Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Went back and could not believe it......

tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

Got an email from a friend of mine saying she went back to eq2.  Her and I stopped playing a few years ago.  We both started playing eq2 when it came out in Nov. 2004 (8 years ago!!) and played for about 3 years.  So, about 5 years have gone by.  5 years!!!!

She said come back and try it again, a lot has changed, and I have a surprise for you when you do.

So, forgetting all the stupid restrictions of the f2p model and dated graphics, I went back.  The first thing that hit me was the opening music.  EQ2 was my first MMO and the opening music just brought back a wave of fun memories.

Then, after being in game for only a few minutes, the messages (/tell in eq2 world) started to pour in.  "OMG!! YOU'RE BACK!!!"  "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, YOU ARE BACK YAYYYY, JOIN OUR GUILD NOW!!!" and so on.... at least 20 people started to chat with me at once.

The surprise my friend was telling me about was many of my old guildmates who I met in 2004 and were still playing.  8 years laters and these people still remember me.  Still remember the fun times we had.  It was like going to a high school reunion!

It was great chatting and seeing my old friends.   EQ2 was the first and the last game where I belong to a guild of friends that really worked together, laughed together, and became a family together.  We helped each other level, organzied fun activities, crafted for each other, it was teamwork and it's best and it was FUN!!!

So although a fun time, it was also a sad reminder of the state of MMOs today.  Why has this not happened in any other game?  Why do people play a game for 8 years back then and today, only months, if that before leaving?  

I played LOTR, SWTOR, STO, GW2, TSW, and many many more.  How is it possible that the commorodity I found in EQ2 I have never been able to find in any other MMO, ever?????  Someone please explain that to me.   Is it just because it was my first MMO?  Or is it other MMOs, especially newer MMOs today, just don't promote grouping or guilding?

Well, at least I'll get that teamwork feeling again and I hope it lasts becasue it reminds me of the reason why I like MMO's in the first play.  Friends and fun.  Everything else just takes a back seat to that.

I wish grouping and guilding was more important and fun in games today.  I know, I'm being nostalgic....sigh.

Comments

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    I had that happen to me with Age of Conan after a 2 year absence.  It was so much fun to go back and the game seemed just that much more fun because of them.  I've also returned to some other games where my guild had completely disbanded and all my friends were gone (most likely hiding from me on purpose).  Anyway, a game is only fun to me if I can meet new friends and become a regular group -- you could take a totally crappy game and stick me in it with some awesome people who loved the game and I would go right along with it.  With friends there with you for help, inspiration, and companionship, the fun will follow.  I agree that MMO's should stress this more in games.  The games with guild search options and the ability to show guild leaders online and even whisper to them right there on the spot seem to have a good longevity :)
  • IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

What a nice story, i feel happy for you!

I know the feeling, and was extremely sad when SWG was closed, so many friends and so much fun, i realy want to relive that again!

I wish you a ton of fun in your re-discovered game!

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

Home is where the heart is and a game (any game) depends on the people you play with.

Awesome stories thanks for sharing.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Nice to hear it and glad you found your home.  I really do believe that it's the friends made in game that makes the game outstanding.  *Every* game out there is improved if you have a great set of mates to group up with.  No developer can  program friendships for us -- the only thing they can do is make the game good enough to form the friends in the first place, then give us lots of ways to keep them.
  • allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Soloing is too much the norm these days... my fondest memories of MMOs are from eq2 ( early ) as well, or bascially up through when pvp launched.

MMOs, used to be about working together in a larger group, now.. not so much. Its more about soloing and waving your shinys around. 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah it has changed a bit, I have made friends in other MMOs, but not to the same extent as in EQ2. I still have them all as friends on Facebook and actually care about them as real people.

While nostalgia is nice, EQ2 isnt the same game it was back then. Everything is easier, there is no need to work as a team. In fact all the dungeons now have a solo version. There are lots of botters and multi-boxers. People just farm money for charity loot. Raid progression is a joke.

EoF and TSO were the best, would be good if they could get back to those good old days. I think EQ2 has gone too far from that though, but will be looking forward to the latest version of Norrath in EQNext.

• Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67

every1 has his "first love" mmo wich memmories outshine everything after partially becouse it was the first, but it is true aswell games today are made of sh*t

for me atleast, the whole genre went into a bad direction, solo oriented, heavyly instanced, structured pvp themepark garbage,,,

and while our beloved oldschool games aint no more the way we remembered them ( pretty much each oldschool game tried to go with the spirit of the times and added solo content, often added instanced version of old raids etc,,, basicly: they got dumbed down and / or made easier ) they are still way better games then the biggest titles of nowdays,,, we're used to be offered breathing worlds by devs, now we're being thrown merely games like a bone, bad ones at that

for me it was Anarchy Online and Hells Heroes ( my organisation ((ao's guilds)) ), played it for like 6 years ( games like 11 in total right now ),,, and a few years after i quit i still wait for the new engine like it woud be christs second comming, put way more hopes into it than any new overhyped game, i miss my characters, i miss my friends, i miss my enemies,,,,                                  

i miss rubi-ka

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I started with a Dail - up and EQ in 2000 then went to EQ2 when it launched, played Vanguard and POTC now that PS2 is out im going to get the All access pass when my yearly EQ2 sub runs out in Feb. Alot of folks seem to hate Sony but seem to me that they along with Blizzard are the industry leaders and most other game makers seem to follow there lead not all but most.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by tort0429Or is it other MMOs, especially newer MMOs today, just don't promote grouping or guilding?

GW2 has this problem in very critical way, you dont need anyone for anything except for dungeons, and you dont need anyone in particular in dungeons since the semi-trinityless system. You are surrounded by oither people in "dynamic" events but you dont need them because of the way the events work.

I was in a guild in GW2 but no one did anything together since you simply dont have to, and no one asked help for anything since you dont need help, I cant remember anyone even asking an advice for anything. That's not very interesting in a long run.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    It is because it is your first MMO and most modern MMORPG#s are more like a advanced CoOp game and dont really need socializing which is fun. You got LFG tools and Open Events that everyone can join...ah and a small instanced world
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by evilastro

Yeah it has changed a bit, I have made friends in other MMOs, but not to the same extent as in EQ2. I still have them all as friends on Facebook and actually care about them as real people.

While nostalgia is nice, EQ2 isnt the same game it was back then. Everything is easier, there is no need to work as a team. In fact all the dungeons now have a solo version. There are lots of botters and multi-boxers. People just farm money for charity loot. Raid progression is a joke.

EoF and TSO were the best, would be good if they could get back to those good old days. I think EQ2 has gone too far from that though, but will be looking forward to the latest version of Norrath in EQNext.

how long have they had this?

EQ2 is one of my favorite MMORPGs, but in 2012, I find that the community has devolved into two games: hardcore raiders and house designers.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    I don't like the changes they made to it since it went f2p and abit before. Pretty much since they removed Qeynos and Freeport as starting cities and you can solo everything and level faster. Still, will probly get the next expansion. Should have made it EQ1 with EQ2 graphics to start with but they didn't.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

just went back to play eq2 as well, i was also happy to be greeted by a couple of friends one or 2 who had never left and a few like me who took a break and came back recenty.

it's one of the good ones.

whether my themepark of choice is eq2 or rift remains to be seen but they're both good games IMHO.... the community of eq2 (at least on my server) is superior though.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

You know I would love to play this game. I used to play it back in the days but it always felt like I didnt belong. Kind of like coming to the party very late you know and you get that feeling like all the fun stuff has already happend. Also I don't know anyone that plays so it bugs me you know that everyone is established and I would be all by my lonesome trying to figure things out.

I do have a couple questions though. If I were to say get this game are there certain expansion packs I should get as well?

Is there a certain server I should be on because I really want to find a place where the community is great. One thing I have to say that GW2 is lacking is that community aspect and that is just to much of a turn off to me.

EQ2 is like the bigger more established brother of Rift and I love Rift. I can look up the info but just a good place to start you know where I could meet like minded cool people.

Another thing I like about the game is the pet classes have so many skins for their pets. I love that aspect.

So if anyone could perhaps answer my question or maybe even better point me to a useful thread that would be very nice.

Also congrats on your return OP, friends do make any experience so much better.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

how long have they had this?

EQ2 is one of my favorite MMORPGs, but in 2012, I find that the community has devolved into two games: hardcore raiders and house designers.

Started with Skyshrine in the second half of DoV, and they carried it through to the new expansion.

Originally posted by Graey

You know I would love to play this game. I used to play it back in the days but it always felt like I didnt belong. Kind of like coming to the party very late you know and you get that feeling like all the fun stuff has already happend. Also I don't know anyone that plays so it bugs me you know that everyone is established and I would be all by my lonesome trying to figure things out.

I do have a couple questions though. If I were to say get this game are there certain expansion packs I should get as well?

Only two expansions you need are Age of Discovery (which is more of a feature pack than an expansion) and Chains of Eternity.

AoD is needed for the beastlord class, reforging, mercenaries and the dungeon maker features.

CoE is the latest expansion and includes all previous content if you buy it.

Originally posted by Graey

Is there a certain server I should be on because I really want to find a place where the community is great. One thing I have to say that GW2 is lacking is that community aspect and that is just to much of a turn off to me.

Oh and to answer this, your best bet is probably Antonia Bayle or Freeport. AB being a roleplaying server and the home of a lot of raid guilds.

I used to play on Unrest because it was the Aussie server, it was usually pretty busy at all times due to having both oceanic and US players.

If you are a UK player your only real choice is Splitpaw.

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Man, I know what you mean, EQ2 is awesome, and I think the gameplay promotes this type of play and it is what draws me to the game as well. I really hope that hey continue this  type of atmosephere well on into EQ next and next and next!!!!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

your best bet is probably Antonia Bayle or Freeport. AB being a roleplaying server and the home of a lot of raid guilds.

I used to play on Unrest because it was the Aussie server, it was usually pretty busy at all times due to having both oceanic and US players.

If you are a UK player your only real choice is Splitpaw.

good advice

Freeport does have a few Euro raid guilds 

for a full year in 2011, Freeport was the only ftp server choice for  both US and Euro

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

It is nice to see someone else discovering how much fun EQ2 can be.

I went back a month ago and helped start a guild of people from MMORPG.com and we are having a blast.

We have over 50 active players,everyone rerolled fresh and the best part is that we actually group and play together.  It is shocking to find some many other people tired of solo / co-op MMOs in the same game.  People work to schedule Hertiage quests to help get our new Guild hall outfitted and Sheduled low and high level dungeon runs with the help of mentoring and chrono mages.

The guild is called I N S T I N C T on Antonia Bayle, we are a month old and still have a good spread of character levels.  If you ever wanted to give EQ2 a try head over and check us out.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Hm perhaps Ill check this game out again. I just need a guild where the players are low enough that I can group with them. I really want and liket he pet classes in this game.
  • rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

We have a wide range of chacracters at the moment from low teens to mid 70's. 

The higher level players mentoring alot so that we can still play together and we usually try to run Dungeons about 10 levels higher than the group average to add some challenge.

Stop by Antonia Bayle and look us up, guild name  "I N S T I N C T".

• badbingo10badbingo10 Member Posts: 46

Everquest 2 is, and always has been very comunity based. Yes there are solo quest lines, but going it alone is just not the viable option it is in other games. I wish more mmo's would adopt this approach and stop catering for people who's playstyles are probably better suited to single player games.

I had a similar experiance with EQ2, and havent found anything like it since.

It was a very good read tho OP.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Nice post that would normally give me inspiration but it went f2p, AND F2P IS CRAP !!!!
  • DrogenDrogen Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by rutaq

It is nice to see someone else discovering how much fun EQ2 can be.

I went back a month ago and helped start a guild of people from MMORPG.com and we are having a blast.

We have over 50 active players,everyone rerolled fresh and the best part is that we actually group and play together.  It is shocking to find some many other people tired of solo / co-op MMOs in the same game.  People work to schedule Hertiage quests to help get our new Guild hall outfitted and Sheduled low and high level dungeon runs with the help of mentoring and chrono mages.

The guild is called I N S T I N C T on Antonia Bayle, we are a month old and still have a good spread of character levels.  If you ever wanted to give EQ2 a try head over and check us out.

I'm actually trying out different F2P games right now and am looking for a more sandbox style. I started with Everquest Online Adventures so I was thinking of hopping back into the universe. I may look you guys up once I get settled and decide if I wanna play the game for any length of time.