Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC gaming is crap these days (2012)

Thanks to steam on every darn game I'm now considering giving up gaming as a time wasting hobby and start reading books or something.

Steam says no internet connection? But I am connected to the internet. Steam fails to or takes ages to update. Steam is just the biggest pile of doggy-do-do thats now have become an integrated part of PC gaming.

And the AAA titles costs more on steam.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eh they typically cost less on steam
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Shh  let him complain....

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Steam is the best thing to happen to PC gaming for a very very long time..

All those games in one place and most of them pretty cheap, super fast downloads access to them whereever i go.. hell i dont think i would game as much as  i do now if it was not for steam.

I have never had an issue with steam since it launch..

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I dislike Steam very much.

It is no longer a service but platform and I do not like to be pushed around using things I do not have use for nor like..

Pity.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    While  I agree that there are a whole lot of bad PC games that came out in 2012, I disagree that Steam has anything to do with PC gaming being crap in 2012.  I like Steam, but if you don't, don't use it and don't buy games that require it.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would credit Steam with making PC gaming better. I have an unparallelled selection of games to play, but new and old. I'm playing a game from 2006 that I would otherwise not be able to play and I'm playing new, indie games that I otherwise would likely never even see.

Game prices have remained stable for years, where every other form of entertainment I like has gotten more expensive. The hardware I need for the games I play hasn't changed in several years either.

PC gaming would be better if Episode 3 or if Half Life 3 would release, but otherwise there's not a whole lot I'd change.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Steam is the best thing to happen to the PC.  Easy access to games, no boxes, CD's or serial keys.   Plus the sales are amazing.
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by logicbomb82
    Steam is the best thing to happen to the PC.  Easy access to games, no boxes, CD's or serial keys.   Plus the sales are amazing.

Steam + Large hard drives. Chuck em all on a 2tb and never need to download/install again, if it goes kaput then Steam's a nice central place to re-download them to a new drive from :)

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

I like Steam.

I think 90% of my games came from it. In my country is hard to find in shops  the english versions of a game, everything get dubbed, badly, so on Steam i can get the game, directly to my PC and, at least for me, the download speed has not yet been a problem. Also in shops that sell games  here you risk to find all kind of troubles, i found at 49 euros All Points Bulletin, more then three months after it went free to play, when i pointed this at the shop owner he just shrugged and said "Nobody is going to buy it anyway" and left it on the shelf... go figure.

So, Steam work like a charm for me. 

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

While in the military, I had a box of game & music CDs and DVDs lost or stolen while moving to a new base. It was upwards of over $5000 worth of CDs and DVDs. Some of the games I wasn't too concerned about and didn't repurchase but other games I did so I could continue playing them with friends.

Later when Half-Life 2 came out, I bought the game and was introduced to Steam. I resisted at first but eventually Steam became the one place I go for games. Even some MMOs I have gotten through Steam.

I haven't lost a game since and with 3TB of space, I can have as many games as I want installed. Sometimes I have unistalled a game and then find out some of my friends are playing it again. Install was nothing more than clicking on install and letting the game download again while I play something else.

With the sales they have constantly, I have been able to get games I want to play cheaper. For example, I wanted to play Dishonored but with my business running slow the past few months, I decided I wasn't going to pay $60 for it. It went on sale for $30 one weekend and so I got it. Dishonored was well worth the $30.

Now just waiting for Assassin's Creed 3 to go on sale :)

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129
    I love Steam... I came here expecting an informative post about how games these days just aren't as good. I give you a 0/10.
  • ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

What about Portal?  Steam Game.  wtf ever, probably good idea.  Read instead.  As far as PC gaming being Crap?  check out Plandet side 2.  Go to consol gaming if your that wierded out, or are  you just tryign to stir us some controversy?

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by logicbomb82

If it wasn't for Steam I'd still probably be pirating games. If anything proves that Gabe's philosophy of GOOD service works it's the fact that I can't even be bothered to pirate new full-priced games anymore becuase I know that if I wait for a while they'll be available for less on some sale, if not on Steam then somewhere else as long as I can register it on Steam and have all of my digital games in one place.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

I have used steam since Day one With dod and CS before CS source or 1.6.

Thats said steam has its ups and downs but from a PC gamer stand point its the best thing since Gamespy or Kali (both really old game services for multi-player/online games.)

Its got bugs there are work arounds and the sales make up for alot. Not to mention go to best buy or another game shop and you will see why steam is used so much and by over 3.5mil people a day (thats not a made up number).

Now on the flip side our EU/AU friends do get screwed on the pricing since 1euro is not even with 1usd.

There are some region restrictions (which gamersgate, impulse/gamestop, and origins also have)

All in all its not a bad service but thats not to say it has it's days where I want to emo rage to

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

I couldn't get steam to connect, it said that I had no internet connection even when I had my web browser open so I uninstalled steam to reinstall it and whoops some 9GB got uninstalled as well... that must have been my games.

And I really don't understand why I have to install the games on my HDD when it could play from the steam servers and only install a tiny amount of data on my HDD.

TLDR: Steam is a shitty service that should be much better and PC gaming sucks because steam sucks.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Why are we even discussing steam on this site almost all thier games are fps, or co-op, or rpg. I think there is only 2 mmo's on steam. 

I hate steam due to the fact you got to be connected to the internet to run the games even why you have the phsical hard copy. 

Originally posted by erictlewis

Why are we even discussing steam on this site almost all thier games are fps, or co-op, or rpg. I think there is only 2 mmo's on steam. 

I hate steam due to the fact you got to be connected to the internet to run the games even why you have the phsical hard copy. 

This is the General Gaming section of the forums to discuss the non-MMORPG elements of games or am I wrong?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

If you wait for the big sales you can buy so many great games at very affordable prices.  I've bought some amazing game of the year editions of games for 7 dollars!  7 dollars!  And without even having to leave my house :)

Yeah, I've been irritated with Steam from time to time, but over all they are a great service. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Steam isn't perfect but it is good. No complaints here with Steam.
  • sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

I LOVE STEAM!!!

I really love their sales. I have bought more games in the 10 years since Steam has come out than in my 25 years of gaming previous. I usually spend a bunch of money when they do their big sales. Best one was like 5 or 6 Racing games (Dirt2 and all that) for like $20. 

I have a few friends that hate it but i don't understand why. No boxes, no CD's, no lost or damaged stuff. And installing on a second or 3rd computer is just a click away.

I really love when i get a new computer or re-load my old one and i just have to click the install button for the games i want on the new system.

I also love that you can keep in contact with all your gaming friends easily. You never have to worry that you lost their contact info. Steam holds it all for you.

Anyone that hates steam has other issues.

And PC Gaming may be a little weak right now but there are plenty of awesome games around. Like Planetside 2 (Also on Steam)

It still says: to run steam you must first connect to the internet.

Am I not connected to the internet now?!

Aaaaargh I hate this steam crap so much right now.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Originally posted by erictlewis Why are we even discussing steam on this site almost all thier games are fps, or co-op, or rpg. I think there is only 2 mmo's on steam.  I hate steam due to the fact you got to be connected to the internet to run the games even why you have the phsical hard copy.   
    This is the General Gaming section of the forums to discuss the non-MMORPG elements of games or am I wrong?

You are correct. There's usually at least one post in each thread of the general gaming forum about how the thread isn't about MMORPG. Don't let it get to you.

I've never had any issues actually getting Steam to work. Check your firewall settings, as they may be blocking the Steam application.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    alternatively you could just run steam in offline mode and play all your games that way. just sayin.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You don't need to be permenantly online with steam, you can run it in offline mode.

You just need to occasionally connect over the internet to verify your products.

If you are having to permenantly connect its some other drm in your game, and not steam.

When I go on holiday I get some of my lighter games on my laptop instead of pc, connect to steam before I fly off, then I'm good to go for a fortnight without needing to connect to the net at all.

As drm goes steam Is pretty good, its not like uplay, origin, gfwl etc..
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

I couldn't get steam to connect, it said that I had no internet connection even when I had my web browser open so I uninstalled steam to reinstall it and whoops some 9GB got uninstalled as well... that must have been my games.

And I really don't understand why I have to install the games on my HDD when it could play from the steam servers and only install a tiny amount of data on my HDD.

TLDR: Steam is a shitty service that should be much better and PC gaming sucks because steam sucks.

Dont think ive ever had steam remvoe all the downloaded games when i uninstalled it before, but its been some time since i have done that.

Steam is not a streaming service, you still need to downlaod the games onto your hard drive, this also allows you to set the games to offline mode so you can play when there is no connection.

Steam is not a shitty service, as I said before its the best thing to happen to PC gamnig for a very very long time and one of the best services I use as well as millions of others.

I would think there is somthing wrong with your PC and not steam unless of course there is some kind of general outage.

Do you have some kind of Firewall in place blocking steam? or maybe your behind a proxy server? Anyway yuor best bet is to get on the steam forums for help..