Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wii U - my favourite console and a question

Comments

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    co-op mario on the wii-u is the most fun i've had gaming in a long time.

what was it like?

it was a lot like super mario brothers except there were 5 of us playing at once.  with collision between us it was good fun.  yu can alos pick eachother up and throw eachother,  and jump off eachothers heads to get higher.  also,  you can eat eachother if you get a yoshi.  best mario yet.  even better than mario 3.  fred and ben savage in the wizard with the power glove.  oh yeah.

for the most part, any game you can play with others is so much more fun.. so i can imagine.. thats mostly why i went to mmos...

I"m not bashing the wii... i considered getting one.. and my girlfriend occasionally asks me to get it.. but she doensn't play games at all... and only watches.. and i'd hate to buy a system for only one game.

i havent owned a console since gamecube.  im visiting my sister and her husband (my bro in law) bought a wii-u.  i was impressed.  not at all what i expected.   it's actually really really cool.  im not too into the moveing the controller or whatever thing they got goin but the connection to the internet and being able to group with people is really really cool.  for a console.

i think mmos are gonna have competition. .because most consoles are going that route... if the wii:u comes out with more games that i like.. i'll consider buying it.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    co-op mario on the wii-u is the most fun i've had gaming in a long time.

what was it like?

it was a lot like super mario brothers except there were 5 of us playing at once.  with collision between us it was good fun.  yu can alos pick eachother up and throw eachother,  and jump off eachothers heads to get higher.  also,  you can eat eachother if you get a yoshi.  best mario yet.  even better than mario 3.  fred and ben savage in the wizard with the power glove.  oh yeah.

for the most part, any game you can play with others is so much more fun.. so i can imagine.. thats mostly why i went to mmos...

I"m not bashing the wii... i considered getting one.. and my girlfriend occasionally asks me to get it.. but she doensn't play games at all... and only watches.. and i'd hate to buy a system for only one game.

i havent owned a console since gamecube.  im visiting my sister and her husband (my bro in law) bought a wii-u.  i was impressed.  not at all what i expected.   it's actually really really cool.  im not too into the moveing the controller or whatever thing they got goin but the connection to the internet and being able to group with people is really really cool.  for a console.

i think mmos are gonna have competition. .because most consoles are going that route... if the wii:u comes out with more games that i like.. i'll consider buying it.

yeah,  im not about to rush out and buy a wii-u.  but,  it was much better than i expected.  if i ever bought a new nintendo (be it wii-u or whatever they come out with in the future)  it would be to play the old classics.  you can download old NES games for a few dollars.   i spent a few hours this morning playing mike tysons puchout and act raiser.  but the wii-u does prove, at least imo,  that consoles aren't that far from having mmo's more prevelant in their repetaur.

yeah,  im not about to rush out and buy a wii-u.  but,  it was much better than i expected.  if i ever bought a new nintendo (be it wii-u or whatever they come out with in the future)  it would be to play the old classics.  you can download old NES games for a few dollars.   i spent a few hours this morning playing mike tysons puchout and act raiser.  but the wii-u does prove, at least imo,  that consoles aren't that far from having mmo's more prevelant in their repetaur.

I don't think for the most part... that console games could actually be mmos.. not at this point.. (not counting mmos that are downloaded and played with consoles). but at the same time.. they meet the core requirements.. u can play with various ppl on the console and you can make friends...one of the latest lotr games had online playability.. borderlands has online coop.. a lot of games do.. i just wish games like dragons dogma/infamous/assassins creed had coop modes.. it would be amazing to play as my personally created char alongside other ppl..

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Well...You dont know roguelikes?  You must be a youngin!

Edit : That was sarcasm and should not be taken as an insult. 

But seriously.  Theres a severe lack of roguelikes tbh.  I remember first playing all kinds of those in ASCII graphics...Oh those were the days. rofl

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Castillle

I have very littele xp with nintendo products

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    uuddlrlrababselectstart  - that's right 2 player bitches

Nah not a nintendo product at all xD PS1 and PS2 had more roguelikes than n64 and gamecube. 

This was my first roguelike and Ive been hooked on them ever since. I bought my consoles based on whether I could find those xD.

Edit :

Dreamcast was one of the best consoles for me and died when the rest of the consoles released their stuff.  Idk..Im slightly fearful that would happen to Nintendo.

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Nah not a nintendo product at all xD PS1 and PS2 had more roguelikes than n64 and gamecube. 

This was my first roguelike and Ive been hooked on them ever since. I bought my consoles based on whether I could find those xD.

Edit :

Dreamcast was one of the best consoles for me and died when the rest of the consoles released their stuff.  Idk..Im slightly fearful that would happen to Nintendo.

got a name of an actual title for wii?

Chocobos dungeon,shiren the wanderer, baroque, pokemon mystery dungeon

( o.o)
    (")(")

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    No intrest at all in a Nintendo console.
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Robokapp

not a console player...since super mario bros.

once i discovered PC gaming there was no way back.

waving my hands around is not my idea of fun...it's not the input that matters to me - it's the output.

what are your favorite games/types?

and lately consoles have seem more rpg than a lot of mmos... dragons dogma.. dragon age.... infamous assassin's creed

I like games where I create stuff with only partial control over 'everything' and the AI itself reacts to my creations.

things like Majesty, Cities in Motion (replacing the long-incompatible Traffic Giant). , old city-building games like Caesar 3, Pharaoh...and MMOs like EVE for the crafting/trading aspect.

And most Westwood games, particularly Tiberian Sun and Renegade.

RIP Westwood.

RIP Sierra.

going to have to look some of that up.. to see if i can understand.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

Edit : That was sarcasm and should not be taken as an insult. 

But seriously.  Theres a severe lack of roguelikes tbh.  I remember first playing all kinds of those in ASCII graphics...Oh those were the days. rofl

I've been gaming since the early 80's and I can honestly say I've never actually heard that term for those type of games before, and I've played my fair share of them.  Learn something new everyday I guess.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I might get back to nintendo when they make a gamecube 2. A console that beats its competitors by having great comparative specs rather than some unique controller gimmicks.

I do like nintendos in house stuff like zelda, metroid, pikmin, some of the Mario games. But with the Wii been so far behind ps3 and xbox 360 performance wise you didn't get all the cross platform games on it. The ultimate irony when you think it was one if the biggest games on the snes, the Wii couldn't handle streetfighter 4. gamecube was different you got games on that, that wouldnt work on ps2 and xbox as they lacked the graphical punch.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by erictlewis

There is no way you could sell me a wi of any type, the first ones were junk the remotes came aprart and sometimes the fell off the cords. I know one guy who trashed his td tv by tossing the remote into the screen playing bowling. 

Had my wii since release and have had no build qualities with it..

As for your mate tossing the remote at his TV well thats his own stupid fault for  throwing it at his TV..

Saying that after the first year it only really comes on once or twice a year for parties and holdiays and so on..

Ftl is sort of a roguelike. But its on a space ship instead of in dungeons. It has very roguelike mechanics though - permadeath, hard, highly random,thought needed in how you "level" / upgrade equipment.

Other examples would be dungeons of dreadmoor as a pure roguelike and the binding of Isaac as a roguelike / twinstick hybrid.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I might get back to nintendo when they make a gamecube 2. A console that beats its competitors by having great comparative specs rather than some unique controller gimmicks.

I do like nintendos in house stuff like zelda, metroid, pikmin, some of the Mario games. But with the Wii been so far behind ps3 and xbox 360 performance wise you didn't get all the cross platform games on it. The ultimate irony when you think it was one if the biggest games on the snes, the Wii couldn't handle streetfighter 4. gamecube was different you got games on that, that wouldnt work on ps2 and xbox as they lacked the graphical punch.

Gcube graphics were awesome. Like... Super mario sunshine, luigis mansion, ssbm, wind waker, crystal chronicles.... They all looked gorgeous.

unlike crystal chronicles on the wii which had farking ds graphics! I had thousands od hours logged in the gcube one o.o

( o.o)
    (")(")

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
  • scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by simonwest80
    Originally posted by sagil

You can even blow on it to make your character jump or whatever. I am certain that the new PS and Xbox will replicate a model after that. It's industry standard now I believe. And the Xbox and PS will probably cost 700 euros, which Wii U does not.

You do know the blowing thing has been in Ninty stuff since the DS?  

Also based on stats and current market behavior the PS4/Xbox will be appx the same price as the U.  

The only thing the U currently has is appx a 1 year head start.  Will this be enough?  I dont know, but Ninty need to get the backing of the 3rd parties and with them decent versions of the games, without them like the Wii as far as a "proper" gaming machine goes it will flop again.  Will i buy one?  I really dont know, after the gimmickery of the Wii faded for me i lost interest, certainly wont be soon as the 1st party titles seem a long way off, and i will really need a decent Zelda at least to make me part the cash for atm seems to be a slightly upgraded xbox 360 released 7 years too late.  If the games come and the screen doesnt feel like a gimmick i may pick one up next year sometime.

yeh wii was such a flop it outsold ps3 and 360 (prove me wrong). had great action games, some of the best RPG's this decade and all ya mario's and zelda's (my opinion)

You do know Sony, Microsoft and nintendo sell their consoles at a loss then make the money back on the cut they get from game sales (its why pc games are typically £10 less than on console). So in that regards I'm not sure the Wii was a "bigger success" than the xbox 360 & ps3, they seem to shift a lot more games.
  • scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by needalife214
    The wii is an interesting console... but as previous posters say.. with no real games.. and all being targeted to the ultra casual... I've no interest in nintendo.

launched with Black Ops, Ninja Gaiden, and ZombiU.

all those ultra casual games.

lol... notice i said the wii.. not wii:U. if those games are done well and aren't kiddy.. then sure... but like others say in this forum.... when you build up a history and you are very consistent.. u have to do a lot to change ppls minds about you.. and nintendo has had the same companies being the primary  producers of games for their consoles for the longest

edit: at one point i considered buying the wii.. but when i noticed that only one game had come out that i was interested in.. that decided it.. the wii wasn't an option..

edit: not to mention the wii was marketed as being a console for casual gamers and those interested in its exercise/fitness games and control use.

no more hero's 1&2, xenoblade chronicles, the last story, pandora's tower. just to name a few not so casual games

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Personally, all I want is my Steam Box. The console competitor Valve is working on. :)

And this more recent story from the VGAs.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

I'm glad that Square Enix is supporting Wii U. One of my old fav companies.

"Square Enix Wii U games include big titles such as Dragon Quest X and a Final Fantasy Wii U game as well. Details about these games are sparse at the moment, but Square Enix has voiced their support of the Wii U console and they will no doubt be bringing many of their franchises to the Wii U. Here is list of confirmed Square Enix Wii U games as we know so far:

List of Square Enix Wii U games

Also a rumored Activision MMOFPS title.
  • simonwest80simonwest80 Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You do know Sony, Microsoft and nintendo sell their consoles at a loss then make the money back on the cut they get from game sales (its why pc games are typically £10 less than on console). So in that regards I'm not sure the Wii was a "bigger success" than the xbox 360 & ps3, they seem to shift a lot more games.

Im glad someone understood my point as i was sure a Nintendo fan boy would come jump on something i have said.  The Wii was bought by everyone and their grandmother, but these people only buy 2 games a year, vs the 18+ market in which the PS3s and Xboxs are aimed with people who often than not have much more money to buy games and would buy i would think a minimum of 12 games a year.

Dont get me wrong the Wii was a great little console, and had some gems, but lets be honest even in the last 12months how many Wii games were launched, i would hazard a guess in about 10, and im sure that is being nice, were as xbox/ps3 would have 4 to 5 a week launching.

And other reasons why i could see Wii selling really well is like me i have donated several Wiis to younger members of the family and then always replaced them (3 in total)

Generally I'm a nintendo fan, I've never felt the urge to buy an xbox (can play sake fakes better on my pc and not get ripped off by xbox live) or a playstation (the first one was basicly the Wii of its generation, lots of games, but most if them were shit)

I think a good nintendo like the game cube, compliments pc gaming as it tends to get the style of games you don't get on pc - e.g. pre Wii, nintendo was the best platform for beat em ups, Japanese style rpgs and platformers.
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I won't be buying one for various reasons:

• Your online nintendo account is tied to one single console
    • The online ecostructure is old fashioned, seperate on Wii, Wii U and DS/3DS.
    • Laggy menus and applications
    • in the EU you can only view and buy 18+ content between 11pm and 3am
    • the battery life of the controller is poor
    • it costs too much, to get one with no games is £300 +
    • I don't know anyone that plays on nintendo consoles anymore
    • All the major selling points, online/HD, other than the controller already exist at a cheaper price
    The games look OK, ZombiU looks good as does Mario but that's it, to get a pack with those games would cost me £370 which is just ridiculous.

I am sure the next gen of consoles will be priced similarly but I will wait and see what they offer, currently I dont want any of them and find gaming in Windows much better value for money all round.