Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: New Developer Blog Begins

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Square Enix team has announced that a new developer blog is now live to give players and fans a behind-the-scenes look at the development of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. In the first issue, Fernehalwes reveals that a new benchmark program will be released soon.

For those of you who don’t know me from the Lodestone Forums, this is Fernehalwes—translator of tomes, lover of lore, and as of today, poster of posts here on the developers’ blog! From now until the launch of A Realm Reborn (and hopefully well beyond), I and my trusty partner-in-crime, the mysterious and lovely project manager ‘M’, will be bringing you irregular updates on the inner workings of the FINAL FANTASY XIV development team. This includes, but is most definitely not limited to, office tours, interviews, and lots of blurry photographs of cluttered booths and overworked programmers.

Check it out on the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Wow, shots of a laptop! *swoons*

Why don't they just release the bloody benchmark, are they really that short of ideas that they have to tease us with some guy's jpgs of a machine running it?

Let's hope they give us juicier stuff, and more of it next time.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Errrr the gameplay is outdated, i'll pass and wait for next one ..
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Will be fun to let the old 1.0 benchmark run next to the AAR one soon :)

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Who cares about benchmark to be honest? we are almost to the 5th MMO generation if not the 6th, at this point if they fail to scalate content for pc its because their engine sucks, i hate when developers give gimick info, to be honest  i am waiting for this new ARR, but i dont want to feel fooled again, i hope they understand that.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by Scellow
    Errrr the gameplay is outdated, i'll pass and wait for next one ..

I wouldn't call it outdated. At most it's hindered due to PS3 restrictions.

This said it's a lot slower in many ways than the WoW-format.

Doesn't suit well with "GIEF ALL NAOW" generation of gamers.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by Paladrink
    Who cares about benchmark to be honest? we are almost to the 5th MMO generation if not the 6th, at this point if they fail to scalate content for pc its because their engine sucks, i hate when developers give gimick info, to be honest  i am waiting for this new ARR, but i dont want to feel fooled again, i hope they understand that.

The new client runs a lot better on shit-end PC's so even players who weren't able to play 1.0 might get a decent performance in ARR. That's why the benchmark is important.

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    Originally posted by Paladrink

The new client runs a lot better on shit-end PC's so even players who weren't able to play 1.0 might get a decent performance in ARR. That's why the benchmark is important.

I understand Golden, but read what i said, "if they fail to scalate" nowdays we are on a hardware convulsory gap, wich means you have a either entry-low-med-high end machines, obviously a few years ago, when ARR first release they had to put a benchmark tool for the hype of "omg my XX Ubber card cannot run it at full" but todays market is based on population, and technology allows us to set a more effitient engine, that can use full potential of the current pc specs and at the same time scalate back to pcs with less power by sacrificing elements and textures.

In the past have been several engine failures, not only on FFXIV but on games like Vanguard, which aside of being a good game overall, the engine totally failed and made endless bugs, and was imposible to recover. Not the case of ARR to be honest, but even so, you may want to show the scale of hardware by putting specs or a simple test sheet. I hope they understand the market nowdays should be wide focused, from entry laptops to high end specs, to gather more wide population. I might have a good computer, but i also want to try my GF to play, of course her laptop sucks and i dont want to buy a new one, etc... stuff like that.

Either way, i saw the benchmark, and its pretty much the same old thing back on the day when FFIV came out, i hope this does not backfire them again.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    I agree with Scellow. The gameplay is totally outdated. It's point and click, no action at all, and trust me that has nothing to do with ps3 limitations, in fact any current gen console is powerful enough to support gameplay beyond the point and click gameplay system. The issue right now is that the developers want ffxiv to be a WoW clone with final fantasy elements. Don't like that analogy? I'll be more fair. Ffxiv is like ffxi with ffxiv graphics. Ffxi was good for its time but its outdated, so is WoW. If they really wanted it to be point and click they could have made the battles more dramatic and flashy like in ffxiii. I saw an alpha test game dev video and I was shocked at how boring it looked, the player literally just stood there taking in hits while dishing out damage, not to mention the pacing was painfully slow.

I had high hopes for 2.0 after the mess that was 1.0, but now I've lost faith entirely. To be fair, the UI has been drastically improved for the better but that's like the only good thing about the game so far.
  • XCmanXCman Member UncommonPosts: 10

Thats not necessarily true.  They developed on PC first for a reason.  All the PS3 does is provide a different GUI and lowers the draw distance by quite a bit vs. the PC version.  

Sure there are still memory limitations for the PS3.  But all they do on the PS3, is limit how many characters you can see at the same time.  Thats hardly a problem for insances and parties.  However PvP this may become an issue as you may not see a guy before he loads in a large group of people.  And as we all know in PvP that can mean the death of you.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy
    I agree with Scellow. The gameplay is totally outdated. It's point and click, no action at all. Ffxiv is like ffxi with ffxiv graphics. Ffxi was good for its time but its outdated, so is WoW.

This whole notion of 'outdated' is an artifical fallacy based on your personal taste.

To me the gameplay looks like it hits just the right pace and is exactly what I would be looking for in a modern MMORPG that I would be willing to invest a lot of time into.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy
    I agree with Scellow. The gameplay is totally outdated. It's point and click, no action at all, and trust me that has nothing to do with ps3 limitations, in fact any current gen console is powerful enough to support gameplay beyond the point and click gameplay system. The issue right now is that the developers want ffxiv to be a WoW clone with final fantasy elements. Don't like that analogy? I'll be more fair. Ffxiv is like ffxi with ffxiv graphics. Ffxi was good for its time but its outdated, so is WoW. If they really wanted it to be point and click they could have made the battles more dramatic and flashy like in ffxiii. I saw an alpha test game dev video and I was shocked at how boring it looked, the player literally just stood there taking in hits while dishing out damage, not to mention the pacing was painfully slow.

I had high hopes for 2.0 after the mess that was 1.0, but now I've lost faith entirely. To be fair, the UI has been drastically improved for the better but that's like the only good thing about the game so far.

FFXI with better graphics is exactly what most people wanted FFXIV to be all along... if it had been that originally the game would have been a big hit. ARR looks to be closer to XI with some compromises and concessions made in favour modern systems and concepts. In my opinion it is quite promising.

It sounds to me like you just don't like the game, which is fine, but please try not to imply that the game is 'bad' or 'outdated' simply because it doesn't match your own personal needs.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

cool benchmark coming :3 loved the first 1

and yeah i wanted a FFXI with better graphics, improved gameplay , better UI , and an awesome ENDGAME  :( but oh well

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

*Facedesk*

I do appreciate SE actually communicating with players, but c'mon, give us some real information. Showing me a screenshot of the benchmark ain't exactly getting me excited to play your game.

p.s. Secretly, I can't wait to play their game, but ya...