaming. So, Steam to me is both good and bad for PC gaming.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The following mmos are on steam
    Planetside 2
    Tsw
    Aoc
    Lotro
    Rift
    Perfect world (and all its follow ups)
    Eve
    Perpetuum
    Aion
    Tera
    Dcuo
    Champions

Basicly anything that isn't ea, blizzard or ncsoft.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

I disabled my firewall and now steam connects but I can't have my firewall disabled forever?

I'm pretty sure that it said that I couldn't play Borderlands 2 in off-line mode since I got that game through a code in my graphics card box.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You need to put an exception in the firewall for steam - specific sockets. It is not that hard.

Do not leave your firewall down.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by botrytis
    You need to put an exception in the firewall for steam - specific sockets. It is not that hard. Do not leave your firewall down.

For the Windows Firewall

Click Start Control Panel > Security > Windows Firewall > Change Settings, and click Continue if prompted by UAC.2. Click on the Advanced tab.3. Check the applications that you wish to unblock.
    Uncheck the applications that you wish to block.

Steam.Exe should be in the list of applications, so you should be able to unblock it to allow it access through the firewall. I've never had to unblock any of the games I've installed through Steam.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Just add steam to your firewall as an app to allow through. You often have to do thus with things like mmos too.
    Dunno borderlands 2 is 2k games like civ5, and you can play that in offline mode (
  • MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

Thanks to steam on every darn game I'm now considering giving up gaming as a time wasting hobby and start reading books or something.

Steam says no internet connection? But I am connected to the internet. Steam fails to or takes ages to update. Steam is just the biggest pile of doggy-do-do thats now have become an integrated part of PC gaming.

And the AAA titles costs more on steam.

Oh no...

You need to put an exception in the firewall for steam - specific sockets. It is not that hard.

Yeah but it's not really made to be used by simple people like me but I think that I fixed it somehow.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I disabled my firewall and now steam connects but I can't have my firewall disabled forever?

I'm pretty sure that it said that I couldn't play Borderlands 2 in off-line mode since I got that game through a code in my graphics card box.

ah you see no need to rage at steam when its your firewall blocknig it LOL...

Dont know about Borderlands 2 but you should be able to set it to offline mode unles the game has an always online requirement.

Anyway add steam to your exceptions in your firewall and you will be good to go.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

If your firewall is blocking steam then you just need to create an exception in your firewall. If it is to connect to play a game, that is not Steam's fault. It is the game company that made the game. Steam only delivers the game. The servers are provided by the game's maker. In that case, you need and exception for the game itself.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• FlarglegumpFlarglegump Member Posts: 8
    It's called DRM, deal with it. Don't fret though, you can sell your PC now and get a steam box when it comes out. :'))
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    What's wrong with playing a classic then? Save for a handful most of the 'great' games of the past are still up and running.
    Originally posted by lizardbones

For the Windows Firewall

Click Start Control Panel > Security > Windows Firewall > Change Settings, and click Continue if prompted by UAC.

2. Click on the Advanced tab.

3. Check the applications that you wish to unblock.
    Uncheck the applications that you wish to block.

Steam.Exe should be in the list of applications, so you should be able to unblock it to allow it access through the firewall. I've never had to unblock any of the games I've installed through Steam.

I don't use the windows firefall since the one in my anti-virus is better (I think).

And why do I always have to validate that I'm human? I feel a bit infuriated now by the machines and whatnot.

• XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Just ask a PC guy for a fix, not too hard to find one anyway.
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Darkfall Unholy Wars and path of Exile soon
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

Thanks to steam on every darn game I'm now considering giving up gaming as a time wasting hobby and start reading books or something.

Steam says no internet connection? But I am connected to the internet. Steam fails to or takes ages to update. Steam is just the biggest pile of doggy-do-do thats now have become an integrated part of PC gaming.

1: Try getting a better internet connection, it is not always steams fault.

2: See #1 about net connection

3: They cost the same as they would in a retail sroew (which IMO they shouldn't be allowed to do, should be 5-10 cheaper imo)

Reason I think pc gaming is going to shit? easy: most games these days are make for the x360 with its vastly outdated hardware and such, and the pc users usually get some half-ass console port that is not optimized code, or gameplay wise for the pc, Ya know console UI that just is akward as hell on the pc, bad performance, alot lower end graphically than pc's can show.

Its very rare now a days for any game to be made for pc first then come out on console downgraded, this is how it used to be back before x360 came out. You can usually tell if its a direct console port by looking at the low quality textures they usually use. Fallout series and elder scrolls are a prime example, need a few mods for the pc version to make it look like a pc game and have the ui of one. Then again I feel anyone is really a moron for buying a game like fallout 3 or many other modable titles on a console if they have access to a pc.

Back on the subject of steam, I used to hate steam, then I found out I can use the overlay in virtually any game that runs in open gl or direct x, now I love it and use it as my main Instant messaging program since I will be able to respond to messages without having to leave the game or alt+tabing. That and I love steams sales, got borderlands last year for 7.99 and it came with all dlcs that were out, was one nice deal, you won't find a deal like that in a retail store.

I actually have some prepaid visa cards lined up for when their big x-mas sale starts, last year I won a few games for doing achievements in certan games I was planning to buy anyway.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Well i totally agree but i think im more fed up with pc gaming in general.

Not sure on the steam thing but ive actually dabbled today / yesterday on getting a ps VITA.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Everything has been dumbed down for the new generation of Americans.

Look at it. Movies are crap, TV shows are crap, Games are crap. All easy mode waste of money BS that shouldn't even be allowed to be callled a game, look of the definition of a game. It is the way of the corporations and the slaves keep following it.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well since Kickstarter has come along i think we are going to see some very nice PC only games popping up :)

Originally posted by Xsonic
    Just ask a PC guy for a fix, not too hard to find one anyway.

It's fixed but why can't steam say that someting is blocking it's connection?

It's 2012 but programs doesn't show much intelligence or self awareness and you almost have to be a computer nerd to sort some PC related troubles out.

I will stop now for everytime I make a post I have to prove that I'm a human with using that stupid crap-cha or whatever it's called so no more posts from me on mmorpg.com.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by erictlewis
    Why are we even discussing steam on this site almost all thier games are fps, or co-op, or rpg. I think there is only 2 mmo's on steam. I hate steam due to the fact you got to be connected to the internet to run the games even why you have the phsical hard copy.  

There are lots of mmorpgs on steam under the mmorpg section...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    I feel your pain as far as there being so many crappy games, but I don't think Steam should be blamed -- they just provide the warehousing of the games-- they don't make them.  Yes they contract for exclusivity on many games but to me it does not really affect my impression of the game.  As matter of fact, when I had to get a new pc I was glad for steam -- I picked up Skyrim right where I left off.  They have some pretty good sales from time to time as well.  I wasn't a big fan of being forced to be online to play offline games that I had purchased at first, but it's just the state of games as a whole now I guess.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Gdemami

I dislike Steam very much. It is no longer a service but platform and I do not like to be pushed around using things I do not have use for nor like..Pity.

This is it for me. I HAD to go Steam and create an account when I went to a store and purchased Skyrim. It took me forever, but I finally figured out how to play Skyrim "offline" and do so now, yet I am still connecting to the Steam App.

I have the physical CD. I pop it into my PC. And I am connecting to Steam in order to play? No, thank you.

Call me old fashioned and paranoid, but I highly dislike programs that track my computer usage.

Now, I realize many people enjoy Steam and the services they offer. I am happy for them. I am highly unhappy about not having the choice about using it.

I do, however love Good Old Games (gog.com)! I actually get the games and never have to connect to GOG ever again in order to play.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MattTreckMattTreck Member Posts: 5
    It's been a rough year but I wouldn't say that Steam is the cause, if anything Steam is making attemps to help indie devs get their games out there. Granted they're still having issues doing so efficiently, but at least they're trying.